Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fed X

PostSubject: 5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits   Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:21 pm

5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits...So I was sitting and thinking: "Why sandbag strength training isn't really popular nowadays?" Actually two answers came up to my mind. Firstly, sandbag training is really tough. It's not for all those boys and girls that attend fitness clubs to get social. It's not for all those fat rich people that are so got used to luxury and comfort that they drive to fitness club to walk on treadmill. And, of course, it's not for all those close-minded pseudo-bodybuilders that think that nothing works if it's not a barbell, dumbbells or machines. Secondly, with sandbag training there's nothing to sell. Well, almost. You need just a bag and sand. Here's my tutorial on how to make a sandbag. Sandbag training is not as popular nowadays as it should be. It gives you rough reality check. It shows you how really weak you are. That's why you need to implement it and get stronger in it. Here's five reasons you need to do so.

1. Sandbag training is cheap.I prefer to say that sandbag training is ridiculously cheap. Again you'll need a bag, some sand and some time to put it all together. Almost no thinking involved. My recent sandbag cost me under $5. And all I payed for was a bag. As for the sand I made some "research" on how to get it free and decided that the most cost effective solution was to stole it from construction site near home at night (: That's how we do it in Ukraine. Rough Strength style. But I digress. Just count. No gym memberships (why home gym?), no bars, no plates, no dumbbells, nothing. Fully equipped home gym in under $5. I think I made my point.

2. Sandbag training develops real life strength.When I heard term "functional training" the first time I thought: "Wow! Really cool term for strength training". Later when it became popular fitness clubs started label everything as functional. Well, I don't want to be rude but how the f**k bosu-ball is functional? What real life function of the body does it train? Or how 1 kg dumbbells are functional? Smart people just selling useless crap to dumb people. That's functional. That's why I prefer to use term real life strength. Anyway, sandbag develops this kind of strength. Of course, I'm not talking here about light weight sandbags. You'll feel this benefit when you will work up in basic exercises to at least a sandbag that is equal to your own bodyweight. I use 80 kg sandbag now. Here's video of me push pressing 75 kg sandbag for 4 reps:

Just look at my face at the end of the set and you'll understand everything (: You'll be amazed of the potential of this tool for building strength.

3. Sandbag training develops muscles that you weren't aware of.That's true. Just try it. You'll feel soreness in muscles you thought didn't existed. Training with sandbag forces your body to use its stabilizers MUCH more. Why? Because it's always uncomfortable, unstable, it's always changing its form and always trying to escape your hands. It reminds me wrestling a human. Well, at least dead human. Is sandbag training optimal for building muscles (again "optimal", noticed?)? Well, it's hard to say. More yes than no. Lift damn sandbag, remember progressive resistance, get right diet with slight calorie surplus, sleep and grow. It's just that. You'll build some decent muscular body and strength to match.

4. Sandbag training develops bone-crushing grip.Have you ever tried to pick up a heavy sandbag? Have you been able to crush it? The answer is probably 'no'. Because it's almost impossible to get a good grip on sandbag. It's hard and it's uncomfortable. Your fingers will get a workout-in-workout. Prepare for some hard work. You'll be able to lift less weight than with a barbell because of this factor. But your muscles will actually work more. Resistance is resistance. And prepare to obtain a pair of vise-grip hands.

5. You always need to lift sandbag off the floor.That's big factor. People nowadays seem to oversimplify their training. Treadmill over outdoor running, bench press over military press, leg press over squats and deadlifts. I can go on and on. And then they wonder why they are so fat. That's why. Do some more work. Such oversimplification won't work with sandbag strength training. You always need to lift sandbag off the floor. This means more work and more fat loss. Just try it.

Closing ThoughtsI hope I gave you some reasons to at least give sandbag strength training a shot. It's definitely not for everybody. Just for the toughest of us (: As always thanks for reading. Don't be afraid to comment and share.

Play rough!

Alex Zinchenko

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pilku

PostSubject: Re: 5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits   Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:59 am

If I make myself a 70kg sandbag and its difficult for me to do much with it, what key exercises should I start doing with them? some basic exercises that would be easy to begin with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: 5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits   Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:50 pm

I think I'll start with a 25-30kg sand bag for carries to mix up with farmers walks.

good stuff beasty!

you could also fill with gravel. I got a bunch in my yard that the landlord wont miss.
plus it will be much more comfy in my back pack than a dumbbell slamming against my lower back everytime I do a rep of weighted pulls or dips.
Im going out right now to pick up some bags.

I think it much safer than a large stone too since if you drop it on yourself the collision time is much longer as it changes shape during the impact --->ironloo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: 5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits   Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:59 pm

just filled 2 bags...one with 50lb of sand which I bought for $5, about the max capacity of the bags I got. and filled the other with 20lbs of sand and gravel from the yard. got one extra sand bag not filled..,total cost was $8.23.

The 20lb bag will replace the 20lb dumbbell I was lugging in the back pack that was bruising my back as I walked to the park. The 50lb bag still fits, barely, into the back pack for dips and also be used for sandbag walks.

That's a good start I think and will fit nicely into my training regimen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: 5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits   Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:36 pm

NGN thats pretty awesome
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: 5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits   Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:44 pm

NGN Haha thats true but i am not scared of any stone, sandbags are good but don't compare at all to the stone i used both.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: 5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits   Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Golden Era Bodybuilding Beasts
Posted by Zach Even-Esh on Mon. Feb. 14th, 2011

Robby Robinson is what I call a Renegade Underground Bodybuilder.

His favorite upper body workouts were endless supersets of the bench press and pull ups / chins ups.

His favorite lower body workouts were endless supersets of front squats and RDLs (Romanian Deadlifts).

Heck, ANY athlete can benefit from those movements, you don’t have to be a bodybuilder to be able to perform Density Training, ala Coach Reeve with the basics.

Robby loved the basics that any serious strength and muscle building fanatic should never stray away from:

- barbell power cleans / muscle cleans

- dips for high reps with bodyweight or lower reps with added weight

- barbell cheat curls

- sprints in the sand of Venice Beach, aka Muscle Beach

Not ironically, some of the thickest and most dense bodybuilders from the 70s and 80s performed sprints of all types:

- hill sprints

- sprints on the track

- sprints on sand

Guys like Casey Viator would run sprints, AFTER he snuck away from his brutal workouts under the guise of Arthur Jones. If Arthur Jones would have known he may have freaked out as he was so focused on HIT training, get it done, get out, rest and GROW.

I remember reading one of Arnold’s books where he encouraged bodybuilders to be “in shape.”

He spoke of finishing your workouts by sprinting and running hard on the beach, or, running between parking meters and jumping over curbs to improve agility and to help burn fat.

Some of my best workouts came when I stopped going to the regular gym and simply set up shop in my Dad’s freezing cold garage. I built my own atmosphere and there were no half serious or half hearted lifters in my to steal my thunder.

It forced me to get away from machines, cables and too much exercise while sitting or lying down.

It was just me, a 300 lb barbell, a pair of 50 and 100 lb dumbbells, a flat bench, dip bar and the sound of hard rock n’ roll music. I still cringe when I hear stories of people telling me their easy listening gym tunes can barely be heard over the noise of everyone talking about what they did last weekend.

Ground Based lifts became the corner stone of the majority of my lifting and man did I feel and see the difference in added strength, power and muscle gains.

I still recall my hunt for equipment….. I hunted down my original equipment through newspaper classifieds and the original days of E Bay where some REAL gems would be found on e bay for dirt cheap! Nowadays, people have old school equipment collecting dust in their basements or garages and those weights need a pair of loving hands gripping onto them. Those hands could be YOURS.

Hey, heavy weights need love, too!
One you get the free weight basics down, you should make yourself a sandbag, working on the basics once again of sandbag workouts:

- clean & press

- zercher squats

- back squats

- lunges

- carries

From there, collect a few stones. I can only imagine the BEAST you will become as you begin putting together workouts mixed with free weights, sandbags, stones and bodyweight training.

The combination of training like a Renegade Bodybuilder and the use of odd objects will be a deadly combination.

Don’t feel the need to stick to full body workouts every single workout, I have found that regular full body workouts slow down gains in strength, power and adding muscle. Rest is key, especially if you REALLY train hard.

Instead, try splitting upper and lower body workouts and then have a high rep day for lower body or just upper body. The upper body tends to recover faster than the lower body so use your intuition, listen to what your body wants and needs and take it from there.

I wouldn’t want to run into you walking down a dark alley after a few short months of training like this.

Time to get after it and make it happen.

In Strength,

–Z–

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: 5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits   Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:03 pm

ironloo wrote:
NGN Haha thats true but i am not scared of any stone, sandbags are good but don't compare at all to the stone i used both.

stones are way AWESOME
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: 5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits   Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:04 pm

ironloo wrote:

I know it ironloo! just baggin on you (pun intended). I certainly would be scared of dropping a large stone on me though. So the bag is good enough for me, for now. maybe when I put a little more mass and strength on I'll adjust. I'm still skinny at 175#
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: 5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits   Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Alex Zinchenkos 75 kg sandbag PPs are pretty impressive
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: 5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits   Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:27 pm

NGN yea it was my fault i got to know its a stone not a basket ball, trying to hoop it over 6ft. bar and throwing off cliff hills i was having too much fun not good. That's a good size bag too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: 5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits   Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:44 pm

ironloo wrote:
NGN yea it was my fault i got to know its a stone not a basket ball, trying to hoop it over 6ft. bar and throwing off cliff hills i was having too much fun not good. That's a good size bag too.

my bag or that 75kg bag? Im assuming the latter.

My philosophy towards avoiding injury while training is that I have to respect my body and protect it for my own good and training longevity...I have a healthy fear and know Im not invincible and that there are injuries you cant fully recover from.. I def dont want one of those and will avoid doing things that have any possibility of a catastrophic injury - to a point. for example I know that I have the strength to do a hand over hand rope obstacle 25' long and 25' off the ground with out failing and I would do it. If i fell I would probably break my legs but the probability of me losing my grip is so slim that it would be safe for me to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: 5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits   Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:46 pm

doing GTG with the 50lb bag and 2 pull ups right now....cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: 5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits   Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:06 pm

thats pretty awesome bro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits   

Back to top Go down

5 Sandbag Strength Training Benefits
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1