Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

fed up fat boy needs a routine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bigjohn205

PostSubject: fed up fat boy needs a routine   Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:38 pm

I've been wanting to get into shape for some time now and think calesthenics will be the best plan for me. My stats are as follows...

6'6
260lbs
pushups-about 12
pullups-0
dips(feet on floor)-15

My goals are to drop some fat and build some strength. I have a suspension trainer to use for bodyweight rows until i lose enough weight and gain enough strength for pullups. I've considered getting the chinup maxx resistance bands to maybe do some assisted pullups. Someone point me in the right direction.

P.S. I haven't excercised regularly since highschool 10 yrs ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: fed up fat boy needs a routine   Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:17 am

eat less on what you normally eat, more quality food, and keep exercising. do for 6 months to 1 year and you will see results. for an idea of routines, check training log section.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/fiqqymickey
kossminn

PostSubject: Re: fed up fat boy needs a routine   Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:17 am

Hi and welcome to the forum John. When I read your post I saw myself one year ago in the exact same period. I started in September at 240 lbs and 5’7 height. The numbers were almost like yours:
10 pus-ups
0 dips
0 pull-ups (as a matter of fact I couldn’t dead hang for more than 5 seconds)
Till now I’ve lost 55lbs and 15cm from the waist and I’m planning to lose another 20 lbs. I didn’t kept any diet (except the fact that I eat clean and unprocessed food) because I didn’t wanted to lose the weight very fast and remain with the loose skin. Even without dieting I lost the recommended 1lb/week, which is considered the healthiest way to lose weight (loosing the weight too fast might cause you other problems).
So, long story short, you’ll have to stick with the basics and increase the numbers in pu’s, pulls and dips. Also don’t neglect your core and legs (especially legs), but be careful with your knees (I’ve destroyed mine because of the over-usage along with the overweight). After that, you can start with the more enjoyable part of calisthenics like levers, flags, MU’s etc. You can also do cardio if you like it. I’ve never did, because I stick to the idea that the more muscle you have the more calories you burn, plus the fact that I’ve always hated cardio. I kept the numbers low (up to 5 sets of 5 reps) and if it became too easy I’d change the leverage or the exercise.
There is no shortcut or “secret ingredient” to losing weight, just plain hard work and dedication. To make it more enjoyable you’ll have to view it as a lifestyle. At the beginning I had to motivate myself to start a workout, but now it comes naturally and I even miss it when I’m not able to do it.
Sorry for the long post (I guess I got overexcited when I saw someone just like I was and willing to do what I did) and for any eventual grammar mistakes (I wrote it in a hurry).
Also, if you need help with progressions don’t hesitate to ask.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jono

PostSubject: Re: fed up fat boy needs a routine   Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:55 am

bigjohn205 wrote:
I've been wanting to get into shape for some time now and think calesthenics will be the best plan for me. My stats are as follows...

6'6
260lbs
pushups-about 12
pullups-0
dips(feet on floor)-15

My goals are to drop some fat and build some strength. I have a suspension trainer to use for bodyweight rows until i lose enough weight and gain enough strength for pullups. I've considered getting the chinup maxx resistance bands to maybe do some assisted pullups. Someone point me in the right direction.

P.S. I haven't excercised regularly since highschool 10 yrs ago.

Just keep doing what you're doing! Listen to your body and progress at the a steady rate.

To learn pull-ups, you could try doing max hangs on the pull-up bar (hold the top as long as possible). Use pull-up or chin-up grip! You could also try negatives (get on a chair to get to the top of the bar and then lower yourself from the top as slowly as possible).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/reincarnate100
bigjohn205

PostSubject: Re: fed up fat boy needs a routine   Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:46 am

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking I want to do a upper/lower body split. Some thing like push ups, bodyweight rows and dips 5x5 and maybe some negative pullups twice a week. Squats lunges and wall sits twice a week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lemonhead

PostSubject: Re: fed up fat boy needs a routine   Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Hey welcome, Im new here also but I have been in your exact shape..i was 5 foot 6 at 240lbs when i couldnt do pullups, dips, squats and pushups...a big thing that help me drop i think close to 20lbs like nothing was just cutting soda out of my life. 1lb of fat is approximately 3,500 calories and a healthy weight loss program shouldnt be more than a pound or 2 a week so pace yourself accordingly..it took me roughly 6 months until i dropped down to 140lbs(yes i really did do that i have pictures for proof too lol) BUT i then realized i didnt like being so skinny so when ideployed (im in the USMC) to iraq i lifted a LOT and bulked up to 195lbs and have pretty much been that since then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fed up fat boy needs a routine   

Back to top Go down

fed up fat boy needs a routine
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1