Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Build a Soldier(NEED HELP)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BodyweightSoldier

PostSubject: Build a Soldier(NEED HELP)   Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Hey everyone I'm a long time listener first time caller because I think I built a decent enough base to accept help from you guys. Just a fair warning this post might get a little long but its basis is that my NEED in life(not goal or wish my NEED) is to be a Navy SEAL and to be the best warrior I can be so I'd like help from some of you workout gurus to form a better routine. I know you need more information to refine what I do so I'll try to be as specific as possible about what I do and what I'm trying to get done.

I'm a fighter who does muay thai, jiu jitsu, and some boxing. The boxing is generally a part of the muay thai classes because its an MMA gym. The classes are an hour long for each and I do 1 to 2 classes a day along with a 2-3 hour or so workout before or after. I also run when I wake up at 5 something in the morning. The classes are more skill based with intenisty coming from sparring,rolling, or bag work but trust me only sparring is physicaly exhausting in the class.

For my out of class workout I don't follow a set schedule like a push and pull day or leg day. I do whatever my body says I can do so I generally push everything till it hurts(I don't mean sore) unless it already hurts.

Generally speaking it looks like this

Monday/Wednesday/Friday:
5:40 A.M.- Morning run 1.5 miles with sprints(working on distance) then short ab work, pushupps and squats(not intense)
5:00-8:20 P.M- Pre-Class moderate workout then class, then post workout(maybe skill training)

Tuesday/Thursay:
5:40 A.M.- Morning run if legs are up to it if not weighted shadow boxing
5:45-8:20 P.M- Pre-class workout, then Jiu jitsu class, then grappling.

Saturday:
Intensive rest day(I give it my all to do nothing)

Sunday:
Its a skill day. I spend an hour and a half to two hourse working the bag, jump rope, shadow boxing and whatever.

My bodyweight workouts everyday generally include a minimum of 200 pushups a day(sometimes less if I'm working plyometrics or weighted), lots of ab work, some leg stuff(limited because of the running, sprints, and stairs I do), and 120 pullups with variations.

I didn't mention my wieght lifting class because its during school happens either two times a week or three times a week and I use it to do a minimum of a mile run, rope climbs, 240 dips, and other various calithenics. If I have that class I won't work out as much before jiu-jitsu or muay thai.

I guess I'm looking for specific routines or moves you guys have that would benefit me. Like ab routines that would benefit a fighter, leg work that would help, shoulder routines(I am working on HSPUs), and specific moves like planches, muscle ups, one arms rows, or whatever you guys think would help.

P.S. I know I mentioned becoming a SEAL and their isn't any swimming involved but thats because it's not a part of my schedule yet. I have to find a place to learn and get better yet but I'm on it.

P.S.S- My fighting weight will be around 145 lbs and I'm at 147 now but I'm still quite chubby so I want to drop about 10-15 pounds then build that back with muscle so no part of me is useless.

Thanks for any help you can give me and if you can't thanks for looking at it. The reason I'm being so polite is becuase without people like the Bar-Barians I would have still been a kid playing a sport he no longer loved, and not even realizing how fat he was(weight 170-180 last year). So again thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emachine

PostSubject: Re: Build a Soldier(NEED HELP)   Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:20 pm

Sport Specific Skill > Strength

All bodyweight execerises will improve your strength(s), There is quite abit of different routine idea's posted all over this great forum.

If your want to drop weight, eat cleaner, your current schedule looks like its enough to have you dropping weight.

I have a boxing background and IMHO one of the most important workouts for a fighter is tabatas burpees/sprints, If your not sure what they are look them up

Good Luck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
loganchristopher

PostSubject: Re: Build a Soldier(NEED HELP)   Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:38 pm

PS: don't you think that 147 lbs is a kind of low weight ?

I would try to get it a little higher
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lostartofhandbalancing.com
BodyweightSoldier

PostSubject: Re: Build a Soldier(NEED HELP)   Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 pm

To Nuck:Yeah I know what tabata burpees and sprints are but I don't use them to much because I'm not a tabata fan. Since you suggested it though there is no harm in trying them out so thanks for the help.

To logan: I don't really know what you're talking about? Why would I want to get higher? I'm fighting in the 142-147 range so I should stay at that weight. Its not a low weight because I still have fat to loose.

P.S. For anyone else wishing to help I just signed up for my high school wrestling team and I'll be subsituting that into my schedule so if you have ideas for that I'm all ears.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emachine

PostSubject: Re: Build a Soldier(NEED HELP)   Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:25 pm

BodyweightSoldier wrote:
To Nuck:Yeah I know what tabata burpees and sprints are but I don't use them to much because I'm not a tabata fan. Since you suggested it though there is no harm in trying them out so thanks for the help.

To logan: I don't really know what you're talking about? Why would I want to get higher? I'm fighting in the 142-147 range so I should stay at that weight. Its not a low weight because I still have fat to loose.

P.S. For anyone else wishing to help I just signed up for my high school wrestling team and I'll be subsituting that into my schedule so if you have ideas for that I'm all ears.

If you want bodyweight ideas in regards to wrestling....check out this trailer, though its only a trailer it should give you some things to work on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBGfdLS3Uv8&list=FLiMvSKpJIqX8UkZcmDWNx9A&index=9&feature=plpp_video

you should start getting familiar with neck/back bridging quite soon. As for the tabatas, is there a specific reason you don't like them? I have trained with Olympic level boxing coaches, they swore by tabatas burpees, they described the fatigue from them as being very simular to the fatigue from combat, as well the burpees will get you used to having to change your levels (ground to standing) quicker, which is a staple of wrestling. IMO I swear by them, if your into any sort of fighting their a must.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Derrick

PostSubject: Re: Build a Soldier(NEED HELP)   Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:13 pm

I have trained extensively with guys from special ops, and even though it was never my desire to go military, I hope I can still clear some things up.

Being a Navy SEAL is mostly about endurance. A good soldier is not the one who can hold human flag, but the one who can walk 30 miles with a 50 pound backpack, and still be combat-ready.

If I were in your shoes, I would dedicate 90% of the time on endurance training - long distance running (anything up to a marathon), hill running, HIIT, cycling, rope jumps as well as high volumes of push-ups/squats/sit-ups. In addition, I strongly suggest working on your grip strength. At the very least, spend 10 minutes daily hanging on the bar. If you have access to a rope, do rope climbs. In best case scenario, combine rope climbs with rafter pull-ups and indoor rock climbing.

So, train your endurance, train your grip and you'll be a killer soldier Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Build a Soldier(NEED HELP)   Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:41 pm

Derrick great advice man. Same here i wanted to be a marine but also couldn't join . Had them in my house i was ready to go too bad. Another dream job i always had was SWAT team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BodyweightSoldier

PostSubject: Re: Build a Soldier(NEED HELP)   Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:52 pm

To Nuck: Thanks for the vid! The reason I don't like Tabatas is because the study was made so that you only worked out for those four minutes and did nothing else so I feel doing multiple or doing stuff after isn't technically a tabata. Its more like I don't really do them rather than that I don't like them but I will be adding them.

To Derrick: I'm a little jealous that you get to workout with those guys and thanks for the advice but there was no need to clear things up. I know in BUD/S there isn't a flag holding contest or a need to rep out muscle up but that doesn't mean the strength to do that won't come in handy. In BUD/S there aren't any weights but people still do some weightlifting to prepare.

I still focus on grip, endurance, and high volume but I know from talking to former and current SEALs that gymnastic training and sport training is very helpful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Build a Soldier(NEED HELP)   

Back to top Go down

Build a Soldier(NEED HELP)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1