Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

pull/push split

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Buckman

PostSubject: pull/push split   Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:19 am

hello for some weeks i am trying to increase my push up max and it takes all my energy and i am very weak on pull ups, or vice versa

now i am doing all in one day and core between training days

is it a good idea to split pushing and pulling exercises to become better at them?

for example
pulling day: pull ups, chin ups, front lever training, hanging leg raises
pushing day: push ups, (bench) dips, back lever training, l-sit, lying leg raises
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BLKB

PostSubject: Re: pull/push split   Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:37 am

Hey mate,

I'm only "decent beginner" level at Calis, but I'm brittle (this happens when you get old) and injury prone (too many dumb workouts in the past - long runs in old shoes, max'ing out bench presses as soon as I walked in the gym etc) so I'm pretty good now at avoiding injuries and getting even, consistent progress.

I work out hard, but I always do push / pull in the same workout and always exercise opposing muscles after each other so everything stays nicely in balance. Just so when I'm finished everything is equally knackered.

I'm a big fan of GTG and high volume, but for me personally I find if I don't exercise opposing muscles equally hard in the same workout and balance my push / pulls then I loose my alignment, things get tight and the injuries come.

This is just me personally. Cheers, b
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fafaedras

PostSubject: Re: pull/push split   Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:11 am

Buckman wrote:
hello for some weeks i am trying to increase my push up max and it takes all my energy and i am very weak on pull ups, or vice versa

now i am doing all in one day and core between training days

is it a good idea to split pushing and pulling exercises to become better at them?

for example
pulling day: pull ups, chin ups, front lever training, hanging leg raises
pushing day: push ups, (bench) dips, back lever training, l-sit, lying leg raises

Even when I used to weightlift, I used Pull/Push splits. It helps me a lot.

Now in my splits I start working on Isometric Exercises, then go to strength movements (only in Push now), then do endurance exercises, then an exercise for legs (calves on Push, Pistol prog.s on Pull), then ab exercises. I usually do Lsits on Push and Dragonflags on Pull.
I think I'm getting some good results right now, but my routine focuses more on strength movements rather than increasing reps, that's why my reps in pullups or dips aren't increasing much, but my tucked FL and tucked planche have been increasing. 1s -> 7s tuck FL and 17s tucked planche -> 7s adv. tuck planche in a week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jean-sebastien

PostSubject: Re: pull/push split   Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:10 pm

I also feel like i cant give it my best on my second muscle group when i do push/pull or pull/push. I prefer supersetting both Or taking a very long break between the push and pull. I Use gtg on my off days. That way i send daily signals to my muscles, i up my volume and frequency with out over taxing my cns.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: pull/push split   Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:25 pm

I do Push and Pull on the same day, Example: Monday Pullups and Dips, Wednesday Chinups and Pushups.

I like it like that, otherwise if you do only Pull or only Push you'll wear out sooner on that workout in my opinion. While in my way you alternate sets and you rest with the opposing muscle groups.

Buckman

PostSubject: Re: pull/push split   Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:04 pm

i feel tired after pulling sets tho, not much as i used to but i cant give out my best on pushing(push ups only) and then i cant progress enough if not at all
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SIMBA

PostSubject: Re: pull/push split   Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Quote :
i feel tired after pulling sets tho, not much as i used to but i cant give out my best on pushing(push ups only) and then i cant progress enough if not at all
Do push/pull the same day and start with your weaker movement. For me pulling is my strength so i start my workout with pushing so i can give it 100% then i do pull after. Best advice is to just block the pain. When i train i just try to remember what ironloo said, if your not throwing up, or you cant see a puddle of sweat or tears, then the gains are gonna come slower. Also try to really warm up good to get you pumped for the push ups e.g jumping jacks, mountain climbers or go for a run
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fafaedras

PostSubject: Re: pull/push split   Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:35 pm

SIMBA wrote:
Quote :
Do push/pull the same day and start with your weaker movement. For me pulling is my strength so i start my workout with pushing so i can give it 100% then i do pull after. Best advice is to just block the pain. When i train i just try to remember what ironloo said, if your not throwing up, or you cant see a puddle of sweat or tears, then the gains are gonna come slower. Also try to really warm up good to get you pumped for the push ups e.g jumping jacks, mountain climbers or go for a run

Yeah. like losing half your calories is gonna give you more gains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SIMBA

PostSubject: Re: pull/push split   Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Quote :
Yeah. like losing half your calories is gonna give you more gains.
Your not gonna lose half your calories if your refueling properly. You'll adapt to the training. If you look at laborer workers people always wonder why they're so strong. That's because they workout everyday. Their job is a workout and they've adapted to doing it everyday. The first couple weeks might hurt but you'll adapt in time. Eat well, sleep well and your body can take anything you throw at it. Just my humble opinion
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckman

PostSubject: Re: pull/push split   Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 pm

what do you think about this?

monday - heavy push (more pushing, later weighted) with some pull ups
tuesday - upper body (balanced routine with some skill training - handstand, front lever)
wednesday - core(+L-sit, back lever)
thursday - heavy pull (weighted pulling) with some push ups, dips
friday - upper body
saturday - core
sunday - cardio/rest
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SIMBA

PostSubject: Re: pull/push split   Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:10 pm

Check inbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Michael

PostSubject: Re: pull/push split   Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:27 pm

Keep it simple dude, two good options are:

1)
a) Upper Body Push/Pull or vice cersa (ex.:Pullups&Hspu +/ Pushups&Rows)
b) Lower Body (some from of Squat and/or Deadlift + some form of one-legged exercise to balance out muscular inbalances + murder your abs,lower back,rest of core with some sort of exercise if the other exercises are not enough)

2)
a) Upper Body Push
b) Upper Body Pull
c) Lower Body

Find out which frequency, reps, sets, weights, progressions, exercises, rests etc work for you personally
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pull/push split   

Back to top Go down

pull/push split
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1