Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Daily workout

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TeenBeast

PostSubject: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:12 am

Hey guys!!

I'm new to the forum but I am really inspried by what I see! I've been doing the traditional gym work for a year now, did swimming before and even P90X and the stuff I do with my own bodyweight are my favourite workouts!

I've been doing the traditional Bench, Deadlift, Squat, and all that at the gym, had some good strength and mass gains, but I have some fat on me. I am bored with it though, and I really love bodyweight exercises. Now, I am cutting right now, but I was wondering if I can still pick up the routines you guys do. It requires strength I can see, and its hard to gain strength while cutting (: (Cutting is when you are in calorie deficit to cut fat)

I can do weighted dips with a 15 kg plate for 6 reps for 5 sets.
For pullups I can do 7 reps semi wide with a 10 kg plate, 5 sets aswell.

Pushup max: 74
Pullup max: 12
Chinup max: 13
Dips max: 18 (last two were sorta bad though
One handed: 4 on right hand 3 on left

Now, I have a bodyweight chest workout I really love, which includes variations. Dips, pushups, incline pushups, dive bombs, spidermans, planche (I have to use the wall), 1 handed, bicep pushups, typewriter, wide and so on.

For my back workout I do lots and lots of pullups and try to do different ones. I cant do a single muscle up though Sad

Now, I wanna cancel my gym member ship and start doing bodyweight workouts, the stuff I see you guys do on youtube. I am just wondering, is it overtraining if you do it daily? Or can you still do that and improve.

I'd love to see a routine you guys would give me (: If its only 3 times a week or so, can I then supplement it with heavy weights at the gym, fullbody workouts or something?

Thanks for reading and all the help!

PS: 16 years old 5'8'' 165 pounds 14% BF
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taiga

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:47 am

Welcome to the forum, nice to see you here Wink

Those number you posted are already pretty good (except the dips).
(btw what do you mean with one handed? pushups?)

Your approach is already pretty good to training, and if you like it, by all means then do it. Fun is the most important factor in training. Imagine dreadening your workouts?

About Overtraining: It depends on you. If you're accustomed to it, it won't. If you're new to it, it will surely lead to overtraining and other injuries. So train smart.

You could use the routine that I posted for RedWhite
look here: http://bar-barians.forumotions.net/training-routines-f1/newbie-at-training-t917.htm#8700
All you would have to do is adjust the reps of the sets depending on your max.
You should use 20-35 for pushups
5-7 for pullups
10-12 for dips
and 20-30 for squats
(you should change the variation of the exercise every set)

And If you are feeling fresh and ready to go you can of course supplement it with heavy weights and full body workouts
but watch out for overtraining or injuries.

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TeenBeast

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks for replying!

I thought nearly 20 dips was pretty good Razz Oh well.

The workout you listed, is that for strength, for muscle, or for cutting? I know I wont be able to gian muscle with it (cause of the calorie deficit), but perhaps strength?

Personally, when I do bodyweight leg workouts I don't get much out of it. Perhaps I could do the upperbody workout Monday/Wensday/Friday and then on Tuesday/Thursday I could squat/Deadlift heavy at the gym? Thats core work too. And then rest on weekends Razz

The program you listed is simple though, how come there are no variation of pushups etc.?

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taiga

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:08 pm

Good for the start yea Wink

That is a simple beginner workout to get the reps up and some basic strength to do the more advanced stuff later.
Like front levers, back levers, dragonflags, side levers, planche, maltese etc. If you like it you can add some bodyweight strength work into the rests between sets, that works really well.

And it's not quite true that you can't lose fat and build muscle at the same time. It just requires discipline and the right method. The burpees and the jumping jacks with no rest that are in the routine will get rid of fat (you can add as many rounds to it as you want so you get your metabolism running and always move as fast as possible during the finisher). And if you keep doing strength (bodyweight advanced stuff or lifting heavy) or strength endurance stuff (high reps bodyweight) it's possible to build muscle at the same time.

You sure can replace Routine B with squats and deadlifts in the gym if you want too.

You should do a different variation of pushups every set
In Routine A you do 10 sets of pushups meaning 10 different variations of pushups (if you know that much).
Look at Dan's pushups variations video: http://bar-barians.forumotions.net/tutorials-f12/pushup-variations-beginner-to-advanced-t346.htm for some inspiration.

You shouldn't always see a Routine as something graven in stone. You can put in some creativity too Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TeenBeast

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:41 pm

Well I do these different variation of pushups:

Divebombers
Decline
Regular
Bicep
Wide
Clap
One handed
Typewriter

For cardio I have a HIIT routine that includes Burpees and Jumping jacks actually
30 secBurpee
30 sec Jumpingjacks
30 sec Wallclimbers
30 secBurpee
30 sec Jumpingjacks
30 sec Wallclimbers
30 sec REST

x5

Go as fast as possible.

Now, I know this is a hard question, but lets say I do your upperbody routine, which is probably 1½ hours or so and then 1 hour of legs twice a week and then rest in the weekends. In the weekend I would recovry.

To gain muscle and lose some fat, how many calories would you recommend me eating?

Right now I am eating 1650 (its low, cause I am cutting) but I used to bulk at 3000. I would not want to gain fat again Razz Very self consious cause I never had abs etc.

Also, if not at the gym I cant do weighted pullups/Dips Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taiga

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:27 pm

Those variations are already pretty good Wink

That HIIT routine is also very good and is exactly what you need to lose that fat.

I recommend eating in a calorie deficit but not to much
about 200-300 calories. It's important that you do strength work (be it bodyweight advanced stuff or heavy lifting) so that your muscles can grow.

Combining HIIT with Strength training is a very efficient way to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. It worked for my best friend and it will work for you.
(ps: you can also combine strength training and HIIT in the same workout, thats what really makes fun, add in some front levers, back levers, pistols, l-sits, pushups into those HIIT burpees and jumping jacks.)

While weighted dips and pullups are great for training strength they are not necessary to increase strength. There are other ways to do that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TeenBeast

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:11 pm

So a workout to increase stregnth, muscle and lose some fat could be:

Monday:

10x 35 pushups
20x 6 dips
15x7 pullups

Finish off with 8 mins of HIIT cardio.

Tuesday:

Heavy heavy deadlifts 5-6 rep range
Squats
Calves
etc.

Wensday:

10x 35 pushups
20x 6 dips
15x7 pullups

Thursday:
Squats
Calves
etc.

Friday:

10x 35 pushups
20x 6 dips
15x7 pullups

Weekend:

*REST*

With around 2000 calories, mostly focusing on protein?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taiga

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:32 pm

TeenBeast wrote:
So a workout to increase stregnth, muscle and lose some fat could be:

Monday:

10x 35 pushups
20x 6 dips
15x7 pullups

Finish off with 8 mins of HIIT cardio.

Tuesday:

Squats
Calves
etc.

Wensday:

10x 35 pushups
20x 6 dips
15x7 pullups

Thursday:
Squats
Calves
etc.

Friday:

10x 35 pushups
20x 6 dips
15x7 pullups

Weekend:

*REST*

With around 2000 calories, mostly focusing on protein?

yes Wink thats exactly what i meant.
with the pushups and dips and pullups you increase strength endurance.

with the deadlifts, squats etc in the 5-6 rep range you will increase strength and muscle mass(but don't expect to be able to do front levers, back levers etc. just because you can lift heavy)

and with the HIIT you will get rid of fat by increasing your metabolism.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TeenBeast

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:38 pm

So when do I start practicing muscleups, the "L" pullup and all those things? Right now I am on another program where I am trying to lean out some more. When I get to a comfertable BF%, I will start doing the workout I just listed (: I love the aethestic build, not big and bulky
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MarineMotivatedMe

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:42 pm

what are bicep pushups?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taiga

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:45 pm

TeenBeast wrote:
So when do I start practicing muscleups, the "L" pullup and all those things? Right now I am on another program where I am trying to lean out some more. When I get to a comfertable BF%, I will start doing the workout I just listed (: I love the aethestic build, not big and bulky

@Marine: i think he is talking about pseudo maltese pushups, like pseudo planche pushups but with your fingertips pointing to your feet.

@TeenBeast:
For muscle ups you should watch daWALLi's tutorial:
http://bar-barians.forumotions.net/tutorials-f12/muscle-up-tutorial-t347.htm

My buddy went from 19%BF to 9%BF with a program where I mixed HIIT with Heavy Lifting for time.
it was like:
30sec Burpees
30sec Jumping Jacks
5 Pullups
5 Deadlifts (with his 5 rep max weight)
30sec Burpees
30sec Mountainclimbers
15 Pushups
5 Squats (in the power rack and again his 5 rep max weight)
1min to 1 1/2min rest and again for 4-5 rounds
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TeenBeast

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:49 pm

MarineMotivatedMe wrote:
what are bicep pushups?

Military I guess they are called Razz Its the pushup where you have your arms really close to your sides and they dont flare out but stay parallel to your body, and works the bicep (IMO) more than the chest.

Also Taiga, did he do that workout every day or what? Seems like a cool workout. What did he eat and so on?

I think I will actually start the routine I listed tomorrow and eat 2000 calories daily with protein as the main source. I know I wont gain muscle but I might be able to lose some fat and reveal some of the muscle I have built up over the last year (: Perhaps gain some stregnth though. Might add some bench presses after the dips, just to have that compound lift in there.

What do you guys think?

EDIT:

Also two more questions Smile

I usually use lifting gloves, should I take those away on my pullups to increase grip strength? If I dont use them I stop maybe 1-2 pullups earlier because of the pain in my hands hehe. Gotta stop being a pussy I guess.

Also, if I do it at the gym, can I add weight to maybe 2 of the dips and pullup sets? Just to get that good heavy lift in?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taiga

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:01 pm

Oh you mean those, I think you mean triceps not biceps. The triceps + the front shoulder + chest are the primary pushing muscles of the body.

No he did it every other day and on the days between the workouts he just did some stretching. He didn't really count his calories I just told him to eat clean and healthy and to eat about 6 smaller meals a day.
It sure worked for him.

Why don't you mix the HIIT with some heavy lifts or advanced bodyweight stuff? This will build muscle, strength and shed the fat at the same time. Maybe not as well as if you did one thing at a time but it sure does it.

If I were you I would drop the bench press and do a standing overhead press or the clean and press. Because the overhead press develops the shoulder more completely than the bench press. But thats your decision.

As long as its just gloves and no straps its fine. Even tho I never use gloves except when its winter and the bars outside are cold.

You are free to do what you want. Adding weight to maybe the last two sets will sure increase strength so go for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TeenBeast

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:09 pm

I will do that workout I listed then starting tomorrow! I might add the HIIT routine I wrote maybe once or twice a week, just to add some conditioning and help shed even more fat! Might try the workout you listed a day aswell (;

On the pushups I will do variations, not just 10 sets of reg. pushups. Same for pullups. Perhaps two x weighted, 5 x regular and then the rest could be "L" pullup or something like that. Maybe mixed grip.

I actually think on my DL/Squat day, I will do 5 sets of heavy squats, 5 sets of heavy DL and then do 17 min HIIT I listed (: That means I get 2x cardio sessions weekly aswell. I wonder if I would be able to do that straight afterwards or if I would be wiped out hehe.

I gotta find a non-commercial gym, these guys will think I'm wierd lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taiga

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:13 pm

TeenBeast wrote:
I will do that workout I listed then starting tomorrow! I might add the HIIT routine I wrote maybe once or twice a week, just to add some conditioning and help shed even more fat! Might try the workout you listed a day aswell (;

On the pushups I will do variations, not just 10 sets of reg. pushups. Same for pullups. Perhaps two x weighted, 5 x regular and then the rest could be "L" pullup or something like that. Maybe mixed grip.

I actually think on my DL/Squat day, I will do 5 sets of heavy squats, 5 sets of heavy DL and then do 17 min HIIT I listed (: That means I get 2x cardio sessions weekly aswell. I wonder if I would be able to do that straight afterwards or if I would be wiped out hehe.

I gotta find a non-commercial gym, these guys will think I'm wierd lol

Exactly what i said Wink change the variation every set or at least sometimes during those 10 sets.

I'm sure you can do it straight afterwards I have done it before too Wink
It's all in your head.

Don't worry about getting weird looks. It's normal Razz The results matter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TeenBeast

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:22 pm

Yeah thats true. I will try this routine all of January month and see how my bodyfat goes, it it stays the same or if it drops. Same with strength, if it drops or if I am able to maintain it with this low calories.

I'm actually really excited. Hope the one pullup bar isnt occupied all day tomorrow with all those New Years people at the gym hehe.

One thing though, doing the upperbody workout will take a long time I think, if I have 30sec - 1 min rest between each set, it will be a 1½-2 hour long workout Razz Will be tierd when I reach the dips
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taiga

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:27 pm

TeenBeast wrote:
Yeah thats true. I will try this routine all of January month and see how my bodyfat goes, it it stays the same or if it drops. Same with strength, if it drops or if I am able to maintain it with this low calories.

I'm actually really excited. Hope the one pullup bar isnt occupied all day tomorrow with all those New Years people at the gym hehe.

One thing though, doing the upperbody workout will take a long time I think, if I have 30sec - 1 min rest between each set, it will be a 1½-2 hour long workout Razz Will be tierd when I reach the dips

I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure it'll work for you geek

Oh yeah. I hate those people you will see them once or twice and then never again except for maybe the next new years again. That's why I mainly workout in the park, my room or in the garden at our self-made bar

I personally never count my rest times. I go for the next set when i feel ready. But don't make the rest too short because at set 8, 9, 10 you
will maybe feel it then Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TeenBeast

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:43 pm

I'll keep you updated on how it works out for me! Will also lurk the forums abit Wink

And of course ask some questions here and there haha!

Thanks for all the help, appreciate it.

(Actually, one of the reasons I want to start bodyweight is to be able to do the 'Flag' and a handstand pushup Razz ) I hope I can do that when I am done Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taiga

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:46 pm

TeenBeast wrote:
I'll keep you updated on how it works out for me! Will also lurk the forums abit Wink

And of course ask some questions here and there haha!

Thanks for all the help, appreciate it.

(Actually, one of the reasons I want to start bodyweight is to be able to do the 'Flag' and a handstand pushup Razz ) I hope I can do that when I am done Wink

Okay Wink Will wait for your updates.

Helping is my second nature santa

If you want to do that you should also start to practice it a bit. For Handstand pushups you should start with the Pike Press and Progress to HS hold at the wall etc.

For the Flag you should try tucked holds, windshield wipers etc.
Front levers and Back Levers will help you with the Flag. You can also do those tucked, half or in straddle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TeenBeast

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:02 pm

I think I will add atleast 1 set of frontlevers on top of my upperbody routine, but those other exercises you listed, should I just practice them maybe once or twice a week after a workout? I can do a handstand for a few secs and do handstand pushup if I lean against the wall but they are hard as no other :p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taiga

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:23 pm

TeenBeast wrote:
I think I will add atleast 1 set of frontlevers on top of my upperbody routine, but those other exercises you listed, should I just practice them maybe once or twice a week after a workout? I can do a handstand for a few secs and do handstand pushup if I lean against the wall but they are hard as no other :p

You could just to them a few times over the course of the day.
Just don't let fatigue build up. Maybe do 1 handstand pushup every 1 or 2 hours.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TeenBeast

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:26 am

Alright I'll do them whenever there is a commercial on TV or something Razz

I was wondering though, at so low cals and that hard training, will I be overtraining and not making gains or should it work out? Kinda stupid question.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taiga

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:00 am

TeenBeast wrote:
Alright I'll do them whenever there is a commercial on TV or something Razz

I was wondering though, at so low cals and that hard training, will I be overtraining and not making gains or should it work out? Kinda stupid question.

This depends on you. You have to listen to your body.
If you're tired, dizzy, have headaches, can't sleep right etc.
Just watch out for signs of overtraining.
But to get into a real state of overtraining you need months if not years to really get into that state.
Most people are only in an Accumulated Fatigue state that can be overcome with 3-5 days of rest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TeenBeast

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:00 pm

Well I finished my workout today and I am smashed :O I did some pushups yesterday so that could be why aswell, since I wasnt fresh (Know its bad to train the same twice but I thought once wouldnt hurt).

I did 10 different sets of pushups, wasnt too bad.
For the pullups I did
6-7x5 Very Wide
6-7x5 Wide
6-7x5 Regular

20x10 dips

Those dips were freaking horrible. I mean, they took me like 50 min (was sorta boring actually Sad ) But the last ten sets were so hard! And every time I reached 8 reps or so it was horrible, but I'm happy I finished. I think its because I have been lifting for strength (heavy weights, 5 reps) for so long, that I am not used to higher reps.

I hope I'll lose some fat on this workout/diet and be able to do some of those cool movements you guys do !

Do you have a good ab workout I can do, that might help me be able to do stuff like the front lever and so on? I guess I will work my core when I do all this bodyweight and Squats/Deadlifts but I think my obliques arent very strong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Great work teenbeast, I have something right up your ally.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sojrMAUahPw
Some progressions for you to try for the front lever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessFAQs
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daily workout   

Back to top Go down

Daily workout
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next