Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

botched surgery

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BLKB

PostSubject: botched surgery   Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:49 pm

Hey all. I don't really have the right to post here any more as I'm now no way a barbarian.

Had abdominal surgery with complications at the end of last year and my bodyweight has gone down from 118kg to 91kg. Some fat, lots of muscle. I lost 12kg in the first week after surgery, another 5kg the week after. Four weeks after surgery I had the body of an old man with stringy muscle and saggy skin.

Anyway, the lesson is - don't be an asshole like me. Look after your internal organs as well as your muscles and cardio system, Don't eat huge meals, eat smaller amounts through the day, lay off the fizzy drinks (especially gallons of beer), don't go to bed on a full stomach, reduce the stress (it's bad for you man!), and above all exercise when your stomach is empty. Remember cals puts massive pressure on your core so you don't want anything in there as you're doing it.

Keep pushing those limits everyone, you don't realise how lucky you are being able to do this. My goal is to get back once the healing is done.

All the best, BLKB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: botched surgery   Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:14 am

Damn sorry to hear that man, u will become stronger though with more fire on your comebackk. And thanks for the heads up, u def have a right to post here u dont need to be a bar-barian your heart matters.Rest up warrior!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: botched surgery   Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:44 am

Have a fast healing man!!!

Thumbs up for the warning message, sometimes we forget that without caring our bodies and without health we wont be able to do what we love to.

Goals: Be able to do bar-barians requirements in less than 10 mins, 10 good form one hand push ups, 15 pistols, Be able to do one hand holds on bar and controlled negatives, 1 min hanging l-sit, backlever hold for 5+ secs, advanced tucked FL for 5+ secs, advanced tucked planche for 8+secs etc etc

Long Goal (till summer): My 1st OAC,good BL hold, FL hold, bent arm planche, free handstand push ups, l-sit to handstand on handles, v-sit hold on floor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BLKB

PostSubject: Re: botched surgery   Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:52 pm

Cheers guys, it's much appreciated. I've started light workouts and while I'm kitten weak due to the all over muscle loss and my core being mangled, I'm feeling a lot snappier for the weight loss.

I guess we've got to be careful what we apply ourselves to. I did "work hard play hard" on everything... got good at running (marathon level) and got ok at strength (not as strong as most people here, but way stronger than the average person). The downside was I also smoked, and used running to clean my lungs, and ate and drank huge amounts, and used working out to clear my hangovers and stay in shape.

Problem is your body doesn't fail gently when you ignore the warning signs. My stomach just went (and the surgeons had to cut all those core muscles to get to it), people with stress have strokes, people with bad diets have heart attacks.

With hindsight, I reckon the key is to work what can get better (strength, cardio, endurance) and be very gentle on what can only get worse (digestive health, skin, teeth, organs, brain (so reduce the stress, toxins, drugs, alcohol)).

Anyway, cheers again. I'll def be back with progress.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BLKB

PostSubject: Re: botched surgery   Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:35 am

Hey all, got some progress. Legs are doing well and lungs are recovering from them tightening my diaphragm. Can now run 6k in 40 minutes which isn't great but 2 months ago I was struggling with running 1.5k (strength and whole cardio system would just give in after about 12 minutes) so I'm happy.

Upper body is let down by a crazily weak core. Can do bench dips fine and aussie pull-ups are improving but press ups even against a wall (yeah, really) put too much pressure on the operation site.

I reckon I'll be doing dips soon, but pull-ups are many months away. Can't even dream about press ups right now.

Keep working out... you don't know how lucky you are. Seriously, every workout is a privilege.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: botched surgery   Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:09 pm

Everyday above dirt is a good day man.

Doesnt matter if u cant work on some exercises, Whats matters most is to heal up and slowly get ur strength up again.

Looks like u can work those legs, and ur cardio as well. Plus u can do some upper body exercises , so u have no reason not to be happy Wink

Just work slowly ur core/abs so sooner or later to be able to be full functional as well.

PS: U are doing well working on things u can, and btw i suck at running, im pretty sure i cant run 6km in 40 mins, not even 6km without stop... i ll fix it one day hopefully Razz

Goals: Be able to do bar-barians requirements in less than 10 mins, 10 good form one hand push ups, 15 pistols, Be able to do one hand holds on bar and controlled negatives, 1 min hanging l-sit, backlever hold for 5+ secs, advanced tucked FL for 5+ secs, advanced tucked planche for 8+secs etc etc

Long Goal (till summer): My 1st OAC,good BL hold, FL hold, bent arm planche, free handstand push ups, l-sit to handstand on handles, v-sit hold on floor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BLKB

PostSubject: Re: botched surgery   Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:00 am

Cheers, you're right, every day above dirt is a good one.

Got to be honest, I used to be 20x fitter and stronger than I am now, but I appreciate what I've got so much more now. There's nothing like losing something to make you realise what you've got.

Before I wasn't the strongest person around - no doubt about that - but I was stronger than most normal people and I took it all for granted. Now I love even the crap workouts where you feel you're getting nowhere for an hour. No PB, who cares, keep working out and it's in the post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: botched surgery   

Back to top Go down

botched surgery
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1