Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:56 am

OK so.. I'll try not to bore you with another massive personal story and history BUT i will give you the general overview..

Name: Phil Maclachlan
Sex: male
Height: 5"11

History: Im a web designer and i spend all day at a desk. I moved from down south UK to a new job here in birmingham Jan 2011. I used to do Muay thai/kickboxing back with my freinds, i didn't know anyone up here and with motorsport taking over for a year i basically did no exercise.

I balloned up to a (personal fattest ever) weight of 211.4lb (15.1st / 95.9kg) and decided enough was enough when i couldnt fit into one of my old suit trousers. I hated my appearance and decided a drastic change was needed.

Jan 9th after all holidays done i started a homework out routine on a xtrainer and basic body stuff like pushups/situps/crunches etc combined with watching what i ate.

Feb 9th I had dropped to 196.2lb (88.9kg) and was happy i was at least seeing 'some' progress but didnt know if it was good for 1 month and certainly wasnt drastic enough for me to be happy so I 'manned' up and joined a local martial arts gym doing Muay thai again and started looking at MMA.

March 20th I hit my first goal of 185lb! (13.2st /83.8kg). I believe tracking my weight and setting this goal helped push me though.

After that i slowed a little.. hitting 180lb on April 25th and then 175lb on May 19th which Kind of brings me to now...

I currently weigh 173lb (12.3st / 78.4kg) Go me! Very Happy , i think my lowest for several years in fact but i still have a belly and i still want to lose more.. so far ive lost 38lbs~ which i feel is good progress.

Next aim is 170lb and then 165lb.. at which point im then going to focus on muscle bulking.. as at 165lb im gonna look fairly rakish!

Aims of this log: I want to get involved with bar-work.. i love the videos, i love the moves and i love the idea of having a decent upper body, something I have never had in my life. Ever. I like the idea of community within bars and as i have two mates also starting out an into it i could have my own 'crew' within bar-barians.

Personal Targets:
- Weigh 165lb by july 14th 2012 (for a bet with a mate)
- drop bodyfat %, gain muscle tone and strength
- build self confidence through workout improvements and help
- be able to perform advances bar techniques as seen in videos
- get stron enough to put a routine together no matter how short
- healthier lifestyle
- combine barwork with my martial arts, not replace it
- meet new people and learn cool tricks!

Current Diet: Lean gains-ish
7am: CLA / omega 3 / multi vit tabs with water
cardio workout with bcaa drink
10.30am: Protein shake (1 scoop + 250ml water)
1pm: Chicken salad either homemade or from subway sometimes / sometimes grilled chicken or salmon or white fish with broccoli no carbs with salads, sweet potato/brown rice or pasta with rest
3.30pm: Handful almonds / sultanas
evening martial arts training
7.30/8.30: protein shake (basicly soon as im home from training)
8pm-ish/9pm-ish: white fish / chicken / salmon with spinach broccoli etc.. sometimes with eggs.. no carbs

It's lean gains-ish but im rubbish with macros and the 10.30am protein shakes a mild cheat but apparently helps keep motabolysm firing? No idea really, so much conflicting info?

Training Setup
in the mornings:
- Running 3 x a week (mon/wed/fri) - distance and decent pace (not HIIT atm as im training for a 5k race in september too.)
- Basic weights / bodyweight circuit 2 x a week (tues/thurs)

Then in evenings:
monday: 1hr muay thai & 1hr MMA
Tuesday: 1hr nogi BJJ
Wednesday: 1hr traditional BJJ
Thurday: 1hr muay thai & 1hr Strength and conditioning
Friday: evening off OR 1hr Traditional BJJ seeing how i feel

Saturday: 1hr striking 10.30am
Sunday: Rest

There you have it.. Me in one big-a$$ forum post. Ive only just upped my training to this much in the last week or two.. So we shall see how it goes! Previously I just did mondays and thursdays with a striking on a saturday. the BJJ is all new Smile

- Comments, changes, tips, guides all wanted and welcome.
- I'm going to put in a bodyweight training session in the AM's two days a week and cardio 3 mornings a week untill i reach weight goal.. then cut back onm the cardio, but what that routine is i have no idea.. THATS partly why im here! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Digit

PostSubject: Re: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Good luck mate and don't give up XD !!!
Start doing the basics 3 times a week .
Pull Ups Dips Push Ups to gain some strength .
Write down your progress in the Log Session and check the forum for some routines. Also Tim made a Beginners thread and it is very usefull !!!
http://bar-barians.forumotions.net/t3230-bar-barian-beginners

Give some numbers of your reps in the bodyweight exercises and the dudes here will help you .
Detication is the key !!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm a beginner myself, but what the guy said above will really help. Just start training the basics for now. Start off with 3x a week and work your way up to more sessions per week as you get stronger.

Also, from personal experience, focusing on hard working out and martial arts training is pretty hard, but it can be done. Make sure you plan your workout times wisely!

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:37 am

cheers guys.

I'm currently trying to figure out whats the best 'workout' i can do 3x a week. at home i dont have access to a bar so its all floorwork.. I do however have 'perfect.pushup' handles i just bought after watching matin's pushup video..

so im thinking of building a workout around them..
pushup sets..
Lsit attempts,
anything else suggested to me?
may even try to learn to hand stand because i cant do that yeat haha.

I just one of those dumb asses that needs to be spoon fed workouts like "I did this 3 x week and in 2 months i was noticable stronger and could feel/see difference" as i lack confidence to just do something till im exhausted and know its the 'optimal' way to spend my time.

dont wanna fall into that trap of 10000000 crunches a day = perfect abs holes that most seem too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Haze

PostSubject: Re: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:14 pm

And now you can do dips Very Happy , weighted dips, weighted pushups, daimond pushups, tuck planche/planche training and many more
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:28 pm

hahaha good effort.. BUT unfortunately we dont have any free-standing chairs.. well except for my office chair but thats on wheels lol..

we have backless stools for meal time on a bench (its a flat with open plan living room/ kitchen) but i have got access to the work gym.. which has pull up bars etc.. and trying to sort a dip station.. so all in time ill have access to everythign i need i think

i just meant at home for pre-work mornign workouts. But yeah ill get technique and decent reps out of the pushup variations then lok at adding extra weight. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:12 pm

hey phil. nice to have you here. im also working on being a bar-barian. i would advice that you set some goals by taking on the bar challenges. this will make you stay motivated and strong through out your way.

for example, one form of BB5MD is to complete 50 pullups and 100 pushups within 5 mins.

as you can see, its really simple, just 2 workouts, but to complete that is a tough one and i think its the most simple bar-barian challenge i have encountered so far, yet very challenging. so what you do, just focus on getting those 2 exercises. and take on the challenge every week. and when the day comes you accomplish it, you will feel great, and thats when you take harder challenges. do pushups/pullups daily or 3 times a week, whichevers convenient for you.

also measure your performance everytime. thats how this log works.
always track your progress.

btw, im doing leangains atm, and have been on it for 13 weeks.
from my understanding, if your cardio does not involve any muscular stimulation (jogging, cycling), you dont need BCAA. you need it just to retain your muscle during lifting, otherwise, you dont, and its not even necessary for the human body. just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/fiqqymickey
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Hey K4lis,

Cheers for your reply and i will certainly follow your advice about trying to improve my max and aiming for a time as a 'starting point' thanks. What does BB5MD stand for though? I'm sure its obvious but im new haha.

ill take a look through the beginner section and try and find a vid on perfect BB Pushup form (is it chest right down to touch floor then full arm extension or not as extreme as that?

I think most ive done is 50 pressups in one go and they were only poor form ones so I think even half of that with good form will be first 'aim' on pushups.. pullups ive not got past 16 i think? and again poor form, chin barely over bar and swinging too so i think 10 full ROM is first aim there.

At same time i think ill try the june challenge at soem point. Thanks fior the direction dude.

i jog 3x and will be doing basic weight circuits the other two with pushups mixed in. I was adviced to drink bcaa anyway with all morning workout as additional help.. but im sure you are probably right.. I'll investigate at some point but its just habit now lol. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:29 pm

to be honest im not sure myself, i think zef came out with the term 5MD.

there's 3 versions as far as im concern

1. 50 pullups 100 pushups
2. 125 dips
3. 50 wide grip pushups, 50 shoulder width pushups, 50 bar-baric diamond (basically diamond pushups but your right/left fingers and thumb overlaps the other and it will form sort of an oval shape hold in the middle instead of diamonds)

each within 5 mins.

pick one, i'd suggest number 1 or 3, and trust me, each is a good quick workout. always focus on the form, if you plan to start with pushups touching the ground and almost a lockout at the top, then you will benefit at the long run. dont worry about reps - quality over quantity.

are you planning to start leangains seriously? because if it doesnt complement your lifestyle, you can still eat a good 3 square meals per day. as for BCAA, you can get it naturally from 200g meats/1 scoop of whey (fast protein) those would equal around 30g of protein and breaks down to around 10g of BCAA in 1 or 2 hours before training, it equivalents to 1 scoop of the normal BCAA you get in stores, and its more natural.

the point of leangains is to fast for a solid 16 hours with almost zero calories ingested. this way, you dont trigger insulin hormone that refrains your body from burning fat mode (during fasting). the fast only starts to show its benefit above 14 hour mark, no really significance if you fast less than that.
Back to top Go down
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:11 am

Hey K4lis,

Thanks for the input and advice. I cant do dips at home so im going to be doing a lot of pushups at home in teh am on the days I dont do cardio... BUT i do have access to quite an impressive workout station at my martial arts gym now (I upped my membership to gain access) to help me.

so i intend to do 2 workouts am (pushups / ab work) and then 2 or 3 workouts (which i will ask members here to plan for me) on the gym bars in the evening after my martial arts classes..

I will video / document the different workouts for members to judge my 'starting point' and laugh at my form etc. Razz

As for diet.. i dont know.. ive tried so many different ones and no matter the diet as long as i work out i seem to lose weight.. but i have plateu'd at 175lb-ish for several weeks even though i do what i consider a lot of exercise.. so im looking to push my body more and im hoping skipping breakfast carbs will force my body to use fat stores.. I have no idea if its better tbh, i just know im tired at my desk in the mornings haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:37 am

try taking a tea to tablespoon of raw honey and drink with water first thing in the morning. that helped for me. sunny
Back to top Go down
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:51 pm

OK so after a weekend of research and video watching and quite frankly getting pretty confused im thinking about bringing it back to basics for my 'start point'.

I dont do/haven't done proper bodyweight exercises before.. I obviously do certain amounts of these during warmups for my martial arts classes.. but never have I done a wokout entirely focused on building strength with bodyweight only so i consider this 'week 1, day 1'

ny workouts will be seperated into two parts; 'At home' and 'At gym' which will define equipment available to me.

At Home:
As mentioned before im still trying to lose weight too so my morning 'at home' workouts will be 3 days bodyweight exercises, 2 days low intensity but long cardio..

The only home equipment I have (other than a treadmill haha) is a simple bench, 5kg dumbells, 10kg dumbells and the 'perfect pushup' handles seen in littlebeastM's video "The Push Up Handles - Tutorial " which i intend to spend most of my time with i guess. I might be getting a dip station but depends on space in flat.

If i get the station im doing this workout: http://bar-barians.forumotions.net/t4535-how-to-get-a-gymnast-body-look-lean-using-only-bodyweight-exercises

seems to suit my lgoals of weight loss and strength increase with limited equipment needed.

At Gym
OK so Im quite Blessed that I do my martial arts at Gracie Barra birmingham and they have a cool strength and conditioning setup that ive never used until now.. I took some photos for you guys but i cant put them here for 7 days apparently Sad

I'm thinking of attempting this routine here that i found thanks to Tims bar-barian beginners thread (thank you!) twice or three times a week in the evenings after my martial arts class. Obviously I dont have a clue what my max is, or what my form is like so my first attempt i may not even be able to do the 30/10/20/10 first circuit haha..

Im pretty sure I can do 30 pressups chest to floor style as ive done 40/50 pressups in wussy speed style (full extend to just above L in the arms rather than chest to floor) in class warm ups but the rest i have no idea on. Smile

Feedback / input / adaptions / suggestions please let me know.. I certainly need a morning routine suggested guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Digit

PostSubject: Re: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Man Dawalli's drop set routine kicks asses!!! I am doing it here and then trying to drop my time or increase the reps !!!

One advice, try ro focus on the basics. Use ladders pyramids High Volume Training to increase your reps. Dawalli's drop set is a bit hard. U still can use it even if you can do low reps but it is better for me if u can hit some reps and use it afterwards u got stronger.
Start the negatives to get stronger for pull ups and dips and when u master them then start the high rep training for endurance. Cheers !!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:21 pm

awesome stats!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Digit wrote:
Man Dawalli's drop set routine kicks asses!!! I am doing it here and then trying to drop my time or increase the reps !!!

true
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:31 am

well unfortunately I was ill over the weekend which put a downer on my trip back to my hometown (bournemouth) to meet up with a mate on his birthday and hit our first 'park session' together...

instead of a full workout, we just messed about guaging how rubbish we are and realising how much harder some of the moves we have seen are than we though and just how much hard work it's going to take! Also got some grip gloves for outside workouts for like £5 lol.

I also pickup my dip station tonight which I'm pretty stoked about, so I'm hoping I can squeeze that in the flat and use it as part of my new morning workouts and officially 'start' tomorrow am!

In other (boring) news.. im well on form to smash my target weight by my deadline of hte 14th of July as I weighed in at 168.4lb at the weekend meaning I have lost 42.6lb so far. I was aiming to have a good 170lb on the 14th.. i may even try to reach 165lb or under!

If i can reach that then the diet officially stops and i switch to a building muscle diet so ill be upping the calories a bit and looking to get advice on what changes I need to make.. but tbh i dont think it will differ too much from current diet except more protein lol.

But yeah.. apart from being horribly ill, im in good spirits for the start of my journey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?   

Back to top Go down

Total Beginner to who-knows-where! Maybe even bar-barian?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1