Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

51 year old beginner and recovery time needed?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DoninOhio

PostSubject: 51 year old beginner and recovery time needed?   Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:34 am

Hello all:

I am 51 years old and have started a bodyweight/bodybuilding type of routine. I am 5'9" and currently weigh 200lbs. My goal is to lose 30-35 lbs of fat and and build as much muscle as I can at my age using mostly bodyweight type of training. Not overly muscled like a bodybuilder, but well muscled like a gymnast. I am currently doing a full body base routine as follows and have listed the future goals I someday hope to reach:

1) Push ups with the goal of doing them inclined with 50 lbs weight x 20 reps. The continue in adding weight., then try one arm push ups.
2) Inverted rows 12 reps and then progressively add weight
3) Overhead BB/DB presses with the goal to then start handstand push ups x 10 reps
4) Chin ups with the goal to do 10 reps at bodyweight, then start adding weight.
5) Dips with the goal to do 15 reps at bodyweight, then start adding weight
6) BB or DB Upright rows
7) Pullovers on lat machine or BB with goal to do bodyweight muscle ups (someday?)
8 Squats with goal to do one leg Pistols.
9) BB Wrist curls
10) Bent leg raises with goal to do L-Raises
11) Planks

I hope to progress to using rings for push ups, inverted rows, dips, chins, and L-raises. This may sound overly optimistic considering my age, but its something I am trying to achieve to keep me focused.

I am only doing 2 sets of each, but will do more volume as I become better conditioned.
My fat reducing diet consists of 2200 cals a day with a 40%Carbs/30%Pro/30%Fats ratio, with solid, healthy food; no sweets and junk foods, except for 1 cheat meal a week(usually a couple slices of pizza) but will increase(?) the calories once I reach my weight goal.

My main concern is related to recovery between workouts that I may come up against, and would like experienced trainee's to comment on whether I should perform this routine 3xweek, 2Xweek, or split the routine into 2 workouts (Upper body/Lower body?) and how often to perform it. 3x week is okay right now, but as I said, I'll be increasing volume in relation to sets per exercise, so length of workout time and energy required may become an issue.

Any tips, suggestions and recommendations from you guys (and gals) will be very much appreciated?

Don

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoninOhio

PostSubject: Re: 51 year old beginner and recovery time needed?   Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:56 pm

No opinions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: 51 year old beginner and recovery time needed?   Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Hey Don,
Recovery time is different for different people. If you keep intensity in check, meaning not going to failure, have enough nutrients and get enough sleep 3x should be fine. Try it and find out. As you get conditioned you can increase intensity and or volume.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 51 year old beginner and recovery time needed?   

Back to top Go down

51 year old beginner and recovery time needed?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1