Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Rough Strength Review: Dinosaur Training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fed X

PostSubject: Rough Strength Review: Dinosaur Training   Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:36 pm

Strength Review: Dinosaur Training

Dinosaur Training by Brooks D. KubikDinosaur Training: Lost Secrets of Strength and Development by Brooks D. Kubik.

You don't need a review of this book because you probably read it. And I don't want this to be just another review because my serious training started after reading this book. Besides, it's not just a book anymore, it's bible for many lifters and tranees. And I'll be brave enough to say that it is one of the best books ever written on strength training. This post is for all younger lifters and trainees who haven't heard about this book or for some reason haven't read it (what is a big mistake). Yes, it's blast from the past but it is well worth it. Dinosaur Training has its own pluses and minuses and I want to discuss them in detail.
Why Should You Even Bother?

Believe me or not, but it IS really one of the best books on training you could ever possibly read. It's not about bodybuilding, it's not about 'toning the muscle', it's not about gyms, it's not about fitness etc. It's about pure rough strength training as it is. It's honest, it's straight-to-your-face, it's about strength and how to obtain it. It has right approach. It's really hardcore (very popular word nowadays, but it really became overused by kids who know nothing about strength and true hardcoreness; squatting on bosu ball is not hardcore; grunting and screaming when working with weights less than your bodyweight is not hardcore; wearing brand new tank-top and rapper-style cap to the gym is not hardcore; hard work, sweat and dedication are hardcore). You should read this book because it's about the true essence of strength training.
What Was Brooks Right About?

Well, just about everything. You don't need expensive equipment or expensive gym membership to get results. You don't need to follow crappy bodybuilding magazine programs to get results. You need to concentrate on basics. You need to make your resistance progressive. You need to squat. You need some sort of grip work (yes, you do). You don't need machines. You should train with odd uncomfortable objects. You can build tremendous strength and physique with just a barbell. Old time strongmen knew what they were doing. Heavy weight for high reps principle works. 5 x 5 works. Training with singles works. Visualisation and concentration are very important aspects of strength training. He was right about modern attitude to training. It's just visual. And this bothers me big time. How stupid should you be to train only for your look? Why do you need muscles that are not capable of anything? Why not get strong? Strength is the key to everything, not your look. I have nothing against training to build muscle. But I fucking hate people that are only concerned about how they look in a tank-top and can't stop looking at themselves in mirrors. You all know them. They train just for the pump. They often use steroids because their training sucks. Don't be one of them. That's what I preach. That's what Brooks preaches. That's what Brooks was right about.
What Was Brooks Wrong About?

Despite the cult status of the book the author was wrong in several things. Most of them are minor and don't even worth mentioning. But the main is big. You can't train too heavy all the time. When intensity is too high you'll burn out in no time. I totally understand and agree with Brooks on hard work but hard work shouldn't mean dumb work. You just can't max out all the time. This ain't going to happen. Your nervous system will shut down this possibility sooner rather than later. It's our inner defensive mechanism. Train hard but train smart.
Closing Thoughts

If you haven't read this book yet what are you waiting for? If you had then read it one more time and get nice boost of motivation. Again this is one of the best books on strength training out there. We all dinosaurs inside. Thanks for reading. Be brave to comment and share.

Play rough!

Alex

AZ is ALWAYS on point!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Rough Strength Review: Dinosaur Training   Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:35 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geronimo

PostSubject: Re: Rough Strength Review: Dinosaur Training   Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:59 pm

Not too much has changed in the world of strength training. squats, deadlifts, cleans, jerks, snatches, pullups and such are proven to be the best and it will most likely stay that way. nice vid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rough Strength Review: Dinosaur Training   

Back to top Go down

Rough Strength Review: Dinosaur Training
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1