Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Intermittent Fasting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LIBhenchman

PostSubject: Intermittent Fasting   Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Just started this dieting system that's gaining a lot of popularity. Any takes on this new diet? Has anyone tried this diet before and what's your results so far?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/LIBhenchman
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:13 pm

I've been doing it for a week and a half and these are my findings:

Good
Being able to eat bigger meals so feeling fuller and more satisfied
Stops late night snacking
Training fasting is good

Bad
I think about food a lot and clock-watch till I can break the fast
Don't like feeling hungry in the morning
Need to keep busy or think about food
Have developed a tendency to stay in bed longer, since it was the thought of breakfast that got me out of bed in the morning
Can be inconvenient if you're out with friends or get held up and can't eat till later

Neither
Not really noticed much difference in aesthetics or weight, but it's too early to tell.

It's all personal, but that's what I've found in the short period I've been trying it.

View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
LIBhenchman

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:15 pm

Nice!!! I'm currently on my 5th day doing intermittent fasting and I must say my weight has been pretty stable for the most part under this dieting. Cardio training does not seem to be affected by fasting either. How long are your eating windows?
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:19 am

Generally 8 hours eating and 16 fasting. Yesterday I ended up being late home so it was more like 9.5 eating and 16 fasting.

Actually I weighed myself this morning and have lost 1kg so maybe it is working.

flesmis

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:21 am

Fi, Martin Berkhan recommends shorter - 14 hour fasting period for woman, reason is hormonal balance, which is more complicated and fragile for women.
Against morning hunger just eat more slow digested protein in the evening, like quark, cottage, eggs, milk. Green tea and coffe(even very light) helps too.
You can eat a bit earlier or later, then your normal feeding window starts, because it really doesn´t matter. 1. Calories 2. Macronutrients 3. Fasting period
And, what is great at IF, don´t hold yourself with social life because of already consumed daily portion of calories. It has no efect if you break th rules once in a while. Even twice in a while:)

I combine it with calisthenics too, for a couple of months now, and it´s worth it, IF (Leangains in my case) works:)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:49 am

Yeah I know - I've read all of his stuff. But for me a 14 hour fast would mean eating at 9, which is inconvenient. I either want to eat as soon as get up, or to leave it for a few hours. And I'm mostly done with eating at night by 8pm, unless I'm training late. It's only been a week and a half so I'm prepared to switch it up if I need to. And trust me - I know all about hormonal balance for women, slow digesting proteins and nutrition in general - my diet is on-point - only trying IF cuz I want to lean up a bit to make pulls and MU's a little bit easier!

flesmis

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:16 pm

I understand.
I´m sorry if it sounds like lecturing you, I know you belong to those very well overall educated athletes:)
I wish you success with hitting your goals:) So many girls and women, and of course men should find and inspiration in you and I´m sure they will!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks Smile

You're right though - women's nutrition is very different to mens - not only with the hormonal issues (for example I believe it's much more important for women to eat a lot of far, whereas it's more important to men to eat more carbohydrates) but also the whole "bulking" thing. Like we (mostly) don't want to bulk or gain weight. Get stronger yes, but not get bigger. There isn't much around that's very good on sports nutrition for women which is why I've done so much reading!

flesmis

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Interesting thought.
Yeah, but many women are scared of huge muscles, because they don´t realize, that level of their testosterone is too low for natural ,,bulking" . And calisthenics is in all aspects the right choice:)
And you´re doing right and get the payback in your results..
Maybe you should summarize your knowledge and create something like a .. guide, manual, advices.. for women, as they have various targets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cvok

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:44 pm

what to say about IF.. probably the best way to eat.
Pros: - you don't have to cook until night so you'll have more time to be productive
- the feeling of hunger during days vanishes .
- you'll get lean. really lean.
- you'll feel great ( at least I do)
-improved health
cons: - people usually think you're crazy if you tell them about not eating breakfast and/or llunch
- if you're in an emotional relationship with your food ( you can't do without it) it might take a while till you get used to IF ..
- IF doesn't fit into some social occasions , like brunch et.c

LIBhenchman

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:18 pm

@Cvok you brought up a good point about the emotional attachment to eating. I think the toughest part is skipping on breakfast (depending on your eating windows). It felt weird the first time I started this diet to skip breakfast and workout during fasting periods. Did anyone have any emotional hardships when switching to this diet?
Back to top Go down
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:58 am

IF/LG with paleo diet for athletes is the way to. Its working for me anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:33 am

I'm not sure if I'd call it emotional, but I do just love breakfast! I love my eggs, veggies and coconut milk, which is what I normally have, and I *love* my big bup of proper coffee with double cream!

Definitely the hardest bit for me is the time before I can get that coffee...!

I'm not an emotional girl-type eater though so that's been about it. Christmas with the family's gonna be hard though - they don't really get the paleo thing, let alone the high-fat thing, and they sure as hell aren't gonna get the IF thing either!

LIBhenchman

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:03 am

Yeah Fi I think you and everyone are in that position of having that breakfast. Thanksgiving is next week here in the states and that by far might be my biggest cheat day!!!!

@ NGN What is LG? I'm not to good with initials.
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:07 am

www.leangains.com - one of the best IF resources. Well worth reading, even if you don't do IF. Lots of no-bullshit info on nutrition.

NGN

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:43 am

LIBhenchman wrote:
Yeah Fi I think you and everyone are in that position of having that breakfast. Thanksgiving is next week here in the states and that by far might be my biggest cheat day!!!!

LG =lean gains

IMO LG/IF is awesome for cutting bodyfat and gaining muscle up to a certain level of training. Once a certain volume level is reached fasted training just doesnt cut it anymore. Workouts up to 2hrs long are great fasted anything longer than that and energy levels drop very fast. For me anyway. Not many train like that so for most fasted training is the way to go. My experience with this may have to do with the way I have been replenishing after workouts though. I was doing a carb reload with a massive smoothie then after 30-60 min having my big protein intake. I have since started replenishing with 30g whey as soon as workout is done, then carbs, then protein and more carbs. Will see how this works with the higher volume load. and report back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIBhenchman

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Yeah let us know how that works out. IF is working so good that I can't stop!!! Hopefully it will help out with the tendinitis that I still have.
Back to top Go down
Cvok

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:51 pm

NGN wrote:
LIBhenchman wrote:

LG =lean gains

IMO LG/IF is awesome for cutting bodyfat and gaining muscle up to a certain level of training. Once a certain volume level is reached fasted training just doesnt cut it anymore. Workouts up to 2hrs long are great fasted anything longer than that and energy levels drop very fast. For me anyway. Not many train like that so for most fasted training is the way to go. My experience with this may have to do with the way I have been replenishing after workouts though. I was doing a carb reload with a massive smoothie then after 30-60 min having my big protein intake. I have since started replenishing with 30g whey as soon as workout is done, then carbs, then protein and more carbs. Will see how this works with the higher volume load. and report back.

Try the Renegade diet. It's basically a combination of Lean gains and warrior diet.. In essence you fast 16 hours a day, undereat for 4 hours and overeat for 4 hours a day.

LIBhenchman

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:20 am

Cvok wrote:

Try the Renegade diet. It's basically a combination of Lean gains and warrior diet.. In essence you fast 16 hours a day, undereat for 4 hours and overeat for 4 hours a day.

Yeah I've heard about that diet. Sounds pretty good for body fat reduction but nutrition wise, I'm kinda skeptical. Statements such as "..complex carbs and whole grains are making you fatter or sicker" doesn't make sense to me as these are things that I eat on a daily basis and been doing better healthwise. How has it been working for you on the nutritional side?
Back to top Go down
Cvok

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:53 am

I haven't done it the way he suggests. I eat my food but on the schedule he suggests so 16 h fast, 4 h undereating , 4 h overeating and it's fine like that Very Happy

Buckman

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:12 am

need help guys, this is my schedule

7:45-8:00 coffee
8:30 BCAAs
9:00-11:00 training

11:00 250g curd, 70g peanut butter, some bananas and protein shake

15:00 turkey/chicken/beef + lots of veggies
-now I eat rice too because I can put so much carbs in first meal

19:00 fish, eggs omelet, cottage cheese, some veggies and maybe nuts.. not everything but combination of some

need ideas on postworkout meal I want to keep peanut butter, fruit and maybe protein shake as getting enough protein is cheaper this way, also my goal is to cut weight

maintenance around 2600, 2100 is what I want to get daily
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:45 pm

i got this diet down ,man i was ripped to shreds at 170 with this diet.Got facebook?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckman

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:10 am

I had great experience too, shame on me I stopped and overeat crap during school exams and got almost back where started but this time I will take it seriously

yeah have facebook
https://www.facebook.com/PullupBarDemon

will send you msg later
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KeyserSoze

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:28 am

Do you guys typically train the in the morning or at night? I have done both but sometimes find it hard to eat that HUGE meal while at work haha. I scare people
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:58 pm

I usually workout at evenings, but sometimes i workout twice morning a easy/fast workout evening the "big one"

U could just take 2 normal meals with about 1 hour break so u wont scare ppl so much Razz

Goals: Be able to do bar-barians requirements in less than 10 mins, 10 good form one hand push ups, 15 pistols, Be able to do one hand holds on bar and controlled negatives, 1 min hanging l-sit, backlever hold for 5+ secs, advanced tucked FL for 5+ secs, advanced tucked planche for 8+secs etc etc

Long Goal (till summer): My 1st OAC,good BL hold, FL hold, bent arm planche, free handstand push ups, l-sit to handstand on handles, v-sit hold on floor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent Fasting   

Back to top Go down

Intermittent Fasting
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1