Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bread and the digestive system

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Triff

PostSubject: Bread and the digestive system   Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:46 am

Hey Guys,

I just want to share some information that i have learnt over the past two years that has changed my life.

I'm only new to this forum and was searching through the nutrition forum for some meal ideas when i decided to write this post. About a year and a half ago i trained with this guy who is not your average personal trainer and he quickly made me realise that i had no idea about food and training.

From what i could gather from the nutrition forum is that most of the diets included bread. Bread in my opinion is one of the most unhealthiest foods you can eat. Breads these days are highly processed full of addicties to make it soft and white. Back in the day traditional bread was so hard that they needed to dip it in water just to chew it. The bread actually acts as a glue in your intestines making it much harder for the minerals and vitamins to be absorbed into your body.

Just to clarify im talking about all breads white, brown, wholemeal, wholegrain whatever they want to call it and market it as its all the same, Its all bad for you!! Now i know some people are going to read this and be like no way! becasue thats how i reacted to it at first. You could imagine how shocked i was when i found out all these foods i grew up eating like bread, pasta, milk, rice (both brown and white) were bad for me.

Now im not just repeating what this trainer told me im speaking from personal experience. I used to be tired all the time i would struggle to get out of bed in the morning and find it difficult to stay awake at work. The difference in energy i have since cutting out the highly processed foods i mentioned was life changing and i would never go back to the way i was eating.

For me i determeine how healthy i am by how well my digestive system is functioning becasue no matter how hard you train you wont be able to progress unless your body is recieving the minerals and vitiamins it needs in order to grow and get stronger. The best way to determine if your digestive system is working well is monitoring your bowel movements (frequency/texture/things like does it have undigested food in it). If your not going to take a poo regulary theres obvisiously something not quite right (constipation is very bad as this can lead to further digestive disorders - leaky gut syndrome). In todays society usually the main cause of poor digestive function is from having an overpopulation of bad bacteria to good bacteria in the gut. I take a course of probiotic once in awhile like inner health plus which i recommend. If you eliminate processed foods, refined sugars and alcohol you can rebalance you gut flora. Once your gut is good to go the vitamins and minerlas from the healthy food that you do eat will get absorbed and used by your body.

Sorry for the long post but before i learnt all this stuff i had no idea and it has made a massive difference in my strength gains and overall physique.

Peace out!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cvok

PostSubject: Re: Bread and the digestive system   Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:45 am

True! I had some problems with tiredness (later I learned it was because of digestion) , started looking for solutions and I found one guy on youtube talking about how food is affecting our whole body. I made some changes, more and more RAW food (veggies,fruit,seeds,nuts) limited my dairy consumption to 200g cottage cheese(cheap protein damn) and 150g probiotic yogurt for flora, threw out everything processed that I ate ( bread,pasta etc) and I was SHOCKED! I had some much energy,I felt great all day long, less stress and depresion. Anyway OUR DIGESTIVE SYSTEM is the most important system in our body. It eliminates the waste and it absorbs all nutrients , so Take care of your digestive system from mouth to a$$ Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdamZee

PostSubject: Re: Bread and the digestive system   Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:26 am

I could not agree more with the points the both of you have mentioned. I was once an overweight - almost - obese person and had a plethora of problems with my digestive system. I was constantly constipated and lethargic every single day. This eventually led to hemorrhoids! YUCKS, I know. cyclops Turned out to be a blessing in disguise. It propelled me to watch everything I ate. As a result, I started having more natural foods. The lesser the ingredients, the better! (How many ingredients are there in a fruit?!) hahah. The only grain I've failed to cut out is oatmeal! That sucker is sticking like glue to me. I love it. To cut a long story short, I have much more energy now ,NO hemorrhoids or constipation and regular bowel movements. I'm also practicing leangains, and to all IF'ers out there, you guys would know how your body feels like during the fast! Full of energy, vigor and a heightened sense of awareness. sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BubbaGumbo

PostSubject: Re: Bread and the digestive system   Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:45 pm

I removed bread from my diet for a few months. Within my own experience--as this can be highly subjective--I found that the absence of bread did not change the way I felt in a physical manner. Pertaining to diet, I tend to believe that anything can be eaten in a healthy way if not used in excess. I've heard "paleo" diets regarding bread, but I still include bread into my diet. What it boils down to is how ones own body reacts. What may feel good to one may be different to another. Experimentation is key.

I wouldn't be able to survive my bulk without bread. Peanut butter & Jelly sandwiches are damn delicious. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thebash

PostSubject: Re: Bread and the digestive system   Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:46 am

Hi guys,

I am completely agree the argument taking carbs from the raw foods. It had been 1 year that, I ve cut to eat carbs who contains artifical sugar and white flour. Results are amazing; I was 115kg but now I m 90kg (height:188cm). I eat more than before but my food choises are always the natural foods. Anyway, I want to ask a question about the organic wholemeal bread and the amount of the raw carbs. Esspecially, after the post workouts during the recovery time, sometimes I feel an energy decline and can t be ready for the other exercise session for an other day. Sometimes I eat organic wholemeal bread to avoid but I confused when I read that topic. If you don t eat a "healthy bread" what is the amount of the daily carb intake before and after exercices( I need spesific info like who many apples, bananas etc). Also, I read an article about the carb intake and in many sources it is recommended that the daily carb intake should be 5gr per 1 k. Carb levels of fruits and veggies are low, we need to eat a lot of them and it is not always possible? Do you have any advise for the amounts of pre and post workout carb intake by eating raw foods?

Thank you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdamZee

PostSubject: Re: Bread and the digestive system   Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:54 am

thebash wrote:
Hi guys,

I am completely agree the argument taking carbs from the raw foods. It had been 1 year that, I ve cut to eat carbs who contains artifical sugar and white flour. Results are amazing; I was 115kg but now I m 90kg (height:188cm). I eat more than before but my food choises are always the natural foods. Anyway, I want to ask a question about the organic wholemeal bread and the amount of the raw carbs. Esspecially, after the post workouts during the recovery time, sometimes I feel an energy decline and can t be ready for the other exercise session for an other day. Sometimes I eat organic wholemeal bread to avoid but I confused when I read that topic. If you don t eat a "healthy bread" what is the amount of the daily carb intake before and after exercices( I need spesific info like who many apples, bananas etc). Also, I read an article about the carb intake and in many sources it is recommended that the daily carb intake should be 5gr per 1 k. Carb levels of fruits and veggies are low, we need to eat a lot of them and it is not always possible? Do you have any advise for the amounts of pre and post workout carb intake by eating raw foods?

Thank you

I think there is no such thing as a "definite" number of fruits you should eat whether its post/pre workout. The quantities are dependent on YOUR bodyweight, lifestyle, activity levels and etc. Go through the forums and find for cues as to how to determine the quantity you should eat. By the way, ever heard of Intermittent Fasting? sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thebash

PostSubject: Re: Bread and the digestive system   Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:42 am

Thanks for the reply. That fasting sounds intresting, I hd google it but how u can recover bu fasting and full your energy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cvok

PostSubject: Re: Bread and the digestive system   Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:43 am

IF is damn good. I'm 17 y old and I do it and I feel GREAT! It's so easy! If you eat 5 meals a day skip first two in the morning and you aready have few more fasting hours Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Bread and the digestive system   Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:54 am

I eat ezekiel bread. It's an organic flourless bread made from sprouted wheat, sprouted millet, sprouted spelt, sprouted barley, sprouted lentils, sprouted soybeans, salt, water, and fresh yeast.

I think this bread is ok and is a great source of protein and low GI carbs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nguyenquanghung

PostSubject: Re: Bread and the digestive system   Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:58 am

i dont know...i dont have anything else to eat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jono

PostSubject: Re: Bread and the digestive system   Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:50 am

I really have to watch what I eat otherwise my acne flares up big time. Any processed foods, refined carbs, or junk in general, make me feel so sluggish.

Right now I'm doing IF and I feel full of energy. I'm even in a caloric deficit some of the time and still getting stronger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/reincarnate100
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Bread and the digestive system   Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:13 pm

nguyenquanghung wrote:

Eat rice then...Im half japanese and grew up eating rice and not bread. You are better off sticking to your ethnic foods....IMO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nguyenquanghung

PostSubject: Re: Bread and the digestive system   Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:11 pm

NGNFitness wrote:
nguyenquanghung wrote:

Eat rice then...Im half japanese and grew up eating rice and not bread. You are better off sticking to your ethnic foods....IMO
lol rice,bread etc...same,not very healthy in here Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Bread and the digestive system   Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:18 pm

nguyenquanghung wrote:
NGNFitness wrote:
nguyenquanghung wrote:

lol rice,bread etc...same,not very healthy in here Neutral

Really???

Rice processing: harvest, hull, cook, eat

Bread processing: harvest, hull, grind, bleach, mix with all kinds of other crap and sugar, bake, then eat

Sorry but right there is a huge difference. Plus many people are sensitive to gluten (wheat protein) and don't even know it and it causes havock in the gi tract. Rice is much easier to digest and is utilized much more efficiently than wheat. A little knowledge never hurts anyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nguyenquanghung

PostSubject: Re: Bread and the digestive system   Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:54 pm

in here the rice is so white and it's not normal..there is a lot of chemical in rice
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bread and the digestive system   

Back to top Go down

Bread and the digestive system
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1