Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

do we really need all this protein?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jayb2012

PostSubject: do we really need all this protein?   Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi all

is it a myth about having all this protein?

because the more protein I eat, the more stomach problem's I have constipation etc.

I eat loads of fruit, fibre, greens.

loads of water.

how many of you just listen to your body, so if I start getting pains in my stomach time to cut down the protein?

Plus I work with builders, who hardly eat, just smoke drink and they are full of muscle.

thanks
jay

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdamZee

PostSubject: Re: do we really need all this protein?   Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:15 am

jayb2012 wrote:
Hi all

because the more protein I eat, the more stomach problem's I have constipation etc.

loads of water.

how many of you just listen to your body, so if I start getting pains in my stomach time to cut down the protein?

Plus I work with builders, who hardly eat, just smoke drink and they are full of muscle.

thanks
jay

Hey there,

I suggest you do some research on this topic as it is a VERY controversial and subjective one. There is a book written by one of the leading nutritional pros out there, Brad Pilon. He has a book titled "How Much Protein". Unfortunately, you'd have to buy it... Unless you can get it off the net somewhere in a pdf format. Razz

http://www.truthaboutprotein.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jono

PostSubject: Re: do we really need all this protein?   Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:45 am

I only eat about 75g of protein per day. I only weigh 150 lb though. I'm not looking to gain muscle though.

In terms of strength, I've been making loads of progress, so this 1g per 1lb bodyweight rule isn't necessary for me I guess
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/reincarnate100
Cvok

PostSubject: Re: do we really need all this protein?   Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:41 am

We really don't need 200+ grams as all the fitness gurus say. Again you can't eat too little that aint good either. I usually eat more than 100grams per day, on average 130-140. it sounds much but really isn't. Few pieces of chicken or meat, some cottage cheese, lentils & barley and you'll get to that mark. I would say that 0.8*bodyweight is how much you really need, not 1 or 2 or even 3 as some say..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emachine

PostSubject: Re: do we really need all this protein?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:06 am

jayb2012 wrote:
Hi all

loads of water.

thanks
jay

well i wouldn't recommend smoking and drinking...I also know construction workers with the same look, however looks and performance are two different things...

If the protein powder isnt sitting well with you then i would try losing it for awhile and seeing how you feel. what do you have to lose other then a possible soar stomach, dont worry despite what the company's want you to think your muscles will not disappear. i dont use supplements, i just eat real food and it works fine for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nguyenquanghung

PostSubject: Re: do we really need all this protein?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:46 am

lol i eat like nearly 50g protein one day.i never have to worry about the protein i take in.why so serious
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: do we really need all this protein?   Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:39 pm

I would like to hear an answer to this question too. From someone qualified to answer.

1. If we really needed to eat this much freakin protein to gain muscle how the hell to inmates get huge and ripped on 3 squares per day? are they allowed to supplement their diets?

2. Think about how we as humans are designed. Omnivorous...lots of plants, fruits, and meat were our sources of sustainance. IF makes sense to me because say 4000 years ago we really didnt have anyway to store food. we woke up, hunted and gathered our food for the day. By the time we had killed the meat and gathered the fruit/veggies/nuts we had been fasting for a good 16-20hrs. So it makes sense to me that a high protein diet with lots of fresh fruit and veggies is healthy but eating nearly 2# of meat doesnt really fit that picture.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emachine

PostSubject: Re: do we really need all this protein?   Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:24 pm

NGNFitness wrote:
I would like to hear an answer to this question too. From someone qualified to answer.

1. If we really needed to eat this much freakin protein to gain muscle how the hell to inmates get huge and ripped on 3 squares per day? are they allowed to supplement their diets?

2. Think about how we as humans are designed. Omnivorous...lots of plants, fruits, and meat were our sources of sustainance. IF makes sense to me because say 4000 years ago we really didnt have anyway to store food. we woke up, hunted and gathered our food for the day. By the time we had killed the meat and gathered the fruit/veggies/nuts we had been fasting for a good 16-20hrs. So it makes sense to me that a high protein diet with lots of fresh fruit and veggies is healthy but eating nearly 2# of meat doesnt really fit that picture.

I definitely agree with you on this one NGN, I only eat wild deer meat I harvest myself and veg, some fruit. When I dont have deer meat I dont eat meat......I am in great shape and have made gains during these times. But again I am no expert, what has worked for me was real food, and real work, supplement free.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: do we really need all this protein?   Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:12 pm

Bar-Nucks wrote:

I definitely agree with you on this one NGN, I only eat wild deer meat I harvest myself and veg, some fruit. When I dont have deer meat I dont eat meat......I am in great shape and have made gains during these times. But again I am no expert, what has worked for me was real food, and real work, supplement free.

I'm definitely not against using supplements but ingesting 200+ grams of protein per day just doesn't seem logical. Say that 200 grams is 80% bio-available, meaning that your body could synthesize 160g of muscle with it. Maybe 50-60% goes toward repair of torn muscle fibers from working out and 40-50% towards building new muscle (or is it a thickening of existing?). That would mean if we could actually use all the protein we are ingesting we could actually gain about 1/2 -3/4 pound of muscle per day. Im including the water weight in the muscle, but it seems that scenario is highly unlikely.
If we can't build 1/2# of new muscle per day, we could even reduce it to 1/4# per day, where does all the protein we eat go? Glucogenisis? That is the conversion of protein to glucose in our liver. Is it just expelled with out use? I would think possibly both.
What is the highest amount of protein to muscle synthesis per day possible in an all natural athlete? and what type of training is ideal for that to happen?

I would GUESS that no more that 1/2# of muscle per week can be added in a natural athlete up to a point where the athlete will reach a genetic potential and make no more gains and will need to train just to maintain. where that point is????

Say we need 50-75g per day for maintinance. 1/2# of muscle is about 55g, ill round up to 70 to keep it simple. divide by 7 = 10g muscle synthesis per day. multiply that by 5 (guessing here) to add for workout repair and we have 50g...
So 50g +( 50 to 75g maintainance) = 100-125g protein intake per day.

Now this brings me to supplements. Specifically Glutamine. It is my thinking that without the use of glutamine an ultra high intake of protein would be more useful because of the the supply of glutamine needed for muscle repair. With the supplementation of exogenous glutamine (20-40g per day) does that free up the rest of our protein intake for repair and growth and thus reduce the need for ultra high protein intakes?

This brings up another? Say my hypothesis is on to something and most of us are ingesting way more protein than is necessary for optimum muscle growth. Does the extra protein hamper fat loss efforts by being converted to glucose in the liver????

hmmmmm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jimsiff

PostSubject: Re: do we really need all this protein?   Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Eating protein in excess of muscle repair and building requirements isn't necessarily a bad thing, but as with anything else, context matters.

Protein is generally the most satiating of macronutrients, helping people feel satisfied and full for longer periods. In addition, the thermic effect of digesting protein makes it relatively inefficient for your body to deal with compared to carbs and fats. All calories are not necessarily equally bioavailable. These factors make a higher protein diet a good option for those looking to lose weight, do a cut, body recomp, or slow bulk... especially if you're getting protein from real food sources rather than processed protein powders, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: do we really need all this protein?   Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:26 pm

jimsiff wrote:
Eating protein in excess of muscle repair and building requirements isn't necessarily a bad thing, but as with anything else, context matters.

Protein is generally the most satiating of macronutrients, helping people feel satisfied and full for longer periods. In addition, the thermic effect of digesting protein makes it relatively inefficient for your body to deal with compared to carbs and fats. All calories are not necessarily equally bioavailable. These factors make a higher protein diet a good option for those looking to lose weight, do a cut, body recomp, or slow bulk... especially if you're getting protein from real food sources rather than processed protein powders, etc.

I agree with everything you said but it's hardly a strong argument for taking in more protein than we actually use.

I'm not a nutrition or physiology expert but wouldnt the extra protein ingested be used for energy before the body switches to burning bodyfat? If that is indeed the case, then it would seem that on a calorie restricted diet for cutting purposes or just staying lean and mean, you could cut out those extra protein grams and burn more bodyfat.

On a calorie restricted diet including exercise protein is still used first for muscle repair and building. It seems like after that the extra protein is wasted as calories (expensive ones too)

food for thought...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: do we really need all this protein?   

Back to top Go down

do we really need all this protein?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1