Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Need help - 1 Arm Chin Up

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dalight91

PostSubject: Need help - 1 Arm Chin Up   Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:23 am

Hi everybody. Just joined the forums – Really excited to be a part of the community.
First a little background information – Maybe plays a role in my question. 20 years old (nearly 21). Been an ultrarunner (running distances beyond marathons) for a few years, and also been into bboying/breakdancing for half of my life, which has given me some experiences with bodyweight training. Around 65kg, and about 170cm tall (or short).

Besides that, I also lift weights, but a major part of my strength training is with bodyweight exercises. I have had the one arm chin up in mind for a while, and can “easily” do 20 regular chin ups. A few weeks ago I saw a man in a wheelchair doing one armed chin and pull ups in my local gym and I was blown away. He gave me some tips in how to attain it, and told me that the greatest exercise that helped him get it down, was 1 one negatives, and lifting up with both hands, letting go of one, and try to keep up. After about 4 weeks, I went from not being able at all, to now, being able to hold for about 7 seconds – But I’m quite a lot stronger in my left arm.

Today I was able to lift 40 kgs (88 pounds) twice, attached to my dipping belt, and get my chin above the bar. I can take 35 kgs 5-6 times in a single set, and of course less and less weight, for more reps.

Even though I’m relatively strong, a true one armed pull up still seems far far away. Should I keep training for endurance, or lift heavy kilos in my dipping belt, for much lower reps?

Furthermore I have begun to feel some pain in especially my left elbow especially during one arm static holds, but also 2 handed chin ups with heavy weight. It goes away after a few hours, but I can feel it the next days when training. Should I lift less weight, take short breaks or hope my body and tendons will adjust?

Thanks a lot if you bothered reading through!
Mads

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DannTheSuperman

PostSubject: Re: Need help - 1 Arm Chin Up   Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:26 am

yes you should rest for a while so your elbow tendons recover from the stress,but my advice is to start training your shoulders,they are one of the main muscles in OAP, so do some shoulder exercise (like HSPU use wall if you can't balance) good luck bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kossminn

PostSubject: Re: Need help - 1 Arm Chin Up   Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:29 pm

The pain in the elbow comes from your rush to progress faster than your body can adapt. Don't neglect it, take it slower otherwise you'll be sorry (I speak from my own experience) Use the 10% increase/week rule (I'm sure you are familiar with it from running) in weight, numbers, seconds. When I used it the pain disappeared. You are on the right path with the progressions, just be patient, you'll get that one arm pull-up someday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Need help - 1 Arm Chin Up   Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:47 pm

http://www.beastskills.com/one-arm-chin-up-pull-up/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Digit

PostSubject: Re: Need help - 1 Arm Chin Up   Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:47 am

Man what about dips ???? DO u train Dips to keep balance ?
I try the negatives and i can do only 13 pulls and no problem with stress. Well i can do 32 good dips so my elbows and triceps are well trained.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dalight91

PostSubject: Re: Need help - 1 Arm Chin Up   Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks alot for the answers. Already read at Beastskills - Wonderful guide.

I will try to work more on my shoulders, and rest more. Nice to know that I'm on the right path. Yes, i do alot of dips also - Not sure how many i can do only with my bodyweight. I can take a few sets with 6 reps with 35kgs, so it is not that i don't work on shoulders and triceps at all.

THanks for the advice regarding 10% - I have used the same method in running as well - Even though training mostly barefoot, 10% kept my injury free no matter what distances - as long as building up slowly. I will keep this in mind.

Would love to hear from more people who have managed to get at least 1 one arm chin/pull up.
THanks alot guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help - 1 Arm Chin Up   

Back to top Go down

Need help - 1 Arm Chin Up
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1