Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

How to Increase Biceps Strength without Biceps Curls

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fed X

PostSubject: How to Increase Biceps Strength without Biceps Curls   Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Biceps strength can be greatly increased with any pull-up & chin-up workout when you are a beginner. Problem is, the better you get at pull-ups, the more you learn to engage your back – pull with the lats or armpit muscles. This is great because you will develop a great looking v-shaped body. However your biceps strength will reach a plateau because your arms will get less and less stimulation.

One solution is to start heavily relying on direct arm training with barbell and dumbbell curls. Although this is a great approach, there is yet another way to train with a compound exercise for greater biceps strength. Compound moves allow for a more natural loading of the muscles.

Enter The Mix Grip Chin Up

Most demonstrations you will see of the mix grip chin-up online just show the regular variation where you simply grab the bar with a mixed grip and pull yourself. While this style of pull-ups is ok, it won’t bring the benefits of the style I’m about to teach you.
•One hand palm up, one hand palm down. Get a strong grip and make sure to place the bar in the top one third of your palm.
•Shoulder width apart. This grip is the most natural one and allows you to emphasize one arm without causing an injury.
•Pull with the under grip hand. Lean towards your hand that’s in a chin-up position and pull.
•Use the lat (back muscle) of the under grip side. Start the move by pulling down your shoulder with a straight arm towards your body. Then contract your lat and finally flex the biceps and chin yourself up.
•Lower under control. Make sure to lower slowly, feel the muscle gradually relaxing and avoid just dropping down. This way you will avoid elbow injuries from dropping too fast.

Benefits of Training with the Mix Grip Chin-up
•Smash plateaus. Adding a new movement and emphasizing one arm will allow you to gain more muscle and strength
•Serious workout with pull-up bar only. You only need a pull up bar to train anywhere with quite a large resistance – which means more strength.
•Simple fitness. Summer is a time to enjoy life and not hide away in a gym. Armed with this move you can enjoy the benefits of the sun.
•Increase biceps strength with added resistance. You will increase the size and strength of your arms in particular without having to carry weights, belts or backpacks.
•One arm chin-up preparation. Mastering this move will put you on the road to achieving the one arm chin-up.

How to Incorporate Mix Grip Chin-ups
•Rotate between strength and size. Every 3-4 weeks, alternate between heavier lower reps (3-6) and higher reps (7-12). This will ensure constant progress.
•Avoid failure on the strength phase. When doing heavy low reps, don’t force the last rep. Instead leave a few reps in reserve and add more sets. You can train 3-5 times per week with the same or similar move or muscle group.
•Train less often on the size phase. When doing slightly higher reps, make every set count and train hard. You will need more rest between such workouts. You will be able to train 1-2 times per week per muscle group in this way.
•Alternate with a pushing move. Couple the exercise with a vertical push move like the handstand push up, the military press, or a dumbbell press variation.

A Video of the Mix Grip Chin-up

Here is a video we shot in the backyard of a nearby school of the mix grip chin-up. Notice how I am leaning towards the under grip arm and trying to pull with this side of my back. Don’t just pull yourself up. Instead use the muscles of the under grip side of the body.

Other Summer Workout Ideas
•Chris from Zen to Fitness writes in this article about the benefits of getting sufficient Vitamin D from the sun.
•For more information on Vitamin D and its effect on health you can check out the website and newsletter of the Vitamin D Council.
•Rusty from Fitness Black Book also shares a bunch of summer time tips here
•Finally Craig from Hollywood Body Fitness has a take on the gym-less workout.

http://relativestrengthadvantage.com/biceps-strength/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: How to Increase Biceps Strength without Biceps Curls   Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:19 am

Great Article...

Sorry if the question is stupid, but does this apply to both Pullups and Chinups, meaning the part when he says that slowly you learn to engage your back most of all rather than biceps?

Or does it remain that Chinups will still always be a good bicep focused workout?

Thanks.

Buckman

PostSubject: Re: How to Increase Biceps Strength without Biceps Curls   Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:40 am

i think weighted chin ups or OAC are good but you should try to feel your biceps more
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: How to Increase Biceps Strength without Biceps Curls   Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:08 am

Buckman wrote:
i think weighted chin ups or OAC are good but you should try to feel your biceps more

Cheers,

Yeah I only do weighted workouts,

Sorry what are OACs? *Embarassed* Very Happy

Buckman

PostSubject: Re: How to Increase Biceps Strength without Biceps Curls   Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:33 am

one arm chin up Very Happy but i am quite far from that move
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: How to Increase Biceps Strength without Biceps Curls   Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:47 am

Buckman wrote:
one arm chin up Very Happy but i am quite far from that move

Oh right! Sick Smile

I can do about three but holding your forearm with your other arm know what I mean? I don't understand the reasoning of it but it's way easier than a dead hang one arm chin up Smile Anyhow I haven't done any since August or so at the beach when a friend of mine told me about trying it holding your forearm.

Plus, with my power tower I cannot hang on just one handle or it'll break ^_^

Fed X

PostSubject: Re: How to Increase Biceps Strength without Biceps Curls   Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:52 pm

since Ive started doing weighted Mixed Grips as described in this article... Ive really noticed a difference and have been able to smash previous plateus. & not that I really care but also my bis & tris feel way bigger & tighter.. Im @ 25 or more BW Pull Ups easy... sticking to 3-5 or more sets & rep ranges from 3,6,7 & 10 or more to get best of both worlds of strength & endurance really works

Last edited by beasty boy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: How to Increase Biceps Strength without Biceps Curls   Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:56 pm

Routines
Contest training: Heavy weighted pull ups
Each one can be a singe routine of sets or pyramid up and or down for all. Do at least 4-5 sets. If you are exclusively doing weighted pull ups you can do up to 8 sets if you are comfortable with that.

■+ 180 lbs to + 200 lbs for 1-2 reps
■+ 150 lbs to + 170 lbs for 3-5 reps
■+ 100 lbs to + 140 lbs for 6-12 reps
■+ 45 lbs for 20+ reps

also using this routine as a template for my mixed grip training

http://extremistpullup.com/routines/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Increase Biceps Strength without Biceps Curls   

Back to top Go down