Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ray.from.hk

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:24 pm

I wonder if one can do this program with muscleups.

one thing I have realized about this program is that its volume is very low.
are we suppose to be solely on this program or can we do this in additional to our regular program?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:44 pm

ray.from.hk wrote:
I wonder if one can do this program with muscleups.

one thing I have realized about this program is that its volume is very low.
are we suppose to be solely on this program or can we do this in additional to our regular program?

Hi Ray,

yeah why not with MUs. I would put this program in a beginners catagory. Low volume works well for beginners IMO.
I do this program with weight 2x per week in addition to 4-5 sets of other back exercises during that workout. I also do a couple of max out sets thru out the week during run intervals and also super heavy (for me) GTG pull ups and chins on the week ends. So its easy to add a little volume and variety.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ray.from.hk

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:59 pm

thanks for the quick reply Wink May I ask how tall and how heavy you are? coz i just read the previous replies of this post and I just want to estimate how much behind I am and maybe adjust the volume accordingly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikey1995

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:01 pm

this has been giving me great results so far...

i have a question though

even though this routine works...
i only feel pullups in my biceps and my lats do not grow or burn whatsoever
i have tried many different grips and thumbless and all the ways i can think of
please help me engage my lats in pullups because my biceps dont grow that much from pullups and lats dont grow so its basically a waste of time if i don't feel my lats...
thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:11 pm

Ill have to post a video on the form and mind to muscle connection tips.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:16 pm

ray.from.hk wrote:
thanks for the quick reply Wink May I ask how tall and how heavy you are? coz i just read the previous replies of this post and I just want to estimate how much behind I am and maybe adjust the volume accordingly

You should not concern yourself with how far behind or ahead of me you are. Focus on where you are now, where you want to go, and how you are going to get there.

But if you must know im 176lbs and 5-11
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikey1995

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:40 pm

NGN wrote:

thank you..
post it as soon as you can because im wasting my time with pullups for all i know..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:00 am

Mikey1995 wrote:
NGN wrote:

thank you..
post it as soon as you can because im wasting my time with pullups for all i know..

If you are doing them with halfway decent form and your numbers are getting better than you def are not wasting your time. I will try and get it posted soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikey1995

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:18 am

NGN wrote:
Mikey1995 wrote:
NGN wrote:

thank you..

If you are doing them with halfway decent form and your numbers are getting better than you def are not wasting your time. I will try and get it posted soon.

no... i am wasting my time.. i've been doing pullups for 2 years and my lats haven't grown a centimeter.. i feel my biceps every time..
im sure im gonna plateau very soon...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Digit

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:06 am

Mikey1995 wrote:
NGN wrote:
Mikey1995 wrote:
NGN wrote:

thank you..

no... i am wasting my time.. i've been doing pullups for 2 years and my lats haven't grown a centimeter.. i feel my biceps every time..
im sure im gonna plateau very soon...

Man hypertrophy it is about genetics and food also not only training !!!
Now i got max 15 pulls i started something bodybuilding like program.

I go to the playground on the monkey bars and do something like this :

4sets x 8 reps Wide Pulls palms facing each other rest 1:30 min
4 sets x 8 reps Close Grip Chins and knees raised 1:30 min
4 sets x 8 reps Body rows palms facing me 1:30 min
4 sets of max false grip chin hold Rest 1 min

next week i add + 2 kgl on my speafishing belt X D

Something similar for dips . My bicep lats chest tri are sore like hell !!!

Am gonna change this in one week. I want to do this for 4 weeks. I dont know if it helps a lot for strenght endurance but it is something different and it is similar to bodybuilding programs. I just tried it and i wasnt sure if it works. Did it only for experimentation OR ELSE if u can do 15 pulls try to give some weight on u mate and start again . More reps doesnt mean u got more strength. U got endurance and this is a bit different from strength.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ray.from.hk

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:01 am

NGN wrote:
ray.from.hk wrote:

You should not concern yourself with how far behind or ahead of me you are. Focus on where you are now, where you want to go, and how you are going to get there.

But if you must know im 176lbs and 5-11

thanks for the info man Wink I am just trying to find out the right volume for my level right now without spending too much time on experimenting through trial and failure by comparing different data. I think I may try increasing my numbers on MU if the current thing I'm trying is not giving me the obvious progression.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Blaming genetics on lack of progress in building muscle is bullshit and just another excuse...if you look for an excuse, you will find one.

Mike is not progressing in building muscle for a reason...yes could be diet, and could be form. Most likely both. From what I have seen in in his videos his form needs a lot of attention. You can build a lot of muscle just using body weight if you pay attention to form. I havent seen a gymnast with puny muscles. In gymnastics form is everything, well nearly so.

I will try and get the video done this week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikey1995

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:57 am

NGN wrote:
Blaming genetics on lack of progress in building muscle is bullshit and just another excuse...if you look for an excuse, you will find one.

Mike is not progressing in building muscle for a reason...yes could be diet, and could be form. Most likely both. From what I have seen in in his videos his form needs a lot of attention. You can build a lot of muscle just using body weight if you pay attention to form. I havent seen a gymnast with puny muscles. In gymnastics form is everything, well nearly so.

ur talking about my videos??
which one lol?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Digit

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:12 am

NGN wrote:

NGN man gymnast got these muscle because of the progression of the exercises. If someone is trying to make a lot of pull ups this doesnt mean for sure muscle hypertrophy. Of course full ROM is much better and i dont know about the bros pull-ups. Strength give hypertrophy and gymnasts progression in more difficult exercises demands more strength and Of Course ''Blaming genetics on lack of progress in building muscle is bullshit and just another excuse'' its true. XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Here's a video on the form I use for blasting the back during pull ups. I use the same technique for chin ups too.
It was shot after my full strength workout plus rope climbs...that was why I was a little out of breath.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikey1995

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:59 pm

NGN wrote:
Here's a video on the form I use for blasting the back during pull ups. I use the same technique for chin ups too.
It was shot after my full strength workout plus rope climbs...that was why I was a little out of breath.

thanks for the video..
whenever i workout either today or tomorro.. i will make sure to film myself as well..
if i feel my lats i wont post the video..
if i dont feel my lats i will post the video and hopefully u can help me out with what i am doing wrong.. (just in case)
thanks again for the vid!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:05 pm

I think the tips about hands as hooks and pushing down with elbows is good, but I have been informed by the experts that the hallowed back position for pull ups is superior to the arched back example I posted ..

Check out the hallowed back video response in the vid section and try that out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm

Im gonna do GTG hallowed back pulls tomorrow and Sat.

Maybe 10 sets of 10-12 to get some practice in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fafaedras

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:40 pm

NGN wrote:
Im gonna do GTG hallowed back pulls tomorrow and Sat.

Maybe 10 sets of 10-12 to get some practice in.

Are your raised shoulders genetic or what?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Raised shoulders? I dont unders tand what youre refering too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fafaedras

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:03 pm

NGN wrote:
Raised shoulders? I dont understand what youre refering too.

Holy chest vascularity. Very Happy I meant that when you stand, your shoulders are raised upwards very much. Like in a constant shrug.

Also, I have a question. Does anyone have the further levels of this program? Because I would want to go beyond 20 for dips.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:15 pm

hmmm, never been asked that question.

ok so I posted the pic because for my level I was thinking the back wasnt lagging...well compared to the pecs everything is lagging but Im not doing that on purpose...the Dips are very effective I guess.
It looks more to me that my arms are puny compared to everything else.

OK, OK...I'll be the last one to admit I am wrong....hehe

I sincerely apologize to everyone here for my childish defensiveness of the video and my personal opinion regarding pull up form.
I went to the park today and did 12 sets of 6 pull ups using the hallow formed back, also rope pull ups and rope rows. Also hit the core with hanging windwills 3 sets of 8 and tuck levers 2 sets of 6

I have to say I felt the pull ups in the back and not in the biceps at all...you guys are totally right. I am wrong...I admit....dang that sucks...hehe

NGN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fafaedras

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:20 pm

NGN wrote:
hmmm, never been asked that question.

ok so I posted the pic because for my level I was thinking the back wasnt lagging...well compared to the pecs everything is lagging but Im not doing that on purpose...the Dips are very effective I guess.
It looks more to me that my arms are puny compared to everything else.

OK, OK...I'll be the last one to admit I am wrong....hehe

I sincerely apologize to everyone here for my childish defensiveness of the video and my personal opinion regarding pull up form.
I went to the park today and did 12 sets of 6 pull ups using the hallow formed back, also rope pull ups and rope rows. Also hit the core with hanging windwills 3 sets of 8 and tuck levers 2 sets of 6

I have to say I felt the pull ups in the back and not in the biceps at all...you guys are totally right. I am wrong...I admit....dang that sucks...hehe

NGN

Weird, I get the best lat work while doing arched back pullups.. Can you post a video of the hollow pullups? I don't even imagine them.

Also - gonna repeat the question - does anyone have the same program but for 20+ reps?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Ironman er Ironloo posted a great program for dips

also for the form for hallow back see the vid section where I posted the pull up video. I dont know why but I do tend to fatigue arms before back doin arched back pull ups. but I havent done any higher rep sets with the hallow/hollow form yet either.
To practice try L-sit pull ups...kinda forces the hallow position...if your core is strong then you should be able to fatigue lats before your core gives.

I will still do both so I can be a Franconnibal!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fafaedras

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:36 pm

NGN wrote:
Ironman er Ironloo posted a great program for dips

also for the form for hallow back see the vid section where I posted the pull up video. I dont know why but I do tend to fatigue arms before back doin arched back pull ups. but I havent done any higher rep sets with the hallow/hollow form yet either.
To practice try L-sit pull ups...kinda forces the hallow position...if your core is strong then you should be able to fatigue lats before your core gives.

I will still do both so I can be a Franconnibal!

Perhaps you could post me a link? Couldn't find it. Checked his started topics, but it wasn't there. Also - is it with weights? Because weights aren't an option for me. (yet)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)   

Back to top Go down

Get to 20 Pull-ups with This Program (Endurance)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next