Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Training to be a Bar-Barian

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Phanta

PostSubject: Training to be a Bar-Barian   Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:23 am

Can someone tell me how do I train for that?

I can't do MUs

I can do:
20-30 Push-ups
8 Pull-ups (my numbers dropped lately)
10+ Dips (about 6 on Rings)

at the moment I'm doing a very simple routine...
Doing 3 sets of max Push-ups in the morning, then some form of Pull-up routine later on the day... I finish it with some Rows and Core and that's it.

I train 5 days a week.

My strong point is my core and my weak point are my shoulders.
I have no idea how to construct a "routine" that will help me train for the Bar-barian requirements.... and yes, I have read Tim's thread for beginners and No, it did not help.

The biggest problem I have is where to train for MUs... I don't have fitnessparks in my area and I can't do it on my mounted set. The best thing I have are G-rings but I'm sure it's much harder!

Anyway... help?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Digit

PostSubject: Re: Training to be a Bar-Barian   Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:49 am

Man there is no way the beginners thread didnt help you.... Nevermind try to increase your reps and then go for mu's. 10 dips and 8 pulls are low numbers. I started from zero and still try to progress. You can find a lot of routines through the forum and in the web. Experiment and see what fits you. I used the armstrong pull up program first next i did something else to break the platue and now i am using it again for pulls dips and push ups. Tim explains everything about pyramids high volume ladders etc etc. Dont try to find a specific routine. Train hard !!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Training to be a Bar-Barian   Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:12 am

Phanta wrote:
Can someone tell me how do I train for that?
A ton of training, there's no magic routine, and given the amount of training required having just 1 routine will make you so very bored.

Quote :

My strong point is my core and my weak point are my shoulders.
I have no idea how to construct a "routine" that will help me train for the Bar-barian requirements.... and yes, I have read Tim's thread for beginners and No, it did not help.
Read other peoples logs, there's hundreds of different routines in them that you can take ideas from and scale them to your level.

for instance the mini BBR one that's going around at the moment, i think K4lisPeluru or Duf might have said it?
20 dips, 10 pulls 25 presses in 3 mins - 2 min break (plus what ever is left of the 3 mins) repeat for 5 sets. Nice short 25 mins workout

You could scale this down to 6/3/11 and when you've completed that just add 2/1/2 onto it.

The way to make your own basic workout is to combine max sets and pyramid/density training with a few supersets thrown in. All of which is in the beginners thread as digit pointed out Smile

Quote :

The biggest problem I have is where to train for MUs... I don't have fitnessparks in my area and I can't do it on my mounted set. The best thing I have are G-rings but I'm sure it's much harder!

Any childs playground will usually have some form of high bar, like on the swings or climbing frame. It might not be a curvy bar instead of straight, but they're high enough off the floor to use. Scaffolding can be used as well. You can try learning the technique in a swimming pool if you're in a hotel. (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=484430751569350) not sure if that'll work but it's zef doing muscle-ups in a pool. It will be assisted due to the water, but it will help.

And you can use gynastic rings too if you have them. They are not harder, but they do use a very different technique. Practice pull-ups with the false grip to start with on them. You need to get used to pulling in that grip in order to get the M-up on rings
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Training to be a Bar-Barian   Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:08 am

Work on increasing your strength in the basics

For muscle-ups, you can do them on the rings, but you have to get a good false grip down first. Try false grip rows first, then dead hangs, then pull ups. Also, make sure to do bulgarian dips and front support holds.

You say your shoulders are weak, so start doing more work on them. Try pike push ups then progress to handstand push ups (with the wall or freestanding if you have a good handstand).

For your core, I say practice dragon flags and body levers until your pull ups get a bit better, then start training front lever and back lever.

and I think your workouts need more volume. Add more sets, and don't split up your training in one day. Get it all done at once and build more endurance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training to be a Bar-Barian   

Back to top Go down

Training to be a Bar-Barian
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1