Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Importance of nutrition

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NGN

PostSubject: Importance of nutrition   Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:28 pm

I say to everyone that asks and even to those that dont ask that I believe that nutrition plays a key role in your success in fitness. I have heard 60-70% importance but I believe its more like 80% importance compared to training....

So I spend probably 80% of my focus on what I eat or dont eat and when I eat it and 20% focus on what I do for training and when to train.

That makes total sense to me yet is a total foreign concept to most everyone. its like yeah yeah ok its important...but what is your routine?...dude really?

So this brings me to one question...why the f**k is the nutrition board way down at the bottom of the forum???you want results? or do you want more useless MU tips?

Peace
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BodyweightSoldier

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:38 pm

I am behind moving the nutrition board up to increase traffic and understanding on this important topic. We have dozens of threads on how to properly do pullups yet people rarely visit the nutrition board or the recovery board and its probably why a lot of people hit a wall.

"People think it's an obsession. A compulsion. As if there were an irresistible impulse to act. It's never been like that. I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either."- Batman

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.- Samuel Johnson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
csaba

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:51 am

NGN wrote:
I say to everyone that asks and even to those that dont ask that I believe that nutrition plays a key role in your success in fitness. I have heard 60-70% importance but I believe its more like 80% importance compared to training....

i'm interested to know if this is your personal experience or if you have something more quantitative to back these numbers up? i already eat well but i find that investing more time to eat super well doesn't produce any significant change. furthermore, most people (even the "authorities") don't really know anything, leading to all sorts of theories and confusion :-/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:21 am

csaba,

When I throw out those numbers its purely conjecture...I wouldnt really know how to scientifically quantify that anyway.

I am saying this from my own opinion and experiences.

You say that you eat well but have found that eating super well doesnt add anything. how do you quantify what eating well vs super well?

I have been eating very well for years yet I was fat 3 1/2 months ago. nearly everything organic, plenty of fruits and veggies, would go out to eat once in a while, have deserts, but...would also eat a doughnut at the grocery store while shopping, fast food lunch once in a while 1-2 times per week. had very bad dandruff, some eczema/psoriasis patches on skin.

first month
Then I cleaned it up with the workout ...no more fast food, no doughnuts, no processed foods...started feeling better still bad skin problems, inconsistent workouts, still had skin issues.

second month
Started LeanGains...cut out all sugars, more organic veggies, lost fat but still had the dandruff and skin issues, still inconsistent workouts

third month
removed all dairy(even though it was organic), removed all refined flours. increased vegetables and fruit intake. will not eat anything with food additive or preservatives. That means no more going out for food.
Dandruff gone, skin all clear, workouts intensity and volume nearly tripled, workouts sometimes still inconsistent.

fourth month
added vit b complex and took muli vit every day consistently ( before all other sups were consistent except the multi vit), added maca root powder.
workout inconsistency disappeared. strength and endurance gains increase dramatically. workout frequency,volume, and intensity increasing.

what I mean by workout inconsistency is this - sometimes I would feel very ready for a workout, muscles felt great, not tired at all, then go to the park and have a crappy workout for no apparent reason.

I attribute my ability to do the workouts to how dialed my nutrition is.

yeah...not a doctor and this is no double blind study, Just my opinion.
Im glad I have this opinion for sure though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
G@lvo

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:22 am

I firmly believe that nutrition is only half of the equation, if one neglects training hard, he'll look like an anorexic..
I gained muscle and lost fat doing 20 rep squat or deads eating LG style but not superstrict clean diet..
Imho one should eat good wholesome food and train 3-4x week hard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:36 am

50%...60%...80%

whatever...just numbers

If you spend more time thinking about training, planning training, and actual training than you do the same for nutrition then it will reflect in your results. I never neglect my training, I am just as dedicated to my training as I am to nutrition.

But I have never heard, you are what you do, more like you are what you eat?

Eating exceptionally takes more effort than training. It is a harder thing to do and that is why many neglect it or put forth less effort to their eating plan than their workout plan.

Proof is in the pudding baby! and only time will tell.

Im not the expert, I have my opinions.
IMO if you put more effort into what you are eating and not eating...and it takes research to find out what foods are going to help or hinder, you will reap rewards in recovery times, strength and endurance gains. overall health.

Peace
Back to top Go down
View user profile
G@lvo

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:54 pm

NGN wrote:
50%...60%...80%

Eating exceptionally takes more effort than training. It is a harder thing to do and that is why many neglect it or put forth less effort to their eating plan than their workout plan.

I completely agree on this Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:19 pm

NGN your #s are off haha, it goes this 100% diet, 100% training and a touch of madness the percentage is unknown but a little goes a long way. Mix and match whole foods however you want, train like your life is on the line,sleep well and your good to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Haha Ironloo! you are frackin brilliant! 100%/100% That is the formula
oh yeah and the touch of crazy...cant forget that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jono

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:23 pm

If I eat crap then I get worse. It takes about a week to get back up to where I left off. It's that sensitive, at least for me. If I ate crap everyday, I'd go as far as saying that I'd get worse in terms of performance (not even maintain), even if I was consistent with putting work in No

Last edited by Jono on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/reincarnate100
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:26 pm

I think it's very personal - different people respond to different things.

I eat very clean and am with Ironl00, Jono and NGN, but I've seen others eat what I would consider "crap" and still look insanely ripped and be strong as hell. One of them in a Bar-barian, who I've only ever seen eat what I would consider junk food! I think some people can just train hard and eat what they like and still come out on top.

Then there's that whole issue of IIFYM, but let's not get into that Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
csaba

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:10 pm

NGN that's awesome you saw such large improvements, especially in the month 3 and 4 you described. That's really awesome the link about removing dairy and your skin and dandruff problems going away! I've been vegan for 10+ years and the past few years I've really increased my intake of fruits and veggies, home cooking, and eat much less processed foods.

On top of that, I've spent some time experimenting with amount of protein, carbs, whole grains, raw veggies (juicing), maca powder, vitamins, etc., and as you said, it can be a serious effort, but unfortunately at least for me, I didn't see any miracles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
count em out

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:58 pm

I don't know about all the percentages but I do know that if I get off my eating routine my mood gets bad and mental health is very important.

Over the weekend I was eating 3 meals a day of random restaurant foods and although the food was good it was harder to stay positive.

My days revolve around what I eat and when I eat and that helps me train.

Though some people can still have a nice body and eat not too well they would probably be amazed by how their body and minds feel after being on a healthy routine. I'm amazed by how terrible I feel when I'm off it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SIMBA

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Quote :
others eat what I would consider "crap" and still look insanely ripped and be strong as hell. One of them in a Bar-barian, who I've only ever seen eat what I would consider junk food! I think some people can just train hard and eat what they like and still come out on top.

Couldn't have said it better!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:44 pm

yeah I suppose that is true, but I would consider them the exception rather than the norm. There are always outliers or the fat tails along the gausian distributon with exceptional gifts that we normals are not blessed with.

That said I would not justify my eating habits or training based on such...

which then just brings "us" the normals with: average strength to muscle size, average recovery abilities, average ability to grow muscle. back to using what we can to succeed in our endeavor. Our Minds and Spirit (that touch of madness that Ironloo spoke) to figure out through research , trial and error what nutrition and training to use to reach our goals! Can the nutrition aspect be the great equalizer? I dont know but I am certainly getting the feeling it may be....

Go ahead Beasts and eat what you like. I will continue on my path, but do not be surprised when I come upon you.

Am I saying nutrition is all? No of course not! there is determination, steadfastness in training and practice. doing everything you can that you have the power to control to get there...the food is a big part of that and more so than most think or care to admit.

That is all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jono

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:40 pm

NGN wrote:
yeah I suppose that is true, but I would consider them the exception rather than the norm. There are always outliers or the fat tails along the gausian distributon with exceptional gifts that we normals are not blessed with.

Haha!

Anyway, speaking of anecdotal claims, when I was following the 50 pull-ups program back in May, I did 15,14,10,12,10 with 90s rests. I was at this level consistently while eating well. I'd never have a bad day. Until one day I ate shockingly, and the next day all I could do was 15,14,5,5,5 and I felt so terrible. It then took 2 weeks to get back up to where I left off. That's just one situation. I have had so many like that since, it's ridiculous. Another situation is where I was able to do 5 good MUs early August, ate badly for 1 weekend, and then couldn't get back up to where I left off for 3 weeks. If people can really eat whatever and make progress in endurance/strength, then I'm really jealous Sad
Back to top Go down
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:48 pm

Right...
Jono, you may be at the other end of the spectrum in regards to your sensitivities to foods, maybe to certain foods or non-food additives.

Regardless of where you are at on the bell shaped curve eating the right things at the correct time will only benefit and not doing so can only serve to hamper your ultimate potential.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jono

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:09 am

Yeah. I have to watch what I eat otherwise I get acne pretty bad. I must have some food intolerance or allergy. I guess for some others, nothing affects them
Back to top Go down
blue hefner

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:57 pm

How do you get organic food ?
Since that is the ''healthy food''...Can you even get healthy food, those chemtrails sprayed all over the place you know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:09 pm

affraid lol! bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:04 pm

HAHA laugh all you want...and dude really? they spray the chemicals everywhere? And you know this how? any real evidence there or are you just sayin something and you have no idea about what you are talking about?

hmmm

ok so lets just buy the cheap stuff that gets the full blast of chemical treatments, genetic mods, and fed petro chemical fertilizers.... and forget the organics because they may or may not be tainted with a little overspray....sounds like a great decision.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Importance of nutrition   

Back to top Go down

Importance of nutrition
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1