Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Persistent soreness in leg muscles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NGN

PostSubject: Persistent soreness in leg muscles   Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:12 am

I have been training since July and have had some awesome gains. I have put my OCD powers to work on making sure I have the best diet and training regimen to blast past my current levels. I have had a few hiccups here and there but have recognized and addressed issues as they arise and nothing has turned into a major stall.

I do all the research and planning regarding my diet and Ironloo has been helping me with some of the training. Thanks Bro! The upperbody training has been awesome, it is combined focus on strength, ultra strength, and endurance done on separate days. The leg workout (my fault) has been charging up a mountain as fast as I can 4-6 times per week. My legs have totally hit the wall and soreness in my glutes and calves is just not going away. This is the first sign of overtraining along with a regression in performance. I do think I have had that too but it was masked by still making it up the mountain faster (that was sheer determination and drive as I had to push so much harder on my legs that were giving me much less). Loo has directed me to stop running for at least 2 weeks and start a high rep squat/ lunge day. The problem is that I have a 5k race on Sat and I do not want to be a turtle out there. I could follow Ironloo's advice to the letter and drop the race (makes sense), and may do that, but naturally I am going to look for a dietary solution.

I have dialed in my diet and sups pretty good but....dang it...havent put an extreme amount of thought into mineral needs. When working out for an hour 3x per week mineral supplementation isnt really an issue. When working out 3hrs 4-5x per week mineral supplementation becomes very important. Or so I have found out. Shocked

Time to fix the problem and move on, improve. I wont take my body's excuse. Here is an article on the 10 most important nutrients needed for the endurance athlete.

Here is another article with a great list of natural sources. Sometimes though, it is very difficult to get all the nutrients we athletes need from diet alone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Persistent soreness in leg muscles   Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:23 am

What supps did you go for in the end? Never occurred to me to take a mineral supp, although I don't really train for 3 hours at a time!

View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: Persistent soreness in leg muscles   Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:43 pm

I noticed when I do my leg workout the soreness lasts much longer than my other muscles, I guess it's generally because besides running and boxing, I hadn't really worked on Muscles in legs for a long time, so like they're not used to being pounded.

Random question, could you recommend some calves exercises for me anyone Please? Heel Raises are getting boring... Okay, I'll look on the web too but advice from you would be better Razz

Fi

PostSubject: Re: Persistent soreness in leg muscles   Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:39 pm

I find pistol squats and burpees work my calves. Especially burpees if you push up from your toes. In fact anything where you're on your toes will work your calves hard.

I think WRT to soreness the bigger muscles will just take longer to heal. Also if you use the muscles less then you'll have a longer recovery time. I did a brutal leg workout one Sunday and it took me till Wednesday to recover. Then I did the exact same workout that Wednesday and I didn't even feel it the next day.

Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: Persistent soreness in leg muscles   Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Fi wrote:
I find pistol squats and burpees work my calves. Especially burpees if you push up from your toes. In fact anything where you're on your toes will work your calves hard.

I think WRT to soreness the bigger muscles will just take longer to heal. Also if you use the muscles less then you'll have a longer recovery time. I did a brutal leg workout one Sunday and it took me till Wednesday to recover. Then I did the exact same workout that Wednesday and I didn't even feel it the next day.

Thankyou Fi Smile

I don't like to do Burpees as It's too 'mixed up', it would mean doing Cardio and Pushups together, and neither of these exercises should be on my Leg workout day usually. (Jumping squats kill me enough already xD)

I'm quite precise on what groups I work or atleast try to.

Fi

PostSubject: Re: Persistent soreness in leg muscles   Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Yeah I either do them as a warm-up or on legs/abs/back day.

Agreed not to do cardio and strength in the same workout (although you could do one in the morning).

Here is a good routine to blast them as a warm-up though...

20s burpees, 10s rest for 8 rounds.

That's it. 4 minutes. It will kill you Smile

NGN

PostSubject: Re: Persistent soreness in leg muscles   Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:46 pm

I went with TJ Clarks liquid minerals.

Hill sprints, hill runs, uphill farmers walks have been awesome for my calves.

BTW, had a pretty good showing at the San Diego Mudrun, coming in 10th overall and 1st by 2:23 in my age class. About 1200 runners. Not bad for a month of running.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Persistent soreness in leg muscles   

Back to top Go down

Persistent soreness in leg muscles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1