Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sosna

PostSubject: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:30 pm

Hey all,
I've been on the forums for a while now but never really posted a training log, so here it is.

First however I'm going give everyone an overview of what my training has been like over the past 5 years.

I started to workout at the age of 16, just because it was a fun thing to do in my spare time and I wanted to be more fit. I mainly ran and did various cardio at this point, However It was not long before I began lifting weights and strived to get more muscular. Just like any other kid my age I knew nothing about real training and did the usual Biceps/Triceps/Chest thing most people do.

All I really cared about was getting bulkier and increasing my bench press, as I thought that was the right thing to do.

Over the next 2 years I went from 130lbs to 155lbs in weight and was very happy with my gains. People noticed that I worked out and I wasn't the skinny guy any more.

From 18 to 19 I had one main goal and that was to Bench Press 100kg/225lbs. This took most of the year but I achieved it quite comfortably. After this I really had no more goals and my physique was pretty much where I wanted it to be at the time.

I almost completely stopped training after I started University and it was about 15 months before I started again.

My weight at 20 was 160lbs and I was much weaker than I was at 19. I then starting doing all 4 Major lifts Bench, Squat, Dead Lift and Clean & Jerk.

I did this from Jan-July 2011 and then discovered LittleBeastm doing his crazy stuff on YouTube.

July 2011 my love for calisthenics was born.

Calisthenics had taken over my life and I had so much more to learn. Training was not only much more fun but I had a whole new catalogue of moves to add to my arsenal.

From here I began participating in the Bar-barian forum challenges and quickly got my first Muscle-up. I was watching videos on YouTube for hours learning everything a could bout this type of training. I purchased Convict Conditioning and Overcoming Gravity, both of which are brilliant books. Overcoming Gravity however seems to be a cut above the rest when I compare it to any other calisthenics books I have read.

My progress in Calisthenics was really hindered when I started suffering from Tendonitis(medial epicondylitis) in both forearms in Febuary. This lasted for over 3 months but now finally seems to be under control.

One year of Calisthenics training is almost over and I am very pleased with what I have achieved thus far. Now at a healthy 175lbs compared to the 130lbs I started on 5 years ago.

Sorry for boring everybody with that information but maybe some people will be interested in reading it Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Over the past 2-3 months I have been focussing on Maximal strength training to get the OAP. I'm quite close to this feat but that training is now on the back-burner until the BBR's are complete.

I have a new burst of motivation to get the requirements and this training log will be focussing on that goal alone.

17/07/12

Mini BBR set before work

3 Muscle-ups
30 dips
15 Pull-ups
30 Push-ups
3 Muscle-ups

Time taken- 3:19
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:36 pm

18/07/12

Mini BBR's again, Video this time:

3 Muscle-ups
30 dips
15 pull-ups
30 push-ups
3 muscle-ups

Time taken- 2:36
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blue hefner

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:10 pm

What did you do to get rid of tendonitis?
I have some kind of irritated elbows, suffering almost 3 months now...
Last month it got way better, I can brush again, do my hair etc.
Now its healing but its stuck at that last 1% of healing, tips?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:41 pm

Ring Strength and Protecting Your Elbows
Posted on May 11, 2012 by Coach Sommer

Elbow discomfort, or even outright pain, when training advanced ring strength elements is completely unnecessary and generally occurs due to one of two training errors:

1) A failure to first establish a solid foundation of basic strength. This is really key; as basic strength builds a solid physical structure from which you may progress onward into more advanced gymnastics strength training components. Many people, not just those with hyper extended elbows, often make the mistake of prematurely focusing on advanced straight arm ring strength elements (crosses, malteses etc.) when they have not yet built an impressive degree of bent-arm strength or press handstand strength. Often the discomfort from prematurely training advanced ring strength elements will naturally begin to alleviate itself as the athlete develops more biceps muscle mass to help protect the elbow from over-extending itself and more shoulder mass to stabilize the shoulder girdle.

As an example, I have an intermediate level athlete who, for that level, is one of the best at performing developmental maltese exercises (we’ll go over them later ). Now he also has one of the best ‘cirques’ on the team. A cirque is a special kind of rope climb where first the athlete climbs to the top of the rope with arms only and then during the descent completely releases one hand, and keeps it extended out to the side, while lowering as slowly as possible with the other arm (in this athlete’s case the negative one-arm chin takes approximately 5 seconds). When that arm is straight, the athlete switches hands and continues the descent in the same manner with the other arm. Essentially a cirque is an arms-only rope climb followed by a series of negative one-arm chins.

As an interesting aside, I have two other more advanced athletes who are even better at cirques, with negative chin cycling times of 8-10 seconds per arm. And yes, their malteses are substantially farther along than the other outstanding cirque performer.

Please note that this is not an invitation for you to enthusiastically begin training cirques without the proper physical preparation. This is a very demanding element and exposure to it prematurely WILL give you a signficant case of elbow tendonitis, the very thing that we are trying to avoid. Approaching training with enthusiasm is excellent; however for enthusiasm to be effective in the long-term, it must be wed to diligence and self-restraint. Always be careful to gradually work your way through the various progressions which I will provide to you.

2) A failure to proceed through the proper ring strength progressions, coupled with the appropriate safeguards. As with all else in the Gymnastic Bodies program, advanced ring strength is something that is gradually and progressively developed.

I constantly hear it asserted that tendonitis of the elbows is unavoidable when training advanced ring strength elements. Nonsense. It is usually due to a failure to lay a proper foundation and then, compounding that mistake, by failing to use proper ring strength progressions.

^nice read^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:46 pm

blue hefner wrote:
What did you do to get rid of tendonitis?
I have some kind of irritated elbows, suffering almost 3 months now...
Last month it got way better, I can brush again, do my hair etc.
Now its healing but its stuck at that last 1% of healing, tips?

Well it seems you have it worse than me, I only felt pain after waking up in the morning and after doing any sort of pulling workouts. Occasionally at work while lifting trays of glasses and plates that aggravated it to (I'm a bar-man).

For the first month I stopped all upper-body training and iced the sore areas whenever possible. I then also massaged the affected area 2-3 times a week.

After the first month I began to do exercises with a green flex-bar
http://www.thera-band.com/store/products.php?ProductID=20

It seemed to be effective for me as I was strengthening my tendons rather than degenerating them. I then slowly started doing pulling movements again increasing reps week by week until now where I'm about 95% healed.

Not sure if it will ever go away but as long as I can keep it a bay that shouldn't matter too much.

Hope that helped Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:08 pm

really good sosna. keep it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/fiqqymickey
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:36 pm

K4lisPeluru wrote:
really good sosna. keep it up.

Thanks man Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Right I may not have been posting but I'm still working out hard so here's an update.

20/07/12

3 max sets of Pull-ups

3 mins rest in between.

My max used to be 26 but since the tendonitis I haven't quite got my reps back yet.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:05 pm

21/07/12

Max sets of Dips

3 mins rest again.

Dips are not too bad but I still want to get 50+ in the next few weeks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:08 pm

22/07/12

Mini BBR's again

3 muscle-ups
30 dips
15 pull-ups
30 push-ups
3 muscle-ups

Time - 2:23
so I shaved 13 secs of my previous time.

Awesome!

Going to slightly increase the reps for next attempt

Maybe something like this:

4 muscle-ups
35 dips
18 pull-ups
35 push-ups
4 muscle-ups

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:11 pm

23/07/12

July Bar-baric mode attempt

Max Muscle-ups in 5 mins

Got 27 (5,5,3,4,5,2,2,1)

I have it videoed but I haven't uploaded it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:24 pm

24/07/12

July Hard-mode Challenge

Max Dips 5 mins.

Got 99 (40,20,10,10,6,6,7)

Probably a very bad tactic for it in hindsight but I'll try it in smaller sets next time.

Videoed it as well but have not uploaded as of yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:40 am

25/07/12

Rest Day

Did 10-20 mins of handstand work focussing on making it as straight as possible.

Can't seem to balance properly with a straight handstand yet, needs a lot more work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:43 am

26/07/12

Did the new Mini BBR's

4 Muscle-ups
35 dips
18 pull-ups
35 push-ups
4 muscle-ups

Video Up later.

Time - 3:46

Last edited by Sosna on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:15 am

hey sosna, how long have u been doing mini BBRs? how has it been improving your endurance?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/fiqqymickey
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:52 pm

K4lisPeluru wrote:
hey sosna, how long have u been doing mini BBRs? how has it been improving your endurance?

I have only been doing them for about 2 weeks so can't really comment too much on my results but I have beaten my previous time each time I have done them.

Now I have upped the reps and I'm going to get my time down again and so on.

Seems to be a good technique to get to BBR's but I'm sure there are many ways.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:48 pm

26/07/12

Mini BBR 2

4 Muscle-ups
35 Dips
18 Pull-ups
35 Push-ups
4 Muscle-ups

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:49 pm

27/07/12

Rest day
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:50 pm

28/07/12

15-20 mins on handstand straightening

Last edited by Sosna on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Bar-barian July Hardmode Challenge

Max dips in 5 mins

101 reps, only 2 more than my previous attempt.

Pretty poor, my endurance seems to be lacking a bit.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:22 pm

31/07/12

Rest day
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:23 pm

01/08/12

Push-up GTG

20 sets of 25 push-ups through-out the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:33 pm

02/08/12

Mini BBR's 2

4 muscle-ups
35 dips
18 pull-ups
35 push-ups
4 muscle-ups

Time - 3:19

3 full front lever max holds - getting about 2-4 sec holds

Max Muscle-ups + 5kg straight legs - 7 reps (For these I'm actually tying my legs together with a belt +5kg)

Max reps Pull-ups - 28 reps, most I've ever done was 26 and that was in Feb before injury.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geronimo

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:07 pm

Good stuff Sosna...i'm gonna have to add those mini bbr in my routine as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History   

Back to top Go down

Sosna's BBR Journey + Training History
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next