Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My journey to become a bar-barian (BW and some weights)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BWmartialarts

PostSubject: My journey to become a bar-barian (BW and some weights)   Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:30 pm

Hey guys how's it going? Glad to be part of the community Smile I found this area for logs so i figured i'd give a shot at keeping one. I'd REALLY appreciate any input you guys can give on things i can do to enhance what i'm doing, how to improve at certain things, helping me fill any gaping holes in my training, etc. I do kettle bells and martial arts as well as what i list here, but this will ONLY be for my gym related workouts and my bodyweight work out of the gym as well.

I'm a long time weight lifter, but i'm suffering from a horrible herniated disc and all kinds of awful crap, so after many months of pushing it beyond the limit i should have, the pain is to the point i can no longer comfortably get out of bed. Therefore changes had to be made, hence why i came here Smile My weight work consists primarily of high rep (15 rep) compound movements. The weight is significantly below the weight i'm used to lifting, and things like my legs are patheically behind (squats and deads and rack pulls were the main culprits, i can't do much on anything leg related right now, gotta work back up to it). So without further ado, here's what i've got to start with Very Happy

Short Term Goals:

-1 muscle up
-20 dead hang pull ups (i can do this now but i mean without having to rest or come off the bar)
-45 dips without rest
-5 unassisted pistol squats on each leg
-actually hold a legit handstand (maybe handstand pushups)
-20 hanging leg raises without any rest from the bar

Long Term Goals:

-5 muscle ups without rest
-be able to hold a planche
-1 arm chinup/pullup
-100 burpees without rest in under 10 minutes
-completely get rid of my back pain/injury from affecting my life
-get good enough at sparring to hang with my coaches (this is a seperate goal but fitness will be part of this for me)
-bench my bodyweight 25 times
-squat my bodyweight 20 times

August 2nd, 2012 (Thursday)

-BB Flat Bench: 185 x 15 x 2 (so 2 sets of 15 reps)
-Laying T-bar Rows: 2 plates + 25 pounds x 15 x 2
-BB Squats: 135 x 15 x 2 (ya ya i know, read the top part i posted to know why this is so small)
-BB Incline Bench: 135 x 15 x 2
-BB Bent Over Rows: 135 x 15 x 2
-BB Lunges: 125 x (8 on each leg so 16 total x 2)

-Chinup and Dip Superset (10/20 respectively for first set):

10/20, 9/18, 8/16, 7/14, 6/12

-Wide/Closegrip Chinups and Diamond Pushup (10/20 respectively)

-Hanging Leg/Knee Raises:

2 sets with straps with 10 pounds in my feet for 15 and 12 reps
1 set with just my bodyweight with no straps for 10 reps

I was EXHAUSTED after this, i took for granted how much light weight can hurt if you do it enough reps lol. I was not able to hit every rep of each set of chinups without having to come off of the bar, my goal will be to increase my total reps each week but also to increase how many reps i can get before i have to take a break each set.

I will be working some pistol work in soon as soon as my knee stops hurting (part of why i had to stop the heavy squats) and see how my lower back likes them. Also planning on doing some work to build up my ability to hold myself upsidedown (shoulder work) as well, this is all i could handle today heh.

Hope you guys like the log and as i said i welcome all questions and suggestions to improve!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BWmartialarts

PostSubject: Re: My journey to become a bar-barian (BW and some weights)   Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:23 pm

i know i had a good workout because all yesterday and last night i felt solid as hell, today i feel soft and mushy and look terrible all over (a sign that i pushed my muscles to the limit heh). Today is my one completely off day, tomorrow i will be hitting an intense conditioning class and another day like yesterday Smile can't wait!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BWmartialarts

PostSubject: Re: My journey to become a bar-barian (BW and some weights)   Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:36 pm

Another great day of training, figured i might get some responses by now but no big deal heh. My day started with:

3 minute rounds alternating 30 seconds of 2 cardio movements, so for example 30 seconds punch sprint, 30 seconds uppercut sprint x 3. So the workout was done on the BOB bag and was as follows, with around 90 second breaks inbetween each 3 min chunk:

-30 second punch sprint, 30 second uppercut sprint x 3 (3 mins total)

-30 second power roundhouse, 30 second power teeps (front push kicks) x3 (3 mins total)

-30 seconds elbows, 30 seconds knee strike x 3 (3 mins total)

-3 minutes of two to tens (basically you do 2 punches, then 4 punches, then 6, 8 and 10, then you go back from 10, 8, 6, 4 down to 2, repeat for 3 minutes straight. I did this on the BOB bag so i didn't go for power, just for pure hand speed.

-3 minutes of 5 to 1's for kicks (start with 5 on one side, 5 on the other, 4 on one side 4 on the other, etc down to 1, then you go back from 1 all the way to 5 and repeat for 3 minutes).

50 of each of the following:

-Leg Drops, Full Situps, Russian Twists (50 each side), Pushups and Squat Thrusts (turned about 20 of these into Burpees)

Rested for a while, did some shopping etc, then i went over to the gym:

Standing BB Military Press: 95 pounds x 15 x 2 sets
-BB Curls: 75 pounds x 15 x 2 (need to repeat this same weight)
-Close Grip Bench Press: 160 pounds x 15 x 2

-Arnold Presses: 40 pound DB's x 15 x 2
-EZ Curls: 27 1/2 pounds on each side x 15 x 2
-Skull Crushers: 35 pounds each side x 15 x 2

Then i did the following bodyweight format:

Pullups and Feet Up Pushups:
-

-Horizontal Pullups with Feet on Bench and Normal Pushups:

-Hanging Leg Raises/Knee Raises:

10/10/10 no straps, alternating angles and mixing in knee and straight leg raises

-DB and Smith Machine Shrugs:

90 pounds x 15 x 2 and 225 x 15 x 2 respectively

-Ab Rollouts on Knees:

20/15/10

Quite the exhausting day but i feel great Smile Already seeing an improvement in my pulling movements and the pushups aren't even hard anymore honestly.

Hope i'm doing ok guys, again i welcome any critiques or suggestions you can give, i definitely want to keep improving! Tomorrow will be a gym day just like the first workout i posted on here the other day and karate, should be another good one Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnchantedBoo

PostSubject: Re: My journey to become a bar-barian (BW and some weights)   Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:38 pm

What's up martial, good log you've got going here so far. I'm noticing you don't have a lot of direct lower back or posterior chain work in your routine (aside from maybe the ab rollouts, which are still anterior chain dominant). Is this because of your back injuries? I'm not a doctor or anything, so PLEASE get yourself checked out before you start working lower back and the rest of your posterior chain. If you get the all clear from a doctor, I think starting to work that area would be helpful for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BWmartialarts

PostSubject: Re: My journey to become a bar-barian (BW and some weights)   Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:33 pm

EnchantedBoo wrote:
What's up martial, good log you've got going here so far. I'm noticing you don't have a lot of direct lower back or posterior chain work in your routine (aside from maybe the ab rollouts, which are still anterior chain dominant). Is this because of your back injuries? I'm not a doctor or anything, so PLEASE get yourself checked out before you start working lower back and the rest of your posterior chain. If you get the all clear from a doctor, I think starting to work that area would be helpful for you.

hey thanks for the response. It's actually mostly because i haven't started doing a lot of lower body bodyweight stuff yet is all Smile I'm still adjusting to this type of workout (and it's been brutal as hell so far) so i'm just taking my time is all. Keep in mind though while it's not heavy, i am still doing squats and barbell lunges so i'm hitting the area somewhat. My back injury is probably going to be there in some form forever so it's more about working around it. Probably tuesday i will be starting pistol squats as well, and don't forget that i do kettle bells and conditioning also so i do a LOT of burpees and squat thrusts Smile

Here's today's gym workout, brutal as always:

Sunday August 5th:

August 2nd, 2012 (Thursday)

-BB Flat Bench: 190 x 15 x 2 (so 2 sets of 15 reps)
-Laying T-bar Rows: 2 plates + 30 pounds x 15 x 2
-BB Squats: 140 x 15 x 2 (ya ya i know, read the top part i posted to know why this is so small)
-BB Incline Bench: 145 x 15 x 2
-BB Bent Over Rows: 135 x 15 x 2
-BB Lunges: 135 x (8 on each leg so 16 total x 2)

-Off the Step Calf Raises:

15 reps both feet at the same time
15 reps single legged on each leg.

Cable Crunches:

205lbs for 20/15/10

I actually did the back and leg work in the opposite order for w/e reason today. I already made some good gains (5-10 pounds for the same reps today) in some exercises, and some i was able to do better so i know i can up the weight next time.

As for the bodyweight stuff i kept the numbers the same, and even though i was BRUTALLY sore from yesterday's workouts, i actually managed to get a couple of more reps on my chinning motions before i had to let go of the bar (for example, doing 5 and then having to stop and finish the rest of my set, today i got 6-7 before doing so, etc), so definite progress there Smile

Probably tuesday i will add in some pistol squats assisted and see where it goes from there, all i know is i'm not looking forward to karate later, nor boxing and kettle bells tomorrow night lol, already SUPER sore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EnchantedBoo

PostSubject: Re: My journey to become a bar-barian (BW and some weights)   Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Hey Martial, just to clarify, by posterior chain I meant pretty much every muscle on the backside of your body (rear delts, traps, spinal muscles, hamstrings, glutes, calves etc), not just the lower body, though if you're doing barbell squats and lunges then you're definitely hitting it. I'd also suggest working in hyperextensions or bridge progressions if possible (and once again, if doctor approved). Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BWmartialarts

PostSubject: Re: My journey to become a bar-barian (BW and some weights)   Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:29 am

EnchantedBoo wrote:
Hey Martial, just to clarify, by posterior chain I meant pretty much every muscle on the backside of your body (rear delts, traps, spinal muscles, hamstrings, glutes, calves etc), not just the lower body, though if you're doing barbell squats and lunges then you're definitely hitting it. I'd also suggest working in hyperextensions or bridge progressions if possible (and once again, if doctor approved). Keep up the good work!

i gotcha buddy no worries Wink I was thinking that the horizontal pullups would hit the rear delts at least to a small degree (shoulders in general i'm going to have a hard time with, i'm no where near strong enough to even hold a hand stand, let alone hit handstand pushups or anything similar heh.

I will start doing bodyweight lunges, pistols, and probably hyper extensions soon (assuming the back feels ok during them) enough heh. I'm almost considering not doing kettle bells at all next month because with how sore i feel from the last 2 days, doing them tomorrow is going to be brutal, then right back to the grind in the gym, so if i find it too hard to recover i know the first thing going away ^_^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: My journey to become a bar-barian (BW and some weights)   Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:33 pm

afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BWmartialarts

PostSubject: Re: My journey to become a bar-barian (BW and some weights)   Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:23 pm

beasty boy wrote:
afro

lol ok then.

Today was the same as saturday as far as the gym was concerned:

Standing BB Military Press: 100 pounds x 15 x 2 sets
-BB Curls: 80 pounds x 15 x 2 (need to repeat this same weight)
-Close Grip Bench Press: 165 pounds x 15 x 2

-Arnold Presses: 45 pound DB's x 15 x 2
-EZ Curls: 30 pounds on each side x 15 x 2
-Skull Crushers: 37 1/2 pounds each side x 15 x 2

Then i did the following bodyweight format:

Pullups and Feet Up Pushups:
-

-Horizontal Pullups with Feet on Bench and Normal Pushups:

-Hanging Leg Raises/Knee Raises:

10/10/10 no straps, alternating angles and mixing in knee and straight leg raises

-DB and Smith Machine Shrugs:

90 pounds x 15 x 2 and 225 x 15 x 2 respectively

-Ab Rollouts on Knees:

20/15/10

Got more weight on a few things today, making a note to keep the BB curls and arnold press weight the same for a little while, definitely all i could handle for 15 reps today. As far as bodyweight goes, i was able to get a couple more reps for each set before i had to come off the bar, so making progress there Smile Once i can stay on the bar for each set of pullups/chinups without having to come off at all, then i will work on adding weight/adding harder movements.

I'm thinking about doing some shoulder work at home tonight as well as starting some pistol squats, i'm pretty beat because of kettle bells yesterday (almost all upper body, made today horribly painful and i have to do it again tomorrow too) but we'll see Smile

Definitely making some progress, if anyone has any ideas for things i should be doing (aside from shoulder work on bars which i'm starting soon and pistol squats which i'm starting either tonight or thursday) let me know please!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BWmartialarts

PostSubject: Re: My journey to become a bar-barian (BW and some weights)   Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:33 pm

aaannndddd couldn't wait lol, had to do a bit more tonight ^_^

Did a series of:

5 "forearm pullups" (super close grip overhand i guess that's what they'd be called), 5 assistols (assisted pistols lol) on each leg, 4 forearm pullups, 4 assistols on each leg, 3 and 3, 2 and 2, 1 and 1.

Followed that with what i guess would be some "static shoulder work" (i don't know what i'm doing here lol), i took my iron gym down and put it on the floor. Grabbing the "handles" that i would do pushups on with it if i wanted, i took my body off the floor in a sort of ball and held it there for 10 seconds. Then for 9 seconds, 8, 7 and finally 6 seconds.

Occasionally i would try to push myself up or straighten my body...this proved mostly uneventful as i couldn't do much but it's a start at least lol.

Anyone have some quality stuff i can do to build my shoulders while i attempt to gain the strength to at least do a handstand, and what can i do to work my posterior chain harder? I felt the pistols mostly in my quads and i'm not sure it worked my hamstrings and glutes well enough. I will probably start hitting hyper extensions at the gym if the lower back can handle it, but i'm cool with any tips in the mean time Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BWmartialarts

PostSubject: Re: My journey to become a bar-barian (BW and some weights)   Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:11 pm

Another good one today, i gotta give you bar guys credit..i am absolutely WIPED OUT after this week and i didn't do one tenth of the stuff some of you do lol. Yesterday i did my squat thrusts, so minimal leg stuff today, i couldn't do even one more rep of anything if i wanted to lol:

August 8th 2012

-BB Flat Bench: 195 x 15 x 2 (so 2 sets of 15 reps)
-Laying T-bar Rows: 2 plates + 35 pounds x 15 x 2
-BB Squats: 145 x 15 x 2 (ya ya i know, read the top part i posted to know why this is so small)
-BB Incline Bench: 150 x 15 x 2
-BB Bent Over Rows: 140 x 15 x 2
-BB Lunges: 140 x (8 on each leg so 16 total x 2)

-Off the Step Calf Raises:

15 reps both feet at the same time
15 reps single legged on each leg.

-Ab Rollout On Knees

20/15/10 reps

Got my weight up on everything with free weights and have been able to do more reps on almost all bodyweight movements before i come off the bar. Still can't get the full sets of pullup and chinups before i have to come off though Sad

Next week (in 2 days lol) i will be adding 1 rep to everything bodyweight related for each set, and i will be getting rid of kettle bells (it's too much with all this right now, i need more recovery time) and instead on those nights will be doing pistols, shoulder work and forearm work on the bar at home after boxing and kick boxing Smile

Also getting a lot more serious with my karate training next week as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My journey to become a bar-barian (BW and some weights)   

Back to top Go down

My journey to become a bar-barian (BW and some weights)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1