Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Tendon (maybe) injury and static holds vs. regular pull-ups etc.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fi

PostSubject: Tendon (maybe) injury and static holds vs. regular pull-ups etc.   Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:33 pm

I've injured my shoulder/deltoid. Have taken a week off to recover (after taking three days off, then finding it still hurt). I think it's something to do with the tendon - I can feel something pulling on my deltoid from under my arm - sounds weird to explain and I'm not quite sure what's going on - just stuff pulling on things that feels quite deep. Wondering if I've slightly pulled away the tendon from the bone or something.

Anyhow, that's kind of the background, my question is this:

I'm going to ease back into full training, and do low-rep sets of pull ups and dips (the things that aggravate it), and not many of them (5 sets of 4 today, which was my first day back).

I was wondering how static holds could potentially affect this injury? Like holding at the top of the bar, head touching and in dead hang. I want to continue to build strength but in a way that would stress my body less.

Since there is less pulling movement involved I am inclined to think that they would be ok, but I'd love to hear what you guys think, because if there's one thing I've realised it's that I know FA about strength training and have a lot to learn Smile

Thanks!

Last edited by Fi on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: Tendon (maybe) injury and static holds vs. regular pull-ups etc.   Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:06 pm

just a quick disclaimer Fi, im not a certified trainer therefore what im about to suggest would be options that you can consider towards your injuries.

the deltoids have 3 parts, if you referring to the ones that works from pullups then it should be the back part. ok, just to relate with my experience - i used to have that part having felt like it was ripped (in a painful way) after i did 50 MUs in a single session the next day (it was something new to me), right after that whenever i tried to do "bar-baric" static holds, it was good at the first 2 position, but when i go to a deadhang, it start to hurts rather than it supposed to be a stretch.

i read ross enamait's "never gymless" and came across something interesting. isometrics = static holds is a great strength building tool. however, the contraction part should last for something like 5-12 secs. anything more than that would result the slow in speed. however i do support 'Convict Conditioning 2' deadhang routines where you could hang up to 60 secs.. but with a ripped back deltoid, i would leave that off for a while.

anyways, the pain lasted for a while and it starts to hurt whenever i do deadhang statics after pullups. so what i did to recover was..

1. stop MUs for a while
2. stop doing static holds with the pullups
3. ice injured area for 10 mins, whenever im free
4. light massage it for few mins, whenever i feel like it
5. i still do pullups, but not as much, probably half the amount of what i usually do
6. prayed a lot for the pain to go away!

for a good week or 2, the pain went away.

hope this helps. oh and of course, if its a sharp pain, go check with your nearest physician. but if it feels like a discomfort kind of pain where its not sharp like you snapped something.. i believe it could still be treated. sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/fiqqymickey
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Tendon (maybe) injury and static holds vs. regular pull-ups etc.   Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:21 pm

Damn sorry to hear that sounds like a strain what grade idk. But whenever injured stay off it completely and remember anything you do that gives a sensation or irritates it will hold you back. I been injured a good 80 days in the beginning i couldn't lift a cup of water or do any push without pain i irritated it and the injury was so bad i thought i needed surgery. Thing to to when injured and to maintain strength is train your legs much harder ans your core much harder,rest,sleep,eat perfect.

Supplements/tips that helped me huge and you might want to look into

super cissus rx
joint vibrance
maca root
eat 1 whole raw ginger daily huge antiinflamitory
eat sunflower butter highest food in vitamin E aids in recovery
Get a huge papaya chop it up for the week whatever protein you eat , have the papaya with your protein
higher the carbs slightly when injured, low carb diets increase chance of injury
drink more water
Get the sardines with bones eat everything,put olive oil on it

I did all that pretty much daily and made a recovery, stretch, continue weightless rom exercises, eventually epsom baths,tiger balm,herbs. Do these daily your chances of healing much faster increase.Goodluck with your recovery.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Tendon (maybe) injury and static holds vs. regular pull-ups etc.   Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I trained very lightly yesterday - see training log post for more details

It went ok - I could feel it slightly under my arm doing pull-ups, and on my biceps doing dips. Wondering if I strained one of the teres (major or minor) muscles which pulls on both ends depending on what I do. Maybe it's two seperate things that are entirely unrelated. Who knows. It's not helped by the fact I use a mouse all day on that side, and an old snowboarding injury on my neck that's flared up a bit. Gonna try and score some physio just in case - at least they will know lots and tell me how I can self-treat.

Thanks for the supplement and food advice Lou. Actually one of the first things I did was get papaya as I remember you mentioning it. Love sardines and other boney oily fish, so that's cool.

Also since I have just weaned myself off peanut butter (addicted = bad) I am looking for an alternative so might make some sunflower seed butter instead.

Do you reckon it's worth getting both Cissus RX and Joint Vibrance? Would other cissus products do? (I normally shop at MyProtein.com). And what about another brand of glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM?

WRT to training I've been killing my legs - running, sprint intervals, burpees and pistol squats. Haven't done much core apart from hollow rocks and some planks as I normally do ab wheel roll-outs and hanging stuff (static L-sits, HLR's etc) and didn't want to use upper body at all.

Did very low rep pull-ups yesterday for the first session back (after a full week off) - 5 sets of 4. Nothing like the volume I was doing (which probably caused the problem). Did 5 sets of 10 bench dips (felt so easy!), again to keep it light.

Gonna go to the park tomorrow and do pretty much the same workout as last time but also do some HLR's and proper dips (5 reps max). If I feel ok I might try a pull-up hold at the top of the bar and see how that goes (interesting tip on the holds Kali - will look into that - still not finished reading CC).

I'll let you know how it goes. And thanks again for your advice - any more suggestions then do add them - like I said I've realised that I have a lot to learn when it comes to strength training (and I'm quite impatient with myself and want to progress quickly!)
Back to top Go down
DuarteP

PostSubject: Re: Tendon (maybe) injury and static holds vs. regular pull-ups etc.   Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:16 pm

I've had a little pain that I think on the same spot by doing deadhangs (read on CC2)
My problem was that i did the grip workout (deadhangs) before reading everything, and I didn't locked my shoulders. When I started to do the workout with the shoulders not completely extended, I never felt the pain anymore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Tendon (maybe) injury and static holds vs. regular pull-ups etc.   Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:20 pm

DuarteP wrote:
I've had a little pain that I think on the same spot by doing deadhangs (read on CC2)
My problem was that i did the grip workout (deadhangs) before reading everything, and I didn't locked my shoulders. When I started to do the workout with the shoulders not completely extended, I never felt the pain anymore.

I'm wondering if it's form related too. When I trained yesterday I really tried to focus on engaging my lats, to make sure they were doing as much work as possible and I wasn't over-compensating by using brachi etc., thus keeping the pressure off them. Need to do more reading about this I think. Also, need to stop using the damn computer all the time!
Back to top Go down
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Tendon (maybe) injury and static holds vs. regular pull-ups etc.   Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:33 pm

Fi def take both if you could, the combination you want as a minimum is glucosamine,chondroitin,MSM, + Hyaluronic Acid to be way more effective and eat that whole ginger root
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Tendon (maybe) injury and static holds vs. regular pull-ups etc.   Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:03 am

Cool - I have some in the fridge right now.

Will look into getting those supps today.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tendon (maybe) injury and static holds vs. regular pull-ups etc.   

Back to top Go down

Tendon (maybe) injury and static holds vs. regular pull-ups etc.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1