Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Thumb injury

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
1stratos1

PostSubject: Thumb injury   Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Guys i got a thumb injury and its really annoying.

Got it from sparring in martial arts and i most of the pain is when my thumb is being bented to the back of the hand, in other cases its normally ok except if i pressure it too much.

The problem is that it looks like its getting better soooooooooo slow and can easily get re injured before it recover....

I can do pull ups but tried once dips and fcked it up...

The reason i make this topic is for any methods to help it heal without imobilizing it, i used to ice it but dont do it anymore only if its worse cause of an activity... Also if u know how much time it takes to heal... i heard that finger injuries are a pain in the butt cause u use them everyday and its difficult to lket em recover...

Goals: Be able to do bar-barians requirements in less than 10 mins, 10 good form one hand push ups, 15 pistols, Be able to do one hand holds on bar and controlled negatives, 1 min hanging l-sit, backlever hold for 5+ secs, advanced tucked FL for 5+ secs, advanced tucked planche for 8+secs etc etc

Long Goal (till summer): My 1st OAC,good BL hold, FL hold, bent arm planche, free handstand push ups, l-sit to handstand on handles, v-sit hold on floor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Thumb injury   Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Have you tried using a hook grip? Like a regular one but without using the thumb, so it just sits straight at the side.

I have only broken my index finger, but I have done quite a few toes (also do martial arts) and I always tape them. It might be that you can buy or make something to keep your thumb straight. Like the plaster cast they use for legs. I would basically try not to move it at all. I don't think dips are a good idea as you'll be bending your thumb and putting pressure on the connecting bones/tendons. Flat-handed push-ups would be better.

To aid healing, don't drink a lot of coffee or eat a lot of fried foods (or other very acidic things). Do eat foods rich in calcium, use or drink bone broth (stock made from bones) and eat lots of oily fish, especially stuff like canned sardines which has small bones. Lots of green vegetables too.

When it starts to heal make sure you do mobility exercises for it (you'll have to look those up) otherwise the scar tissue will make the joint really tight and you'll feel it for the rest of your life (cold weather = my toes are f-ed!).

Hope that helps a bit.

View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Thumb injury   Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:15 pm

I think i get what u mean for the grip, i use it on pull ups having ur thumb near other finders same direction. Its better this way.

I ll guess i ll find some things to wrap it or what ever and eat more vegetables Smile

As for push ups u are right i was doing already many of those.

So i guess i ll just be carefull and hope too heal soon....

Of course any other tip is welcome Smile

Goals: Be able to do bar-barians requirements in less than 10 mins, 10 good form one hand push ups, 15 pistols, Be able to do one hand holds on bar and controlled negatives, 1 min hanging l-sit, backlever hold for 5+ secs, advanced tucked FL for 5+ secs, advanced tucked planche for 8+secs etc etc

Long Goal (till summer): My 1st OAC,good BL hold, FL hold, bent arm planche, free handstand push ups, l-sit to handstand on handles, v-sit hold on floor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thumb injury   

Back to top Go down

Thumb injury
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1