Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

How You Recover

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BodyweightSoldier

PostSubject: How You Recover   Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:29 pm

How does everyone here remove or limit soreness so they can keep working? Do you eat something, have a stretch routine, foam roll, etc?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckman

PostSubject: Re: How You Recover   Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:13 am

i work out upper body 3 times a week and have off days between i train abs and legs on these days
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: How You Recover   Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:21 am

Good question. Hopefully this will pick up some more replies as I'm always interested in hearing what people do too.

In (roughly) order of my day:

- I do joint mobility work in the morning whilst my breakfast is cooking (this is a good routine)
- I eat well (lots of fat, protein and veggies)
- I stretch after my workout. After doing years of karate I've got a pretty good routine now - worth doing some research to make one that suits you
- If I'm in the gym I sit in the steam room for 20 minutes after my workout
- Self massage and tiger balm before bed
- Myofascial rolling using either a foam roller or (mainly) a product called The Stick which you roll over your muscles to get out knots and increase bloodflow to them. It's awesome - really recommend it.
- I aim for 8 hours well and get enough sleep (that last one's really important)

I also cycle my training - I never hit upper body for more than two consecutive days, then do running and legs on the other days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
BodyweightSoldier

PostSubject: Re: How You Recover   Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:32 am

I use a foam roller and a ball generally before every few days but I feel its not as helpful(on the legs it works my back fine) as it is for some people. So most of my recovery comes from small stretching breaks throughout the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: How You Recover   Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:02 pm

I have found the best recovery is an ocean swim 30min at least. God's gift to us muscle heads is the biggest mineral bath soak. Second is hot soak in natural bath salts,...as hot as you can stand and for at least 20 min. I sometimes soak for an hour and stretch while in there too. Third is an epsom salt bath if you cant get natural salts. The natural salts are going to be balanced for what your body needs vs just magnesium.
I either do an ocean swim or soak in the salts everyday. sometimes in the morning too before a workout...boosts the workout like you wouldnt believe!

Drink more water than you think necessary and if it is filtered make sure to put a lil sea salt in to get your minerals back in.

I have found that stretching cold or after a workout does nothing for me, and the foam roller relagated to use as a kids play toy...pretty much useless IMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: How You Recover   Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:36 am

"ABSTRACT

Objective:
This article provides an overview of literature on the effectiveness of myofascial release techniques in treating myofascial pain syndromes. Emphasis is given to the way the technique was performed, and in what symptomatology the subjects presented with. The technique was examined in how it was applied, and the duration of the applied treatment. The effectiveness of the treatments will be measured in a change of pain symptoms, and in range of motion.

Data Collection:
A computer search using PubMed and EBSCOHost generated articles relevant to Myofascial Pain Syndrome, Trigger Points, Myofascial pain, and Myofascial Release.

Data Synthesis:
Myofascial pain syndrome is a complex process with a number of different causes. An understanding of the causes and clinical presentation is crucial to the diagnosis. The right diagnosis is vital to determining what treatment to use.

Conclusions:
The consensus of the literature in this review, in addition to several noteworthy texts, supports the usage of myofascial release techniques for the treatment of myofascial pain. Myofascial pain can present in clinical settings and can mimic other conditions. Literature relies on palpation, symptomatology, and patient’s history as keys to the diagnosis of this condition. According to the literature, applying an appropriate myofascial technique can be a very effective therapy for myofascial pain. Results have shown a decrease in pain, and an increase in range of motion for the joint acted on by the affected muscle."

From The Effectiveness of Myofascial Release Techniques in the Treatment of Myofascial Pain: A Literature Review

I absolutely notice an effect on both my recovery and how my body feels after doing myofascial work. It's totally worth the investment in time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
NGN

PostSubject: Re: How You Recover   Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:04 am

Sorry, should have said the roller was useless for me and that my roller is now a kids toy....if it works for you that is awesome. I would just rather relax in a hot bath or do some body surfing than roll around on piece of hard foam (that is probably releasing toxins) or plastic (the same).

Didnt mean to imply that it was not a way to do it...just not a way that I like to use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BodyweightSoldier

PostSubject: Re: How You Recover   Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:55 pm

I get to swim in the ocean maybe two to three times a year so that natural salt bath isn't really an option Very Happy . Still that sounds really cool and I'll be considering it if the oppurtunity presents itself.

"People think it's an obsession. A compulsion. As if there were an irresistible impulse to act. It's never been like that. I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either."- Batman

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.- Samuel Johnson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How You Recover   

Back to top Go down

How You Recover
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1