Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The British Thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:46 pm

Back to working out yesterday after 4 weeks off! The forearm feels good and extremely mild low pain. Still taking ibuprofen, using a support, icing for 15 minutes intervals and stretching just to be safe. Got some mad DOMS today feeling sore all over but feels good cheers I actually could do way more pullups for my first set but I didn't want to jump straight back into 15 reps so I did 10, felt like i could do about 17 or 18 though I felt so fresh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Wow, I forgot about this thread.

Been pretty busy the last week or so and haven't done anywhere near as much as I should have. Been stuck at three pull ups for a little while due to this. Although on the plus side, one of my mates wants to get into it so we're going to start heading to a park once a week for a session. Hopefully that'll give me even more motivation.

Went to the best park we could think of the other night and all it had was monkey bars. The outer frame is thick wood though and really, really awkward to grip. Plus the end bars have a weird frame around them for children to reach so there isn't really anywhere for muscle ups. Think we're taking a day out to go round some local parks and try to find somewhere decent in the next week or so, hopefully we come up with something.

I did hear there's a purpose built workout park roughly an hour away, so we might head there once a month for a go, depending on what we find nearer to home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:09 pm

Hey guys!

Glad to have you back after a month off Freddy - that's a long time. I'd have gone crazy (and got fat!) in that time. I injured myself too (shoulder/deltoid) and took a week off. Had my first session back yesterday (training log post) which went ok.

CTurner I hope you find a park nearby... I guess no local colleges have bars? Or schools that you could get into after hours?

BTW I forgot to answer your question about the seminars - I wrote on my blog about them here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks Fi, I was just about to go crazy. I kept my diet up and ate everything as usual so I didn't lose any muscle mass or gain fat. On that fourth week I had to do like 20 pullups every 2 days spaced over the day to groove myself back in and to stop me from going mental! Wink Did you injure your shoulder from HSPU's?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:33 pm

Haha I wish! I can't do them yet (not actually done any HSPU training for a while TBH - might do some over the weekend). I think I just over-did the reps - too many pull-ups, too much training on consecutive days. Feeling ok now, although shoulder/neck/deltoids on that side are quite tight. Think an old snowboarding injury and the fact it's my mouse hand hasn't helped either.
Back to top Go down
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:32 am

Absolutely hated my workout today for some reason :/ Had to drag myself outside to do it and constantly wanted to stop and give in, but made sure I pushed to the end.

Got a question for you guys, since I work better when I have a set routine/goals I decided to type up a plan on the computer and see where that got me. It'll be a long term plan though, with short/mid/long term goals so I'm able to tick things off along the way and see progress.

I went round a few local gyms the other day with my mate, since the weather in the UK is terrible over winter and we decided it would be good to join one with Calisthenics equipment for six months or so to avoid missing sessions for bad weather. In one of them, we got talking to a personal trainer who suggested I should leave skill work until around January so I have a solid six month strength progression until then. Is that wise? Basically, work on pull ups, push ups, dips etc and add weight if needed to keep the progression going, but do no skill work for planche or the like until six months down the line.

I can see what he means, but I don't know if that's the best way to go.

If it helps with your answers, my rough goal is to work on gaining strength and increasing numbers to begin with, and then I really want to learn the planche and the human flag most of all.

Obviously the BB requirements are my main goal, but that's a longgg way off.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:33 pm

The basics are the best, without them how you would struggle bad to be able to planche, muscle up, human flag, etc. Training them will increase your strength and endurance the more you do them which will then unlock the door for your goals in the advanced exercise department.

I think which ever way you decide to do it, believe in it and you can make it happen.

P.s. about to kill myself as I have another 2-3 weeks on the sidelines because of the forearm injury (Tendonitis/ Shin splints in forearm). I hate tennis now, will never play again for 6 months due to this. I took 4-5 weeks off training and came back to my workouts with less volume, was all going perfectly fine with no pain at all for about a week and half. I play tennis last week on the tuesday for 2 hours and the pain from that was unbearable. Might see the doctor for a cortisone injection scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:40 pm

That sucks :/ I'd hate having to take time out. I've had to miss one or two sessions here and there for little niggles and even that annoyed me.

Thought I was going to die in the heat today, was sweating like hell and completely shattered by the end of it but every rep is a step closer to where I want to be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:50 pm

CTurner wrote:
That sucks :/ I'd hate having to take time out. I've had to miss one or two sessions here and there for little niggles and even that annoyed me.

Thought I was going to die in the heat today, was sweating like hell and completely shattered by the end of it but every rep is a step closer to where I want to be.

Working out in the sun is always better I find. I'm gutted I can't work out, would love to considering the rest of the week we are supposed to have good weather.

Everyday on the sideline is another day wasted I feel, in terms of progress and where I wanted to be. Still got roughly 1-2 weeks out, its killing me missing out on so much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:46 am

I never really enjoyed running so have been doing burpees and skipping for cardio, but went for my first run in ages this morning. Got out about 6am and it was the perfect time, it was already starting to warm up but wasn't hot and the streets were dead, might have to go more often.

Gunna be cooped up indoors for most of the day though, gathering info and drafting a letter to the council about getting a park in town.

Must be a real kick in the teeth to be sidelined with this weather like you say :/ I'll be getting out for sessions earlier now so the sun's out but it isn't baking as I really struggle in the heat, end up really sluggish and find it hard to keep the discipline and finish the workout.

EDIT: Just been hunting through the local council website, turns out they've had a plan to regenerate the park in the centre for the last three years, which includes "Adult Exercise Equipment." They've got a picture of the plan on their site and by knowing the layout of the park well and sizes of play areas etc, this new exercise space looks absolutely tiny. I'm planning to contact them and see if I can find out what they propose putting there as they don't list equipment, and also if they know when it will be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:39 pm

I might just do the same to my council, I've been up the park plenty of times and they don't even have monkey bars.. Its crazy because when I was younger the best thing to go on was the monkey bars.

I wish there was an exercise park at mine, I'd be there everyday for an hour or two

At least my back garden pull up bar is in the works now, just need to get some quick drying concrete mix.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:53 pm

I'm not getting too excited about the one in town, the plans were drawn up in 2009 and we still haven't seen half the stuff they wanted to do. I'd much rather have my own set up in the garden, a high bar, parallel bars, monkey bars, some form of climbing frame to freestyle on, a vertical bar/rope to climb etc.

Damn it. If I ever win the lottery I'll buy a half decent house, with a fair bit of land and build myself the best park I can. Then fund some community parks around the country since the Government won't.

S'pose I'd better start buying tickets haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:32 am

Yeah, If I had the money I'd buy some land and build a park and loads of other things on it. Including a go-karting track that would be so much fun haha.

I still live at home, with a garden that is far from the biggest. We used to have a 14ft trampoline that took up 3/4 of the garden to give you a rough estimate of the size. So I'm only allowed a high bar, but thats okay. I can do pullups, muscle ups, bar dips, levers, handstands everything. But if I had more space there would be dip bars haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:10 pm

At least you're allowed a high bar haha, I'm not allowed anything in my garden. Not even if it's portable and easy to take down/hide.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:03 pm

Super excited, when I get paid at the end of this month. Getting a dip station, a weighted vest, maybe some parallettes and rings.

This all to go with my newly homemade pullup bar in my garden!

I'm looking forward to Septembers workout's!

I will get pictures for you lot in September. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:52 pm

Nice work mate.

I'm going to check out all the local gyms over the next month or so, check out the set ups they have for calisthenics and have a look for anyone else doing it too, see if I can hook up with some more guys round here rather than training alone all the time.

Gym will only be for a few months over winter in case the weather is too s**t outside, for some reason training outside just feels so much better to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ch4rl13

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:56 pm

I'm Charlie from Warrington, Cheshire, just joined on here. Have been bouldering for a few years and do various bits of bodyweight training for fun along with some muay thai, although my main sport is ultra running (I run ridiculously long distances that you wouldn't believe) and that takes up most of my free time now. If any body is in the north west or passing by I'd be interested in getting in touch.
I'm not particularly advanced.... able to do a straddle front lever, back lever, human flag, tucked planche, kind of level but would be great to train with someone more advanced to give me a push and vice versa.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.charliesharpe.co.uk
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:16 am

You say you're not that advanced but I'd love to be at your level haha. I'm still working the basics to up my numbers and endurance on pull ups and dips etc, but everyone has to start somewhere and everything is built on a strong foundation.

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near you, but just through talking to people on these forums you'll get a boost, I certainly have anyway.

EDIT: I keep meaning to mention this. I don't know if any of you have heard of a site called Reddit? Basically a website/forum that has pages to do with absolutely anything, the different sections are known as subreddits and there's a bodyweight fitness one with thousands of people using it. The author of "Overcoming Gravity" is on there daily and replies to 99% of posts that he can offer advice on. (He goes by the name eshlow on there.)

Great place to go if you need help.

http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Wow Charlie - to do those strength feats and to be an ultra-marathon runner is pretty f-ing impressive. I assumed that to run that distance you wouldn't want to be carrying a lot of muscle, but I guess you are strong and super-lean.

Not sure I'll be up your way anytime soon, but if you find yourself down South then definitely give us a shout.

Chris - I know Reddit (don't go there regularly - too many moronic trolls!) but thanks for the link - will go and check it out Smile
Back to top Go down
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Just been browsing the BB videos on youtube again. Did the documentary ever happen? Or is it happening?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ch4rl13

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:08 pm

Thanks guys! I have just finished building a set of p bars and things in my back garden. I'll get a photo up soon!
Fi. no I don't really want any extra weight , I've never got to the end of a 100mile run and thought 'hey wish I weighed a bit more' but i'm not 'massive' haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.charliesharpe.co.uk
Jono

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:10 am

Does anyone live in or near Derby/Nottingham? I'd love to meet and train with someone. I see vids of these "teams" etc and it makes me wish I had something like that.

As for limited fitness parks, I have to agree. My park used to be perfect (before I was into fitness, unfortunately), it had everything you'd ever need but they took it down. It had 3 monkey bars and had this / \ shaped frame with horizontal bars going across the top (perfect for muscle-ups). Now the nearest park is a £5 bus journey away.

I doubt the council would build anything for us.

Everyone from UK tell me your youtube account names and I'll subscribe
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/reincarnate100
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:10 am

I'm in a damn good mood today!

Did max tests this morning and have gone from not being able to do a pull up or dip, to doing 11 pull ups, 19 dips and 25 push ups. I could already do 20 push ups when I started, but have been focusing more on pull ups and dips so haven't done much work there.

I'm still progressing nicely, as I've added four pulls ups and four dips to my max since the last test two weeks ago. So I haven't hit a wall yet, but when would people recommend weighted training? I was thinking I should leave it til I hit a sticking point before getting accustomed to it.

And to add to that, I just got offered a two year apprenticeship so I finally have a job! I should get a letter tomorrow with more details but they want me to start Wednesday morning. I'll have to see what hours I'll be working and how much energy I have left at the end of the day then figure out how to schedule my training.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jono

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:16 am

I MAY have found some monkey bars nearby (bike riding distance away). Google Earth is a life-saver lol.

I found my old BMX from my childhood so I may ride down there later (there is a specific bike path leading right to that park. If there are bars there, it'll be perfect.

Seems too good to be true though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/actionformarkettowns/5573894322/

4 years since that picture but on google earth it looks the same so hopefully they didn't get rid of it
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/reincarnate100
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:54 am

Wow, sounds like you guys are both having a good day - awesome news on the job and pull-up front Chris, and fingers crossed that park has bars!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   

Back to top Go down

The British Thread.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next