Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Help with dips

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mrpullup2

PostSubject: Help with dips   Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:05 pm

Whenever I do dips latley, I get a pressure in my sternum, not pain, just pressure. Either way, it doesnot feel good. Question I can still do pushups with no problems! Very Happy

Anyway, is there any tips, or does anyotne have ideas? Maybe you know what I am doing wrong.... thx in advance
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pomengranate

PostSubject: Re: Help with dips   Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:50 pm

I had a similar problem, i actually felt pain when moving my arms backwards after doing dips. But now i have no problems with my sternum whatsoever, i dont really rememberd how the pain got away, but my suggestion would be to lay off the exercise thats causing you pain for a little while. When the pain goes away do it again, but dont push yourself. I guess your body needs some getting used to the new movement. Stretching might also help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Help with dips   Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:53 am

Happened to me a few times a while ago i think that happens when one arm is stronger and you push more with that arm so the force would gear towards one side of your sternum to cause the pain.That usually goes away quickly and i was always able to train with it, more like a irritation than an injury. If you think you are injured lay off all push, just do some pull/core/legs till you feel recovered might not be worth the risk, i used to ignore all pain, symptoms, injuries and i regret that.So heal up come back stronger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnFischer

PostSubject: Re: Help with dips   Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:44 am

Hello,
I have the same problem and actually did a little research on the internet about it. They reckon it is caused by improper form of dips, and sometimes pull ups.
You should try to squeeze your shoulder blades and keep chest forward. Because the wrong form with shoulder rolled forward puts a lot of strain on your shoulders and sternum
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrpullup2

PostSubject: Re: Help with dips   Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:39 am

Thanks for the replies, and JF, I will try that out as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Help with dips   Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:40 pm

I used to experience similar pressure when I began doing high volume or heavier dip sets... Pressure as well as a sort of cracking or popping sensation to lower sternum... From my experience Ive determined that it means that you are properly using full ROM, becoming stronger or increasing the difficulty in the dips... continue with the dips and once it stops then that means that youve pretty much mastered that phase and you should look for ways to increase difficulty... ie weighted/volume... Just always try and go as high & low as possible use full ROM/form & learn other variations
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vibe95

PostSubject: Re: Help with dips   Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:24 pm

can someone help me out with dips?
ive started to do them but i find that i dnt have the strength to do more than 3 or 4
what should i do to increase my reps?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pulldoggpull

PostSubject: Re: Help with dips   Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:05 am

Vibe95 wrote:
can someone help me out with dips?
ive started to do them but i find that i dnt have the strength to do more than 3 or 4
what should i do to increase my reps?

continue doing sets of 3-4 or sets of 2. just aim at 25 or so dips in your workouts total. ur reps per set will then go up and u can do more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrpullup2

PostSubject: Re: Help with dips   Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:37 am

Found this article on the web, and under "tips and tricks", it mentions that you should keep your lungs full at the bottom. It provides more detail on that in there. Maybe that was my problem? I will try it any way and see..........

2 min later.......
Got to a full set of 16 with no problems. What you guys think?

Btw, i kept in mind the info mentioned on here, particulatry JF's
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Help with dips   Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Sometimes if the grip is too wide I can feel it in my sternum too - that will like in with what JF said about shoulder position...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reppin

PostSubject: Balance   Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:11 am

For a lot of people who aren't used to stabilization work with the pecs (there's honestly not a lot of barbell exercises that simulate this although it's possibly to build up some resistance), the stabilization work can cause the muscles to pull the costal cartilages away from the sternum a bit causing the pain.

He basically needs to avoid significant pain on movements like these and build into it slowly. More or less with lower intensity exercises such as rings pushups at first or things of that nature.

Ripped this off a forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
G@lvo

PostSubject: Re: Help with dips   Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:37 pm

ironloo wrote:
Happened to me a few times a while ago i think that happens when one arm is stronger and you push more with that arm so the force would gear towards one side of your sternum to cause the pain.That usually goes away quickly and i was always able to train with it, more like a irritation than an injury. If you think you are injured lay off all push, just do some pull/core/legs till you feel recovered might not be worth the risk, i used to ignore all pain, symptoms, injuries and i regret that.So heal up come back stronger.

This, and also I had some issues in left elbow.. I made some fat gripz diy with duct tape for a bigger handle, bingo all pain is gone.. best 15 euro spent in my life. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with dips   

Back to top Go down

Help with dips
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1