Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The British Thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:12 am

Fi wrote:
Are you still eating well/enough?

Yeah I am, just work killing me to be honest. I'll get used to it in time, if I give up now then I'll only have to face this stage later.

I haven't started running yet, I need to but I'm shattered enough as it is. I slipped back so far that I'm still splitting my sessions and training six days a week, so maybe when I get back to longer sessions and three days a week I can run on my off days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:05 am

I don't think splitting is a step back - actually it means you're training every day, which is definitely a good thing. Consistency is the most important thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
Jono

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:56 am

I'm not able to get in any real workouts at the moment... (university starting in 9 days).

I've lost quite a bit of progress Sad

Also experiencing "paralysis by analysis" which is not being able to decide what to routines to do when really I should just do something and not overcomplicate it, but I'm doing nothing

A goal in mind is to do 10 strict muscle-ups, which is all about being capable of doing 10 lower-chest pull-ups. So I'm debating whether to throw out regular pull-ups completely and only ever do high ones from now on. But then I worry that my regular pulls endurance will suffer. I can't decide lol

And endurance work seems to negatively affect my static hold progressions (strength) towards front lever, back lever and planche, all of which I'd rather be able to do than say do more dips or regular pulls

With all of the above on my mind, I haven't done anything in 2 weeks...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/reincarnate100
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:18 am

How about choosing something and focussing on it for a month, then re-asssing where you are and changing your routine?

Also, do you split dynamic stuff and holds on different days? That might help your recovery and progress on both.
Back to top Go down
Jono

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:40 am

statics, I usually do them at the end of workouts, but in a greasing-the-groove fashion (not fatiguing myself). I follow the gymnasticbodies' methodology:

Find max hold of a certain progression: e.g. 20s tuck FL
halve that time: 10s
do as many sets of this halved time so that you do a total of 60s of work: in this case, 6 sets of 10s is required.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/reincarnate100
wyard

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:08 pm

Hey i came down to primrose hill earlier and had a look around it looks pretty hardcore!

Were u there around 3.30ish Fi there was a female there in a blue sports bra....wondering if that was you judging by the profile pic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
naishyboy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Fi wrote:
How about choosing something and focussing on it for a month, then re-asssing where you are and changing your routine?

Also, do you split dynamic stuff and holds on different days? That might help your recovery and progress on both.

Im doing this at the moment Fi, hurt my knee so quite limited with what i can do lower body wise. By breaking it up into pushing/pulling...dynamic/static, this means i can put more training days in without overtraining.

Anyone train at Primrose morning time weekdays?? i'll be back in London soon and up there regularly.

Ry
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fitnesswins.net
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:27 pm

wyard wrote:
Hey i came down to primrose hill earlier and had a look around it looks pretty hardcore!

Were u there around 3.30ish Fi there was a female there in a blue sports bra....wondering if that was you judging by the profile pic

YES! Damn you should've come and said hello! Where was I? Spent half the time doing muscle up practise and the rest messing around with the guys. What were you wearing? I saw some guy come - quite tall, tanned, shirt and shorts - and look for a while, but quite a few people do that, and quite a few people just stare at us all because there are so many of us. Actually they probably think it's some big gay convention Wink
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:31 pm

naishyboy wrote:
By breaking it up into pushing/pulling...dynamic/static, this means i can put more training days in without overtraining.

Exactly why I do it. I was doing bar stuff every other day, but wanted to get back up to two days on one day off, so have taken this approach. Just go for two light-ish days but hit different things.

I do think it's important we take moves at this relatively early stage to avoid f-ing ourselves up... After seeing BB's Lee and Miguel both with tendonitus, it makes me really aware of how important it is to moderate training.

Quote :
Anyone train at Primrose morning time weekdays?? i'll be back in London soon and up there regularly.

I don't - normally go in the evenings. I'm sure someone will be there though. You'll get to know the regulars pretty quickly - I know some of the non-BB crowd now, and some of the trainers. It's a really friendly place.
Back to top Go down
naishyboy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:37 pm

yeah the injury thing is definitely an issue, i was a paratrooper for 8 years and the last couple of years my body seems to be falling apart from all the past abuse! Biggest challenge for me is to put in more recovery and restoration and not just smash it constantly.

thing is, i see some youtube vids...get all excited, train like i used to and end up knackering myself. Was out in Santa Monica recently where that profile pic was taken, got all carried away and pulled my bicep really bad...i'll never learn!
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Ahh I wondered where that pic was taken! Nice place to train.

I think as a girl I have some genetic advantage which makes me less likely to completely kill myself Wink But moderation is definitely important. For a while I did 100 rep workouts - like 100 pull-ups in a session in sets of 5 - very achievable but it really catches up with you. Damaged a tendon or something and had to rest for 2 weeks, which taught me the lesson.

Anyhow, IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT by the BB's Smile
Back to top Go down
naishyboy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:44 pm

Fi wrote:
Ahh I wondered where that pic was taken! Nice place to train.

I think as a girl I have some genetic advantage which makes me less likely to completely kill myself Wink But moderation is definitely important. For a while I did 100 rep workouts - like 100 pull-ups in a session in sets of 5 - very achievable but it really catches up with you. Damaged a tendon or something and had to rest for 2 weeks, which taught me the lesson.

Anyhow, IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT by the BB's Smile

That looks awesome! need to sort out leave from work and get across to that for sure!
Back to top Go down
wyard

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:57 pm

haha you were by the pull up bars. i was in a red tshirt and shorts!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:21 pm

wyard wrote:
haha you were by the pull up bars. i was in a red tshirt and shorts!

Ahh, I was probably mid muscle-up attempt - standing round looking a bit dazed Smile Probably being given some coaching by one of the boys! Next time come and say hi - everyone's really friendly.
Back to top Go down
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:05 am

Hmm, I need to wait and see what money's like cos I haven't actually had a full pay packet from my new job yet, but I might be able to get up to the Manchester weekend. I'm hoping to anyway, but I have a few bits to pay out for still.

Why can't life just be free dammit!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Just went out to do my pull up sets, did 3, 4, 3, 3, max.

Without even trying my first three sets naturally turned into explosive pull ups instead of standard. I was getting my chin well over the bar, didn't quite get my chest to touch but then I wasn't fully committing to them. I'd been feeling a little down about it after slacking off but this is a major confidence boost.

Tempted to try a proper explosive set sometime.

I ended up doing 3, 4, 3, 3, 8 which is pretty good. If I can do 8 as my max on my fifth set, I'm excited to see what my standard max will be come Monday.

Still going to follow the progressions properly though as doing it this way is helping my form a lot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:10 pm

Nice to see everyone getting stronger and progressing, I'm up to 17 pullups max right but started at 0 in February. Cannot wait to hit 20 will be super happy.

I'm extremely happy about my handstand statics and pushups, the balance I seem to have is great. My front lever is currently at one-legged front levers from 5-15 seconds depending

I need to get myself down to primrose if I get the time, want to meet some peeps
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Very nice Freddy! And yes - you need to come down before the end of summer! Do you reckon you'll make it to Manchester btw?

And nice one Chris on the 8 pull-up max! That's really awesome for your fifth set Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:28 am

Still got Wednesday and Friday to do Fi, then got my max test Monday so I could make it back to my old stats pretty quickly. Most I ever made was eleven and I'm pulling with much better form now too.

I can't wait to get to Primrose and show off my awesomely mediocre skills haha. But in all seriousness I can't wait to get there and meet you lot, get some tips and push my training to the next level. Still reckon it'll be next year though but I might be at twenty pull ups then, if I keep going the way I am I might even be at twenty five which I'll be stoked about!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:15 pm

4 freestanding handstand pushups (pb), 1 more til goal cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdonisPhysique

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:55 pm

Evening all.. All be it very late evening.

Returning from an absence of calisthenics.
Ought not take long before I become once more acquainted with the Bar.

Pistols returning at good pace.. over 15 each
Pushups(Chest to Floor) need a little work... 55 in 60seconds
Pullups(Palms away) currently at 18..
Weighted Dips(BW 98kg) 40kg x5
Weighted MuscleUps 10kg x3
Handstand work .. Soon to be Implemented.

Pullup program soon to be incorporated, suggestions welcomed.

A
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://twitter.com/AdonisPhysique
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:32 am

Some pretty beastly figures there!

What sort of pull up routine are you after? If it's an endurance one, check out 50pullups.com. Both myself and Fi have had decent results from that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AdonisPhysique

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:06 am

haha.. why thank you!
Strength comes Natural, I find.

Pullups, Pistols and Pressups have increased once more.
Dips actually increased to BW+ 45kg x5 just last week.
75kg is the goal weight.. then to simply work on repetitions.

Free Handstands - Static Holds - Gymnastic Movements
Next port of call to be incorporated within my Arsenal.

Appreciate the program.. very well structured.
Most certainly a program ii shall utilise.

A
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://twitter.com/AdonisPhysique
Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Haven't posted for a while, still banging out the workouts.

Triceps are developing quite nicely, got bigger and stronger. (bigger to point people asking which gym I go to, haha)

Pullup numbers have stalled and even some days struggling for 12 reps even though I used to be able to do 15 no problem then bang out 2 more reps for my max.

Maybe something to do with me putting on muscle mass so more weight? I'll keep at the reps on my pullups til I hit 30+

Thinking I should do some heavy low reps sets for strength thoughts?

Can hold one-legged front lever for at least 10 seconds on each leg, cannot straddle lever yet though. On course for a full front lever by my birthday though I reckon.

Muscle-ups form is getting better, I assume my reps to go up for 4-5 to like 8-9 soon.

Handstand pushups and statics are great, possibly the most fun calisthenics/gymnastic type movement to do. Can still hit 4-5 handstand pushups on a good day and feeling strong, developing the triceps has deffinately helped. Balance on statics is crazy good, never though I'd be able to hold for 30 seconds+

Last but not least, started tucked planche pushups on pushup handles.

Also I'm 3 months in to my electrical apprentice and it is tiring me out big time, think my workouts are feeling it.

Last months life story over. haha lol!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:37 am

Great progress! You must be really pleased with all that. On course for epic awesomeness by next summer.

I agree with your heavy low-rep sets for strength thing. In fact next time I'm at the gym I'm gonna take in an old backpack and load it with 10kg of plates and do pull-ups and dips. I think I might try and do weighted stuff once or twice a week, and aim to get to a set of 5 pull ups and 5 dips (although I have done a set of 9 before with a 10kg weighted vest, so might have to start on 15kg or something), then just keep upping the weight to keep at that number.

Are you coming to Manchester btw? Can't remember.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   

Back to top Go down

The British Thread.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next