Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Barefoot marathoning

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mrpullup2

PostSubject: Barefoot marathoning   Sun May 27, 2012 12:37 am

I am running a half marathon in aug, and I want to do the whole thing barefoot, not just half of the half marathon like I did last week. I will be wareing barefoot shoes, but still, barefoot style for 21kms. I need sugestions on how to have my feet/legs more prepared for the new challange. Thx.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot marathoning   Sun May 27, 2012 4:04 pm

It might seem obvious... but practice running barefoot anywhere... start small letting your feet get used to it, then get bigger Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrpullup2

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot marathoning   Sun May 27, 2012 11:49 pm

Ya, thats sort of what I figired, but I did not want to f*** my self durin the marathon because I was not prepared enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Digit

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot marathoning   Mon May 28, 2012 4:51 am

Man do u mean that u will run the half marathon completely barefoot or with barefoot shoes ? I cant understand. Well regarding the preparation one week before the marathon u should do a long run like 15 Km. I use the same running style and my calves are like tanks : D. I try to get rid of the shoes completely. If u think that u are not ready dont do it ..... U can also try some uphill sprints they will make calves stronger . Dont forget to have a very good warm up!

Check this junkie ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=madoDvtKEes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot marathoning   Wed May 30, 2012 1:01 pm

Are you already running in barefoot shoes?

Assuming you are not, and you intend to run the half in barefoot shoes (not clear on either point from your post) then I would buy some shoes today and go for a run in them immediately. Start with short distances, and between now and August build up to the full distance.

In all honesty I don't think you have very much time, and I would research online and find a barefoot group locally to do some training with, as they will advise you on form and technique. If you don't get used to the different style of running you could seriously injure yourself so I definitely think it's worth investing time and effort in to.

Some info here: http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/2012/05/04/learning-to-run-barefoot-where-should-you-begin/ and on Google.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
mrpullup2

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot marathoning   Wed May 30, 2012 5:29 pm

My apologies for being unclear, my first language is hillbilly tongue .

I am planning on running it in barefoot shoes, and I bought some a few days ago-vibram treksports. I have done barefoot running a bit already, and decided to get the shoes cause I want to protect my feet/get some traction. I have never gone as far barefoot as maybe, 7 miles or so, and that is why I wanted some help. I can run a half marathon in normal shoes, but I kknow that barefoot style is different, and thats why I wanted help. The salesman told me that I should have enough time to adjust to them for the marathon, but maybe he was just trying to make a sale....Where's my shotgun?! JK!!

Anyway, I hope that is more clear, thanks for whatever help you can provide.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Digit

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot marathoning   Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:34 am

I agree with Phin . 3 months isnt enough time to adjust your calves and your foot sole to the barefoot run . It is more difficult and ofcourse you should start training the forefoot strike instead the heel strike u used to run (if u used to run with that style) the half marathon. Pay attention on the way you strike because u can damage your self with the wrong way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrpullup2

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot marathoning   Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Ya, I've been trying to use the forefoot strike everytime I go barefoot. The other day I logged several kms crosscountry in my vibrams, and my calves were quite sore. I am getting conflicting info, the salesman said I should have enough time to adjust, and you guys are saying no. So.........?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Digit

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot marathoning   Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:01 am

Man i am not an expert, i am talking through my experience. Try to ask in a running forum. It depends from your body . If you feel ready go for it. Just try a long run before the half marathon and see the results.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrpullup2

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot marathoning   Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
freerunner

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot marathoning   Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:47 pm

One bit of advice: run toe-to-heel.

Your could seriously damage your heels if you run heel-to-toe on cement. If it's on sand or grass it's not as much of a problem, though.

On the down side, you'll have to have really strong calves to go toe-first for a half marathon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot marathoning   Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:29 pm

Hey MrPullup, just wondering how you are getting on with your training? I have just bought myself a pair of Vibram (KSO) and will be starting to do a bit of barefoot running (gonna start with 2k in the park or on a treadmill, and increase by a k every few weeks) so interested to hear how you're doing.
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot marathoning   Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:58 pm

I just came across this post, which has lots of good info on the transition to barefoot
http://www.gobroncobilly.com/?p=282
Back to top Go down
mrpullup2

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot marathoning   Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:51 pm

Thanks for the article/interest phin. My training is going good, just went for a really long run the other day. (day off of work). My calves are getting stronger and stronger, and I am really enjoying the way I am running now. Friday, I will be going for another long run too, as it is also my day off. I am fully enjoying this! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot marathoning   Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:53 pm

Oh that's cool - sounds like you're well on the way to doing that race Smile

How did you find the heel-toe strike vs. toe-heel strike transition? Have you found it happens naturally or did you have to think about it a lot? I'm gonna wear my VFFs for a few hours a day building up to full days before I run in them, but am still finding I strike heavily with the heel - reckon it'll correct itself?
Back to top Go down
mrpullup2

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot marathoning   Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:28 pm

It was more or less natural. Like I mentined before(or I think I mentined), I have done some barefooting already, just with socks only, so the transition was not to bad. I think that if you focus on the toe strike more than how many miles you put in, and do it often, it will correct itself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Barefoot marathoning   

Back to top Go down

Barefoot marathoning
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1