Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

need a new running Routine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mahalkobalisongs

PostSubject: need a new running Routine    Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:00 pm

i been running for the last three months doing basically the same thing every other day run 1 or two miles at about 10 minutes a mile and so far my time and mileage hasn't changed much so i am guessing i need a new running Routine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mtguy1976

PostSubject: Re: need a new running Routine    Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:14 pm

I'm guessing you want to lower your mile time? A couple of options to go with:
If you are only running two miles tops for each session, you might want to try shorter faster runs. Maybe 6-8 400m (1/4 mile, 1 lap around the track) runs with a couple minutes rest between each one. Now that doesn't mean run it in 2:30 minutes since that is a quarter of your mile time. Run it faster, dont start out at an all out sprint, you'll make it maybe 20-30 seconds. Rest enough between each set to get your heart rate down, 2-3 mins. Another good one is 4 800m (1/2 mile, 2 laps around a track), same thing, run it fast, you will not be able to keep the same speed as the 400m runs, but it should be faster then your mile time. Other options, I like these especially is to mix in bodyweight movements with the runs. This is from Rosstraing.com, guy is a bodyweight master http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/intervalchallenge.html

You can add in sprints too, 30-100m sprints, but I would start with the 400m and 800m stuff first then add in the true speed work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mahalkobalisongs

PostSubject: Re: need a new running Routine    Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:13 pm

mtguy1976 wrote:
I'm guessing you want to lower your mile time? A couple of options to go with:
If you are only running two miles tops for each session, you might want to try shorter faster runs. Maybe 6-8 400m (1/4 mile, 1 lap around the track) runs with a couple minutes rest between each one. Now that doesn't mean run it in 2:30 minutes since that is a quarter of your mile time. Run it faster, dont start out at an all out sprint, you'll make it maybe 20-30 seconds. Rest enough between each set to get your heart rate down, 2-3 mins. Another good one is 4 800m (1/2 mile, 2 laps around a track), same thing, run it fast, you will not be able to keep the same speed as the 400m runs, but it should be faster then your mile time. Other options, I like these especially is to mix in bodyweight movements with the runs. This is from Rosstraing.com, guy is a bodyweight master http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/intervalchallenge.html

You can add in sprints too, 30-100m sprints, but I would start with the 400m and 800m stuff first then add in the true speed work.
thanks Smile i'm going to give that a try sometime this week but my goal is to run 4 miles fast so how do i increase mileage Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mtguy1976

PostSubject: Re: need a new running Routine    Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:34 am

mahalkobalisongs wrote:
thanks Smile i'm going to give that a try sometime this week but my goal is to run 4 miles fast so how do i increase mileage Question
I would check out http://www.runnersworld.com lots of good running workouts. In simple terms, add some distance each week, but not too much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need a new running Routine    

Back to top Go down

need a new running Routine
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1