Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LWT

PostSubject: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Tue May 08, 2012 6:36 pm

NYC Bar-Barians, Rick and Mark link up with London Bar-Barians, Jay, Lee and Sai to bring you the best body weight workshop/seminar out there cheers

http://www.boxrox.com/2012/05/bar-barians-seminars-at-crossfit-northampton-–-june-16-17/

Last edited by 70's Retro Warrior on Thu May 10, 2012 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jimsiff

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Tue May 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Looks fun... now I just need to find a way across the pond to check it out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:44 am

Man!.. I sign up.. i get interested.. and i find this seminar is THIS WEEKEND!

bugger.. wish i had found all this a few months ago and already been training. Sad Got no chance of even surviving the saturday, let alone sunday haha.. thats a few years away yet!

Are you allowing spectators?

Phil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:16 am

Any level is welcome to either day but the two are geared towards different levels with the saturday being more beginner oriented

Soooo, book on for the saturday and learn tonnes! Smile

(talking to Lee on facebook is the fastest/best way - i can give you links if you need)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:41 am

hmm it is tempting, and I have added Lee on Facebook..

but im totally new and well out of shape.. I only do martial arts and cardio really atm.. so i think i would be well out of my depth and laughable so i think ill wait till im more confident. the thought of even trying a handstand seems daunting atm lol.

I dont know.. maybe ill change my mind but im pretty sure anyone going there will be able to do more than like 17 pull ups.. thas a personal best (at SENI show at the crossfit stand haha) and even they werent full ROM.

I do have striking/Muay thai classes on the saturday too which i 'could skip.. dunno. I'll have a think. I'd love to come down sunday and watch/film though is spectators are allowed? Unlikely but worth asking
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:00 am

The guidelines for the Sunday is only 15 pull-ups (20 dips/30 press-ups) - I say only in that that's the guidelines for the advanced!

If you can manage a couple of pull-ups and dips i'm sure you'll be fine on the Saturday Smile feel free to message lee and see what he says, but i'm sure he'll say to come to the saturday Very Happy

As to filming etc, I have no idea - that's really lee's territory!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:11 am

well that sounds like my peak and as i say they are all terrible form with crappy range of motion..

i can do 50+ pushups if i dont chest-to-floor it haha. Ive not really done much in way of dips as not had access to park/gym equip that can do it until recently when i upgraded my gym/class membership to allow use of their gym too (gonna try that as a challenge tonight, the 15/20/30 after my classes). I think I might come sat if i complete that task without looking like im about to die. lol

sunday wise i just meant coming watching.. iphone-video'ing/photos etc to put in my 'crews' facebook group, on here and to use as motivation, pick up further tips without getting in the way etc.. however if i do travel down saturday i duno if ill come back on the sunday.. costs n all.

Thanks for the help Tim!

Phil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:26 am

What a weekend that was! Fantastic meeting Rick and Mark and catching up with Lee, Jay and Sai again.

Saturday was all about the basics - but by no means an easy day!

In the morning, after the warm up, we had an introduction to Push-ups, Dips and Pull-ups. This was fundamentally about getting the posture and form correct and focusing on full ROM. There were also easier variations being talking about and demonstrated, Australian pull-ups and bench dips.

All three must involve straight legs, held together. Breaking the L to full lockout and obviously, no kipping Wink.

Next we were split into two groups focusing on core, one on the pull-up bar, one on the parallel bars. Again form was picked up here.

For the pull-up bar the exercises were L-sits, cycling (esp backward cycling if you had lee talking to you... really confuses you!) and leg raises. The same three were also used on the Dip bars, but also included L-sit kicks.

So the morning was nice and easy, I think the only sort of workout in that section was a 2-10-2 Dip pyramid after the dip explanation.

Next up was a lunch break, and then on to the afternoon workout session... this catered for all, and left everyone dead!

For this we were split into 5 groups for a bit of a competition to see which team could get the most reps/last the longest.

As a warm-up for the afternoon we were set doing the upside of a pyramid, no rest what-so-ever.
1 Pull-up, 2 Dips, 3 Push-ups, then 2/4/6 3/6/9 - try and get as far as you can, first failed set and you're out.

Then on to the competition

MAX press-ups in 5 mins, The whole team had to maintain the press-up position for this, and you take it in turn to do as many reps as you want. As soon as you dropped out of the position you couldn't add more reps for your team (though your team could continue). The top 2 were 275 and 265

This was followed by Hang Tough - essentially the same thing as the previous exercise only for pull-ups! Think the top of this was about 75?

Longest L-sit was next, however this time it was the maximum time of your weakest link! Everyone up into an L-sit, then whenever the first person dropped their feet below the bars, that was your time. Think about 18s was the top of this.

A variation of the 5MW was next, normally this is done on your own and you have 5 mins to get 50 pull-ups and 100 press-ups. With this being a team that was increased to 100 pull-ups and 200 press-ups. Doesn't sound much when there's 5 in a team... however, only 1 person could be repping at a time and remember they had to be perfect form - if a rep wasn't, it wasn't counted! And all 300 reps had to be done in 300 seconds too!

No one finished this, however i think the closest got a score of 375 ish (pull-ups were worth 2, push-ups, 1)

Last set of the competition was Max dips. when you drop the next person takes over - no time limit. My triceps were burning by this point, but we just won this round with 116 i think with 115 in second!

The day was finished off with a buy-out consisting of each team going into the press-up position,, then walking one at a time 20m (still in the press-up position) once everyone got to the end, we had to go back to where we started... backwards. Then hold the position for 10s once everyone was back. Big thanks to Mark on that one who decided to join my team and go AS SLOW AS POSSIBLE Wink Razz

This really pushed everyone, and no one gave up Smile which was awesome. I felt so tired and aching by the end of the day! A bunch of us then went to the compound in kettering for a BBQ/ chill out and do a few more sets on the bars there Wink (which was a bit of a mistake Wink )

Sunday will have to wait till later, or for Phin.... (did I miss anything?)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Awesome report - thanks Tim Smile I might have to steal a bit of this when I get round to doing my blog post about the weekend!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Phin wrote:
Awesome report - thanks Tim Smile I might have to steal a bit of this when I get round to doing my blog post about the weekend!

Feel free Wink

I might have to leave you to do the Sunday as I'm not sure i'm going to have time before I head stateside! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Cool Smile Also, good call on the name change - stolen that idea off you Wink
Back to top Go down
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:13 pm

naise. sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/fiqqymickey
FlikstRR

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:14 am

this is gonan sound wussy... but OMG I'm glad i didnt go saturday..

I'd have died in the warmups alone and would have made a few enemies in the team i woulda been forced to join lol.

Im not joking when i say im new (and weak) haha. I best get training in preperation for the beginner day next year lol. Does sound like an ace day for those at the level though.

Look forward to the sunday report and hopefully some videos/pics of the action. Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am

You can see some of the photos (taken by Martin from Boxrox) here.
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Finished my write-up of the weekend. You can read it here.
Back to top Go down
Jono

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:02 am

I regret not coming to this event...

But I almost messed up my exams as it was... so if I came to this event as well, I might have not made it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/reincarnate100
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:10 am

reincarnate100 wrote:
I regret not coming to this event...

But I almost messed up my exams as it was... so if I came to this event as well, I might have not made it.

I'm pretty sure there'll be another one very soon Smile

Glad you made it through your exams though!
Back to top Go down
LWT

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback guys ... It was just as enjoyable for us too

affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend   

Back to top Go down

Bar-Barians UK body-weight seminar weekend
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1