Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Your opinion on Creatine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
scyth3r6

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:39 am

Creatine is great if your disciplined enough to drink enough water. personally i use kre alkaline. Works for me, in last 4 weeks of calisthenics training ave gained nearly 5 pounds whilst only gaining bout 0.4 % fat. Thats not completely down to that though, good general diet, hard work and a positive mental attitude is probably all thats needed. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/scyth3r6
Jav

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:41 pm

mgraham404 wrote:
Quote :
that's right.
eating carbs with fat -> moderate insulin response
eating protein with fat -> moderate glucagon response
eating protein with carbs and fat -> huge insulin response

Wouldn't the high insulin response actually be a good thing for a post-workout meal though? Also, what's your opinion on whole grains with high fiber content that makes for a lower insulin response (due to the low glycemic response, or slower blood sugar level spike meaning less of an insulin response).

High insulin post workout = Goood. High insulin the rest of the day = bad. Except for when you first wake up to halt muscle wasting. Here's a good article about insulin/blood sugar http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt55.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=1346029494
Tree-Trunk

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:27 pm

Creatine has been very well tested. It works.

It is a safe supplement to use in pursuit of strength gains. But as ever you still need to eat well and train smart.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trev

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:37 pm

I don't see how giving your body creatine is beneficial? The only energy system that uses creatine is the ATP-PCr system (will last 15 seconds max) which uses creatine to replenish Adenosine triphosphate. It can surely only work once since it will not increase the rate it is restored? Unless it slowly releases it or something? Sorry if I sound nieve I personally have never used it. My lecturer at Uni though is forever telling me its never been proven that strength gains have been seen, its all predictions.The only benefit I can see is it will bulk you a bit because of the water retension?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tree-Trunk

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:56 pm

it works. The studies show it works. The studies show its safe. And everyone I know who has used it properly has noticed the gains. I am not talking about weight. You are likely to but on around 5-6lbs after the loading phase. That is mainly water rentension. But you will bang out more reps and recover more quickly. You will be able to step up the intensity.

As for your lecturer. I remember watching a documentry some years ago which took a group of fitness enthusiasts and tried them on several substances. Creatine came out tops. I can tell you first hand that it works and will help in developing strength.

Your lecturer sounds like a d**k.

With regards to weight. After your creatine cycle you will lose the water retension but you may well find you have put on 2-3lbs of lean muscle, presuming you have your diet and training sorted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tree-Trunk

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:06 pm

MikeMekoleske wrote:
creatine is bad for your liver and kidneys, what good is slightly bigger muscles with organ failure,and muscle milk is terrible too it is linked to killing brain cells dont take any of that CRAP!!!!!! study

many things in excess are bad for your liver and kidneys. Show me the evidence that the suggested dosing of Creatine does harm to your liver and kidneys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trev

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Tree-Trunk wrote:
it works. The studies show it works. The studies show its safe. And everyone I know who has used it properly has noticed the gains. I am not talking about weight. You are likely to but on around 5-6lbs after the loading phase. That is mainly water rentension. But you will bang out more reps and recover more quickly. You will be able to step up the intensity.

As for your lecturer. I remember watching a documentry some years ago which took a group of fitness enthusiasts and tried them on several substances. Creatine came out tops. I can tell you first hand that it works and will help in developing strength.

With regards to weight. After your creatine cycle you will lose the water retension but you may well find you have put on 2-3lbs of lean muscle, presuming you have your diet and training sorted.

Ok if that is the case I retract what i said since I cannot have an opinion on something I have not personally used!

I personally do not want to try anything that can give me excess weight. My goals at the min are to lose more body fat% and gain strength. Size doesn't matter to me, I like the size I am at. Just need to rip up more now Smile. I am also a student and struggle to meet ends as it is so i will not take any suppliments for a while!

My lecturer is ok but he is a complete Aerobic freak and has a negative opinion on everything other than road biking!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tree-Trunk

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:18 pm

Trev wrote:
Tree-Trunk wrote:

Ok if that is the case I retract what i said since I cannot have an opinion on something I have not personally used!

I personally do not want to try anything that can give me excess weight. My goals at the min are to lose more body fat% and gain strength. Size doesn't matter to me, I like the size I am at. Just need to rip up more now Smile. I am also a student and struggle to meet ends as it is so i will not take any suppliments for a while!

My lecturer is ok but he is a complete Aerobic freak and has a negative opinion on everything other than road biking!

There is a 5 year study that finishes in a few months with regards to resistance traning for old people. Some of the findings are going to make some people rethink this aerobic bias.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trev

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:24 pm

Tree-Trunk wrote:
Trev wrote:
Tree-Trunk wrote:

There is a 5 year study that finishes in a few months with regards to resistance traning for old people. Some of the findings are going to make some people rethink this aerobic bias.

Good, can you send me a link once the results are posted? I would love to put him in his place. I don't get it when people try go out of their way to try show everything other than the things they do are not legit for fitness. Everyone is different, one persons favorite routine is anothers worst. The world is a diverse palce for a reason, if it wasn't it would be completely s**t!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mgraham404

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:33 pm

Tree-Trunk wrote:
many things in excess are bad for your liver and kidneys. Show me the evidence that the suggested dosing of Creatine does harm to your liver and kidneys.

There isn't a study that shows that, at least not that I know of. There is a study that has been going on for at least 5 years now that has shown people taking the recommended dosage of creatine monohydrate without any cycling and they have seen no downsides. They've had small groups stop taking creatine at certain points (I think it was in 6 month intervals) and none of them have had any problems with their body not producing creatine. Creatine is in most, if not all, meats that we eat anyway. The amount just depends on how much exercise those particular animals were getting (example: chickens pumped full of hormones that can't even walk anymore compared to cage free hormone free chickens that wander around). Anyway, I think creatine is a good supplement as long as you use it as directed. It is a relatively new supplement though, so we won't know long term effects of it's usage for a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:20 am

I took creatine a couple times during my life. It upped my bench bress numbers something like 40-50 pounds. It also pushed my body weight up quickly because of the extra water you hold.

However I also screwed up my knees both times I was supplementing. That is something if you read up on it is a possibility for some people. All the extra water goes to your muscles and away from your joints.

So my overall vote is no, stay away from it, especially if you want to do anything athletic. It's ok if you want to just pose in a mirror I guess.

This is something I wrote up about it on my web site YEARS ago.

http://duf.net/creatine.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://duf.net
grishenko45

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:33 am

don't bother with it mate!

i used to take it when i did bodybuilding (for 18 months before I discovered calisthenics) my heart rate increased before bed - like mad! and general discomfort in the abdominal area - anxiety before bed etc..

i stopped it when i discovered calisthenics - bar-barians on youtube and this forum - i feel generally better all the time - my heart rate has decreased back to normal - i'm never anxious b4 bed - i sleep better - all i got from it was water retention to make me look temperarily bigger than i was.....

i just stick to healthy diet - lots of fish, meats - fruits - potatoes, cheese etc....cod liver oil - omega 3 - the odd multivitamin is all i take now - no need for anything else - if you just eat really well you should get all the nutrients your body need naturally to build muscle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Markovitch91

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:57 pm

I wouldn't take it as a 'supplement' bro.

Creatine can be found in fish and red meats. I get all the creatine I need just by eating right (Y)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vlatk0

PostSubject: :O   Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:37 am

So many bullshit about creatine... I cant belive how many stupid people are over here disscusing about something they know s**t-off.. and second category of people are that tryed creatine but they havent used it properly,had no resoults and now they throw s**t about it. Offcours there are allso thouse that have used it,then for some other reason they had fucked up their healt and they thinck that creatine did that... Bunch of stupid fucks, I am sory to say that offencive words..but u are stupid,not becouise you dont know... you are stupid becouise you talk about something you dont know...most of u talk what they heard of.

Creatine is naturally produced in the human body from amino acids primarily in the kidney and liver. So,how can something be harmful if it is produced from you own body for greater preformance.

A French scientist first discovered creatine in 1832, but it was not until 1923 that scientists discovered that over 95% of creatine is stored in muscle tissue. The first published report of creatine having body-building effects was The Journal of Biological Chemistry in, get this, 1926!

So, what is creatine? Our bodies naturally make the compound, which is used to supply energy to our muscles. It is produced in the liver, pancreas, and kidneys, and is transported to the body's muscles through the bloodstream. Once it reaches the muscles, it is converted into phosphocreatine (creatine phosphate). This high-powered metabolite is used to regenerate the muscles' ultimate energy source, ATP (adenosine triphosphate).

Creatine is 100% natural and occurs naturally in many foods; therefore, it can never be banned from any sports or international competitions (unless they banned eating meat). Many foods especially herring, salmon, tuna, and beef contain some creatine.

There have been over twenty double blind (meaning neither the researchers nor the subjects knew who was getting what), placebo-controlled studies conducted on creatine in the past five years. They proved that creatine increased energy levels, resulting in increased strength, endurance levels, and recovery rates. Another unexpected benefit attributed to creatine was discovered as well: creatine accelerates fat loss, while building lean body mass!

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
The best part about creatine-no adverse effects have been reported in any studies. NONE! Creatine is totally safe and effective. Creatine has never been shown harmfully toxic. Nevertheless, just like with anything, it is not recommended to over-supplement once your muscles are saturated with creatine-there is no reason to.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I personaly use creatine well 5 years I can guarantee you that it has no side effects, I never had any health problems using it and Iv been more that three times at medical examination ,once ever for getting accepted in army,where we got allmost all health testing that included blood and kidneys.

So I say to you all, first - dont waste your years of training to achive something what u can achive when you are younger,stronger,flexible...you want to impress yourself and other people with your preformance NOW,not in 5,10 years..or when u walk with the stick,your biological clock is ticking,remember that...
Second thing...dont be blind..all of thous people that u see preforming crazy stuff on bars..flor..look at them...look if u think that they dont use no supplements,then u are thruly stupid..creatine is one of supplements,beside protein it is most used...thing is...some people like I belive some among you are using it,they just dont want to admit it but they go around and show how strong they are...,,hey m8,are u using something to be that good ?" ..No m8 I dont,only healthy food...hahahaahah,ok some of you dont use it...but trust me,who dont use it HE DOESNT USES HIS FULL POTENTIAL.

Now I expect many critics and more bullshit form u offended workers,but that is normal I hope that whit this post I will open at least one eyes and turn one soul from being stupid to a new bar-barian Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bdog

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:56 pm

@Vlatko that's the point genius. Your body already naturally produces it so don't you think it produces the amount you need?? More is not always better. Who are you to diss people who say they've used it and had bad side-effects?? Your body produces some steroids too so is it healthy now to take steroids?? Anyway I took creatine two different times when I used to lift weights and took it exactly the way it said to take it and gained some water weight the first time and not much the second. You have to drink alot more water than normal on it(that should tell you something). I did gain some strength but I think alot of it was placebo effect.

Also who are you to say all these guys on the bars are using supplements?? As far as I know Lbm doesn't use supplements, hannibal says he doesn't, hit from calisthenics kingz says he doesn't ,phorm says he doesn't,B-rock, I guess you're calling all of them liars huh?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vlatk0

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:18 pm

Yes your body already produces it,but not in amount that will make progress in any kind of sport,it will make a progres..but very smal and very very slow..so small that u will hang on that bar from year to year and u will become despret ,when other guys place videos of their progression..u will get older and older and u will NEVER reach things like PROs do. Yes your body allson produce hormons for incerasing mass similar to steroids..and belive it or not neither steroids are bad for health when they are used under control and not over-dosing and in goals like huge musle mass. You wuld not belive how many people are using winstrol.... - it is steroid,it incredibly increases your strengt and endurance and allso makes you lose fat. It is used in many sports starting from fighting sports to waterpolo... This is another story,lest get to your case. You got water in muscles becouise you used creatine monohydrate,it is used for gaining muscle mass,that is what u wanted when u went to gym and with that training is what u got. People who dont want musle mass,but only endurance and some strenght ,they shuld use something like Kre-Alkalyn - it is new type of creatine that dont bind water to your muscles. Even if u wuld use monohydrate for increasing your endurance ,u wouldnt get water on you..becouise with creatine u got what u are training for!
I dont have to convince you that they are using supplements...stay put form suplements and pracitce u will see on your self are THEY using supplements ..if u dont get too old and blinded to say the difrence Wink
It is too stupid for me to even talk about that are they using something..just look at for expample Hannibal..look at that muscle mass and how well is he ripped...hhh m8 u dont get that mass and strenght without at least supplements,why ? becouse your body normaly hass a limit in musle grow,to pass that limit u must pushit it with...u know what Wink For being well ripped u may use good diet or have fast metabolism u dont need supplements...u know what u stay put form supplements and time will show..time that u wont be able to bring back Wink

btw. sry all for rusty eng. tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:07 pm

When i used to lift weight i did take creatine jacked, and no shotgun they actually do work, but sort of pointless when you lose the gains from it at least i did. I think with calisthenics and healthy diet you get long term gains and that beats creatine anyway. Funny only when i lifted weights did i ever think about creatine (stupid magazines) but when i started calisthenics i think muscle ups not supplements. Cause i know creatine won't help someone do a planche or muscle ups just hard work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
boomTown

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:35 pm

ironloo wrote:
When i used to lift weight i did take creatine jacked, and no shotgun they actually do work, but sort of pointless when you lose the gains from it at least i did. I think with calisthenics and healthy diet you get long term gains and that beats creatine anyway. Funny only when i lifted weights did i ever think about creatine (stupid magazines) but when i started calisthenics i think muscle ups not supplements. Cause i know creatine won't help someone do a planche or muscle ups just hard work.

well said man
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vlatk0

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:23 am

@ironloo - mate,you can get high quality musle mass with supplements too,but supplements wont do a s**t if you dont eat good. U LOSE GAINS when u dont eat well when using shotgun ,creatine or any anabolic supplement. U must have high quality eat or supplements wont do good,that is why their are called supplements...

ironloo wrote:
Cause i know creatine won't help someone do a planche or muscle ups just hard work.
- This word proves that u havent understand a word I said in my last few posts.. It is pointless even to comment on this..
I cant right now guarantee to you how fast my progress will be on muscle ups.. I am working hard on job right now,working only third shifts..soon I will qiut job and get str8 to training..right now I can bearly do one muscle up...when I start training, I will use creatine.. I can bet with u right now..that if I will be able to sleep well,eat and train...in lets say 2 mounths form one I will do at least 6-7 musle ups..

And one more thing...with good quality meals and creatine I build for my self "long term muscles" .. I can give you example , I vent to serve army..it took me 6 months and even after thous 6 I havent trained 2 more.. That is 8 months without training..my musle mass havent droped and after only one week training not only I got in old form but I even got stronger... Dont u guys misunderstand me
#1 - IS FOOD,what u EAT,what u drink..
#2 - IS STRONG WILL
#3 - ARE SUPPLEMENTS

Only combination off these three is SUCCESS !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:46 am

Vlatko, i agree with you that while on supplements you need a great diet.
And maybe you will get the 6-7 muscle ups in 2 months if you sleep, eat, and train well but i don't think it will be the creatine that will help you succeed at this skill, just my opinion.Goodluck though with whatever you choose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vlatk0

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:10 am

U dont need diet if u are "skinny".. I dont need diet becouise my body-fat is low.. Unnesseseary diet will make u weaker,becouise carbohydrates gives u energy and strenght ther are fuel for your body...

Supplements will help me,that is what ther are made for...othervise instead 2 months for 6 muscle ups I would needed lets say one year... I am talking about TIME here.. TIME that u are losing...and u are losing it and u dont have to..becouise u just need to walk with new improvments that future and technology is offering to you...human kind is making progress in many things form day to day...not following thous changes is..stupid Smile

Dont lose time to achive something that u want so much if u DONT HAVE TO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pulldoggpull

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:11 am

Vlatk0 wrote:
@ironloo - mate,you can get high quality musle mass with supplements too,but supplements wont do a s**t if you dont eat good. U LOSE GAINS when u dont eat well when using shotgun ,creatine or any anabolic supplement. U must have high quality eat or supplements wont do good,that is why their are called supplements...

ironloo wrote:
Cause i know creatine won't help someone do a planche or muscle ups just hard work.
- This word proves that u havent understand a word I said in my last few posts.. It is pointless even to comment on this..
I cant right now guarantee to you how fast my progress will be on muscle ups.. I am working hard on job right now,working only third shifts..soon I will qiut job and get str8 to training..right now I can bearly do one muscle up...when I start training, I will use creatine.. I can bet with u right now..that if I will be able to sleep well,eat and train...in lets say 2 mounths form one I will do at least 6-7 musle ups..

And one more thing...with good quality meals and creatine I build for my self "long term muscles" .. I can give you example , I vent to serve army..it took me 6 months and even after thous 6 I havent trained 2 more.. That is 8 months without training..my musle mass havent droped and after only one week training not only I got in old form but I even got stronger... Dont u guys misunderstand me
#1 - IS FOOD,what u EAT,what u drink..
#2 - IS STRONG WILL
#3 - ARE SUPPLEMENTS

Only combination off these three is SUCCESS !

which # is hard work at? (btw i agree with a lot of things u say, still i take no supplements) Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vlatk0

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:24 am

it is #2 .. if u have strong will ..u will have strong motive to work hard Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pulldoggpull

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm

Vlatk0 wrote:
it is #2 .. if u have strong will ..u will have strong motive to work hard Very Happy

oh i see drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MikeinTexas

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:53 pm

Sheesh, I am three years late to this thread!

(better late than never, right?)

RE: Protein shakes: stay away from them. They are too caloric, the ionized powder is dead, and your body's liver must work extra hard (unless you take a defatted Argentine liver tablet) to break the protein down. Make your own protein shakes with REAL WHOLE EGGS, a wee bit of water, banana's, blueberries, ice, and Bob's your uncle!

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikestewartfitness.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion on Creatine   

Back to top Go down

Your opinion on Creatine
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2