Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Training log (female)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Hehe! I keep my big carb spike to once a week. Basically just allow myself one meal to go crazy. That invariably involves cake. And booze Smile That said, I am putting myself on a mini-diet after a few days of being fed up by my family!

Putting "false grip pull-ups" into google brings up this as the first result:

Which is awesome because he's bascially saying muscle-ups are about Russian Dips and FG pull-ups. Woohoo - on the right track Smile

Anyhow, he gives a good explanation. Basically it's a hand position where you put the bar against the lower pads of your hands, putting more strain on your wrist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:41 pm

I seriously can't hold a false grip at all. Sad I've got some work to do.

I need to find a way to practice Russian dips too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:27 am

Thanks Fi...LOL that garage gym is a disaster.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:29 am

Wednesday 15th August
Wanted to go running, but was totally destroyed after Tuesday so had to take a rest day.

--------------------------------

Thursday 16th August
Went up to Primrose.

Warm-up:
2 bench push-ups
2 bench dips
2 burpees
Then: 4/6/8/10/8/6/4/2 of each
(Total of 50 of each)

I'm following the pull-up program on www.50pullups.com to get my reps up (can't remember if I already said that) so did my sets:

4, 4, 6, 4, max (6)
With 2 mins rest between each set

Then 4 x supersets:

10 x L-sit kick-outs
20 x pistol squats (10 each leg)
5 x Russian dips

Then some static holds:

3 sets of:

5s front lever tuck, 5s skin the cat, 5s back lever tuck

Last edited by Fi on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Friday 17th August
Was gonna go running but a friend came round instead. Priorities... Wink

------------------------------------

Saturday 18th August

Awesome hot day up at Primrose. Getting ripped and getting a tan - life doesn't get much better Wink

Quick warm-up:
2/4/6/8 bench push-ups and bench dips
Joint mobility stuff

5 sets of pull-ups (Day 3 of the 50pullups.com cycle):
5, 5, 7, 5, max (7)
Pretty good - still feeling ok.

4 super sets of:
5 x Russian dips
10 x L-sit kick-outs
10 x straight bar dips

5 sets of:
7s tuck front lever hold -> 5s skin the cat -> 5s tuck back lever hold

5 sets of 20 push-ups (mix of normal and narrow). Last set had Migs adding in an extra static hold at the low, then some plank on the last rep. Killer.

3 x false-grip pull-ups (getting easier, but still really fu*king hard)

3 sets of 5 explosive pull-ups (realising I should get onto doing these a) more and b) not at the end of a session).

Finished off with 10 chin-ups (in a row - PB - woo!) and 20 push-ups.

Wow, writing that down I realise it was a much bigger session than normal. What Saturdays are for Smile

----------------------------

Sunday 19th August
6.5km run around the park in the not-too-hot morning.

12km bike ride in the very hot afternoon, half of which was with a 5kg bag of BBQ coal in my backpack!
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Monday 20th August
Spent most of the day lounging around the house doing FA and eating left over BBQ'd stuff from yesterday (2 drumsticks, 2 thighs a chicken breast and loads of grilled veggies, and that was just lunch Wink

Went for a 6km run and didn't stop at all. Woo! (Normally I stop and walk for a few metres at least once - weak mental strength Wink )

Did a load of stretching.
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:48 pm

Tuesday 21st August
Went up to Primrose.

Warm-up:
2 bench push-ups
2 bench dips
(Total of 50 of each)

50 pull-ups Day 4:
5, 5, 8, 5, max (8 )
These actually felt like a bit of a struggle today.

4 x super sets:
- 15 dips (12 in the last three sets)
- 15 side-to-side leg raises (lying on the ground - toes to ground - working obliques - one rep is both sides so 30 in total)
- 5 x MU negatives

4 sets of:
5s tuck front lever -> 5s skin the cat -> 5s tuck back lever
(Actually timed these properly with the Round Timer app)

2 sets of explosive pull-ups

Felt pretty tired - though I would have felt fresher after two days off upper body, but perhaps all that running didn't help.

Rest day tomorrow maybe? We shall see Wink
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:38 am

Wednesday 22nd August
Rest day

---------------------------------------------------

Thursday 23rd August

Warm-up:
2 bench push-ups
2 bench dips
2 burpees
(Total of 50 of each)

Day 5 of 50PU:

5 sets:
6, 6, 9, 6, max (Cool
Went ok. Given that my max was 9 before, and I did that in the third set, I'm pretty confident that in my max test next week I will smash 10. Then I'm going to give the 50PU program a rest for a bit and focus on explosive pull-ups and power-generation for the MU (after I post a video of me hitting 10+ pull ups on my blog of course Wink )

3 sets:
- 5 x L-sit kick out, 5 x leg raises (p-bars), done alternately
- 10 x straight bar dips
- 20s L-sit hold
- 10 x diamond push-ups

3 sets of 3 x skin the cat (rings)

Think I'm going to review my program after my max reps test, and make it more focussed on getting that elusive MU. At the moment I'm doing the 50PU program first, but want to switch to have a better warm-up then go straight into explosive pulls, with deep straight bar dips, false grip pulls and some Russian dips. Will probably do that for a month then review again.
Back to top Go down
Jono

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:56 am

Wow, based on you doing 9 reps in the 3rd set, it seems you'll be looking at about 12+ for your max! I bet you're excited to try it Razz

Your posts made me realise we need a good balance between strength/power work and endurance work. I'm still trying to find that balance at the moment. As a Bar-barian we have to master the hard moves (similar to gymnastics), except we need to be great endurance athletes too. A much finer balance than I previously thought...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/reincarnate100
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:24 pm

reincarnate100 wrote:
Wow, based on you doing 9 reps in the 3rd set, it seems you'll be looking at about 12+ for your max! I bet you're excited to try it Razz

That's what I'm hoping. Will be awesome - I'm really excited about it! Gonna have to find some stranger at the park to video it for me (and make sure I lock out properly Wink)

Quote :
Your posts made me realise we need a good balance between strength/power work and endurance work. I'm still trying to find that balance at the moment. As a Bar-barian we have to master the hard moves (similar to gymnastics), except we need to be great endurance athletes too. A much finer balance than I previously thought...

Yeah, totally. It is a really hard balance. I constantly need to think what I'm doing and make sure I'm not focussing on one thing at the expense of others. I think I've done ok so far, although I've not been giving HSPU's any lovin', which will have to change given they were one of my goals for the year. That said, I think there is some crossover between pull-ups and HSPU so maybe I'll find them easier next time I try.

I find keeping this log pretty helpful though, so I can go back and see what I've been doing, evaluate where I am and make changes. It does make it easier to see any glaring omissions. Plus it's nice when you log one session to be able to think of what you want to work on next time. I am a firm believer in working to a plan to get the best results (in training at least - the rest of my life is a haphazard disaster of disorganisation Smile )
Back to top Go down
Jono

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:03 am

I'm just wondering if cycling strength/power and endurance every month is more effective than doing strength/power and endurance in the same week...

So far I've done strength/power for a month and my endurance has suffered a lot, but my power gains have been great.

Maybe if I did a strength and endurance session separately in the week, it'd be better. I plan to try it out

---

As for the recording issue, I used to try to balance my camera against something at the right angle. Only problem is you'll look weird leaning down to see if the camera is focused on the pull-up bar! Razz
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:14 am

I think cycling by months is too long a gap - you'd lose considerable strength in that time.

I tend to mix strength and endurance on the same day - so stuff for reps and things like static holds to build strength. At some point I will split them more, but at the moment I'm not strong enough to do a whole session of either without absolutely killing myself!

I do cardio on separate days though, and that's definitely made a big difference to my bar-training gains. Before I would do something like a 5km run, then 100 push-ups, pull-ups, dips, abs etc. It f-ed my up - wouldn't recover so well and just felt fatigued. The way I train now feels like I'm making better progress.

And yes - I have a few videos filmed at weird angles! Quite funny. Realised now that it's better to ask someone to hold the camera.
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:58 pm

Saturday 25th August
Decided to go to the gym today for a change. Just didn't feel like going to Primrose - bad nights sleep and quite tired generally, plus had to be somewhere at 2pm, so limited time.

Warm-up:
1km run @ 11km//h
Joint mobility

Pull-ups
5 sets:
6 , 6, 9, 6, 9 (supposed to hit 10 max but couldn't - no drama)
That was the last session before max reps test on Tuesday. Excited

3 x super sets:
10 x straight bar dips
20 x push-ups (narrow)
20 x pistols (5/5 each leg)

3 x super sets:
7 x HLRs
5 x L-sit chin-ups

5 x super sets:
20 high kicks (10 with each leg)
10 x roll-outs with ab wheel (5 from standing, 5 kneeling)
10 x swiss ball pikes

(With the exception of HLRs and L-sit kick-outs, those ab wheel and swiss ball pikes have been the only ab-specific work I've done in the past few months)

Stretching, quick session in the steam room.

Was weird being back at the gym, and only confirmed that the decision to freeze my membership was a good idea (actually I extended that freeze till the end of October). It was hot and stuffy and all the stuff that was broken before I stopped going is in exactly the same state.

Gotta say though that it was quite cool going back and being much stronger. Had to do my pull-ups on the rack in the weights room, which I had previously never set foot in, as they were moving/replacing some equipment. Pretty much ended up with an audience, and guys telling me I had the women's record for pull-ups there. Kept getting asked lots about my training, what sport I do ("just this"), what muscles straight bar dips work (not really sure!) etc. Kinda cool, especially surrounded by meatheads doing bicep curls Wink

Also it was the first time training in front of a mirror, so of course it would've been rude not to take a vanity photo, which I also hadn't done for months.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:36 am

How's your lever work going? I've figured out that I'm capable of doing a back lever, but not for very long and it hurts, lol. Crying or Very sad

I'm pretty sure that the problem is in my shoulders and arms. I've been doing a lot of research, and it's very important to prepare your shoulders, elbows, biceps, etc, for straight arm work. So, jumping into the next progression without mastering the first one probably isn't the best idea, as I've found out with my sore forearms and elbows.

Anyways, I think the best way to work on getting a full back lever, is to first hold a german hang for 60s, then go into the next progressions. I'm thinking the next progressions will be easier since I have decent core strength, just lacking everything else.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:09 am

Monday 27th August

6.5km run in 37 minutes (going to start timing this and trying to get my times down a bit)

Stretching

Last edited by Fi on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jono

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:25 am

How many did you manage? bounce Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:29 am

Not done it yet - going after work. Was just making notes so I don't forget what I want to do. (Yes, I am so OCD that I write my planned training, then read it when I leave the studio so that I don't forget what I wanted to do! Wink )
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Tuesday 28th August

Warm up:
10 jumping jacks / 2 burpees / 10JJ / 4B / 10JJ / 6B / 10JJ / 8B / 10JJ / 10B / 10JJ / 8B / 10JJ / 6B / 10JJ / 4B / 10JJ / 2B / 10JJ

(Total of 50 burpees and 100 jumping jacks)

Then 2 x push-ups and 1 x pull-up for 7 rounds

Mobility stuff whilst resting

Max reps test for pull-ups... Got 11. Reasonably happy, although after watching the video my form is shitty - don't lock out towards the end, feet not together etc. so I'll probably try again when I'm at Kennington on the high bar there, so I can fully lock out (the one at Primrose is the "scary" side of high!).

3 sets sof 10 x wide push-ups on the low push-up bars (trying to go negative and work front of shoulder.

Stupidly went into supersets of Russian dips, which were hard after hitting my shoulders!

3 x supersets of:
5 x Russian dips
10 x leg raises

3 sets of:
10s front lever tuck -> 10s skin the cat -> 10s back lever tuck
(Timed them with the Round Timer app. Doubled the time from last time I did them, which was killer - ripped up my arms. However I feel like I'm making progress - did some leg-sticking-out too)

3 sets of 5 x explosive pull-ups getting as high as I can

---------------------

In general I am feeling pretty exhausted. Not sure whether it's due to not sleeping enough or not eating enough (unlikely!Smile) or just too much training. Thinking that I'll try and make it to Primrose on Saturday but then I might take a week or so off and have a rest and let my body recover.

Need to make some changes to my program and try and schedule to work out with other people more who will push me hard, so that will give me a chance to get that sorted too.
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Wednesday 29th August

6.5km run in 36.06s

I am timing it with my phone now - hit start on the timer, run out the front door, stop the timer when I get back in again. Obviously things like having to wait for traffic when I'm crossing the road will affect the seconds, but I'm mainly going to work on getting the minutes down.

Also been experimenting with dropping my carbs (109g today) and eating more fat (129 today). Slowly going to try and drop the non-green veg (I eat quite a few carrots and onions, which can both be dropped, as well as things like peas). Felt like I had good energy throughout the run though which was good.
Back to top Go down
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:55 am

I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:59 am

Saturday 1st September

Up to Primrose.

Warn up sets
2 bench push-ups
2 bench dips
4/4 6/6 8/8 10/10 8/8 6/6 4/4 2/2

Working through the same 50PU cycle but doing the same cycle with a second of dead-hang at the bottom.
5 sets:
5, 5, 7, 5, 7

3 x super-sets:
5 x Russian dips
30s L-sit holds (few breaks as legs cramping)
10 x bar dips

Lots of static holds:
4 sets of:
10s front lever tuck -> 10s skin the cat -> 10s back lever tuck

Front tuck lever

False grip pull-ups (rings)

5 sets of 5(ish) explosive pull-ups
5 sets of 10 x narrow push-ups in between

Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:54 am

Sunday 2nd & Monday 3rd September
Took two rest days.

I wanted to take a week off, but just found my body was aching and stiff and I just didn't feel like resting, so now I've changed my mind Smile Also intending to change my daily schedule so instead of doing park on one day, cardio the next, I'm gonna aim for two days of bar work, then a day or cardio, then rest. Feel like I'm strong enough to manage the two days on - just going to have to work out a good split.

--------------------------

Tuesday 4th September
Primrose.

Warm-up
2 push ups, 2 burpees, 2 bench dips, 2 burpees... x 4/6/8/10/8/6/4/2
Easy way to do 100 burpees Smile

Pull-ups from dead-hang
5 sets: 5, 7, 5, 5, 7
(Repeating the last 50PU cycle from deadhang)

Pyramid sets:

Diamond push-ups: 2/4/6/8/10/8/6/4/2

Dips: 2/4/6/8/10/8/6/4/2

L-sit kick-outs: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10
(urgh)

3 sets of 5 x jumping muscle ups (low bar) and MU negatives

A few tuck lever holds
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:03 am

Wednesday 5th September
Second day running of bar training. Going to see how this regime works out. Hopefully it will give me the boost I need to get stronger.

Cycled 9km to check out a new park - Battersea. Wasn't bad - nice thick dip bars, some monkey bars which were good for pull-ups etc. as the others were very low, and a few other things.

Did a pull-up/narrow push-up pyramid to start:
2/4/6/8/10/

3 supersets:
10 x Hanging leg raises
5 x dynamic pull-ups

Static holds... 3 sets of:
30s L-sit (had to split it up - legs cramping and tired after cycling and yesterday)
30s tuck planche (both on the p-bars)
10 x pistols on each leg (these felt pretty good)

10 sets of 10s pull-up negatives with 10s rest (more rest towards the end!)

10 sets of 10s dip negatives (going as low as possible - trying to load up the shoulders) with 10s rest

5 x MU negatives

10 x straight bar dips

9km cycle back home

Last edited by Fi on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:36 am

Thursday 6th September

Last of my three day train-a-thon.

6.5km run (usual route) in 39.54.

Bad time - was exhausted after 100 burpees on Tuesday then 20km cycling and pistols on Wednesday! But feeling pretty good - three days training is definitely better than four days rest Wink
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:07 pm

Friday 7th September

Rest day Smile

---------------------------------------

Saturday 8th September
I'd spent the last two days thinking about the muscle up, and what I needed to work on to get it. Since my pulls are quite high, bar dips strong and I've been doing some MU negatives, I figured it was about time to give some more thought to the technique.

I decided on two routes of attack: the kip to get momentum to get over and focusing more on getting my upper body over the bar once I'm up.

There's a big session going down at Primrose tomorrow so I didn't want to kill myself, but after getting that kip thing in my head I had to go and try it out.

So...

10km cycle to park

Warm-up:
2/4/6/8/10/8/6/4/2 - bench push-ups and bench dips
then
1 pull-up, 2 push-ups, 2/4, 3/6, 4/8, 5/10

3 sets of 10 x leg raises (p-bars)

Did a few jumping MU's on a low-ish bar, then tried to move to a higher one (only about 20cm higher) but just couldn't get up there with the jump. Messed around with that for a while.

Rested for a bit then jumped on the high bar... pulled hard and brought my knees up, then pulled harder and kicked my legs out, and went straight up and got my elbows over the bar! Woohoo!!! Actually getting up there didn't feel that hard at all. Weird. So tomorrow my goal is to establish what I'm doing wrong, and hopefully sort out that transition.

Any suggestions for the above are welcome.

Cycled 10km home again too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training log (female)   

Back to top Go down

Training log (female)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next