Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

relaxed hangs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Buckman

PostSubject: relaxed hangs   Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:29 pm

what do you think about this? deadhang with completely relaxed shoulders
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: relaxed hangs   Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:52 pm

I dont think its bad, but u must be careful as the stress goes to the tendons and the tissues. But if u are healthy and go slowly, then its good i think. For example fingers also got no muscles but climbers strengthen their tendons, plus on planches, FLs, BLs u work with straight arms which makes extra stress to tendons and tissues.

Plus I ve done some passive and active hangs (passive = loosen, ative = shoulder down and a bit back) here and there on soem days, mostly cause i got inspired by Ido , and i think it will help me a bit in my climbing.

U can find some interested info here.

http://www.idoportal.com/blog

He also says there his opinion on what type of hang its better to work , or work mostly depending on ur current conditon of shoulders.

So yeah im in favor of doing some passive hangs as well, u can just play with it, but loosening ur whole body while hanging is a nice stretch for ur shoulders and the whole spine!

Goals: Be able to do bar-barians requirements in less than 10 mins, 10 good form one hand push ups, 15 pistols, Be able to do one hand holds on bar and controlled negatives, 1 min hanging l-sit, backlever hold for 5+ secs, advanced tucked FL for 5+ secs, advanced tucked planche for 8+secs etc etc

Long Goal (till summer): My 1st OAC,good BL hold, FL hold, bent arm planche, free handstand push ups, l-sit to handstand on handles, v-sit hold on floor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckman

PostSubject: Re: relaxed hangs   Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:00 pm

I didnt mean straight arm strength and gymnast ofc does not do planche with relaxed shoulders

I did relaxed hang and got injured in the process.. been doing deadhang pull ups and deadhang weighted pull ups for long time, although I hit deadhang I never let myself just hanging relaxed always under control and immediatly pull up

I read that Ido too I thought I am gonna increase my shoulder mobility, I was doing relaxed hangs fo 3 months, very short time tho and mostly as warm up (he says its resting position u should do often) so that couldnt be the problem, I also did hanging leg raises in relaxed hang but not the day I got injured

just warmed up with join circles, some scapula activation, then just relaxed hang, I wanted to do some depressions so I hanged again and the exact moment felt strong but not sharp pain in my left shoulder .. almost 4 weeks today, I had discomfort with some movement not pain, couldnt do inverted rows even only high push ups but somehow it got much worse last 3 days I couldnt walk or eat without shoulder/clavicle pain

so thats why I asked, if I ever recover from this I will never just hang relaxed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: relaxed hangs   Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:36 pm

Sorry to hear ur story about this injury...

Well on pull ups i dont stay relaxed as well , maybe when im tired not fully tensed but not relaxed. and relaxing on pull ups especially with load is like asking for injury sooner or later IMO.

I can see ur hate of passive hanging after this but not sure if thats enough for not doing an exercise for ever. I hate behind the neck pull ups cause the strain on my shoulders but once in a while i maybe do some. And i can tell that getting stronger really helped me get those without feeling unconfort on my shoulders like before.

Anyway , its up to u, heal 1st , go back to ur normal training and maybe one day u can try again out of curiousity, or not Razz

Have a fast healing man!

Goals: Be able to do bar-barians requirements in less than 10 mins, 10 good form one hand push ups, 15 pistols, Be able to do one hand holds on bar and controlled negatives, 1 min hanging l-sit, backlever hold for 5+ secs, advanced tucked FL for 5+ secs, advanced tucked planche for 8+secs etc etc

Long Goal (till summer): My 1st OAC,good BL hold, FL hold, bent arm planche, free handstand push ups, l-sit to handstand on handles, v-sit hold on floor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckman

PostSubject: Re: relaxed hangs   Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:09 pm

yea thats sad I am sure my posture has something to do with that too, I had similar injury almost 2 years ago but it happened after set of weighted pull ups when I unloaded backpack from my shoulders lol
persisted for 6 months and now after 1 year again Sad

I was also doing lately hanging leg raises in relaxed hang too, sets of 7-10 LOL never seen anyone doing them like that but I thought hanging relaxed should be something natural and myself used to that after 3 months but it was never PAINFUL, anything was never painful only a bit discomfort but so were even wall push ups even after years of training one can never know
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PrimalRedemption

PostSubject: Re: relaxed hangs   Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:47 pm

Be careful this is how I royally screwed up my shoulder ligaments when I was a kid and has caused untold amounts of grief. Imagine a nice tight rubber band holding the arm in its socket and now stretch that rubber band out. It causes all kinds of havoc, pops, cracks, pains, dislocations, pinches. I cringe when I see parents yanking their babies up by 1 arm...

Regarding the dead hang I think its totally awesome and should be trained extensively before ever trying a full range pullup. Like learning to stand before you sprint. But only SOME muscles should be relaxed. I think the guy describing "relaxed" is not competent in English and is causing harm and probably just is describing a plain old normal dead hang. Dead as in dead weight.

The lats can be relaxed because their insertion to the lower back is so huge and thick but the shoulder girdle should NEVER be relaxed in ANY circumstance!! It sounds like absolute madness.

best of luck in your recovery P.S. I have never fully regained the taughtness of my shoulder ligaments after stretching them out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckman

PostSubject: Re: relaxed hangs   Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:34 am

I tried to relax everything, doing things without control is not good and always caused injuries to me but this is a big stop
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: relaxed hangs   

Back to top Go down

relaxed hangs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1