Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Raw pseudo Vegan diet attempt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Raw pseudo Vegan diet attempt    Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:19 am

I enjoy trying new things, and after learning abit about Frank Medrano, I decided to try going raw vegan for a bit. This means that I will only be consuming raw fruits, some vegetables, raw nuts , raw eggs (not vegan but raw none the less) and olive oil...Keep in mind that I also do a form of IF, fasting for around 16-20 hours, followed by a workout, followed my by meals.

Since this is the first time I'm doing this, here is what I will be consuming per day

30mins after my workout
1 banana
1 raw egg

30 minutes after my previous meal
Smoothie consisting of
100g spinach 
1 pear
1 apple
1 orange
3 bananas
3 raw eggs
3 tbs olive oil
3 strawberries

1 cup almonds and walnuts

3 peaches or Plums a handful of Cherries
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pflmagic

PostSubject: Re: Raw pseudo Vegan diet attempt    Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:02 am

Really interested in this! Keep us updated and make sure you know how much you're getting from what. You don't want to accidentally be under eating far too much and have a bad experience. Keen to see how it turns out.. Just a question, I'm not sure where and what you've posted but what are your stats at the moment and are you aiming to do anything particular? Eg. Put on weight or lose weight etc...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: Raw pseudo Vegan diet attempt    Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:39 am

I'm 6 foot 2, reduced from 88 to 80 using calisthenics...I'm currently trying to lOse the last 10 or do pounds of fat around my stomach area, so I guess you can say I'm cutting. Gonna follow the above schedule for a week, slowly adapting, until I'm comfortable
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Raw pseudo Vegan diet attempt    Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:46 am

Quote :
Since this is the first time I'm doing this, here is what I will be consuming per day

30mins after my workout
1 banana
1 raw egg

30 minutes after my previous meal
Smoothie consisting of
100g spinach
1 pear
1 apple
1 orange
3 bananas
3 raw eggs
3 tbs olive oil
3 strawberries

1 cup almonds and walnuts

3 peaches or Plums a handful of Cherries

I'm pretty certain that that's not enough calories. For example, one egg has 6g of protein, whereas most PWO shakes have around 30g. Really you need about 50g of carbs after a heavy session (or more), a banana doesn't have anything like that.

You need more nuts and fats (add coconut, for example, and things like hemp and chia seeds) and also more vegetables and less fruits (pure fructose).

To get enough protein (say at least 100g a day) you will be needing to eat more protein-rich foods. I would look into stuff like raw milk to help you do that.

If you are dead set on this I would take the time to use something like My Fitness Pal (and some scales) to work out exactly how many calories and the macronutrient split you are getting.

If you want my opinion, I think raw food are silly - the body absorbs nutirents better from many cooked foods (carrots, brocolli just being two), people on raw diets lack nutrients and I don't think they are enough to sustain someone who trains heavily.

But hey this is just my opinion Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Raw pseudo Vegan diet attempt    Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:47 am

3Dip Max wrote:
I'm 6 foot 2, reduced from 88 to 80 using calisthenics...I'm currently trying to lOse the last 10 or do pounds of fat around my stomach area, so I guess you can say I'm cutting. Gonna follow the above schedule for a week, slowly adapting, until I'm comfortable

Also IMO - you are better off sticking to a high-protein low-carb diet to get cut. Like Paleo, for example.
Back to top Go down
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: Raw pseudo Vegan diet attempt    Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks fi, I tried low carb, but I was recovering really really slow from workouts, then I stumbled onto 80/10/10 and I decided to try something like that... 80/10/10 is basically where you decreas your protein and fat ratio to 10% while keeping your carbs at 80%... Right now my protein is around 17% and my fats at around 24% I'm trying to reduce fats while increasing protein ( raw eggs and raw fish) while trying to keep to the basic principles of 80/10/10...you should read up on it, not so as to convert you but its just quite interesting. Also I get the whole concept of high protein, but of you've read CC or the protein myth, teu mention how too much protein is overrated... Anyways, I'm just trying this out for a while to see how it works out, if it doesn't work out, then I guess I'll switch things up :p ... But thanks for your input
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: Raw pseudo Vegan diet attempt    Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:18 am

Also I forgot to mention this, I'm getting in around 2400 calories daily
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Raw pseudo Vegan diet attempt    Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:24 am

3Dip Max wrote:
Also I forgot to mention this, I'm getting in around 2400 calories daily

Oh that's cool Smile

And yeah - I have no doubt that there're other ways - Rick's a vegan and he's ripped to sh*t so obviously you don't need that much protein. Personally I like it though, as it keeps me fuller for longer, and I like fish, meat etc Smile
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Raw pseudo Vegan diet attempt    Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:26 am

Hey you could probably try hemp protein as another protein source? Think it's raw - used to take it before switching to whey. It's not bad.
Back to top Go down
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: Raw pseudo Vegan diet attempt    Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:54 am

Can I please get Ricks link? I would like to get an idea of what other vegans on the forum consume
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: Raw pseudo Vegan diet attempt    Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:01 am

Ok, so it's been almost 2 weeks since I started this, and it was quite an experience...although initially energy levels were a little low, by the end of the first week, I had high energy levels and strength Very Happy One note worthy point for anyone who would like to try this out, if you are feeling sluggish after a week or so, try increasing or decreasing fat macros. Personally I decreased them until I was eating purely fruit, but I've read that some people do better on a slightly higher content of fat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EluVi

PostSubject: Re: Raw pseudo Vegan diet attempt    Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Please, please, please do NOT do the 80/10/10 diet! I have done it before until everything came crashing down..

I mostly did the diet to find something to help with my Irritable Bowel Syndrome. At first, just as your described, I did have problems with my energy levels. But soon everything leveled out. Things were going great for the first few months. I was so euphoric and telling everyone about this diet. Until out of no where, I had excruciating teeth sensitivity on the side of my mouth that I usually chewed on (the right side). I started chewing more on my left side, and the teeth sensitivity spread to this side as well. I then took a good look in the mirror one day and saw HOLES in my teeth! I started freaking out, I've never had cavities in my life. I checked on the leading high fruit raw vegan forum to see if anyone else was having teeth problems. Very few were (I now learned the site is heavily whitewashed and censored) and people suggested to pay more attention your oral hygiene and eat more greens. I started drinking more green smoothies and brushing multiple times a day as well as doing oil pulling. Nothing worked and the holes just kept on getting larger and larger. I started getting really down, because at this point, I could not even chew without being in intense pain. Then I started getting very tired and irritable. I would sleep for 10 hours a night and still be tired in the morning. I could barely workout. The icing on the cake that made me ditch the diet was seeing my hair falling out in clumps. I also lost a lot of muscle tone. All these were signs of a protein deficiency. I was on this diet from Jan of this year, to the end of May.

I felt stupid, so stupid. I knew so much on nutrition and health but I allowed myself to be vulnerable to stick to a diet that harmed me so much. Thankfully, after eating a paleo-esque diet which is what helped my IBS before going raw vegan and increasing my vitamin K2 intake, most of my cavities re-mineralized, but according to my dentist appointment earlier this week, I still have a few but they are on my emerging wisdom teeth that may end up getting pulled out anyways.

If you do want to stick on the raw vegan route, do high fat raw though I would let the monkeys and gorillas stick to the 100% raw vegan diets (surprisingly most are not vegan since they eat grubs and insects from time to time). Also, if you want to hear of a collection of many people who tried the 80/10/10 diet and failed, check out 30bananasadaysucks.com. I have heard of long term success on raw paleo diets with raw eggs, sashimi and other animal products eaten daily. If you're interested in that, check out Denise Minger. She was on the 80/10/10 diet for a year and she got very sick on it. Now, almost 10 years later for the past 8 years she has eaten a high fruit raw paleo diet. She also debunked the China Study. Eat a diet based on science (vegan, vegetarian, paleo etc.) and not on theories. Protein deficiency is real!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: Raw pseudo Vegan diet attempt    Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:37 am

Nahh man, done with raw food, was just trying it out but I missed meat too much...I'm a carnivore, so I'm stickin to steak :p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw pseudo Vegan diet attempt    

Back to top Go down

Raw pseudo Vegan diet attempt
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1