Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Perfect One Arm Push Up (POAPU)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Error#blade

PostSubject: Perfect One Arm Push Up (POAPU)   Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:00 am

Ok guys, just I want to know if anyone of u can do POAPU and give me some exercises for that move.

Just to know that I can do 25 wide leg spread one arm push ups, I can do them with may feet touching...but I always twist my body to one side...I'm talking here about perfection, just like regular push up, only with one hand, no twist, legs shoulder wide, chest and shoulders parallel to the floor, no twisting your feet..I tried this and I can't do even a fu*king negative...This is soooo hard...

Can u do it? how to do this? any ides I would appreciate it
Sry for bad Eglish Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Perfect One Arm Push Up (POAPU)   Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:06 pm

Yo! the POAPU is a really hard exercise!! Im no where near it and neither i work these days even bad form OAPUs...

So what im about to type here isnt tips from experience but mostly from a bit thats i read from Convict Conditioning.

On the final steps he uses:

-Uneven push ups (1 hand normal 1 hand on basketball, perfect form, stiff body legs together etc) he goes down till chest touch basketball.
(begginer standard 1set of 5 both sides, intermediete 2 sets of 10 both side, progression 2 sets of 20 both sides)

-1/2 One-arm pushups (Get into the half pushup top position, with a basketball located below your hips. Place one hand on the floor beneath your breastbone with your arm straight and your
other hand in the small of your back. This is the start position (fig. 15). Bend at the shoulder and
elbow until your hips reach the top of the basketball. This is the finish position (fig. 16). Pause and
press back to the start position. If your triceps is weak, you'll have a tendency to twist your torso
as you move. Don't-the whole body should be kept straight. This is true for all pushups.)

Sets and reps standards are the same as above, it says if u cant do half reps do 1/4 placing the ball on ur knees.

-Lever push ups.
Push ups with 1 hand on floor below ur chest, other str8 and stretched to the side with palm on a basketball, as u go down u roll the ball.

Same reps and sets.

-POAPU
(Kneel on the floor, with one palm out on the ground directly in front of you. Stretch your legs
out behind you, until they are straight and supported by the toes. Keep the spine and hips aligned,
and shift your bodyweight so that your supporting arm goes straight down below your chest-not
out to the side or in front of you. Once you are stable, place your non-supporting hand in the
small of your back. This is the start position (fig. 19). Bend at the shoulder and elbow, lowering
yourself under full control until your jaw is approximately one fist width away from the floor (fig.
20). Pause momentarily, before pressing back up to the start position.)

Perfecting your technique:
If you have mastered the lever pushup, the one-arm pushup shouldn't be too intimidating. But
if you have trouble doing five reps of the one-arm pushup in good form, go back to Step 9, and
ensure that you are can use perfect form for twenty repetitions of the lever pushup. If you can do
this but still have trouble with the one-arm pushup, keep working with lever pushups until you
can do thirty repetitions, before trying again.

Thats more or less what convict conditioning says about OAPU and in a photo it shows someone ( i think him) on top and on bottom position of a POAPU.
Not sure if it works like thats but i think it definately can give u some ideas how to reach ur goal Wink

ps: U need massive focus on form at each rep and going slowly throught progressions to reach ur goal. Good luck there!

Goals: Be able to do bar-barians requirements in less than 10 mins, 10 good form one hand push ups, 15 pistols, Be able to do one hand holds on bar and controlled negatives, 1 min hanging l-sit, backlever hold for 5+ secs, advanced tucked FL for 5+ secs, advanced tucked planche for 8+secs etc etc

Long Goal (till summer): My 1st OAC,good BL hold, FL hold, bent arm planche, free handstand push ups, l-sit to handstand on handles, v-sit hold on floor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Error#blade

PostSubject: Re: Perfect One Arm Push Up (POAPU)   Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:21 pm

Thanks 1stratos1...I have mastered OAPU but POAPU is freaking hard...I will make it happen.

Does lots of OAPUs help to increase much more reps of regular push ups?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brisbanebarstuds

PostSubject: Re: Perfect One Arm Push Up (POAPU)   Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:50 pm

I have a few pointers in my own experiance to get there but I will post a video to explains things better, I will do the best I can for now.

I always found out that form is very important even if it's 1 or 2 reps. When you sacrifice a little of form it will be hard to break out of the bad habit to correct it.

Prefect normal push-ups with a good amount of reps where you can easily to do them. 30-50 reps

If you are past this stage do single hand static hold with elbow locked out and a straight plank position. Be sure to keep feet together and torso square. I've seen a lot of people doing wide feet stance claiming they can do OAPU.

Alternate between left/right working up to 30sec each side. So start with 5sec and progress by adding 5sec on top. Making sure form is correct. Recording yourself will identify if you form is good and you'll know exactly where to correct.

Once you build the strength in the single arm hold do half or even quarter reps but keep form in check. It will be slow progression but your form be clean.

Overall you'll know if you form is correct because everything should be engaged, shoulders, arms, core, legs. Most likely found out your core will probably need more work.

I also have a few exercises that has help me along the way which I'll post in the video. Shortly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brisbanebarstuds.com
Error#blade

PostSubject: Re: Perfect One Arm Push Up (POAPU)   Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:59 pm

brisbanebarstuds tnx for reply. I can only lower myself half way and up, no more than that. I can't do negative, to push myself from bottom. Maybe the only way is to add little help with my other arm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brisbanebarstuds

PostSubject: Re: Perfect One Arm Push Up (POAPU)   Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:34 pm

Instead from pushing from the bottom. Start from the top and lower down. Unless that is what you meant.

Incline oapu is another good way to build the strength . Start from a wall then progress to a table then bench. Aim for an amount of reps to achieve each stage so you know when to progress to the next level. For example.. once you can do 20 off the wall easy and you should be able to do 10 on the bench.

I always try to avoid using the other hand because sometimes you can rely on it too much. Breaking up the excerise or finding an more basic alternative
Back to top Go down
Error#blade

PostSubject: Re: Perfect One Arm Push Up (POAPU)   Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:39 am

I tried on higher ground, like bench/desk, it's maybe 1 meter or little more high from the ground and I couldn't do it. I can do it on the wall, that's the start Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brisbanebarstuds

PostSubject: Re: Perfect One Arm Push Up (POAPU)   Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:37 pm

That's good. Everyone has to start somewhere. Don't forget to do additional core exercises and pushups, it'll help a lot. I'll try to get a video out soon.

Keep it up!
Back to top Go down
Error#blade

PostSubject: Re: Perfect One Arm Push Up (POAPU)   Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:36 pm

I want to see your video Smile strange, there are no POAPU on whole yt and internet :/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Perfect One Arm Push Up (POAPU)   Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:22 am

Btw out of pure couriosity i checked on google for more info about this and found some guys talkign about it at gymnasticbodies
link: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10439-the-perfect-one-arm-pushup/

Also Al Kavaldo has a video with pretty good one arm push ups with feet together but still there is some twist and bending to the hips.
http://www.alkavadlo.com/body-weight-exercises/the-ultimate-one-arm-push-up/

Goals: Be able to do bar-barians requirements in less than 10 mins, 10 good form one hand push ups, 15 pistols, Be able to do one hand holds on bar and controlled negatives, 1 min hanging l-sit, backlever hold for 5+ secs, advanced tucked FL for 5+ secs, advanced tucked planche for 8+secs etc etc

Long Goal (till summer): My 1st OAC,good BL hold, FL hold, bent arm planche, free handstand push ups, l-sit to handstand on handles, v-sit hold on floor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Error#blade

PostSubject: Re: Perfect One Arm Push Up (POAPU)   Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:31 am

Yea, saw that guy somewhere else, he is trying good..But Al, is not near perfect, when u twist body (in that video u can see that he twists his body a lil bit) it is so much easier and it is doable that way...that's why he called it Ultimate OAPU
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Perfect One Arm Push Up (POAPU)   

Back to top Go down

Perfect One Arm Push Up (POAPU)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1