Elite Bodyweight Training
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Pistol problems...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Emachine



Posts : 41
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Pistol problems...   Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi everyone, just wondering if people can help me with an issue, I can currently pump out on average 15 pistols on each leg, however, I cant do them unless I have a counter weight in one hand, or am preforming them on a slightly sloped surface...When I try to do them on a flat surface I simply roll onto my a$$ once I am as low in position as possiable. It seems to me like this is a flexiability issue and definitely not a strength issue as I have pumped out max sets of 20 per leg. If it is a flexiability issue can someone tell me what sort of stretches would be best to help with the flexiabilty needed to do pistols? I dont know tons about stretching theory and pratice, Thanks everyone, Peace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ojiwa

avatar

Posts : 1
Join date : 2012-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Pistol problems...   Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:37 pm

Hey buddy, im learning pistols right now as well. I think the most important part of the pistol is having loose hamstrings. I dont think quads are the problem.. Although i have only done 3 Pistol Training sessions so far (Started last week) I can safely say Foam Rolling my quads, and IT band really helped me loosen my hamstrings. Stretching every day plays a huge roll in how much flexibility you have in your legs. Try a foam roller for your quads and thighs and any hamstring stretches you know. After 3 training sessions i can pistol squat no problem standing on something with the other foot hanging off, flat ground not so much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emachine



Posts : 41
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Pistol problems...   Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:55 pm

ojiwa wrote:
Hey buddy, im learning pistols right now as well. I think the most important part of the pistol is having loose hamstrings. I dont think quads are the problem.. Although i have only done 3 Pistol Training sessions so far (Started last week) I can safely say Foam Rolling my quads, and IT band really helped me loosen my hamstrings. Stretching every day plays a huge roll in how much flexibility you have in your legs. Try a foam roller for your quads and thighs and any hamstring stretches you know. After 3 training sessions i can pistol squat no problem standing on something with the other foot hanging off, flat ground not so much.


Much thanks for the advice, I will definitely start stretching them out daily. Ya I have noticed flat ground is a whole different world. Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geronimo

avatar

Posts : 148
Join date : 2011-06-11
Age : 28
Location : Los Angeles, CA

PostSubject: Re: Pistol problems...   Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:25 pm

In addition to this advice, what helps me is to put your arms straight infront of you for balance. This will help you not fall on your a$$.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emachine



Posts : 41
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Pistol problems...   Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:33 pm

Geronimo wrote:
In addition to this advice, what helps me is to put your arms straight infront of you for balance. This will help you not fall on your a$$.


Ya I do put my arms as far forward as possiable, sometimes it lets me pull one off, but more times then not I will roll onto my a$$ without a 10lbs counter weight in the opposite hand. Thanks for the advice man
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geronimo

avatar

Posts : 148
Join date : 2011-06-11
Age : 28
Location : Los Angeles, CA

PostSubject: Re: Pistol problems...   Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:51 pm

sounds like your on the right track. working on them bare foot is easier than with shoes. try doing that until you are comfortable. keep at it and soon it'll be no problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

avatar

Posts : 544
Join date : 2012-02-09
Location : London, UK

PostSubject: Re: Pistol problems...   Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:56 am

Good tips - thanks. I have the same problem - feel strong but roll back if I go too low. I know I have tight hamstrings but never made the connection they could be related. Will work on my hamstring flexibility and see what difference that makes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
Emachine



Posts : 41
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Pistol problems...   Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:59 am

Fi wrote:
Good tips - thanks. I have the same problem - feel strong but roll back if I go too low. I know I have tight hamstrings but never made the connection they could be related. Will work on my hamstring flexibility and see what difference that makes.


Fi - just an update, I havent been much of a stretcher but last night I did a decent hamstring strech prior to a pistol work and noticed quite a difference already. In my case, the problem is definitely tight hamstrings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BodyweightSoldier

avatar

Posts : 92
Join date : 2012-09-16
Age : 22
Location : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Pistol problems...   Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:25 pm

What also helps is just sitting in the bottom position. Its something Pavel says in the Naked Warrior book and I did those before I progressed to reps and it really helped with balance. Before I just sat in the position I'd fall on my a$$ constantly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elite-Bars

avatar

Posts : 227
Join date : 2012-10-05
Location : Italy

PostSubject: Re: Pistol problems...   Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:08 pm

I have been working on pistols for over a month now. I saw a video of Little Beast and a woman, they had a low table behind so before you fall on your a$$ you touch with your butt and go back up.

Tonight I tried without it first time

Is it 'normal', that I have much more trouble on my left leg? I can get to 90 degress with my left leg, but on my right I don't wobble so much and go further down smoothly.

I'd never thought it was such a complicated exercise, so many things to keep in balance really.

is it bad for the knees?

_________________
War does Not Determine Who is Right, Only Who is Left.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/RSVandCocacola?feature=mhee
Emachine



Posts : 41
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Pistol problems...   Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Elite-Bars wrote:
I have been working on pistols for over a month now. I saw a video of Little Beast and a woman, they had a low table behind so before you fall on your a$$ you touch with your butt and go back up.

Tonight I tried without it first time

Is it 'normal', that I have much more trouble on my left leg? I can get to 90 degress with my left leg, but on my right I don't wobble so much and go further down smoothly.

I'd never thought it was such a complicated exercise, so many things to keep in balance really.

is it bad for the knees?


Hey man,

Ya the table trick is a good method to build up the movement until you can do without it, It is totally normal to excel significantly more on one leg then the other. I honestly think its good for the knees as long as you are able to control the negative portion so you dont slam down. Al kavadlo has a good post on pistols, and knees on his webpage, sorry I dont have the link right now.
There is definitely more to them then it seems, I have been doing them for a year now, and they made my legs incrediable strong, as well as decent hypertrophy, I still have the same problem though, most of the time I still cant do without a counter weight, but stretching has gotten them much cleaner, hopefully I will lose the weight soon.

_________________
"My power is discombobulatingly devastating I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SIMBA

avatar

Posts : 94
Join date : 2012-07-18
Age : 21
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: Pistol problems...   Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Quote :
is it bad for the knees?
Everyone has their own opinion, that's just his justified reason.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emachine



Posts : 41
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Pistol problems...   Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:31 pm

SIMBA wrote:
Quote :
is it bad for the knees?
Everyone has their own opinion, that's just his justified reason.


Some really good points. I am definitely no expert on the subject, but I do think they are "functional" for me anyway. When I grapple there are alot of times I have one foot on the floor with my a$$ on or almost on the ground. Good points though, I guess I never really thought of the bent back thing, interesting, thanks.

_________________
"My power is discombobulatingly devastating I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monkey_business



Posts : 32
Join date : 2012-12-22
Location : NRW, Germany

PostSubject: Re: Pistol problems...   Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:10 am

I can do pistols from freestyle skating.

I did a tutorial video for rocket trick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PipsuF3MpY4

This is pistol with driving on inlineskates.


One of the most important things is to be more flexible than just touch you toe!

Look at the video i am touching wheels not just the shoe!

If you train your flexibility till you grab your heel from the outside, you have some more flexibility left to balance inside of the pistol position.

This helps a lot not to do pistol in bad knee position. You can bring your back more in front like if you do squats.



_________________
my bwe training blog
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sports-cloud.com
KeyserSoze



Posts : 17
Join date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Pistol problems...   Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Just my two cents, I guess it depends on what your goals are. Pistols are more of a form driven exercise, and honestly have given me trouble. If you want leg size and strength probably better off with bulgarian split squats
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Pistol problems...   

Back to top Go down
 
Pistol problems...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Bocar 34 PICT-3 Carb Problems
» FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement
» Instruments panel problems.
» RZR Wheel Hub Problems?
» Ignition Problems

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Welcome to the Bar-barians Forum :: General Discussions-
Jump to: