Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Can high reps build mass, stimulate hypertrophy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
paradigmjourney

PostSubject: Can high reps build mass, stimulate hypertrophy   Tue May 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Can high reps build mass, like 300-500 pushups a day ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: Can high reps build mass, stimulate hypertrophy   Tue May 22, 2012 7:41 pm

not a sport scientist, but what i was informed - if u wanna get big, you gotta eat a lots of carbs along with protein as well. provided with a good workout. 300-500 pushups is a good daily target if your body can handle it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/fiqqymickey
mrpullup2

PostSubject: Re: Can high reps build mass, stimulate hypertrophy   Tue May 22, 2012 11:09 pm

Absolutly. As noted above, you need to eat enough as well. I did a 3-500 pushup thing myself for a while and it worked really well. Doing 100+ pullups a day made a massive difference. It is/was awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
freerunner

PostSubject: Re: Can high reps build mass, stimulate hypertrophy   Wed May 23, 2012 6:27 pm

I'm not sure if anyone else here follows all the new bodybuilding research, but one of the new-ish things is that high really reps work well for mass building, because they promote "sarcoplasmic hypertrophy," which is an increase in the volume of fluid within the cell.

I don't really know if that's true or not, but regardless of the rep range, high-volume is king for building muscle. I've used high volume pushup routines where you grind out a couple hundred a day, and they've worked very well.

I've heard good things about high volume with low reps, like with Pavel's Russian Bear routine, which uses sets of five reps, but doing a lot of sets.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mauretto

PostSubject: Re: Can high reps build mass, stimulate hypertrophy   Thu May 24, 2012 6:45 am

freerunner wrote:
I've used high volume pushup routines where you grind out a couple hundred a day, and they've worked very

you're talking about big volume like doing a lot of sets with low reps spread through the day, so basically grease the groove method?

I'm doing it since a few days with pullups+pushups. My max numbers are 16 wide bar pullups and 50+ pushups so during the day while i'm at work from 9am to 4pm i usually do like 7/8 or even 9 sets of 6 door pullups + 20 wall pushups spread through that 7 hour period. Got some good strenght results, but can't say anything about the mass gain for now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can high reps build mass, stimulate hypertrophy   

Back to top Go down

Can high reps build mass, stimulate hypertrophy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1