Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Question about volume

Go down 
AuthorMessage
quadrant6

PostSubject: Question about volume   Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi all,

I'm 29, classic skinny-fat ectomorph body-type. 6'2 and weigh 80kg (176lb).

My goals are to pack on 5-10kg of muscle... over time. I'd be happy to just look athletic. But instead of getting too hung up on weight, I figured if I just focus on strength and just eat healthy, my bod will take care of itself.

I've actually been working out a long time and am embarrassed to say my strength is pretty low compared to many here. Max: 10 pull-ups, 14 chin-ups, 15 pushups, 10 dips. I can do about 8 bulgarian ring dips. It's been a long journey and early on I couldn't even hold myself in a dead hang pull-up position or do one chin-up.

Now I'd like to get to doing muscle-ups, back levers and handstand pushups.

Now I'm at the stage where I wonder if I should keep following a 3x week workout routine that consists of 3,4 or 5 sets of between 8-12 reps for most things or if I should just start really upping the volume. i.e. I see that many do huge numbers of pushups, dips and pull-ups through the day..... I guess the only thing holding me back is the bodybuilding mentality that this'd be bad for recovery and inferior to doing less volume with more intensity...

And if I do start doing that.. is it just a case of upping the volume slowly?

I've always wondered about working out everyday and just listening to my body.. but it would mean working out while still being sore from the last workout... is that something that just goes over time/

Any thoughts appreciated... I have no problem with dedication and hard work, just get confused about how much would be too much (counter productive, overtraining etc).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Question about volume   Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Yo, well if u workout 3 times per week hard ur upper body and core and then other 2-3 times ur legs then its ok. As for volume, if u feel like u can do more on ur workouts do it, try maybe increase sets then reps. Also if u want to add some more volume u can add some random sets on the rest days. If for example u want to achieve muscle up u can do some extra work for achieving muscle up on leg days by doing 3-4 sets of explosive pull ups , no need to kill ur self as this isnt ur main upper body workout just to train a bit ur explosive pull ups.

Hope it make sense and it helped Smile

PS: If u try it and u feel like training too much and too much fatigue step back a bit and add it slowly.

Goals: Be able to do bar-barians requirements in less than 10 mins, 10 good form one hand push ups, 15 pistols, Be able to do one hand holds on bar and controlled negatives, 1 min hanging l-sit, backlever hold for 5+ secs, advanced tucked FL for 5+ secs, advanced tucked planche for 8+secs etc etc

Long Goal (till summer): My 1st OAC,good BL hold, FL hold, bent arm planche, free handstand push ups, l-sit to handstand on handles, v-sit hold on floor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
quadrant6

PostSubject: Re: Question about volume   Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:10 am

Thanks man, I guess there is no magic bullet or perfect routine. I'm going to listen more to my body and step it up when i can and rest too when i feel like it. I just sometimes get a bit disheartened by my lack of muscle but I know I've made progress (albeit very slow) looking at where I started strength-wise.

Time to really work on the pushups and then go for the muscle up and handstand pushups ( can only go halfway down at moment).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jean-sebastien

PostSubject: Re: Question about volume   Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:30 am

Hi quadrant6. Im very new here on the forum. And under 1year trainning cali's.
I started with 3set routines every set to failure for my first 4-5 months of trainning. my numbers did improve and i shreded fat down a lot. But i didnt feel like i was getting what i paid for.

I was also scared about the whole high volume over trainning,muscle soreness blablabla.

I started doing 10sets of smaller reps schemes ( 10x 10pushups 10x6pullups etc) + grease the groove supersets throughout the day whenever i can (at work,home,on the street)

I also have high rep days where i go submax with longer rest.

My physic and numbers have improved greatly from this. 15 to 25 pushups in 2 months.
My chest has always been underdevelopped and for the first time in my life it sticks out farther then my belly.

Try it. Youll feel amazing. Its as if you keep that afterworkout pump for ever. Nice tight muscles.

Muscle soreness dissapears after a set or 2. Youll be like hey!! Wasnt i sore 10 min ago.

Make sure you eat like a champ though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
quadrant6

PostSubject: Re: Question about volume   Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:57 pm

Thanks Jean. I'll give it a go.

So how many days would you do pushups/pullups now? still 3x a week?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jean-sebastien

PostSubject: Re: Question about volume   Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:42 am

I vary my workouts quite a lot trying to hit all aspects. Have you noticed that when you start a new routine or trainning scheme, you usually feel like its the best routine in the world and that your getting amazing results in the first couple of weeks. Thats how most popular workout routines get their rep. When you change things around you put your body in a situation where it needs to adapt. Dont let your body adapt, use every thing that you know and mix it around to get the benefits of a new routine all the time. If you keep on doing the same routine your body will become very efficient and wont need to adapt as much. Do circuits, supersets. Heavy days, high frequency weeks, high reps, more rest, less rest, plyometrics, holds, etc. If you really want a routine plan it on a month instead of a week. Make sure you keep track of your work outs so that You remember your numbers when you come back to that exercise. (this doesnt apply to skills. Where your goal is to become as efficient as possible)

There are no perfect routines. If you posted your question its probably because your not getting the expected results from what your currently doing. So experiment new thing you have nothing to loose.

Try high frequency also, its great.

Im not an expert but i am very good at listenning to my body.

Good luck.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about volume   

Back to top Go down

Question about volume
Page 1 of 1