Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Planche tutorial

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bandersnatch

PostSubject: Re: Planche tutorial   Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:19 am

McCoy wrote:
Straight up most of the tutorials I've seen about getting a planche quick are bullshit and really bad. I followed the gymnastic body and can hold a steady straddle for multiple push ups and a straight leg planche for about 4 seconds now. I'd say progressing to each phase and holding for 60 seconds before moving on is bullshit as well, especially when you get to the harder phases and you have to split up what would be one set of 60 seconds into around 15 sets of 4 seconds. I'd say work on the gymnastic body type stuff, holding a frog stance, moving up to tuck planche if you can. At that point, you have two options. Continue to work on the tuck planche and increase your time or start working on your lower back. Honestly, you're midsection is often the weakest part of the planche and the upper body adapts quickly. Do wall walks at that point, work those hard. Endurance in the tuck planche and wall walking proficiency should go hand in hand. Depending on how proficient you feel, start doing pseudo planche push ups on the wall and work on tuck planche push ups as you start to work on your straddle planche. You can arrive at a straddle planche from a handstand (my favorite) or by simply extending back from a tuck which is definitely more difficult and probably more beneficial, but not necessary. At that point, when you're working on your straddle planche and you can do tuck planche push ups and pseudo planche push ups, you should be pretty in tune with your weak points on the planche and how you progress. Work on your weak points! The planche is a full body exercise, if there's one thing holding you down, it will hold your whole planche down! From a straddle planche you can work on a straight leg planche with your legs bent over or slowly move your legs inward from the straddle. Either way, my rule of thumb is about an 8 second hold with the prior progression before you work on the next one, and obviously when you start working on harder variations your endurance in the easier ones will increase.

Your post doesn't make any sense.

First you say that you followed the training protocol by "gymnastic body" (which I'm guessing is Gymnasticbodies.com right?) and then mention your current status which by the way you're talking I suppose you imply that it is good, but then you say that progressing to each phase and holding it for 60 seconds before moving on is "bullshit as well", and yet this is exactly what gymnasticbodies says you have to do.

So which one is it?

By the way, the "holding it for 60 seconds before continuing" only applies to the frog stand, advanced frog stand, tuck PL and advanced tuck PL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

PostSubject: Re: Planche tutorial   Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:08 am

Bandersnatch wrote:
First you say that you followed the training protocol by "gymnastic body" (which I'm guessing is Gymnasticbodies.com right?) and then mention your current status which by the way you're talking I suppose you imply that it is good, but then you say that progressing to each phase and holding it for 60 seconds before moving on is "bullshit as well", and yet this is exactly what gymnasticbodies says you have to do.

So which one is it?

By the way, the "holding it for 60 seconds before continuing" only applies to the frog stand, advanced frog stand, tuck PL and advanced tuck PL.

Not him, but let me take a stab at this. He used the methods advocated by Coach Sommer, but didn't subscribe to his prescription of designated time length of holds. After you can hold a tuck planche for 30-40 seconds for one set, you'll probably have the strength for advanced tuck planche. So then progress. Then, when you can safely do a straddle planche for a few seconds, progress. Don't worry if your holds are only 40 seconds instead of 60. If you can progress safely, do so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bandersnatch

PostSubject: Re: Planche tutorial   Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:13 pm

raja wrote:
Bandersnatch wrote:

So which one is it?

Not him, but let me take a stab at this. He used the methods advocated by Coach Sommer, but didn't subscribe to his prescription of designated time length of holds. After you can hold a tuck planche for 30-40 seconds for one set, you'll probably have the strength for advanced tuck planche. So then progress. Then, when you can safely do a straddle planche for a few seconds, progress. Don't worry if your holds are only 40 seconds instead of 60. If you can progress safely, do so.

With the statics, I've learned that you're better of just being patient and wait until you can perfectly hold them for the given time. Rushing things will simply get you injured and/or set you back worse.

Also, I've noticed that not one here can do planche with arms fully straight[b], and l think this is because they don't progress as it should be done. You need to be able to hold all the positions with the arms fully straight until you progress and move on.

l've watched Hitman and Hannibal and several others and none of them do the Planche with the arms fully straight, which makes a big difference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhilPot

PostSubject: Re: Planche tutorial   Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Bandersnatch wrote:
raja wrote:
Bandersnatch wrote:

So which one is it?

With the statics, I've learned that you're better of just being patient and wait until you can perfectly hold them for the given time. Rushing things will simply get you injured and/or set you back worse.

Also, I've noticed that not one here can do planche with arms fully straight[b], and l think this is because they don't progress as it should be done. You need to be able to hold all the positions with the arms fully straight until you progress and move on.

l've watched Hitman and Hannibal and several others and none of them do the Planche with the arms fully straight, which makes a big difference.

LBM has posted pics of a straight arm planche.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://twitter.com/PhilliamDane
Bandersnatch

PostSubject: Re: Planche tutorial   Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:28 pm

PhilPot wrote:
Bandersnatch wrote:
raja wrote:
Bandersnatch wrote:

So which one is it?

LBM has posted pics of a straight arm planche.

ln all the videos l've seen of him he's never done it with straight arms either, not even the FL or BL as well. l haven't seen his latest videos but l saw some a couple of weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bdog

PostSubject: Re: Planche tutorial   Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:52 pm

@Bandersnatch I'm pretty sure there's a pic of Lbm doing a straight-arm planche in the post your bar-pictures thread. I've seen him do it on u-stream and ether does a straight-arm planche on one of his new vids. Hitman can do a straight-arm now and zef has done one on a vid I seen. Also Jay another bar-barian can do planches too easy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Planche tutorial   Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:10 am

Copied across from a different post to keep everything together Smile

It adds a few extra stages and complementary exercises to the usual tuck/stradle/full planche route Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andx

PostSubject: Re: Planche tutorial   Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:20 pm

is there any tutorial on this move left on the internet? i can`t find any Neutral
i found some videos but they don`t explain too much and i recall i once viewed a tutorial by some coach with the progressions but i can`t find it anymore (guess it got deleted).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planche tutorial   

Back to top Go down

Planche tutorial
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2