Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

So many goals.. so many questions :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jeks

PostSubject: So many goals.. so many questions :)   Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:15 pm

Ey there

Im kinda new to calisthenic, but REALLY love it. I got so tired of the weightroom and just feel so free and creative with this new kind of fun training ! Smile

But as any newbie, Im kinda confused about the right approach to this. So I really hope some will take the time to read my goals and help me out with some answers. THAT WOULD JUST BE SO GREAT!

#1: I wanna build some mass and gain weight with this. I wanna hear if it's possible to build a ripped body with calisthenic? (reps? sets? exercises? how often? progression?)

#2: can I train for both mass and crazy stuff like one-hand shizzle, pistols, muscleups, human flags and so on?

#3: I really dunno how often I should train or how I can train my whole body?

#4: how do you add progression in this and when do you know when you got to take it to the next level in order to keep stressing the muscles?

Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeks

PostSubject: Re: So many goals.. so many questions :)   Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:43 am

Bump.. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kossminn

PostSubject: Re: So many goals.. so many questions :)   Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:30 am

Welcome to the forum Jeks. I guess we all had that first time excitement when there were so many exercises and routines to do, that we didn't know what to choose. I'm no advanced member (I only do calisthenics for about 1,5 yrs) but I'll try to answer some of your questions:

#1 Yes it is possible to gain muscle mass with calisthenics and the good news is that you can gain mass with both low and high rep routines (done correctly of course). You just have to pick up what suits you best (for me low reps work better and are much enjoyable). Example of low rep routine would be sets of 3x3 and high reps 5-10 sets of15- 20 reps (high volume)

#2 The "crazy stuff" is better to be left after you gain some experience with basic movements. Try to stick to the basics like push-ups, pull-ups, dips, etc (and their progressions). I also started my first training sessions with fancy movements but I was too weak to do them correctly, so they turned out to be unproductive (not to mention you risk injuries due to unprepared ligaments and bad form)

#3 Train as much as you feel ok, just listen to your body. Some of the guys here train for as much as 7 days/week, others prefer 3-4 times/week. At the beginning I would recommend the latter.

#4 It depends on the type of routine you're doing. For example I move to the next progression when I can easily do a set of 5x5 or in case of static holds, when I can hold the position for more than 60sec.

It's also worth reading Tim's bar-barian beginners thread, it's full of useful information.

Hope it helps Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SIMBA

PostSubject: Re: So many goals.. so many questions :)   Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:03 am

Quote :
Welcome to the forum Jeks. I guess we all had that first time excitement when there were so many exercises and routines to do, that we didn't know what to choose. I'm no advanced member (I only do calisthenics for about 1,5 yrs) but I'll try to answer some of your questions:

#1 Yes it is possible to gain muscle mass with calisthenics and the good news is that you can gain mass with both low and high rep routines (done correctly of course). You just have to pick up what suits you best (for me low reps work better and are much enjoyable). Example of low rep routine would be sets of 3x3 and high reps 5-10 sets of15- 20 reps (high volume)

#2 The "crazy stuff" is better to be left after you gain some experience with basic movements. Try to stick to the basics like push-ups, pull-ups, dips, etc (and their progressions). I also started my first training sessions with fancy movements but I was too weak to do them correctly, so they turned out to be unproductive (not to mention you risk injuries due to unprepared ligaments and bad form)

#3 Train as much as you feel ok, just listen to your body. Some of the guys here train for as much as 7 days/week, others prefer 3-4 times/week. At the beginning I would recommend the latter.

#4 It depends on the type of routine you're doing. For example I move to the next progression when I can easily do a set of 5x5 or in case of static holds, when I can hold the position for more than 60sec.

It's also worth reading Tim's bar-barian beginners thread, it's full of useful information.

Hope it helps
That's good advice. I would just kill a basic push/pull routine daily or every other day, however u want to do it. If you want to go daily just vary the intensity of course. Forget all the fancy moves for now and strengthen your basics. The strength and endurance from basics will transfer to moves and make them easier to do + you dont risk injury. Stick to dips, pull ups, push ups, chin ups, bench dips, tricep extensions, bodyweight rows, hanging leg raises and dragon flags. In time you can add muscle ups. Hit your legs hard twice a week. Eat enough clean food to maintain your workouts and you'll be BEASTING soon enough lol. Keep doing the basic til you can do 20+ pull ups, 30+ dips and 50+ push ups. Thats just my advice. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: So many goals.. so many questions :)   Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:52 am

Guys up here said it all pretty good Wink

I agree on leaving the harder movements for later.

Like I tried back and front lever's for fun and I could have spared myself the embarassment as it was not time to try yet some time ago.

Get a good Routine, I do 3 times a week Upper body, and 2-3 times a week Cardio/ Abs / legs.

On the upper body days do like Pullups overhand, and Dips, on the other day, Chinups underhand and Pushups. Just an example.

Eat good, rest properly and best of luck Wink

kossminn

PostSubject: Re: So many goals.. so many questions :)   Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Simba and Elite-bars completed me very well in terms of workout and nutrition. I forgot to mention how important nutrition is. Eat clean and you'll see results. And don't forget your legs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeks

PostSubject: Re: So many goals.. so many questions :)   Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Cool thanks alot guys!

I was thinking of doing a fullbody routine 3 times a week(mon, wed, fri) and then add in some easy jogging 2 times a week(tues, thurs) and then keep saturday and sunday off so I can rest.

so, now I only need a fullbody routine and a level to start at? also, how do I do progress with reps and so on?

is this a good routine or should i change something? also, how is the order of the exercises?

Fullbody(mon, wed, fri):
- Pull-ups 5x5
- Pushups 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 (10 reps, 1 min. rest, 9 reps, 1 min rest, 8 reps and so on..)
- Bench dips 3x10
- Inverted rows 3x5
- Pike press 5x5
- Prisoner squats 15-10-5
- Lunges 3x8
- ab workout: variation of crunches, plank and leg raises.

or maybe ya have a much more plain and simple routine? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kossminn

PostSubject: Re: So many goals.. so many questions :)   Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:44 pm

That looks like a pretty solid routine to start with. You may ad some variations if you like, so you don't have to do the same routine over and over again.

jeks wrote:
how do I do progress with reps and so on?

You just add reps Very Happy Try beating your last training session even with one rep, and you'll have progress. For example:
You start your push-ups at 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1. Next training session try 10-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, then the next 10-10-9-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 and so on until you reach 10x10. Try to be creative, you will see that with time you will discover what works for you. Keep training Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: So many goals.. so many questions :)   Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:54 pm

kossminn wrote:
That looks like a pretty solid routine to start with. You may ad some variations if you like, so you don't have to do the same routine over and over again.

jeks wrote:
how do I do progress with reps and so on?

You just add reps Very Happy Try beating your last training session even with one rep, and you'll have progress. For example:
You start your push-ups at 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1. Next training session try 10-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, then the next 10-10-9-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 and so on until you reach 10x10. Try to be creative, you will see that with time you will discover what works for you. Keep training Smile

Agreed with this mate =)

That's what I do, I have 3 types of workout for Monday Wednesday and Friday.

I keep a sheet and record of everything, ( I am so obsessed I even take a video of each workout to check if my form was good enough. lol)

Also, the only way I know if like, an extra rep is 'Legit', I have fixed timed rest times between sets. Like 90 seconds between sets, and 2 minutes every Round.

Otherwise, if maybe you rested longer one time, you got an extra rep, or viceversa you may have done the same rep number or less, but in shorter time, therefore it doesn't mean you didn't necessarily improve, just means it was 'differently distributed'. I like to keep it solid so I can see progress or not.

Some days, like every 2 weeks, there's usually a s**t day. Like I get the same numbers as last week, sometimes maybe even less. That's the hardest part, don't give up, as long as you do the work ANYWAY, and next week once rested it'll pay off.

As for other goals. I am going for mass now, so I do weighted training with weight vest and ankle weights. So shorter workouts but more intense. Or else you can go for volume and endurance, just train bodyweight, do long sets, like ladder and pyramid sets, a bit like the example you wrote down here. Smile

Best wishes bro Wink

jeks

PostSubject: Re: So many goals.. so many questions :)   Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:41 am

kossminn wrote:

cool thanks! but I just thought that "going to failure" wasn't good for your joints and CNS? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soccerguy

PostSubject: Re: So many goals.. so many questions :)   Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:24 pm

jeks wrote:
kossminn wrote:

cool thanks! but I just thought that "going to failure" wasn't good for your joints and CNS? Smile

This is what I have been doing the past 1 to 2 weeks with push ups I started with 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-3-max(10) I have since progressed to 10-10-8-7-6-5-5-4-4-max(10)-max(5) always with :30 rest then I usually do bench dips (to work my triceps more) and wide grip push ups (to work my chest more) and my max push ups when I started was 25 I am not sure what it is now
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BLKB

PostSubject: Re: So many goals.. so many questions :)   Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Remember to keep your form perfect, there's loads of videos on the web showing how for each exercise.

It's way harder, but you'll be targeting the correct muscles and will get less injuries.

An example is the push up - go to any gym and you'll see people rattle off 20 easily. But they'll either have their butt in the air or their nuts on the ground the whole time and their elbows will be everywhere. Most people probably couldn't do 5 correctly.

Just my opinion. Perfect form is way more important that high reps. If you can't do the reps you want go a notch down on the progression for that exercise and carry on.

Cheers, B.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BLKB

PostSubject: Re: So many goals.. so many questions :)   Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:28 pm

BLKB wrote:
An example is the push up - go to any gym and you'll see people rattle off 20 easily. But they'll either have their butt in the air or their nuts on the ground the whole time and their elbows will be everywhere. Most people probably couldn't do 5 correctly.

I'm passing comments about push up form and the perfect explanation is on the next thread.. Duh.

http://bar-barians.forumotions.net/t5355-dips-vs-push-ups
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So many goals.. so many questions :)   

Back to top Go down

So many goals.. so many questions :)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1