Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
3Dip Max

PostSubject: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Sun May 20, 2012 12:35 pm

Hey, I've just started calisthenics after seeing this website and watching some stuff on YouTube. Props to you guys, you're awesome :p ... Anyways, my numbers are quite low, so I'm looking to get healthier, fitter and stronger. I also want to lose some fat as I'm quite skinny fat.
Here are my stats:
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 186 lbs
Waist: 33-34"
Pushups: 20 full ROM (might get more, but haven't really gone to failure)
Dips: 3 full ROM (hence my username :p)
Pullups: 6-7 full ROM 
*I do all my reps quite slow and controlled Very Happy

My workout to increase my reps is as follows: 

Saturday PM
5 x max
90 seconds rest

Sunday PM
Set 1: 1 Rep, rest 10 seconds.
Set 2: 2 Reps, rest 20 seconds.
Set 3: 3 Reps, rest 30 seconds.
Set 4: 4 Reps, rest 40 seconds.
Continue this pattern until my reps number does not match my set number, rest 60 and then try one final set of max. reps.

Monday PM
9 sets of Training Rep
3 sets of Normal 
3 sets of Close
3 sets of Wide
60 seconds rest between sets. 

Tuesday PM
9 sets of Training Rep
60 seconds rest between sets

Wednesday PM
Repeat which ever day you found the hardest.

Thursday and Friday, eight 2 min rounds (1 min rest) heavy bag punching.

This means that for 3 weeks, to increase Pullups, I'll do Pullups in the evening and 3 sets of pushups/dips in the morning...then after 3 weeks, I'll do Dips in the evening an Pullups in the morning. I also do random exercises throughout the day if I feel like it (eg: 1 set of knee raises/1 set of HIP (pseudo) pushups.)

Im also planning on daily adding sprinting, circuit HIIT (jump rope, knee climbers, jumping jacks) or jogging to my routine, to burn off some fat, as I have stomach fat (skinny fat look)

I'm hoping to get to at least 40-50 pushups, 40 dips and 25 Pullups by the end of summer (3-4 months) and I'm sure I can do it...
My diet is as follows; feel free to comment:
Breakfast
Huge bowl oats (+1cups raw oats,  and milk) with 1 tbs honey and 2 tbs frozen berries
2 scrambled eggs
Lunch
6 inch sub
Dinner
8-10 oz meat
Veggies
*I'm always hungry and so I need a structured diet of sorts to control the amount I eat :p since im trying to lose the flabby belly :p

That's basically my plan, please feel free to comment on it, and help me out Very Happy as that's what I came here for...thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Sun May 20, 2012 8:26 pm

well im not a bar-barian as most ppl are in this group but am working towards it (goal is the bar-barian requirements). a good tip is be consistent and stay motivated. keep posting your progress. all the best. sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/fiqqymickey
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Sun May 20, 2012 11:32 pm

Thanks bro, I plan on staying consistent.,.just wondering though, the main reason for my program is to improve my reps, however the workout time lasts like 15-20 mins max, so should I continue until my reps improve? Or switch things up for a longer duration
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Mon May 21, 2012 12:29 am

im in no position to tell you what to do. but as a brother from another bar, i could say that do what your comfortable with. you make your own routine - or be inspired from others and construct your own. you can see mine in the training log section, mine is mostly Zef and UK bar-barian inspired.

likewise, i train to improve my reps as well because im aiming for BBR, however, i always take enough rest before going to the set, making sure every single rep that i make counts. however, a session could last up to 2 hours. some ppl like to train fast, me however i take my time. sunny
Back to top Go down
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Mon May 21, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks for the advice bro...I'll stick with this for a while, if I'm not improving, I'll switch things up, do whatever works for me. One question however, regarding diet, do you think I'm fine, seeing as to how I'm trying to lose stubborn belly fat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Mon May 21, 2012 10:58 am

i cant really comment since im not good in nutrition, however i am following LeanGains at the moment. its an intermittent fasting protocol that helps you to gain strength (definitely) and if you follow it strictly you CAN build muscle and lose fat at the same time. this is personal experience. ive been doing for 10 weeks, and i enjoy it. and i can definitely see progress in terms of strength (you can check my training log for progression). if you're up to try something new, i recommend you reading this diet.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

if you have any question about the protocol. feel free to ask. in this forum i only know other 2 people doing this, ironloo and HolyMeg. sunny

Back to top Go down
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Mon May 21, 2012 11:26 am

I tried leangains, but it's really hard to do in uni, since my meal timings are all out of whack...thanks anyway
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Mon May 21, 2012 10:19 pm

how hard issit? if you dont have time to eat through the day then fast during the day and vice versa. i think LG doesnt focus on meal timing, more just like getting your calories in during the feeding phase.

but anyways, 3 square healthy meals a day would be fine as well. with consistent workout. you bound to burn off those fats. slowly but surely. sunny
Back to top Go down
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Mon May 21, 2012 11:45 pm

Cool, unfortunately the problem with leangains doesn't lie in the meal timings, but rather in the fasting phase, I just can't fast when I'm constantly surrounded by food...also being in uni, I only get a five hour window to eat. I also enjoy basketball and play quite often in the fasted period, which leads to me not being able to give a 100% for my workout
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Tue May 22, 2012 1:57 am

ah i see. all the best then. looking forward to see progress.
Back to top Go down
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Tue May 22, 2012 9:55 am

Umm regarding your diet, since following leangains calls for high carb on workout days and low carb on rest days, seeing as to how you workout daily, what do you do? And can you post a sample of your diet, please
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Tue May 22, 2012 11:13 am

mainly i workout 3 times a week.
1-3 days would be light one or active recovery u may call it. and the remaining days would be complete rest.
i normally do a light one when im not as sore or i just cant help working out, otherwise, if im completely immobilize from last training, i would take 1-2 days off. depending on the damage haha. btw you should try the wingate duel training its cuh-ray-zee. main workout days i train at 7am-9am. active recovery can be in the morning just 1-2 hours before break fast or in the evening after 1 meal.

i normally train fasted early in the morning, my pre workout would be a teaspoon of honey and some tablets of spirulinas 1 hour before training. and 7g-10g BCAA supplement just 5-15mins before training. (this is optional if u plan to save $$$ or not into supplement, i use this because LG highly recommends this if u plan to train fasted, otherwise u can take the preworkout meal protocol).

my fasting period is normally 930pm-10pm till 1.30pm the next day.

i keep my food choices consistent. and i eat mostly at home. you can save a lot of $$$, make sure follow your parents to groceries whenever u have the chance, thats how i do. haha, but, can be a good son and help things out at the same time. anyways, i could actually count the times i eat outside with less than 5 fingers in a week (or maybe 3, sometimes 1 or zero). very rare in changes and it only comes during occasional events like going out with friends, wedding lunch or family dinners.

sample feeding phase
workout days
1.30pm: 1-2 piece banana, a bowl of bolognese pasta, treat (can be something like cheesecake or anything that satisfy your craving, something carb dense, but not too much)
5.30pm: another bowl of pasta bolognese or few slices of whole meal breads with peanut butter
9pm: fish/eggs/tempeh/rice/carrots and goats milk (sometimes)

rest days
1.30pm: 1 piece banana, 200g of minced beef cooked with cheese
5.30pm: pan fried fish fillets topped with cheese along with spinach
9.00pm: fish/eggs/tempeh/carrots

Back to top Go down
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Tue May 22, 2012 11:21 am

Crap bro, I couldn't train that way, and your diet seems quite strict :p ...how many calories do you get in bro? also what exactly is the wingate duel training? Couldn't really find it ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Tue May 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Holy crap bro...I need to thank you for all the great advice so far...it's been 3 days and I just checked my maxes again... My dips have increased to 5 already (and I wasn't even maxed out, still had one or two left in the bank) Pullups are still at 7 (but much slower and Wth better form) ... I've also switched my routine up to ... No routine... I realised I wasn't looking forward to the bar, due to everything beig so systematic... So ive decided to listen to my body and do whatever it feels like doing Very Happy... There is some procedure though, 2 sets of reps (leave one or two in the bank) of Pullups, pushups and dips ... Followed by fun on the bar Very Happy let's see how it goes (much more fun though :p)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Tue May 22, 2012 7:59 pm

3Dip Max wrote:
Crap bro, I couldn't train that way, and your diet seems quite strict :p ...how many calories do you get in bro? also what exactly is the wingate duel training? Couldn't really find it ...

i've been doing LG for 10 weeks and i must say strength wise been pretty getting good gains (also because i started to keep track of my max reps almost every week, this is very important so that u know your benchmark everytime u hit the bar and for progression), also its not strict. i dont take it as a diet.. but as a lifestyle, its really comfortable with me, plus im a Muslim so i adapt to it quick because im used to fasting. and i dont need to worry about eating breakfast. lol

rules of thumb on LG (what worked for me)
1. eat whole food and try not to drink your calories (sodas, sweet drinks, etc). doesnt matter what it is, as long its clean and not junk food.
2. high carbs, moderate/high protein, low fat on workout days.
3. high protein, moderate fat, low carbs on rest days.
4. i dont count my calories (because im just too lazy to do it), i listen to my body, i overeat on workout days and undereat (just slightly less then usual) on rest days. ideal is eat 20% calories more on W-days and 20% calories less on R-days.

and regarding to wingateduel - here's the training. it is one of zef's personal fav

"Very easy routine, it's better if you have a partner to do this one. "The Wingate duel" most of you seen me post a vid of O' and I doing this awhile back. It's one of my favorite routines that I do every time I get a chance to workout. **If you don't have push bar setup ,you can improvise with anything that you can change your push-up angle with**: it's basically a push up pyramid that you build twice in one set. You start with 1push up on the lower lever then another push up on the higher level, start with 1 all the way to 10, then 10 again then work you way down. A total of 220 in one set, to complete 5 sets is the goal. Try to find a partner to go back and forth with." - Zef

understand the explanation? basically you have to do 2 sets of pushups before moving on to the next 2 sets of pushups. for example

pushups on
high bar-lower bar
1-1
2-2
3-3
4-4
5-5
until 10-10, then repeat another 10-10
then reverse back to 1
to complete a round of 220 pushups.
zef's ideal is 5 rounds. i recommend just 3 for starters. form at every rep must be good ROM, and dont do pushups on the ground with this method (it will kill you hahaha) yet. try it out and let me know how is it. you can do this on workout days or even just 1 set during R-days to maintain the pushup groove. enjoy.

your most welcome bro. im not an expert, but i try to help things out with whatever i know. hope it helps. sunny
Back to top Go down
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Tue May 22, 2012 11:17 pm

Thanks man...will definitely try it out, though for the time being I'll have to do it alone :p I'm in Dubai, and most of my friends don't workout, and the ones that do, go to the gym to do a couple of bicep curls :p .... But ill definitely try it out, thanks bro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Wed May 23, 2012 12:56 pm

Just finished working out today, it's been around 2 hours, my longest yet Very Happy
2 sets close to max dips
2 sets close to max Pullups
2 sets close to max pushups
Pullups 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 (30secs rest)
Wide 1-2-3-2-1-1 (5s hold at top, 5s hold at bottom)
Chinups 1-2-3-2-1-1-1 (5s hold at top, 5s hold at bottom)
Random holds on the bar, focusing on back, biceps and abs
My own exercise (similar to rows but with a bar) basically I rotate so my feet are above the bar and pull myself up 1-2-3-4-3-2-1-1-1
Close grip Pullups 1-2-3-3-3-2-1-1
I didn't focus on a fast workout but rather drew it out , it was chilled out, but I felt really pumped at the end, really liked it :p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Wed May 23, 2012 7:19 pm

3Dip Max wrote:
Just finished working out today, it's been around 2 hours, my longest yet Very Happy
2 sets close to max dips
2 sets close to max Pullups
2 sets close to max pushups
Pullups 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 (30secs rest)
Wide 1-2-3-2-1-1 (5s hold at top, 5s hold at bottom)
Chinups 1-2-3-2-1-1-1 (5s hold at top, 5s hold at bottom)
Random holds on the bar, focusing on back, biceps and abs
My own exercise (similar to rows but with a bar) basically I rotate so my feet are above the bar and pull myself up 1-2-3-4-3-2-1-1-1
Close grip Pullups 1-2-3-3-3-2-1-1
I didn't focus on a fast workout but rather drew it out , it was chilled out, but I felt really pumped at the end, really liked it :p

i know how you feel bro. im used to working out 2 hours top as well. its chilled and u still feel greaat. what was your first set of max reps for dips, pullups and pushups? be sure to post it so that you can track your progress (and i can see as well) Wink
Back to top Go down
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Wed May 23, 2012 11:25 pm

Max pushups (diamond with one leg in the air)
Set 1: 8 with right leg up, 7 with left leg up
Set 2: 8 with left leg up, 7 with right leg up
Max Pullups
Set 1: 8
Set 2: 7
Max dips
Set 1: 6
Set 2: 5

I know it says max, but I always leave at least 1-2 reps left, so that I don't get burned out, this is only until my CNS gets stronger, as if I burn out, I'm not ready to give my all the next day
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Thu May 24, 2012 3:02 pm

Ate 3 texan chicken burgers for lunch, felt bloated and sick for cheating soo much, so started working out even though it was a rest day :p

Max pushups (diamond with one leg in the air)
Set 1: 8 with right leg up, 8 with left leg up
Set 2: 8 with left leg up, 8 with right leg up
Max Pullups
Set 1: 8
Set 2: 7
Max dips
Set 1: 7
Set 2: 6
Ladder pushups 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-1-0-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 (30secs rest)
Wide pushups 5-5-5-5-5 (5s hold at top, 5s hold at bottom)
Static holds, focusing on abs and shoulder
Dips 1-2-3-3-3-2-1 (30secs rest)
Decline fast pushups 20-20
Close grip pushups 10-10-10
HIP pseudo pushups 5-5-5-5-5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Thu May 24, 2012 11:42 pm

fantastic. definitely looking forward for quick improvements sunny
Back to top Go down
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Sat May 26, 2012 12:44 pm

Max dips : 8-8
Max Pullups : 8-8
Diamond pushups : 15-15*
Close grip Pullups: 1-2-3-4-4-4-3-2-1
Wide Pullups +5s hold at top & bottom : 5 sets of 3
Close grip chins : 8-7-8-7
Close Pullups : 6-5-5-4-4
Wide Chins : 6-6-6-5
Static holds focusing on abs and back
Pullups : 5-4-3-2-1

*i found this wierd. Normally I perform close grip with my left leg in the air, followed by my right leg in the air, getting a total of 16 reps, but today I performed with both legs together and got less
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Sun May 27, 2012 11:08 am

Max dips : 8-8
Max Pullups : 8-8
Max close pushups : 15-15
Dips : 1-2-3-4-5-5-4-3-2-1
Wide pushups with 5s hold at top and bottom : 5-5-5-5
Diamond pushups : 7-7-7-7
Incline pushups : 12-12-12-12
HIP pseudo pushups : 5-5-5-5
Static hold focusing on shoulders and abs
Pushups :10-10-10
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Digit

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Mon May 28, 2012 5:04 am

Mate i saw u used Armstrong Pull Up program in your first Log Post. : D . I used it for Pull Ups Dips and Push Ups for 5 weeks and i had great results.
Train hard !!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Dip Max

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   Mon May 28, 2012 10:04 am

Hey digit, do you have a training log of what your workout was exactly, if so please post the link, if not can you please give me your sample week breakdown? Because when I was on the program the workout only lasted like 15-20 mins... If it lasts longer like an hour or so, I enjoy it more... However please post your program, because if your gains were significant, I would like to try it despite the time...also, did you train dips and Pullups everyday, if so, how did you work then out exactly? Thanks man
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p   

Back to top Go down

New to the bar, gonna crawl until I can run :p
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next