Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

NGN Training and Diet Log

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
NGN

PostSubject: NGN Training and Diet Log   Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:40 am

Name: Eiji
Height: 6-0
Weight: 180 lbs

History: I was a skinny weak shrimp at 14 and 90lbs and decided to change some things about my physique. I devoured all the information I could get my hands on about bodybuilding and nutrition. After a little experimentation with different routines I settled on the Heavy Duty routine from Mike Mentzer. I worked out with weights and also chins and dips with high intensity only hitting each muscle to failure once per week. I slept alot and ate like a horse. I must have been taking in about 3500 cal per day. My parents made me get a job to pay for all the extra food I was eating. Luckily I was hired by the gym I worked out at. Sweet huh? When I graduated HS at 17 I weighed in at 195# at around 7% bodyfat. I was doing sets of 8 chins with 45# and sets of 10 dips with 90#. I did chins and not pull ups because I felt it was the most efficient lat builder. I could squat 385 and deadlift 500 for 1RM.
Thats when I joined the Army. At the infantry school I learned all the extra muscle I had looked good but didnt do much for my endurance as I could barely do 50 pushups in a row and sit ups were weak too. I did finally max my PT test shortly after I arrived at my duty station at Ft Drum .
After fun in the Army I got out after 3 years and havent worked out since. Actually about 2 years ago I started lifting again but that only lasted about 2 months.
The muscle I built as a teen slowly went away and I kept in relatively decent shape as a furniture builder My weight then was a lean 165. I closed my shop last Nov and that is when the gut came and the muscle went.

About a month ago I came across Hannibal videos on youtube and was floored. I want to be a bar-barian brothers and sisters! Ive got a long way to go....

My Diet was crap and I sat on my a$$. Now Im at the bar and on IF/LG diet as of this Sun.

My plan is to get real usable strength and fitness using 99% calisthenics.

Im on the cut program of LG so Im not expecting huge gains while on on the cutting phase of the diet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:13 am

This is my 5th day on IF/LG diet and the 3rd work out. I have felt really good training fasted. It makes total sense to me now. In the Army we always trained before eating. We did our PT at 5:30.

Back to today.

6:00 wake up
stretching, have coffee(black) and chill with my bonsai trees.

10:45 BCAA xtend drink.
warm up (jog in place and a lot of dynamic stretching)
11:00 - 11:45 training

2min rest between sets, 3 min rest between different movements
Pullups (closegrip) 8,8,7
Chinups 7,5
shoulder width pullup static hold at top of head, could only manage 10 seconds.

Dips
w/35# - 8
w/25# - 8
w/15# - 8
bodyweight - 15

Parrallel Bar Push ups (chest and triceps were pretty toast)
8,7 slow getting really low for a good stretch and full ROM.

Full Leg Raise 8,7
hanging L-sit could only get 15 sec.

Broke the fast at 1:00. Its a little later than I would have hoped but I had to go get my kids and make them lunch too.

I did get some carbs in right away though.

Post workout - 32oz of coconut water and a banana. 300 cal

1st meal- 16oz whole organic milk, turkey club on ezekiel bread, 1 avocado, 12 oz fruit smoothie. 900 cal, 55 g of protien

snack - 8oz hamburger w cheese. no bun. 300 cal 30g protein

last meal - 8 oz whole milk, 2 massive bratwerst and 1 ear corn. 800 cal 60 g protein.

Total Calories - 2300
Total protein -145g

Right on target. I know the numbers look pretty weak but Im doin perfect form and full ROM. Pull ups are to the chest with except that last rep on the last sets and full lock outs. Dips I go about 10 deg past 90 and all the way up. None of this halfass partial reps I seen in some weak Youtubes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:46 am

great log. keep it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/fiqqymickey
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:53 pm

Today's workout was delayed since I was stuck at the Ford dealership. That extended the fast to 18 hrs.

6:00 10g glutamine, 2 g arginine, 1.5 g beta alanine

12:45 BCAA pre-workout drink

1:00 stair work out here

There are 245 steps up a nice steep hill. The stairs are broken up into 10-30 steps with ramps connecting them.

1 set up and down bodyweight for warm up
2 sets up and down w/ 35# in my backpack. (I need a vest, that was very uncomfortable on the neck)
1 set running up without the weight...wow nice burn

I got this idea on the way to the stairs. On the way down after the run up I bear walked all the stairs down...brutal on the shoulders and core. It was very intense as the longest flights of stairs were back to back at the bottom. I was pretty proud of myself after completing that and I could barely get my shirt on afterward. I really enjoyed the stair workout and especially the bear walk down...the motivation to make it all the way down vs the motivation in the gym to get those last reps out was much stronger and I think if it was a gym workout I wouldve given up much sooner.

2:00 post workout snack. 1 banana and 16oz of cut canteloupe. 290 cal. 4 g protein.

3:00 meal 1: 5 egg scramble with 2 cups spinach, mushroom, onions, and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. 2 pieces ezekial bread toast.
1 tblsp Fish oil
2g arginine
1.5g beta alanine

735 Cal. 45 g protien

6:00 snack 16oz whole milk
1.5 g beta alanine
2g arginine
5g glutamine

300 cal 16 g protien

7:30 meal 2: grilled chicken satay, leftover brats, 2 organic all beef hotdogs no bun, 2 grilled zucchini, salad
850 cal 70g protein
1 tblsp fish oil
2g arginine

I'll take another 5-10g glutamine b4 bed

Total Cal. 1885
Protein 131g

Calories were a little light today as my BMR calced out to 1825 using the height/weight/age formula or 1920 using the body comp formula. I used 11% to figure my lean body mass. I'm using the first formula as the 11% was just a guess.

I have to really try to get those extra calories in on training days.

Tomorrow is a rest day and my target caloric intake will be around 1500.

I think I like the extra 2 hrs of fast too.

Even with the 2 extra hours of fast I had plenty of energy for the workout...loving the IF/LG
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jimsiff

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:43 am

Nice work so far, man! If you're doing cut rather than recomp, you should really pay attention to liquid calories. If the milk is working for you and you're not overshooting your macros, cool... But liquid calories are generally more bio available than whole food sources. If you find that you're hitting your macros but not losing like you expect, consider using only non-caloric drinks and replacing the calories with whole food before you drop your TDEE. That will help stave off any hunger you'd get if you dropped calories and might budge you towards dropping weight again.

Keep it up!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:38 am

JImsiff,

thanks for the heads up on the milk calories. I dont generally drink milk but Im having a hard time getting my calories up to meet the guidelines without it. If I didnt drink the milk today I wouldve been 600 cal lower. Any ideas or should I just see what it looks like with out the milk?

Anyway Ive got 2 rest days so lite on calories will be fine.

Gnite

Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnchantedBoo

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:58 am

Great log you've got going here NGN. Just a suggestion, but you might want to try bumping up protein intake to between 1g-1.3g / lbs of bodyweight. I've done that myself recently and its really helping with my physique after not seeing very much progress for the last year and a half. YMMV
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks for the tip Boo. My target for protein is 1g/lb of bodyweight but that is harder than is sounds. That is a lot of meat bro and is going to take much effort. Much easier to just slam a few whey shakes to add the grams needed.

I am trying to get all my protein from food but I may have to add the protein shake to bump it up. The problem with whey is it is digested so freakin fast. Im hungry 10 min after.

What do you guys do if you tire of eating meat...God forbid, but we eat a heck of a lot of it and it seem like it could get old after a bit. Sometimes I just wanna slam a pizza.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Well today was supposed to be a rest day....

7:30 2 cups coffee
5g glutamine
2g arginine
1.5 g beta alanine

10:00 tried to burn some calories rearranging the garage. I moved a pile hardwood about 500bft that Im saving for when I get another shop going. I dont know when but a bunch of quilted maple isnt something you can sell on craigslist and my wife wants to be able to park in the garage.

12:00 I know this is supposed to be a rest day but I see a pair of 20# dumbbells and go for a walk with them. I walked to the park about 1/3 mile and set the dumbbells down for about 20 sec ad shake out my hands. Picked them up and returned home doing alternate curls as I walked back home. I hit failure as I reached my front steps. Damn my arms felt like freakin balloons.

12:30 - 12oz coconut water +1 mango = 210 cal

1:30 - meal 1: 3/4lb. hamburger w/bun, tomato, and cheese
1 tblsp fish oil
1.5g beta alanine
5g glutamine
2g arginine
multi vit

800 cal 85g protein

time for a nap

3:00 40g whey protein 160 cal

6:30 meal 2: stir fry pork and beef with veggies, 26 g whey protien
400 cal 60 g protein
1 tbsp fish oil
2 g arginine

Totals

1560 cal
185 g protein

BTW my water intake is at least 1 gallon per day.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnchantedBoo

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:56 am

You're definitely right in that its a lot easier to hit protein reqs through whey rather than solid food. I usually just do my shakes with water too, so that takes care of most of my water intake, though I usually end up having a few glasses more anyway.

Might I ask what your goal is right now body composition wise? It seems like your calorie intake is fluctuating day to day a lot.

Edit: Forgot about the fact that you're on LG. Are you trying to do a recomp rather than a straight bulk or cut?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:14 am

boo,

Yeah I mix with water too. I am looking to attain 6-7% bodyfat and maintain that. I like the look of 5% except in skullish looking faces it produces.

I'm going for BMR +20% on a training day and BMR - 20% on a rest day. That is body recomp. Im thinking I should switch to cut though which would be BMR +10% - T-day and BMR - 30% for a R-day.

So target of 2200 cal on a T-day, and 1500 cal on a R-day. Aiming for 160-180g/day of protein. Im not really doing any meal planning in advance but just cooking up what I think I need at the moment.

If i dont see any results in the mirror after the 4th week of IF/LG Im going to have to adjust.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:30 am

Another partial rest day.

6:00 2 cups coffee
5g glutamine
2g arginine
1.5 g beta alanine

12:30 went for a brisk walk for an hour. there is a nice loop at the local park. Also there was long horizontal tree branch about 6-7" in diameter and 8' up calling my name...I had to try. I jumped up and did a few sets of neutral grip pulls and leg raises.

1:45 breakfast: 20 oz coconut water, 1 mango, 2 cups cottage cheese, 2 eggs, 2 ezekiel bread toast.
1 tbsp fish oil
1.5 g beta alanine
2 g arginine
multi vit

950 cal 75g protein

3:30 snack: 4 eggs hardboiled

280 cal 24g protein

6:30 meal 2: Grilled chicken thigh, 1/2 cup rice, 1.5 cups steamed broccoli. 26 g whey protein
2g arginine
5g glutamine
.75 g beta alanine

650 cal 75g protein

Totals
1880 Cal
174 g protein

I over shot my cal target of 1500 by a bit. Hopefully the walk took care of that. It also looks like an 18 hr fast period is what I'll be aiming for.

I think my psuedo rest days may hamper my Monday workout...I guess I'll see tomorrow. If my arms are feeling it I might take a real rest day tomorrow.
I'm really feeling Thursday's bear walk in my abs, obliques and shoulders.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:58 pm

Sup people?

My biceps are still feelin pretty swollen and ache a little but overall Im feeling pretty powerful so I am going ahead with the training session.

12:00 Xtend BCAA

12:15 Training
2 min rest between sets
Wall HS hold - 50 sec.
Close grip (hands touching) pull ups - 8,8,8
body weight rows with a rope slung from bar - 6,6

Dips - 15,15,13
Barbaric Diamonds 10,10,10,10 These were done at each corner of a brisk walk around the block.

Even though I was able to get 8 pulls on the last set the soreness in my arms and shoulders were definitely the weak links in the work out. A couple of days rest will do me good.

1:00 16 oz smoothie with papaya, mango, pineapple, oj.
10g glutamine
250 cal

2:00 meal 1: 1 cup rice, grilled chicken thigh, pork, tofu, 1 cup broc.
1 tblsp fish oil
1.5g beta alanine
2 g arginine
800 cal, 85 g protein

4:00 snack: fresh juice (carrots, red peppers, cuccumble) , bagel with peanut butter and raw honey.
550 cal 8g protein

7:00 meal 2: Stir fried pork and veggies
600 cal 70g protein.

10g glutamine
2 g arginine
.75g beta alanine

Totals
2200 cal
158g protein

Last edited by NGNFitness on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:57 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added meals and macros)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:15 pm

Interesting reading this, and that you log your food too.

Since you're doing that, you might want to consider using a site like www.myfitnesspal.com on which you can log everything you eat and drink. It will tell you the calorie count, but also the protein, carb and fat content.

I've recently been changing my macros towards a lower carb but higher fat diet and it's really useful to keep an eye on things whilst I learn and get used to what I can eat. That said, I have just eaten a massive bowl of sweet potato after a lousy training session - want to boost my glycogen for a run tomorrow!

Also, WRT to meat... I aim for 130g of protein a day, but normally end up eating more now (find it more satisfying and hunger-curbing than fat). Some ways to keep it interesting (and cheap):

- cottage cheese (which can be mixed with stuff - olives, chilli, herbs etc)
- canned tuna, sardines, other fish (also lots of omega 3's)
- cheaper cuts of meat that can be stewed or slow roasted
- seasonal fish (if you're near the coast)
- eggs (I have them for breakfast every day)

Out of interest, how're you finding 1500cal a day? I very rarely hit that, and it takes a massive amount of willpower to do so!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks Fi, I will check out that website.

Just keeping track of training doesnt make any sense to me. The training part has only about 30% of importance in fitness. So if you have an amazing training program but dont track what you eat and how it affects you, how do you really know what is going on? Am I making gains because Im eating better, more veggies, or was it something I did differently with the training. Better to get the diet buttoned down first, I say.

about the 1500 cal. I actually find it harder to hit the 2200 cal on a T-day versus the 1500 on an R-day. I think I might ad more carbs on T-day to more comfortably hit the high calories.
It is hot here in San Diego so eating less during the day is easy. I do have a hard time with hunger just after I start the fast though. 2-3hrs in and Im really hungry...Im used to snacking at that time though so I dont know if its real hunger or the habit that's giving me trouble. The mornings till I break fast are no problem.

I just re read this LSU study on glutamine supplementation and got a few more tidbits. Looks like taking 10g of glutamine post workout really increases glycogen storage efficiency. Ive adjusted my intake to 5g at wake up 10g post workout and 10g before bed. .3g/kg of bodymass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:42 pm

Oh that is interesting... I stopped taking glutamine as I wasn't really convinced it was doing anything, but if it re-stocks glycogen then that's pretty cool. I would like to stop taking the BCAA and start with glutamine again - BCAAs are expensive and taste gross, plus I eat lots of protein so probably get enough naturally. I do take it if I train fasted, but don't tend to do that very often.

You could try adding more fat to get your cals up. Peanut butter is a good one, and coconut oil and flour. I made awesome pancakes at the weekend out of almond and coconut flour, and I'm pretty sure your wife and kids would love you if you made them for the family! Recipe here.
Back to top Go down
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:00 pm

Fi wrote:
Oh that is interesting... I stopped taking glutamine as I wasn't really convinced it was doing anything, but if it re-stocks glycogen then that's pretty cool. I would like to stop taking the BCAA and start with glutamine again - BCAAs are expensive and taste gross, plus I eat lots of protein so probably get enough naturally. I do take it if I train fasted, but don't tend to do that very often.

You could try adding more fat to get your cals up. Peanut butter is a good one, and coconut oil and flour. I made awesome pancakes at the weekend out of almond and coconut flour, and I'm pretty sure your wife and kids would love you if you made them for the family! Recipe here.

It's hard to be convinced that what youre taking is actually doing something and is worth taking...isn't it? I dont think I couldve worked out at all today if I wasnt taking the glutamine, after the week I put myself through. I overtrain very easily. But Im also taking arginine, beta alanine and fishoil.

Funny thing about LG is that yer supposed to have lean meats/high carbs on T-day (high cal) and higher fat protein/low carbs on R-day(low cal)
I did just slam a bagel with org crunchy PB and raw honey...yum

My wife and daughter are total carb junkies and would protest the almond pancakes. but on the bright side my daughter, 8, is doing GTG with 1 chin up...so cute.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:04 am

Sounds like LG's working out for you. To me the idea of not eating breakfast is very bad indeed. It's basically the thing that gets me out of bed in the morning!

And yes, very difficult to know with the supplements IMO. I'm thinking I'll just taper all of them off, except the joint sups and magnesium/zinc. I only over-train if I train on the bars on too many consecutive days, so now just do an upper/lower body split on each day.

Anyhow, will leave your log for you and not fill it with chat any more Wink
Back to top Go down
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:36 am

We'll have to see if the IF/LG is working. Fi, your chat is welcome here, I dont mind at all. It would be rather boring just lookin at day 1,2,3,4,5.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:44 am

yesterday rest day but did some WHS holds for 60,68,67,66 secs

Total cal 1900
Protein 155 g.

wow. so I have been wondering why it has been so hard for me to hit my protein requirements without going way over my caloric targets....

In my hast to get this IF/LG diet going and getting ripped I miss the step of adding the activity multiplier to my BMR....jeesh.

I have decided to do the LG cut. My BMR=1840 and activity multiplier is 1.4

T-Day Kcal = (1840*1.4) + 10% = 2833

R-Day Kcal = (1840*1.4) - 30% = 1800

Im going to try and hit 180g of protein per day, not really worry about fat intake as I eat pretty lean food all the time, and just adjust carb intake to be able to hit the targets.
I will evaluate this in 2 weeks. Luckily it only took me 9 days to figure out I wasnt doing this right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:26 pm

Ahhhh! I was thinking that 1500 seemed low if you train hard, even on a rest day.
Back to top Go down
jimsiff

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:57 pm

Pulled in quotes from a couple posts...

NGNFitness wrote:

I dont generally drink milk but Im having a hard time getting my calories up to meet the guidelines without it. If I didnt drink the milk today I wouldve been 600 cal lower. Any ideas or should I just see what it looks like with out the milk?

I am trying to get all my protein from food but I may have to add the protein shake to bump it up. The problem with whey is it is digested so freakin fast. Im hungry 10 min after.

What do you guys do if you tire of eating meat...God forbid, but we eat a heck of a lot of it and it seem like it could get old after a bit. Sometimes I just wanna slam a pizza.

You're already on the right track by getting most of your calories from food rather than liquid. I find that canned salmon, canned tuna, and fatty cuts of beef, dark chicken meat (thighs, legs), etc are easier to pound large quantities. Your body is satiated much quicker on lean protein than fatty protein sources... so trying to pound 90% lean ground beef, chicken breasts, lean steaks, etc is much harder than protein sources with a higher fat content. You'll get more bulk and calories in if you eat fattier cuts. Of course, meat quality is a big factor... the fat content in factory farmed meats is way inferior to what comes from wild caught or naturally raised animals.

I don't tire of eating meat... I just get creative. Learning to cook is a huge help in providing taste variety. If you're getting bored with your current foods, try something new. The easiest way I know to get more variety is to buy a crock pot and learn how to use it. You can get some amazing meals with a ton of variety that are simple to cook... it just takes some time. Throw something in the pot in the AM, eat it when you get home. Make enough for leftovers and you have some future meals ready to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Man I wish I had problems pounding the calories! Wink

Over the past few weeks I've been moving towards a low-carb and higher fat diet. Really noticing the difference in leanness, plus feeling less hungry and still have energy to train. Just eat carbs (normally sweet potato) directly after workouts. Pretty much hitting around 75g carbs, 100g fat and 140g protein on average (lower carbs on rest days and more meat).

Oily fish are a good one as well as fatty meats - get some omega 3's, plus they're tasty. Canned sardines are good too. I still have the odd protein shake, especially now that I've figured you can freeze bananas then blend them with 100% whey for a tasty shake!

And totally agree on the crockpot thing. Making huge batches of stuff and eating it through the week makes life easy. And not just stews or whatever, but even oven cooking or BBQing. Buying a couple of packets of chicken thighs for example means you've got meat for a good few days, and you can use them in salads or curries and stuff as well.

If you really want to bump up your calories you could hit the nut butters. I love love love peanut butter. Actually kind of addicted. Nearly eaten a jar since Sunday :S
Back to top Go down
jimsiff

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Great tips Fi...

I second the idea for nut butters to bump up calories. My favorites are almond butter and coconut butter. Coconut butter has an advantage in that a lot of the fats are medium-chain triglycerides which can be directly absorbed and used by cells as food without the typical fat metabolic processes.

A good cheap beef cut to get for crock pots is beef chuck roast. It's fatty, a bit tougher than other cuts, but tastes amazing when slow cooked for hours.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NGN Training and Diet Log   

Back to top Go down

NGN Training and Diet Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next