Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Muscle Up Time

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Muscle Up Time   Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:30 am

Hi All.

So I've been training on my power tower Bars for over 3 months now, I went from 6 to 14-15 Pullups Max Out.

I can't try Muscle ups on my power tower as it would damage over time and I can't have that.

My dream is to learn Muscle ups finally so I can start seeing a BBR in the horizon, even if a LONG way yet.

So, I'm posting to ask advice or thoughts about Your first Muscle Up, as I have never tried it before yet, I have no idea if I'll manage, but probably Not, I'm pessimist.

I found a high bar at the park and hopefully in the next days or weeks I'll decide to go and try it and film it ofcourse if I manage.

So of you people that can do them, any tips for first time? Like, do you think 15 Pullups in a row would mean I may have enough strenght to attempt a muscle up now?

Hand position and width recommended?

Cheers,

-Elite_Bars-

Jono

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:48 am

Hey, just use the biggest kip you can. Also, swing forwards and backwards on the bar like the motion of a swing. When your body is in front of the bar and is about to swing back and underneath it, pull as hard as you can and kip as much as possible. You'll pull around the bar in curved path (avoiding the bar). Try to picture yourself getting your shoulders over the top of bar, then dip!

Use roughly shoulder width grip I guess. I have it slightly wider sometimes.

Doing more pull-ups doesn't necessarily mean more strength/power to do a muscle-up. It's all about explosiveness. Although at 15, I think you should be able to do it.

Good luck Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/reincarnate100
Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:01 am

Jono wrote:
Hey, just use the biggest kip you can. Also, swing forwards and backwards on the bar like the motion of a swing. When your body is in front of the bar and is about to swing back and underneath it, pull as hard as you can and kip as much as possible. You'll pull around the bar in curved path (avoiding the bar). Try to picture yourself getting your shoulders over the top of bar, then dip!

Use roughly shoulder width grip I guess. I have it slightly wider sometimes.

Doing more pull-ups doesn't necessarily mean more strength/power to do a muscle-up. It's all about explosiveness. Although at 15, I think you should be able to do it.

Good luck Wink

ThankYou LOADS mate for the post! Smile

I see yes, I thought it's about explosive power mainly not just stamina and strenght =)

Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Update: I Am Trash.

Tonight was the night: I went running, and I thought, let's make it the night I go to that bar and try it. Warmed up running and stretched a few seconds.

Result: Failure. I tried about 3 times before I went away very angry.

I realized, I am stupid. It's like driving a car. You can read all the theory for fucking years, but still, you won't Learn until you actually get inside a fucking car, stall it, and then learn, practice.

I have never tried a Muscle up before this was literally the first time I tried seriously. If I had a proper bar at home I would have, but I can't do it with my power tower or it'll fucking break.

So, yeah, first time, failure, guess It's not that bad, or surprising. All I got was some very high chest Pullups, but it's that focal transition part, I really wasn't feeling it.

Truth is, I don't know how to even Kip! LoL Kipping is the thing I most Hate you see, so I'm kind of happy I don't know how to do it to be honest lol I like to do my reps slow and perfect form, any exercise.

But I guess for the first muscle up I'll have to kip a bit or it ain't happening.

I understood that you have to pull up when your starting to swing back?

No homo, the 2 ones out of 3 I tried with a kip, we're Worse than my dead hang attempt!
It was totally fucking pathetic, I didn't know when to pull and what the hell was going on, my hands we're just slipping on the bar, plus I put cream on them before going out as it's freaking freezing out there, so it just wouldn't happen. (yes, I don't have gloves.)

Anyhow I finished complaining, I think there's only one solution:

Keep working out at home as usual, but for Muscle Ups, I'll have to go out there once a week like tonight, and try a few.

Anymore suggestions?

Geronimo

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:03 pm

If I were you, I would start training my muscleups with a little jump. This will help you get used to that transition from pullup to dip. You can practice the transition with russian dips as well as very slow negatives from the top of a bar dip position.

I do suggest a little kip when you first start doing muscle ups to build up more strength and explosive power. Muscle ups from dead hang are tough, especially if you do not have a flase grip. you must be able to do some chest above bar pullups to get that one.

Don't get too dissapointed that you didn't get it on your first try. Just going out there and giving it a shot is half the battle. Keep doing those pullups and dips to get raw strength as well and you will get one soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geronimo

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:03 pm

If I were you, I would start training my muscleups with a little jump. This will help you get used to that transition from pullup to dip. You can practice the transition with russian dips as well as very slow negatives from the top of a bar dip position.

I do suggest a little kip when you first start doing muscle ups to build up more strength and explosive power. Muscle ups from dead hang are tough, especially if you do not have a flase grip. you must be able to do some chest above bar pullups to get that one.

Don't get too dissapointed that you didn't get it on your first try. Just going out there and giving it a shot is half the battle. Keep doing those pullups and dips to get raw strength as well and you will get one soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Geronimo wrote:

Hey bro thankyou very much!

Infact before leaving I was really frustrated, and like, I went to the low bar and dipped up and then did a negative muscle up, but I was all angry and hated it all. I need to get some self control or something, I just get nervous and s**t... I thought after all this training these 3 months of weighted Pullups, that I could do one. WRONG.

Yep I'll have to go back some night and try some high Pullups, explosive. And learn how to use my legs to help me up.

Thankyou for the motivating words.

DuarteP

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:38 pm

To achieve the first one I suggest you to work like:
- 3x a week do 3/5 single attempts at normal muscle ups, then 3/5x Max of one arm muscle ups and do a negative at your last rep of each set
- other days do some bar dips and pull ups (focus a lot more on pull ups)

Just be patient!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Elite there were many topics about muscle up in this forum (search tool helps a lot, even if many people including me dont use it xD).

So this topic maybe help u: !>CLICK ME<!

DNL, Tim and Johhny clear things out in my opinon Smile

Hope it helps Smile

Goals: Be able to do bar-barians requirements in less than 10 mins, 10 good form one hand push ups, 15 pistols, Be able to do one hand holds on bar and controlled negatives, 1 min hanging l-sit, backlever hold for 5+ secs, advanced tucked FL for 5+ secs, advanced tucked planche for 8+secs etc etc

Long Goal (till summer): My 1st OAC,good BL hold, FL hold, bent arm planche, free handstand push ups, l-sit to handstand on handles, v-sit hold on floor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:34 pm

DuarteP wrote:

- other days do some bar dips and pull ups (focus a lot more on pull ups)

Just be patient!

Thankyou guys Smile

yeah bro I do 3 times a week Wink the Muscle up is a Plus that I really need/want to learn, aswell as the regular workout.

I appreciate all the advice people.

Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Okay.... Finally starting to get the hang of it now. One week later. Tonight I went running and tried again 5 times at the high bar in the dark.

I was 'kipping' at the wrong time last week.

I Really almost just did it tonight!, I feel I'm really close.

Basically Just before swinging back I lifted my kness quite fast and I got over the bar but for some reason I can't get to the dipping part just yet. I need to lean on the bar maybe.
But it felt so much more like a Muscle up than last week.

Is it Normal to use some momentum for your first Muscle up???

Thanks Smile

1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Yes it is!!! U ll use momentum for quite a while till u get used to them. Then u can start reducing it till u can do it deadhanf with no momentum at all, but its a LOOOONG road till there.

Keep it up u ll get better at them every week!!!

Goals: Be able to do bar-barians requirements in less than 10 mins, 10 good form one hand push ups, 15 pistols, Be able to do one hand holds on bar and controlled negatives, 1 min hanging l-sit, backlever hold for 5+ secs, advanced tucked FL for 5+ secs, advanced tucked planche for 8+secs etc etc

Long Goal (till summer): My 1st OAC,good BL hold, FL hold, bent arm planche, free handstand push ups, l-sit to handstand on handles, v-sit hold on floor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:01 pm

1stratos1 wrote:
Yes it is!!! U ll use momentum for quite a while till u get used to them. Then u can start reducing it till u can do it deadhanf with no momentum at all, but its a LOOOONG road till there.

Keep it up u ll get better at them every week!!!

Thankyou bro! Hearing it said means a lot XD It felt awesome this evening, it wa the first time it nearly happened Smile Even if it's bad form, still it was about the feeling Smile I will keep trying every week.

By the way as a side note, really appreciate how Positive you always are 1Stratos1. I am the opposite of you in life, as a general attitude.
But it doesn't mean I don't appreciate the other side. I admire you for always being postive and helpful, good on you bro Wink

Goodnight.

1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Thnx , and i strongly suggest u try to be more positive urself!!! Sometimes i overthink to much about things i done, mostly the things i done and didnt like and i get JUST A BIT pissed of it, BUT i try to get better (watching my mistakes) so overthinking of ur mistakes usually is something negative in general, but i try to hold for my self only the good effects of these Razz

Finally the 1st way to fix something is to realize that it exists, then if u have the WILL u can fix it, even it is hard as hell or near impossible(impossible= i m possible , its copy paste from an inspiring topic in this forum Razz ) .

Thats the positive message of the day from a positive guy cheers

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:58 pm

1stratos1 wrote:
Thnx , and i strongly suggest u try to be more positive urself!!! Sometimes i overthink to much about things i done, mostly the things i done and didnt like and i get JUST A BIT pissed of it, BUT i try to get better (watching my mistakes) so overthinking of ur mistakes usually is something negative in general, but i try to hold for my self only the good effects of these Razz

Finally the 1st way to fix something is to realize that it exists, then if u have the WILL u can fix it, even it is hard as hell or near impossible(impossible= i m possible , its copy paste from an inspiring topic in this forum Razz ) .

Thats the positive message of the day from a positive guy cheers

Awesome mate Smile Cheers WinkWinkWink

The 'i'm possible' thing was cool, I'd never thought of that xD

Misko

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:24 am

Hi Elite-Bars,

I've been reading this thread and I thought I'd add my two cents concerning muscle-ups.

You may already know all of this, but just in case. As soon as you've pulled yourself explosively high enough, just kinda roll yourself around and up over the bar, you'll (eventually, probably after some trial and error) be able to use that momentum from the explosive pull-up and keep dippin on up and your muscle-up will be completed. And, yes, definitely kip all you want and need and then you'll be able to clean it up with practice. Oh, and at first you might find it easier to shoot one arm after the other over the bar in that dip position. I hope I was clear enough as english isn't my first language.

I'd say you're just about there, just keep at it as you said.

Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:49 am

Misko wrote:
Hi Elite-Bars,

I've been reading this thread and I thought I'd add my two cents concerning muscle-ups.

You may already know all of this, but just in case. As soon as you've pulled yourself explosively high enough, just kinda roll yourself around and up over the bar, you'll (eventually, probably after some trial and error) be able to use that momentum from the explosive pull-up and keep dippin on up and your muscle-up will be completed. And, yes, definitely kip all you want and need and then you'll be able to clean it up with practice. Oh, and at first you might find it easier to shoot one arm after the other over the bar in that dip position. I hope I was clear enough as english isn't my first language.

I'd say you're just about there, just keep at it as you said.

Hi Misko Smile

Thankyou very much for the long post Wink

Thanks for the advice, yeah, it's exactly that part I couldn't do, like, rolling on the bar, and I'll see about one arm first too =)

Anyhow when it's possible I'll take my phone and try and film it xD

Cheers

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Muscle Up Time   

Back to top Go down

Muscle Up Time
Page 1 of 1