Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

training with bodyweights for martial arts

Go down 
AuthorMessage
reddragon

PostSubject: training with bodyweights for martial arts   Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:13 am

I have read a lott off post on this forum and I realy like it.
But it seems that most off the members just train to get stronger in this kind off training (same as a bodybuilder would do but then without weights).

A sort off a life style (dont know how to exaplin it)

But I am a martial artist and my first thing is to get stronger, more compound etc. for my martial arts.
So to me its a supplementary training.
Are there more guys out here who are martial artist and give me some good advice how I can build together a good routine that build good strength, makes me compound etc.?

Because I train my martial arts 2-3 times a week, I try to run 2- times a week and I have to work on my strength.
I have read on all these martial arts forums that you have to lift heavy for the big 3.
But I don like that, but I know that you can get a lott stronger when you use for example the deadlifts.
But then again, the routine has to be heavy enough to build strength but I have to train my martial arts the next day so I dont want to be to sore from this kind off training.

So are there examples off good routines (bodyweight routines) that I can do to get stronger, leaner etc. to supplement my martial arts training?

Any advice would be more then welcome because I have read the beginners thread but I dont know if it is better to do more sets with lower reps or just a few sets with higher reps, and when you have to stopp with adding more reps (I mean when you can do 25 push-ups do you then have to work up to 50 or is it better to make the exrcise harder) etc. etc.

And do you guys think that as a martial artist you need the bifg 3 to get stronger or is just bodyweight enough?

Sorry for al these questions but I dont know where to start.

I am a little bit older so I dont compete anymore, I try to train for realstic streetfighting (I train more then 30 years martial arts so I think what will work in a streetfight, and I know that maybay its even more important to be in top shape for a streetfight then if you compete).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
reddragon

PostSubject: Nobody?   Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Nobody?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: training with bodyweights for martial arts   Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:52 pm

Hello, 1stly i would like to say that in my opinion u get better at what u train for. If u lift weights u get strong but especially for weights. If u do pull ups u ll get strong but escpecially at pull ups or movements similary to pull up. Personally i both love martial arts and calisthenics so i want to do both, but my 1st priority is martial arts then follow calisthenics with little distance...

Well generally if u want to get stronger then u ll be tired for the next days even for a bit. I mean iits only natual to have some fatigue after a workout.

My suggestions: U can do 3 times workout when u dont go at martial arts, but this will affect just a bit ur martial arts the next day if have gone hard. But its not bad as u ll start getting stronger, a good body in my opinion is essential for martial arts.
Other way is to do it after ur martial arts class , u wont be able to do much but the next day is rest day anyway so u ll be better the next time u got to go to MA class.
Last way is to SLOWLY add reps sets blah blah so ur body will get used to it without affecting much ur martial arts, maybe many small and half easy workouts 5 times a week is good choice so weekend u rest to be ok for the next week. So at start u are ok and late at the week u get tired maybe afftect ur last MA class of the week.

Most important start working out even lightly. Maybe u can combine 1st way and last way, starting the week with light workout then moderate and when the next day is rest day and not martial arts go hard.

Hope it helps. Smile

Goals: Be able to do bar-barians requirements in less than 10 mins, 10 good form one hand push ups, 15 pistols, Be able to do one hand holds on bar and controlled negatives, 1 min hanging l-sit, backlever hold for 5+ secs, advanced tucked FL for 5+ secs, advanced tucked planche for 8+secs etc etc

Long Goal (till summer): My 1st OAC,good BL hold, FL hold, bent arm planche, free handstand push ups, l-sit to handstand on handles, v-sit hold on floor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
reddragon

PostSubject: thanks mate   Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:44 pm

Makes sense. I will give it a try and take it slowly (most off the times my ego gets in the way Very Happy
Thanks for reacting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vibe95

PostSubject: Re: training with bodyweights for martial arts   Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:10 pm

i do martial arts as well.
For me, i mainly do the basics such as pushups, pullups, jump squats, rump rope, etc.
you will definitely notice a difference after awhile, but at first you'll really need to get use to it because you'll feel a bit tired the next day
Back to top Go down
View user profile
reddragon

PostSubject: Okay, I understand   Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:24 pm

I have seen some Navy sela workouts and they look great to. Mostly bodyweight. Maybay a good option to build the reps up?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monkey_business

PostSubject: Re: training with bodyweights for martial arts   Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:44 am

I also do martial arts (JKD) and its possible. But sometimes after a hard martial arts session, next day bodyweight training, specially the push section is very hard and i don´t have full strenght at all.

But for me it´s a perfect combination.

martial arts is very good for explosion force and bwe good for basic strength training.

reddragon

PostSubject: Great book   Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:00 pm

I have a book now from Mark de Lisle, a navy seal book with all body weight exercises.
Its a simple book but the routines are great.
I was a little bit sore from yestarday workout but you just have to start training, when you are busy the pain disaperaes. Its better then to use it as excuse not to train, that was what I always did Very Happy
I am a JKD guy to by the way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monkey_business

PostSubject: Re: training with bodyweights for martial arts   Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:05 pm

Yes thats right ... best way to keep the training up.

It´s not good to build muscle mass, but thats not my target. This gives you a lot of muscle endurance.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: training with bodyweights for martial arts   

Back to top Go down

training with bodyweights for martial arts
Page 1 of 1