Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Fastest Way to Build Handstand Pushups

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fed X

PostSubject: Fastest Way to Build Handstand Pushups   Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:34 pm

Posted on March 10, 2012 by Coach Sommer

The fastest way to build strength in handstand pushups also happens to be the easiest; simply spend more time in a handstand. Anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes should be appropriate for most athletes. This is total time including both work and rest, although try not to go overboard with rest times.

Free balancing handstands on the rings are the absolute king and will lead to strength increases over an incredible range of exercises. Next is free balancing on either the floor or parallets. Finally for those who are as yet unable to free balance, wall handstands will also give a nice return for the effort involved.

Another tip that will help to increase your HSPU strength is to simply hold some of your handstands in a bent arm position. This is actually quite a bit of fun and helps to break up the monotony.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pulldoggpull

PostSubject: Re: Fastest Way to Build Handstand Pushups   Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:54 am

beasty boy wrote:

Posted on March 10, 2012 by Coach Sommer

The fastest way to build strength in handstand pushups also happens to be the easiest; simply spend more time in a handstand. Anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes should be appropriate for most athletes. This is total time including both work and rest, although try not to go overboard with rest times.

Free balancing handstands on the rings are the absolute king and will lead to strength increases over an incredible range of exercises. Next is free balancing on either the floor or parallets. Finally for those who are as yet unable to free balance, wall handstands will also give a nice return for the effort involved.

Another tip that will help to increase your HSPU strength is to simply hold some of your handstands in a bent arm position. This is actually quite a bit of fun and helps to break up the monotony.

i dnt get it. u mean just spend about 20 minutes in handstand positions + rest during workouts instead of just doing your workout?

like i would do 3x8HSPU in 5 minutes i should just then train normal handstands for a total of another 15?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Fastest Way to Build Handstand Pushups   Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:20 am

Well u maybe want to add ur handstands if u want to learn them fast after ur warm up. At start u can do some free handstands straight arms and bended. Maybe u can start some from tucked planche or frogstance and after when u are tired continue with handstands on the wall and some handstand push ups. When u spend the time u want to ur handstands rest 3-4 mins and continue with ur normal workout Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vibe95

PostSubject: Re: Fastest Way to Build Handstand Pushups   Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:11 am

how did you guys learn a freestanding handstand?
i can kick up into it but i cant seem to balance on it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Fastest Way to Build Handstand Pushups   Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:22 am

I can balance for little my max must be about 8-10 secs. Doing handstands on wall for time help a lot but by being near ur balance spot not just going boom and let the wall have much weight from ur legs.

Also the best way is to try it MANY times.

Some tips: If u are going to fall with ur back then press with ur wrists. Other way is to use shoulders (more like whole body). If u are going to fall where u came from then u can either try bend ur arms or dont press at all with ur wrists.

Hope it helps and it makes sense Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PullUpImpulse

PostSubject: Re: Fastest Way to Build Handstand Pushups   Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:35 pm

beasty boy wrote:
...Free balancing handstands on the rings are the absolute king and will lead to strength increases over an incredible range of exercises. Next is free balancing on either the floor or parallets. Finally for those who are as yet unable to free balance, wall handstands will also give a nice return for the effort involved...

So does that mean that any kind of handstand will help increase strength over a wide range of exercises? Like which exercises?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Fastest Way to Build Handstand Pushups   Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:31 pm

ok so Im relatively new to calisthenics training but I did bodybuilding many years ago. During my bodybuilding years I focused a lot on the mind muscle connection so Im pretty in tune with what my body is doing in any particular movement.

the muscles I feel used primarily when Im doing HS and HSPU are my triceps, front delts, and upper traps.

Im also training pullups with a very close grip (hands touching) and pulling up to chest. This I feel in the Lats, rear delts, traps, and biceps.

The crossover muscle for me here is the Traps where strengthening each exercise will benefit the other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fastest Way to Build Handstand Pushups   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1