Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Have we been lied to?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sy2088

PostSubject: Have we been lied to?   Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:24 pm

I was reading Convict Conditioning 2 today and I thought this was interesting so I thought I'd post it.

"Steer clear of overcomplicating your diet with suspiciously trendy theories and modern fad ideas.
People forget that the most important thing an athlete needs from food is not protein or vitamins, but calories—the energy to perform hard calisthenics. “Calories” has become a real dirty word these days, almost like a curse word. But that’s only because we live in a society where we overeat so terribly. When I first arrived in San Quentin I was tall and lanky and had a metabolism like an atom bomb—I quickly learned to eat everything on my plate just to stop myself going hungry. Follow this example, and focus on getting three good, balanced meals every day, regular as clockwork. If you can do this, you really don’t need huge doses of amino acids or special combinations of food to get big and strong. The old time inmates who perfected the training methods that became Convict Conditioning were lucky to have enough food to stay alive."

"You’d be amazed at how many smart people have been conned by advertisers into thinking that muscle is made of protein. Actually, muscle isn’t built totally from protein. Not even a third of muscle is made up of protein. More than seventy percent of healthy muscle is water. In fact, there’s barely eighty grams of protein in a pound of muscle—certainly no more than a hundred grams. If the extra intake of one-hundred and forty-four grams of protein advised by modern writers was really added to water and turned into muscle, a guy consuming this much protein would gain more than six-hundred and fifty pounds of pure muscle in a year. To put it another way, he would have five or six times as much muscle on his body than Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime as Mr Olympia—after only twelve months of training. Even if you somehow lost more than three quarters of this protein as energy
or through faulty digestion or via inefficient tissue-building, our average two-hundred pound
bodybuilder would still become easily the most muscular man on the planet within a year, if all
this extra protein was transformed into body muscle."

I am not trying to cause an argument here. I just think it's very interesting and want to know how you guys feel about this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kossminn

PostSubject: Re: Have we been lied to?   Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:11 pm

"People forget that the most important thing an athlete needs from food is not protein or vitamins, but calories"
Trees have calories, yet we don't see athletes eating forests away just to get calories; not to mention, even plastic has calories. What we need is the micro and macro nutrients, the calorie is just a metric unit for energy.
Personally I think this part is poorly documented, with little to none real scientific data.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sy2088

PostSubject: Re: Have we been lied to?   Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:19 pm

I think what he means is to not complicate and be picky about every little detail of your diet. He also says this:

"Eat a balanced diet. By “balanced” I mean a daily consumption of meat, grains or cereals,
dairy (milk, cheese, eggs, etc.) and vegetables and fruit. If you are vegetarian, focus more on
dairy."

You're right he doesn't have scientific data but he is speaking through experience from a prison diet. He is saying it's not the best food but he was able to build muscle and strength.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: Have we been lied to?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:55 am

sy2088 wrote:

You're right he doesn't have scientific data but he is speaking through experience from a prison diet. He is saying it's not the best food but he was able to build muscle and strength.

I agree...

kossminn

PostSubject: Re: Have we been lied to?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:07 pm

No doubt Coach Wade has a greater experience in nutrition than me, especially in terms of lack of proper nutrients. I quote: "Convict Conditioning were lucky to have enough food to stay alive." So I don't want you guys to get me wrong, I'm not here to question his methods and experience, I was just expressing my disbelief in the arguments he brings. It is possible to build mass and strength with the food you have available, it's just that is not the optimal way to do it, you're not reaching full potential. Linking this to the title of the thread, I would say: No, we haven't been lied to, it's just that there is more than one way to skin a cat...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: Have we been lied to?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:26 pm

kossminn wrote:
No doubt Coach Wade has a greater experience in nutrition than me, especially in terms of lack of proper nutrients. I quote: "Convict Conditioning were lucky to have enough food to stay alive." So I don't want you guys to get me wrong, I'm not here to question his methods and experience, I was just expressing my disbelief in the arguments he brings. It is possible to build mass and strength with the food you have available, it's just that is not the optimal way to do it, you're not reaching full potential. Linking this to the title of the thread, I would say: No, we haven't been lied to, it's just that there is more than one way to skin a cat...

Well said.

Fi

PostSubject: Re: Have we been lied to?   Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:26 pm

I totally agree with this. The benefits to be gained from complicated diets are minimal compared to the gains you get from consistent intelligent training. The same goes for supplements, which are (IMHO) used by people who are too lazy or stupid to eat properly.

Life is simple, and the more we keep it that way the better it will be. Nutrition definitely falls into that category. Eat veg, meat, fish and fat - easy.

View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have we been lied to?   

Back to top Go down

Have we been lied to?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1