Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
3Dip Max

PostSubject: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Tue May 22, 2012 11:28 pm

Hey, I'm new to the bar, only 3 days and loving it Very Happy ... However I'm trying to lose body fat (especially in the stomach area) ....
I'm around 6 foot 2 (maybe slightly more) and around 83 kg, but my arms and legs are toned but my stomach has fat, thus giving me a skinny fat look. I want to lose this as soon as possible, so I'm trying to restrict calories while workin out aswell.
Here is my basic meal plan
Breakfast:
Over one cup raw oats + milk = around 2 cups oatmeal
2 eggs
Lunch:
Chicken breast sandwich on whole meal bread
Dinner:
Some form of meat(8-10ounces), with a lot of vegetables, sometimes carbs, but then I cut down on meat.

I also snack occasionally on fruits, nuts, cheese,etc
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:53 pm

You're not that heavy, so I wouldn't stress too much - by training on the bar for a few months you will naturally start dropping the fat around your middle and looking ripped.

I would make the following comments, however:

- In an ideal world, you should look to eat 20g+ of protein at every meal, so eggs or lean meat with breakfast would be good too
- Don't eat bread if you can avoid it (financial reason is really the only excuse to eat it, IMHO, unless you are eating high-quality (not mass produced) wholemeal bread).
- Eat more vegetables and salad
- Make sure you eat carbs after you train - 50g+ as soon afterwards as possible.
- You might find that eating more smaller meals works for you
- Equally some people here swear by intermittant fasting

I have made the mistake (only been doing this since February) of not eating enough as I wanted to get lean like you. All that happened was that I f-ed myself up, couldn't recover properly, didn't have enough energy and felt tired and grumpy. Now I eat more than I did before and am leaner and healthier. I'm 5 foot 5 and 60kgs, and in no way overweight (visible abs) so at 6 foot 2 at 83kgs I'm pretty sure that after a few months you will be ripped and will start eating more than you do now! (Honestly on that diet I don't think you could sustain heavy training for very long!).

Hope this helps Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
Fi

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:54 pm

One other thing - you mention eating more carbs but cutting down on meat - don't do that.

I try and get at least 100g of protein a day, and up to 120g if I'm training hard. If you're 83kg's you should look at around 160g (IMO a 2g per kg rule is pretty good for calisthenics). This means protein shakes (unless you want to be eating all the time) and also incorporating protein-based things into your snacks (I eat a lot of cottage cheese and peanut butter, for example). At the moment you're not getting anything close to that (oats & milk maybe 12g + chicken breast 25g + dinner maybe 25g = not enough).

So to re-iterate - more protein, and maybe even more food overall Smile

Also, no booze and no sugar! (Unless it's straight after training).
Back to top Go down
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks or the reply ^.^ .... Taking everything you said into consideration, I'll add more eggs to my breakfast, and carbs after my workout. Regarding smaller more frequent meals, I just can't do it...I need to feel full or close to it, can't live on many small meals (tried it and failed) I originally started at around 88kg and now am at around 80 in less than a month, waist is thinner but no visible abs (not even expecting and yet), my stubborn fat seems to like me a lot :p ...I'd like to add that I'm nt feeling sluggish or tired at all but rather more energetic... However taking your advice, here is an edit of my diet...please critique, thanks

Breakfast
3-4 eggs
Oatmeal (big bowl: a little over 2 cups) with peanut butter and honey

Lunch
Sandwich with 2 wholemeal bread, 250g meat, mayo, cheese and lettuce

Dinner
300-400 g meat
Some carbs ( pasta/rice)
A lot of veggies (until I'm full)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:54 pm

Cool Smile Maybe add a salad and a bit of fruit to your lunch - try and get 5 portions of fruit or veg a day so you get lots of nutrients.

Also, it sounds like intermittant fasting could be for you if you like being full. Basically you condense your eating window into 8 hours, meaning that insulin spikes are lessened and food is metabolised effectively (that's a very simplified explanation - check out www.leangains.com for a good intro). You start eating at about midday, then finish at 8pm-ish (depending on when you train and your lifestyle). I wish it could work for me but sadly I don't see how I could make it happen with my lifestyle.
Back to top Go down
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:08 pm

Unfortunately it doesn't go with my lifestyle either, as my meals aren't always evenly spaced out, dinner on some days is at 9, and on some days at 11...on somedays I even miss lunch altogether, but I am usually constantly snacking on nuts and fruits on those days...I also love fruits and have them daily, probably not 5 times a day, but whenever I feel hungry ... Also when I tried IF I felt more energized in the day, but not to such an extent that I'd miss breakfast (I love breakfast :p) as I'm quite hyper as it is :p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:31 am

Totally - losing breakfast would be the worst! It's the first thing I do when I get up, and not being able to eat in the morning would suck.
Back to top Go down
RalphaTanYL

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:06 am

Lmao at nutrition.. just train hard and you'll be good no need to be that stress out on that.. Eat good train hard = results.. I recently turned Lacto vegan and have no problem with protein Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:08 pm

Yeah at 19 you don't need to be so worried Razz

But trust me, when you get to my age and your metabolism slows you'll definitely want to keep more of an eye on things!
Back to top Go down
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:57 pm

So I should chill on nutrition and just focus on the bar? Fine by me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:54 am

this threads made me re-think my diet.. i just restarted leangains (done it in the past when i wasnt working out as much) but i have just looked at this as well as other inputs and i just think its not going to be right with my work load and like Phin did, I might end up doing more damage to my progress. I think you might be the same.

I'm thinking of simply switching to a macro based diet which I have been messing with losely recently and tightening it up a bit. Might suit you if your unsure of meal sizes, what times you will take theme etc..

basically use this formula dude..

- 40/40/20 split across your 3 core sections (Protein/Carbs/Fat)
- intensity level between 12 and 15. Where 12 is a desk job and 3 average workouts a week and 15 is laborer and high intensity workouts 6 days a week.

Bodyweight x intensity number = calories per day
(for me 170lb x 13 = 2158cals)

From there you use basic maths to work out your calorie percent split
(for me.. 40% of 2158cals = 863.2cals and 20% = 431.6cals )

now the video i watched says to use this key below, but perhaps there are differnt ones but i use:

1g Fat = 9cals
1g Protein = 4cals
1g Carbs = 4cals

So now i have my daily weights (marcos):
Fat: 48g (431.6 divided by 9)
Protein: 216g (863.2 divided by 4)
Carbs: 216g (863.2 divided by 4)

Then its up to you how you split that across your meals, timings etc. Obviously there is 'best ways' to do this but you adapt it to your own life styles etc. I do smaller meals but you said you cant do that. I also dont have carbs late (even though its a myth from what i understand) only after workout and my oats in the morning.

I hope that was useful or made sense? Phin will add any comments critisism when she sees this no doubt. I'm still learning too remember.. BUT i have lost 41lb since jan doing 2/3 different diet styles and its only recently i have started to plateu so thats why i checked out this thread. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:12 am

hey flik, i might appear to be a LG advocate but i cant help it but to share with others because it works for me, especially when im training for endurance. its weird because this diet is ideal and catered for people to BULK up and CUT at the same time provided with HEAVY weightlifting training and thats something most of us in this forum dont do. however, it complements to my goal and volume training cuz ive been gaining strength since i started this "diet". however physique wise i have put on a bit muscle (from what my friends are telling me) but its nothing massive for a period of 13 weeks. not surprised cause im not doing heavy lifting or else i would have packed on serious muscles by now. so if your not looking to BULK, i'd suggest you not to do LG and just a healthy 3 square meals a day.

personally, i dont take LG as a diet, but as a lifestyle. its not about skipping breakfast, its prolonging the fast and reap off its benefit. i feel a lot energetic when training. sunny

if you need more clarification on LG, read this -> http://examine.com/leangains-faq/

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/fiqqymickey
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:01 am

Thanks flick, will give the macro counting a try, since I am currently eating quite close to it as it is. HOnestly, LG worked well for me, I lost some fat and gained a bit of strength, but the meal timings aren't feasible for me. And it also led me to overeat if I cheated
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:16 am

no worries man. im kinda in the middle like you are...

but i think the macros will suit you and your lifestyle better than LG.. however for me i actually LIKE LG and i think it did work .. which is why i personally have started doing it again.. Between Phins workouts, my martial arts classes, lean gains diet and my new bodyweight circuits.. im pretty sure 4 weeks i will see SOME sort of differnce lol.

but like K4lis said LeanGains is a lifestyle.. and actually i quite like it.. I'm just not sure im benifiting the most etc. but that FAQ helped a little and pointed out some holes in my setup and the most glaringly obvious is i dont lift heavy at the moment.

Anyway thats for my log haha.. Let me know how you get on with the macros dude. Two of my work mates have been doign it using that exact formula and both are seeing big improvements. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:24 am

Leangains also calls for working out 3 times heavy. Do you workout only thrice a week, and if not what's your workout like?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:32 am

thats where my issue is as i said in my post..

im not seeing massive strength benifits although i was losing weight at a steady rate.. i just didnt know if that was diet or my exercise.

My training log is started and will be here: http://bar-barians.forumotions.net/t4516-total-beginner-to-who-knows-where-maybe-even-bar-barian

as you can see i do a lot of exercise, but 99% of it is cardio and martial arts drills so its a differrnt kind of workout. After reading the Lean gains FAQ K4lis put up earlier though I'm thinking of swapping out all my intense cardios for either bodyweight routines (once i've been adviced what to do!) or medium intensity long sessions instead as i want to improve my strength now that ive signed up here.. rather than focus on just losing weight.

That way morning is 'strength' and evening is cardio/light strength during martial arts. The only exception is twice a week im going to use the Gyms bars to do another strength workout. so effectively i could be doing 4/5 strength sessions a week lol. (Yes im keen)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:53 am

i see. well i hope you'll be consistent. no hard and fast rule on the diet. eat healthy and work hard with enough rest and the results will come. i'll be cheering for you through out your journey bro.
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:01 am

I would aim for 3 or 4 strength sessions a week. 1 or 2 go really hard, 1 medium, 1 light-ish. If you kill it on all of them (especially as you're relatively new to this and your tendons, CNS etc. haven't adapted) then you could end up injuring yourself.

Cardio is good, and will help burn calories (and therefore fat) but you will see better gains (in your physique) by doing strength.

To me, "lifting heavy" means doing sets of around 5 reps. So say you were at the gym and using the assisted pull up machine to do dips/chin ups/pull ups, set the weight so you can just do 5 reps in a set, then rest and repeat. The same with weights - do a clean and press with whatever weight you can just do 5 reps on. Repeat for 4 or 5 sets (maybe start with 3 for a week or two). When you find that comfortable then increase the weight.

It's just my opinion but I have found much faster gains that way. I think the 5x5 thing is actually quite common in lifting, although I've never done weights so don't really know.

WRT to food, eat lots of protein (always worth knowing your macros IMO) with every meal, but have around 50g of carbs after workouts to get glycogen back in your muscles and help recovery.
Back to top Go down
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:08 am

ok cheers to both of you i think i can put something together using that advice.

I have bars at my martial arts gym and I have a gym here at work i can use for actual weights if needs be but I'll have to cut back on classes so I'll need to have a think there. In the mean time im still trying to build/find a bodyweight mornign routine with bit of cardio mixed in. And then bolt on a bar routine after my classes in the evening.

sorry for the thread hijack 3Dip Max lol

Hopefully its helpful to you too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:15 am

By all means bro, keep talking ... It's all benefitical to me man Very Happy and the Whole point of the forum is to help everyone, do it isn't really thread hijacking man
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:16 am

decided to not go lean gains after all due to my work load...

instead im doing my recent routine of oats + egg white as a breakfast, but im gonna have it after my workout and shower etc so that im working on an empty stomach after sleep.

you might find that suits you 3Dip Max (you mind if i shorten name to 3DM? lol) certainly if you have no idea when lunch /food break will be. a good amount of oats in the am will slow release energy and stop snacking etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:54 pm

I eat a big breakfast of oats with peanut butter and honey...and during my summer holidays I plan on running on an empty stomach and working out in the evening before dinner Very Happy but regarding meals I think we are doing something quite similar
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MrPositive

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:23 am

Fi wrote:

But trust me, when you get to my age and your metabolism slows you'll definitely want to keep more of an eye on things!

Hahahaha this! I remember when I was 19, I could eat McDonald's 4 times a week and you could still wash your Levi's on my stomach and knock out 25 pullups no problem (weighing 90 pounds didn't hurt either). Now at 39, I train like I'm entering a triathalon every week and losing that last inch on my stomach and doing more than 10 pullups pains me to no end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:38 am

MrPositive wrote:
Fi wrote:

Hahahaha this! I remember when I was 19, I could eat McDonald's 4 times a week and you could still wash your Levi's on my stomach and knock out 25 pullups no problem (weighing 90 pounds didn't hurt either). Now at 39, I train like I'm entering a triathalon every week and losing that last inch on my stomach and doing more than 10 pullups pains me to no end.

Very Happy

The most annoying thing is that I've only recently discovered how good peanut butter is. Actually, I've developed a small addiction to it. If only I was armed with that knowledge when I was young enough to get away with eating it by the spoonful!
Back to top Go down
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:42 am

Fi, enlighten me more on the peanut butter. how does it benefit you and when do you take it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet   

Back to top Go down

New to the bar, trying to lose fat diet
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next