Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The British Thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
CTurner

PostSubject: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:10 am

Welcome to The British Thread!

This isn't so much a team thread, as a country thread. I've seen a lot of UK based members floating around but haven't had a chance to speak to a lot of you. So this is a place for UK members to come and chat, ask advice, arrange meets etc. I know I'm still new to the forum and Calisthenics in general, but I'd love to progress and meet up with some of you in the future, I'm sure a lot of you would be the same.

(I know a thread like this already exists, but it was little different and looks like it died out. Also, I have nothing against the other nations on here, I'm just interested to see who else is here from the UK.)

Anyway. May as well get it started.

I'm from a little town called Diss in Norfolk, about 20 miles from Norwich. We've got a few gyms, and a lot of my mates are addicted to weight training but I was never into that. I always wanted to get fit but could never find the motivation, then I found the Bar-Barian videos on youtube and was amazed by the power and control they have over their bodies.

I decided I wanted to give it a try and see where it took me. After stopping and starting for a while, I've really gotten hooked over the last few weeks. When I started I was nowhere near being able to do a pull up, and now I can do one, all be it not with the best form. I may be really new and in the shallow end, but I'm on my way Smile

So how about you guys? Where are you from, how did you get started etc?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:35 am

Yo man, Good idea and interesting that im pretty much in the same situation. Just starting out.. found interest from youtube vids and trying to progress my own abilities through challenges, workouts, and methods from this board.

should deffo arrange a day or weekend of messing about and group tips/training.. because i could benifit loads from advice..

although nothings gonna beat simply 'get stronger' as the best advice I've ever recieved lo. Was from a really helpful friend at my martial arts classes Rolling Eyes (Yes I know that thanks lol)

Yeah anyway.. name Phil, 28, total beginner and in birmingham.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:43 am

I'm Fi. Live in London. Been training bar calisthenics since about February, and before that I've been doing martial arts, a bit of running and yoga. Used to live in Japan training karate every day but am having a bit of a break before foucssing on training for my nidan (also, if I'm honest, after several years out there you realise how shite the dojos are here haha).

How I got into calisthenics is kind of embarrassing... One of my new years goals was "6 weeks to supplement-free abs" and as part of that I spent time looking at the best non-crunches (they suck) whole body exercises to do. At the same time a friend said his goal is to do a planche, and I ended up just looking at how you'd go about training for that, just out of curiosity.

Both of those roads led to calisthenics, and in mid-February when I was happy with my hawt abs (yeah I know it's vain Wink ) I switched to doing all my strength training with pull ups, chin ups, push ups and dips, and doing pistol squats for lower body. Also am trying to run 5km in 20 minutes, so that pretty much nailed the cardio.

Came across something that Jay has posted on YouTube and sent him a message asking a question. Can't remember what it was about how, but he said to add him on Facebook, which I did, and then found out about the whole Bar-barians crew. Waited a few months till I could do halfway decent pull ups etc. then went to meet the guys up at Primrose. I like the fact that everyone is positive and inclusive (agree totally with what Miguel said here), and also the massive emphasis put on form rather than brute strength and silly flashy moves.

Am into healthy eating too (used to be a professional chef and love my food!). Found myself following a mostly paleo-style low carb diet. Loving the low-carb bit because it means I can eat loads of nuts and peanut butter and still stay lean Wink

Mostly train in the gym as I hate hate hate the cold, but now that it's finally stopped raining I intend to get out to local parks (Kennington, Wandsworth and Clapham) much more.

Edit - Also, I have a blog where I write about training, nutrition and general health/mental attitude things if you are interested: http://gaininja.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited by Phin on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:44 am

FlikstRR wrote:

although nothings gonna beat simply 'get stronger' as the best advice I've ever recieved lo. Was from a really helpful friend at my martial arts classes Rolling Eyes (Yes I know that thanks lol)

"Repetition is the mother of skill" is the best piece of advice I ever received. I think about it almost every day.
Back to top Go down
Tim

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:20 am

Phin wrote:
now that it's finally stopped raining

It never stops raining! Just gets a bit lighter... Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:28 am

I suddenly feel quite young at 20 Razz

I'm a little pissed off this morning. I split up with my girlfriend on wednesday after 3 years, which put me in quite a foul mood so I pushed myself pretty hard in my workout that day, once I finished I had a niggling pain in my left forearm. It felt okay this morning so I decided I'd workout as usual, got 3 sets of jackknife pulls done, then my arm gave way on my first set of push ups and that was it :/

I've stopped at that for today, going to rest it over the weekend and hopefuly it'll be okay by monday. If not then I'll just keep resting, I hate missing a session but I'd rather that than injure myself further.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:53 am

Phin wrote:
Used to live in Japan training karate every day but am having a bit of a break before foucssing on training for my nidan (also, if I'm honest, after several years out there you realise how shite the dojos are here haha).
WOW.. rather jealous. I have a mild obsession with japanese culture.. from martial arts to cars and the architecture. I work for a company called Driftworks in Birmingham, ac ompany birthed from a japanese motorsport called drifting. Smile

Phin wrote:
Both of those roads led to calisthenics, and in mid-February when I was happy with my hawt abs (yeah I know it's vain Wink ) I switched to doing all my strength training with pull ups, chin ups, push ups and dips, and doing pistol squats for lower body. Also am trying to run 5km in 20 minutes, so that pretty much nailed the cardio.

Ok 2 things:
1.. wheres that abs guide, clearly it worked for you haha
2.. 5km in 20mins!!! holy sh!t thats awesome.. I got a personal best of 5k in 33mins20secs this morning (inc 5min warmup/cooldown walk) and nearly died!

Phin wrote:
Waited a few months till I could do halfway decent pull ups etc. then went to meet the guys up at Primrose.
This is my plan also.. be able to do the bar-barian requirements before i even show my face to other enthusiasts.. which will be serveral months i recon at the very very least. Pesonal pullup best is like 16-19 with crap ROM.

Phin wrote:
Edit - Also, I have a blog where I write about training, nutrition and general health/mental attitude things if your interesed
Bookmarked Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:01 am

FlikstRR wrote:

This is my plan also.. be able to do the bar-barian requirements before i even show my face to other enthusiasts.. which will be serveral months i recon at the very very least. Pesonal pullup best is like 16-19 with crap ROM.

The BBR is a very hard thing... to set that as your goal before you show yourself is a crazy Shocked . Very few people on here have even done it at that!

The sooner you meet up with others the sooner you get to benefit from their wisdom and help. Even if it's just things like posting videos as people here can point out where you can improve your form and technique and ways to do it as well as give you motivation and encouragement etc.

It's understandable as Phin did, to make sure you can do a few reasonable pull-ups/dips etc but the full BBR is madness jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:08 am

Gotta aim high right? lol

Yeah i understand what you mean though and i wil be posting videos etc for definite once i have some confidence im not horrid lol. I was looking at trying the June challenge with the pushups I saw (normal mode i think u guys call it) and see how i get on just as a benchmark / starting point to when i joined this board and hopefully in a years time i can look back and giggle.. and then again a year on from that etc.

right now i can barely pullup properly... even the IDEA of a single muscle up attempt makes me actually break down in tears lol.

Hell diamond pushups are scary to me lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:15 am

Tim wrote:

The BBR is a very hard thing... to set that as your goal before you show yourself is a crazy Shocked . Very few people on here have even done it at that!

This! ^^^

Bear in mind there are only three UKBB's - Jay, Lee and Sai (and one more who will be one pretty soon I suspect) - all of whom have been training for years.
Back to top Go down
Tim

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:20 am

FlikstRR wrote:
Gotta aim high right? lol
There's aiming high and there's shooting for the moon Wink Long term goal it's fine, but I wouldn't worry about doing it before seeing anyone! Having the right attitude is far more important!

Quote :
right now i can barely pullup properly... even the IDEA of a single muscle up attempt makes me actually break down in tears lol.
See, getting that first muscle up can be so much easier when you're meeting up with people as they can show you the right technique and ways to get there.

At the first kettering event we saw several people get their first muscle up, being able to get 1-1 tuition/advice makes a big difference Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:22 am

CTurner wrote:
I'm a little pissed off this morning. I split up with my girlfriend on wednesday after 3 years, which put me in quite a foul mood so I pushed myself pretty hard in my workout that day, once I finished I had a niggling pain in my left forearm. It felt okay this morning so I decided I'd workout as usual, got 3 sets of jackknife pulls done, then my arm gave way on my first set of push ups and that was it :/
Ah I'm sorry to hear that, on both counts. Pushing yourself in training is totally understandable though. And look on the bright side - being single will give you loads of time to train Wink Maybe rest for the weekend and see how it goes next week.

FlikstRR wrote:

Ok 2 things:
1.. wheres that abs guide, clearly it worked for you haha
2.. 5km in 20mins!!! holy sh!t thats awesome.. I got a personal best of 5k in 33mins20secs this morning (inc 5min warmup/cooldown walk) and nearly died!

1. Hah! Funnily enough someone else asked me about them today and I said I should write a blog post as so many people ask... Maybe I'll do that soon.
2. I can't actually do it yet! Did a few session with a running club, but then the rains started and I cut back on the running. Got down to about 23 (on a treadmill) so not too bad, but it is a stupid goal. Going to take some real effort to nail it!

FlikstRR wrote:

I was looking at trying the June challenge with the pushups I saw (normal mode i think u guys call it) and see how i get on just as a benchmark / starting point to when i joined this board and hopefully in a years time i can look back and giggle.. and then again a year on from that etc.

Yeah that was my first forum challenge attempt (video). It's actually a really nice routine and easy to integrate into a session. Need to do another attempt, but been resting for the weekend seminar (hence the fact I am messing around on the internet today!).
Back to top Go down
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:42 am

Speaking of rain, I was working out in bright sunshine this morning, and now I'm surrounded by a bloody thunderstorm. It still amazes me how quickly the weather can change over here.

Tim wrote:
The sooner you meet up with others the sooner you get to benefit from their wisdom and help.

I really want to meet up with some of you to get advice, but I think I'm a little way off. I can just about do one pull up but with fairly poor form (reverted back to negatives and rows for now) but I'd like to be able to do five decent form pull ups at least before I meet up with anyone. Just doing a few sets of negatives, push ups, rows and planks wears me out pretty quickly at the moment, I'd spend ten minutes working then just sit and watch the rest of you cos I'll be dead.

However, as soon as I nail five and I have a bit more stamina, I'll be out and about. Although it's a couple of hours by train to London where I'll most likely be able to meet people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:27 am

Try adding some static holds to your routines - say 5 secs at the top, 5 secs with your arms at 90 degrees and 5 secs in deadhang. Increase the time as you get stronger. It's really helped me build up strength.
Back to top Go down
Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:55 am

What Phin said about static holds is true, they build your strength and you also feel it the next morning! Haha.

I haven't trained this week Sad got a few niggles one in the forearm, lower back and chest. I train hard so i can understand why my body is hurting so much. Lower back is getting better and I'll restart training Monday if everything feels good. Its been 7 days and I don't know what to do with myself Rolling Eyes

Edit; I'm really up for a London meeting sometime in July/August!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:25 am

Tim wrote:
There's aiming high and there's shooting for the moon Wink Long term goal it's fine, but I wouldn't worry about doing it before seeing anyone! Having the right attitude is far more important!
Yeah thats certainly a long term goal haha.. im not jaded to that fact its gonna take dedication and serious time and effort.. and certainly I'll have mini goals before then. Things like challenges.. pushup/pull up rep max's, improving general form.. 90% is improvingmy strength though. I dont even lift weights atm, all martial arts.

But like CTurner said, I also think im just below that level where I'd be confident to turn up at beginenr level.. but maybe im wrong and just need to man-up and get to an event lol..

Tim wrote:
See, getting that first muscle up can be so much easier when you're meeting up with people as they can show you the right technique and ways to get there.

At the first kettering event we saw several people get their first muscle up, being able to get 1-1 tuition/advice makes a big difference Wink

Well maybe that will be good idea for me.. get strength training and doing workouts and then go to a meet and get people to teach me MU or the progressions to a MU if im still not strong enough by then.

phin wrote:
1. Hah! Funnily enough someone else asked me about them today and I said I should write a blog post as so many people ask... Maybe I'll do that soon.
2. I can't actually do it yet! Did a few session with a running club, but then the rains started and I cut back on the running. Got down to about 23 (on a treadmill) so not too bad, but it is a stupid goal. Going to take some real effort to nail it!
defintely get that workout you followed up.. I have a deadline in 4 weeks (July 14th) to reach 170lb but with some 'definition'.. Its a bet with a mate and im doing ok on the actual weight.. im at 171lb this morning after my run. But im worried most of that is water weight, not fat as ive still got a belly and a half! Sad

oh and 23mins is still jaw-droppingly awesome to me.. almost bang on 10mins faster than me.. so thats basicly me skipping my warmup/cooldown and going right into it.. (mine was also on treadmill.. 10km/h speed at running and at 3degree incline). I was beyond dead when i stopped.. stomach tight etc so cetainly pushing myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:06 pm

FlikstRR wrote:

defintely get that workout you followed up.. I have a deadline in 4 weeks (July 14th) to reach 170lb but with some 'definition'.. Its a bet with a mate and im doing ok on the actual weight.. im at 171lb this morning after my run. But im worried most of that is water weight, not fat as ive still got a belly and a half! Sad

oh and 23mins is still jaw-droppingly awesome to me.. almost bang on 10mins faster than me.. so thats basicly me skipping my warmup/cooldown and going right into it.. (mine was also on treadmill.. 10km/h speed at running and at 3degree incline). I was beyond dead when i stopped.. stomach tight etc so cetainly pushing myself.

OK. That's totally do-able. Might do it tonight actually, instead of the work I should be doing Wink

With the running I did a lot of interval training at incline. Have a look at the bottom of
this post. It hurts, but I definitely made good progress doing them.
Back to top Go down
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:47 am

Are you guys at the seminar today? Looking forward to a decent video/write up of it Smile

Edit: I'm doing Jackknife Pulls at the moment but even with those I struggle to get my chest to the bar. I barely get my chin over, is there a certain technique to getting better ROM or is it just on strength?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:55 am

Due to the lack of fitness parks in the UK, do you reckon I could write to my council and ask them to consider building one at my near park if I have good and valid reasons? Would this be pointless and a waste of time? Is this the right way of going about it? ( I am currently building my own pullup bar, but I'd love to be able to just go down to the park to workout). I want a fitness park near me!! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:02 pm

Freddy wrote:
Due to the lack of fitness parks in the UK, do you reckon I could write to my council and ask them to consider building one at my near park if I have good and valid reasons? Would this be pointless and a waste of time? Is this the right way of going about it? ( I am currently building my own pullup bar, but I'd love to be able to just go down to the park to workout). I want a fitness park near me!! Wink

I've been thinking the same thing! Literally 200m down the road from me we have a big area of grass, with a couple of ponds people fish in. It's known locally as the "Green." There used to be a set of swings and a roundabout but they were taken down and now it's just grass. A small workout park wouldn't even take up a tenth of it, but it's whether the council would think it'd get enough use I suppose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Phin wrote:
OK. That's totally do-able. Might do it tonight actually, instead of the work I should be doing Wink

With the running I did a lot of interval training at incline. Have a look at the bottom of this post It hurts, but I definitely made good progress doing them.
Glad your confident that its possible because im not haha... but i have all the tools and motivation.. if you can supply the training, ill give it a shot.

As for the running.. i run/jog at 10k on my treadmill at 3deg constant so the thought of a cool down at 11km/h made me laugh. Im not even sure i can run at 15km/h lol!

CTurner wrote:
Are you guys at the seminar today? Looking forward to a decent video/write up of it Smile

Edit: I'm doing Jackknife Pulls at the moment but even with those I struggle to get my chest to the bar. I barely get my chin over, is there a certain technique to getting better ROM or is it just on strength?

Most are at the seminar yeah, I wussed out for a few reasons but went to martial arts classes and signed up to pay additional fees giving me access to their strength and conditioning area which has dip stations, bars, rings and more. I took some photos and will put it in my log.

The jackknife is a progression im working on too just as a form thing and to target certain areas of muscle as i find i 'swing' if i try chin ups or pull ups without meaning to. Its hard to really understand what you mean with 'chin over' what angle are you leaning at etc? I tend to use rings rather than a bar and just pull myself up till I've used my natural range of motion up.. and further up would feel odd.. on the rings this is about when my shoulderblades touch near my spine.. meaning my grip is 'almost' at my chest.

Did that make sense? Bare in mind im an utter beginner and probably doing it wrong anyway haha. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:11 pm

FlikstRR wrote:
Did that make sense? Bare in mind im an utter beginner and probably doing it wrong anyway haha. Rolling Eyes

Haha, it sort of did. But I don't fully understand full ROM anyway because it varies greatly depending on who you talk to. I only ask because I hear 99% of people saying that if you want to progress onto muscle ups, it's best to do pull ups getting your chest to the bar to make the transition easier. Since muscle ups are one of my main goals, I figure I should try and learn that form as early as possible.

The wind is ridiculous here at the moment, I'm hoping the weather clears up by Monday when I'm back to training. I'm one of those shy people that keeps their top on cos all their mates are ripped but they aren't, but it was lush training in the garden with my top off when we had that brief heatwave earlier in the year. Maybe weather like that will motivate me to work harder and not be shy so I don't waste the sun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:50 pm

hahah theres NO WAY im ever taking my top off.. ever.. I'm still trying to progress to vests/ T-bar tops or whatever they are called lol..

confidence is not my strong point and im rocking the spare tyre still atm. lol Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:54 pm

Haha. My new years resolution for like the last four years has been to get in shape for the summer and actually enjoy myself. Don't get me wrong, hitting the beach with mates is always fun but I always feel awkward being the out of shape one when everyone's running round with six packs etc.

Well, I'm finally getting there so summer 2013 is going to be my summer Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:35 am

Hey Phin, how was the seminar?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   

Back to top Go down

The British Thread.