Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

NGN Training and Diet Log

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Fi

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

I've been cooking with coconut oil - it's so tasty! Not seen butter here - will have to look out for it. The oil is solid at room temperature though (at least in England it is!) which means you can spread it on stuff like sweet potatoes.

I actually made some almond and coconut flour pancakes at the weekend and put the recipe on my blog if you're interested. They were tasty, and pretty calorie dense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:42 pm

question.

Im not a fan of starchy carbs other than white rice. Can I get the majority of my carbs on T-day from fruits?

Thanks for the awesome tips guys!

Last edited by NGNFitness on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : props)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jimsiff

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:48 pm

Coconut butter is sold with the other nut butters here in the States. It can also be called coconut manna. A similar product is creamed coconut, but it doesn't have quite the same creamy texture... usually has more of the coconut pulp grittiness. Here's a couple links to give you a few brands to look for:

My absolute favorite coconut butter... I can eat 1/4 jar in a sitting if I'm not careful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Artisana-100%25-Organic-Coconut-Butter/dp/B000WV153I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344447408&sr=8-2

Another good one...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nutiva-Coconut-Manna-15-425/dp/B003V7XNRQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344447408&sr=8-3

If you can't find coconut butter locally, it can be made from bulk coconut flakes in a decent blender in about 15 minutes. It tastes the same and is much, much cheaper.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jimsiff

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:57 pm

NGNFitness wrote:
question.

Im not a fan of starchy carbs other than white rice. Can I get the majority of my carbs on T-day from fruits?

Thanks for the awesome tips guys!

You can get your carbs from fruit... but you'll be eating a lot of bulk to get the same number of carbs as denser sources like rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. I get most of my carbs from veggies and fruit, but I tend to eat a fairly low carb diet all the time. Your need for carbs largely depends on your personal goals (leaning out vs not, endurance athletics vs not, enhanced recovery from intense workouts, etc).

If you want to get carbs from fruits on T-day, you'll be eating lots of bananas, pineapple, pear, dried fruits, maybe canned fruits and other higher calorie fruit sources.

Personally, I'd tinker with a variety of sources, avoiding canned fruits due to the added sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and general crappiness of processed foods.

Also, consider quinoa as another rice-ish carb source.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:06 pm

I only eat organic meat, fruits, and veggies. All fresh and nothing from a can or jar. The cost of eating a kg of organic chicken and organic grass fed beef is a little high. To keep the costs down a bit Im going to have to limit myself to .5kg of organic meat per day and get the rest from organic free range eggs, org cottage cheese, and the bluebonnet whey protein (from grass fed cattle).

My macros target for protein will be fulfilled with: .5kg organic meat, 4 eggs, 52g whey, 4 ezekiel bread. The fat macros is hit easily with the meat and eggs so I dont need to add any nut butters or oils. T-day carb reqs will be hit with white rice and fruit. I will mix it up a bit so these are not super ridgid but generally how I eat.

R-day will have no rice or fruits and the carb req will be hit with the ezekiel bread and all the extra veggies eaten that day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:11 pm

Oh thanks for those links Jim! That stuff looks amazing, although I might just experiment with making my own. Do I need to keep the blender running for 15 mins? It's not going to explode if I do that?!

And NGN (what's your name btw?) - the thing I would caution about getting all your carbs form fruit is the massive insulin spikes you'll get from all that sugar. I know in most advanced diets (paleo, IF, Renegade etc.) one of the key aims is to keep insulin low and stable, so eating lots of bananas, dried fruit etc. might not be so good. But again I guess it depends what your goals are, and also I'm not sure how often T-day is - if it's once a week probably not so bad, but every other day might be a bit much. As a rule I'd say low GI carbs are best. Personally I mostly eat sweet potatoes. Love 'em Smile
Back to top Go down
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi Fi,

My name is Eiji. Its Japanese.

You are probably right about the carbs, but fruits are so yummy. T-day is a training day and R-day is a rest day. I usually have 4 T-days and 3 R-days per week.
I dont want to be so strict on this diet plan as to hate it so I think Im going to stick to the fruits for most of my carbs on a T-day. I plan on eating them right after training so hopefully they will be utilized for glycogen storage.

I'll keep track of the progression in the mirror so if I dont see a difference and a reduction in my waist measurement I will have to re-evaluate.

Your (Fi's) IF/LG progression looks really nice. you look much leaner in your russian dips video vs your burpees one. Nice!

Here's another good article on the importance of

glutamine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jimsiff

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Fi wrote:
Oh thanks for those links Jim! That stuff looks amazing, although I might just experiment with making my own. Do I need to keep the blender running for 15 mins? It's not going to explode if I do that?!

Here's the recipe I found from an Amazon (US) review of Artisana Coconut Butter:

I bought a few bags of powdered / coconut flakes for about $1.50 , threw it in the blender on pulse for a few min, then on high, then on medium, then when it started getting clumped and creamy I set it to low for about 5-6 minutes. Tastes JUST Like it, same consistency, taste, everything. No oil needed,no milk, no sugar, no heat, not even a food processor. The oils come out naturally from the dried coconut flakes/ powder. The butter came out a bit creamier than that in the can
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:53 am

Another good rest day.

6:30
coffee
5g glutamine
2g arginine
1.5g beta alanine

12:00 Break fast: 1/2# meatloaf, 6 eggs (one in meatloaf and 5 via egg salad sandwiches.) 4 ezekiel bread.
3:00 52g whey protein
7:00 meal: 1/2# meatloaf, vegetable soup (chicken broth, 1/4 onion, garlic, 2 cups spinach, 1 cup broccolli, 1/2 cup mushrooms, sea salt, fresh pepper, cayene) the soup was awesome except it was super hot and spicy which is normally great but coupled with the 80 deg heat was like I was in a sauna. tasted very much like a fresh ramen broth without noodles.

190g protein
1950 cal

calories a bit high but I went for an hour walk so that should make up for it. also did 2 WHS for 60 sec.

Hit my macros targets and Im happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:02 am

NGNFitness wrote:

My name is Eiji. Its Japanese.
日本人ですか。日本語わかりますか。
Back to top Go down
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:18 pm

私は甲府に生まれ、4歳までそこに住んでいた。我々は米国に移ったとき、私はその時から日本語を話すことを拒否した。私は、日本ではすべての子供たちによって外国人と呼ばれているから怖がっていたと思います。私は半分日本人、本当に食品、盆栽、武道などの日本のほとんどのもののようだ。私の母は私が彼女の言語で話し続けるために余儀なくされていて欲しい。
あなたはそこに住んでいたときには、日本で何をしましたか?

英二
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:02 am

T-day. Today I wasnt feeling very energetic. My shoulders have a dull ache at joints. Im doing legs today so hopefully they are good to go tomorrow.

6:30 coffee
5g glutamine
2g arginine
1.5g beta alanine

11:45 xtend BCAA

12:00 training: Went back to the staircase with the 245 steps. 1 brisk walk up for warm up,8 pistols at the top, 2nd time up skipped 1 stair on each step,7 pistols at the top 3rd time up skipped 2 stairs on each step like lunges, I only managed 2 pistols each leg this time. 4th time up full out run up.

1:00 24oz papaya, mango, pineapple smoothie with 10g glutamite and 10g creatine. (I decided to add creatine back into the supplement stack)

2:00 meal 4 egg scramble w/ cheese and veggies, 2 ezekiel bread, strawberries, yogurt.
Fish oil 1 tblsp

2:45 52g whey , 5g glutamine,5g creatine

7:00 meal: hawaiian grilled chicken ( Im addicted to my charcoal grill) rice, grilled veggies, juiced veggies

Totals
2550 Cal
185 g protein

I cant wait for tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:01 am

NGNFitness wrote:
私は甲府に生まれ、4歳までそこに住んでいた。我々は米国に移ったとき、私はその時から日本語を話すことを拒否した。私は、日本ではすべての子供たちによって外国人と呼ばれているから怖がっていたと思います。私は半分日本人、本当に食品、盆栽、武道などの日本のほとんどのもののようだ。私の母は私が彼女の言語で話し続けるために余儀なくされていて欲しい。
あなたはそこに住んでいたときには、日本で何をしましたか?

英二

そうか。火な祭りから一回甲府行ったのだ。二年ぐらい名古屋住んで居た小学校の英語の先生だった。毎晩空手を研修した。日本の世界がなつかしい。特に食べ物!いい国だでも外人やハーフいったらちょっとむずかしいと思う。じゃ今トレニングをする:)
フィオナ
Back to top Go down
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:24 pm

I logged in everything I ate yesterday on myfitnesspal, thanks Fi, and it gave me my totals

Friday T-day.

Total Cal - 2994 (a little high)
Carbs- 295g (i was short here)
Fat - 107 g (over shot here)
Protein - 199 g

11:45 Xtend BCAA with 10g glutamine

12:00 Training: I wasnt feeling super strong here and still had some soreness in my chest from the previous workout. I cut the workout short by about 10 min. and will focus on some good rest this weekend. It was also brutally hot.

Pullups close grip - 10,9,7 the first 2 sets felt very strong and explosive but I seemed to peter out on the last set

Shoulder width pull ups - 6

Chins 4,4

Scapular rolls -10 (dont know what else to call these)
these are the first part of the pullup movements. Starts from a dead hang and I lift up my body as high as I can while arching back and squeezing scapula down and together. All done without bending elbows

Tucked lever - 6,6

Tucked lever holds- 2 for 5 sec each.

Dips 20,15, 13, 8

cool down

16 oz coconut water w/ 10g glutamine, 10g creatine

Later on in the day I took the kids to the park and found a spot to do dips (at the top of a slide) and was able to do a russian dip. It took me a few attempts to get a clean one. Just one but I will be going back to practice that on Monday as part of my workout when Im fresh.

Fi, you rock...much respect on your russians!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:44 pm

NGNFitness wrote:
I logged in everything I ate yesterday on myfitnesspal, thanks Fi, and it gave me my totals
It's a good tool for a week or so (beyond that it gets a bit obsessive, speaking from experience!) Very useful to work out your totals though, and to figure out what your usual meals contain.

Quote :
Fi, you rock...much respect on your russians!
Thanks! I still don't know how I rep'd them like that - tried the other day and didn't feel that strong in them. They compensate for my very poor Japanese, which is basically limited to that used in primary schools, train stations and the dojo Wink
Back to top Go down
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:54 am

R-day

Total Cal 2090

over shot the cals by quite a bit but didnt break the fast till about 3:00 so I got in a good 20hrs. I wasnt really aiming for that but didnt want to break the fast till after I got a swim in and there was massive traffic on the way to the beach. I did get some good swim time in so hopefully Im good on the calories. its the icecream with the kids that did it. I can also lower calories tomorrow.

2 weeks into the LG and I havent found the groove with being consistent on caloric intakes on R-days. T-Days are looking ok, but needless to say I see no difference at all in the gut area.

my waist is 34" a far cry from when it was 29" and I was still 15lbs heavier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:59 am

Sunday R-day
Went for an hour walk in the park before breaking the fast. There was a beautiful hawk perched on a fence. I was able to get about 10 paces away from it being sneaky and only taking a step toward it when it looked directly away from me. I went light on calories today to jumpstart some fat loss and make up for the icecream on Sat. Im not too worried about muscle loss during restricted calorie days. There are plenty of studies showing muscle retention via high protein diet and anaerobic exercise coupled with even severe calorie restriction.

Totals
1,259 kCal
63g carbs
48g fat
146g protein
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:41 am

T-Day

macros totals:

Kcals = 2000
Carbs = 307g
Fat = 43g
Protein = 137g

I know it looks way low but I really did eat a lot today. I dont mind the calorie deficit as long as Im feeling good. I also know that with a calorie deficit my training sessions are going to have to be a little less intense and with lower volume. Once I get the bodyfat to 7% I kick it up.

Trained at the park today ( I usually train at home on a pull up/dip station). Got to the park at 11:00 and it was at least 90.

Dips -15

Russian dips - 2, 3, 4 (I was pleased with these as this was the first time russians were incorporated into my training)

Dips -15

straight bar dips - 6

closegrip pullups 5,5,6,8,5

Tucked F Lever - 30 sec.
Tucked F Lever reps 6

I wanted to do the whole body today and started to do some pistols but didnt have the steam and my quads were not feeling recovered from the previous session.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:55 am

R-Day

Totals
1,481 kCal
83g Carbs
45g Fat
184g protein

Did a nice hour walk around the park and neighborhood before breaking the fast.

I am thinking that since I'm on the cut program for IF/LG, limiting my calories thus limiting my recovery ability, that I will simplify my workouts into a full body workout in an hour or less and then take 2 days rest before training again. I really have a hard time not hitting muscle failure every workout. I just dont know how not to push myself to get as much as I can out of an exercise. Im also having a had time not getting on the bar on a rest day too....jeesh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:27 am

I don't think you should train to failure too often. It pounds your CNS and impedes recovery. There's some good stuff in this seriesthis series about it. Actually that whole blog is excellent.
Back to top Go down
Bevinator

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:39 am

Do what ever works for you man. I used to train to failure all the time and it increased my max's a whole lot. As you're doing; just trial some things and see whats good! Great log though man, keep at it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:44 pm

pflmagic wrote:
Do what ever works for you man. I used to train to failure all the time and it increased my max's a whole lot. As you're doing; just trial some things and see whats good! Great log though man, keep at it!

Thanks pflmagic,

That's just it...I am looking for what is going to work. When I was bodybuilding, going to failure for every workout worked for me and I built alot of muscle. The difference now is that Im not 17 and dont have the same levels of hormones nor the recovery ability. I also only hit each muscle with low volume/high intensity each week.

This time around the training and goals are different. While I would still like to add some muscle to my frame that isnt the only or most important goal. I would like to gain real usable strength and power with endurance. Im training each muscle with higher frequency so I need to get past my programming that "going to muscle failure and beyond is the only way to build muscle and gain strength."

This is a good read on the subject.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:40 pm

I went ahead with a T-day

Totals
2,359 kCal
224 g carbs
92g fat
145g protein

Note: I have increased dosage of glutamine to 30g per day and have completed the one week of 20g per day creatine loading phase, changed the timing a little.

my supplement schedule is:
morning: 5g glutamine, 2 g arginine
pre workout: xtend bcaa, 10g glutamine, 5g creatine, 1.5g beta alanine
post workout: 10g glutamine, 5g creatine with a fruit juice or coconut water

with first meal: 1 tbsp fish oil, 1.5g beta alanine, 2 g arginine

b4 bed: 1.5g beta alanine, 2g arginine, 2g citruline, 5g glutamine

Training:
Went to the park today

FalseGrip pull ups 5,5,5 these were nice and explosive pulling to below my pecs
shoulder width pullups to chest 6,6

Dips 10,10,10
Russian dips 5,4

BW rows chinning grip 10,10

tucked front lever reps 8,8

Pistol squats 8,8,8
sissy squats 10,10

Didnt hit failure today and it felt nice. I still dont feel recovered 100% from my to failure workouts but I think I will be by Friday's session.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:03 am

R-day

Went for a 1.5 hour walk before breaking the fast at 2:00 for an 18hr fast.

Totals
1,832 kCal
92g carbs
75g fat
207g protein

I dont know what's going on but this IF/LG doesnt seem to be working for me as it looks like I am getting less lean every day. The training is going fine and I like the feeling of fasted training but if Im not getting lean wtf is the point!
Anyway I will drop kCal further and aim for 1700/day regardless of training or rest and just adjust the carbs a little higher on a T-day. I will give this a go for 4 weeks and re-evaluate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:35 am

OK so Im freaking out a little bit and just remembered that I just finished a loading phase of creatine...which can cause bloating....hello?

Im going to cut back to 3g per training day and see how I look from there. I was starting to get frustrated especially after my daughter said that my belly was coming back. That's after she said my belly was going away 2 weeks ago!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   

Back to top Go down

NGN Training and Diet Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next