Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

muscle up training advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wickedomar19

PostSubject: muscle up training advice    Sat May 05, 2012 3:54 pm

hi could someone who can do a MU give me some advice on training for it please. at the moment my routine is:

(30 sec - 1min rest max)

mon: ''Around the world'' 10 sets of 8 reps pullups,dips,pushups
tue: ATW: 10 sets of 8 reps neutral grip pullups, dips, dimond pushups
wed:ATW: 10 sets of 8 reps chinups,dips, handstand pushups
thurs: = mondays routine
fri: =weds routine

my MAX reps are : pullups 16, dips 16, pushups 50

how often should i be training high pullups (chest high) or anything eles ? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sosna

PostSubject: Re: muscle up training advice    Sat May 05, 2012 11:08 pm

I would say keep training the basics like you are doing and try to increase your numbers over the next few weeks and months. While doing that, watch loads of videos about them on youtube and really try and understand how it works. The main thing I struggled with at first was the idea of going round the bar. I was trying to pull straight up and go over (which won't happen unless you are really strong). So technique and timing of your Kip is crucial to achieving it for the first time. Your body should travel in a "C" shame round the bar, not an "I" which people think when they start.

As far as specific training goes try slow eccentric Muscle-ups (negatives) and as you have previously mentioned pull-ups till your chest touches the bar.

This video here is especially good at explaining the kip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozSt3VtE2mk&feature=plcp

I think to be honest you should do anything you can to get your muscle-up for the first time, because once you get it your body quickly realises the movement pattern.

Here is also a thread I posted a while back with my muscle-up progress from my first ever one. Check it out it may help motivate or just give you an idea of how I personally progressed.

http://bar-barians.forumotions.net/t3514-muscle-up-progression

Best of Strength to you.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
czar

PostSubject: Re: muscle up training advice    Mon May 07, 2012 8:44 am

Hey, well I would like to add something from experience. Now I can do like 3-4 mu with legs help. My weight is 90 kg.

1) I used to go into mu dip position and go down as possible to the point your back muscles also hold you as muscles used in dip phase. I used to do some static holds in this lowest possition. But i think you need to be careful, it's a lot of stress on triceps tendons and your elbows.

2) I've got like a 6 cm thick bar so I always did all pulling exercises with thumbs over. Kinda to make my grip stronger. Week ago I tried mu with thumbs under. My mu became like 2x faster. My wrist now rotates with my forearm, so there is less stress in the joint. What's important mu is more of a one motion.

3) Also my technique is better now: because of a thumb under I can do folowing: I pull myself back and upwards and then I pull the bar towards me and under my chest. Using the biceps in the process and having good grip coz of a thumb under.

4) Also used to do (as high as possible) the STERNUM pullups: http://relativestrengthadvantage.com/sternum-pull-ups-muscle-up-training/
I think it helps in some way. I cant say for sure coz I started doing mu differently. But it certainly teaches you to PULL as high as you can and trying to put the bar UNDER your chest.

5) Did a lot of high pullups UP and AWAY from the bar. It's also part of low phase of MU.

6) check this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6biMf2skiU , there are also some useful exercises to build strength. PS doing high/sternum pullups is pretty hardcore. I did highest as possible.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lolek

PostSubject: Re: muscle up training advice    Mon May 07, 2012 1:04 pm

hmm yeah iv been trying to get the Muscle up as well but its not working out for me. I also dont have room to try it on a bar as i got the ceiling right above me. I try and train them on the rings but I just cant get the motion to go over to the top phase of the muslce up.

I guess I just gotta get stronger or get the movement down for the muscle up. I use to do weighted pull ups with a 20lb vest I could do about 10reps I hoped this would get me ready for the muscle up, but I still gotta work on something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slimbolik

PostSubject: Re: muscle up training advice    Tue May 08, 2012 7:52 am

i found to get my first muscle up i done pull ups with my hands together (thumbs touching) and bringing my chest to the bar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lolek

PostSubject: Re: muscle up training advice    Tue May 08, 2012 9:41 pm

yeah thats what i read not to long ago, called sternum pull ups. Ima start doing them Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PullUpImpulse

PostSubject: Re: muscle up training advice    Fri May 11, 2012 6:32 pm

My experience with the muscle up taught me that, from my point of view, the most important exercises for hitting the MU is as follows,

Explosive pull ups : Man this one is extremely important. Maybe the most important part of the move. Because the muscle up is a kind a move that you need a tremendous amount of explosiveness at first. So, you must work on pulling the bar as far as you can. Like to your chest level and even if you can to the mid abs level. If you cannot yet even reach to your chest level you cannot do the muscle. So work for this 2 times a week. Like maybe 3 sets of 4 and gradually increasing the sets and reps each time.

Static Holds: This one is another important element that will carry you to the muscle up. So work for the static holds. At top, 90 degree elbow and deadhang without locking your shoulders. So maybe 2 times a week and 3 sets of for instance 15s at each three level mentioned above is ok for begining. Than gradually increase the sets.

Negative Muscle Ups: Find a way to go above the bar and lower your self down like you are doing a negative muscle up as slowely as you possibly can. At first you maybe will not be able to hold yourself at the transition but dont worry, intime you will manage to hold yourslef and this will have a good effect on your jurney to the MU. Maybe you can do 4 sets of 1 at first. Cocantrate on passing the transition part really slowly! This is very important IMO.

Straight Bar Dips. This one will also help. Go as deep as you can. Try to touch your chest to the bar and push up again. 2 sets of 3 for 2 times a week would be enough at first.

And another important thing is that, do not ever use your legs or anykind of kick or swing when doing pull ups. Purely use the stregth from your arms. Be so stiff when doing the pull ups and try to achieve at least 15 pull ups and 15 straight bar dips. Mean while you will acquire abundant amount of streght Smile

These exercises helped me alot to achieve the MU. But it will take some time. So do not worry and keep working hard. And as Sosna suggested watch loads of videos. Download them to your computer and watch them again. Memorize the motion. Read the articles around.

Goodluck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wickedomar19

PostSubject: thank you   Sat May 12, 2012 6:33 am

great thank you so much for all your help guys have more then enuf info now to learn the muscle up and alot of it i didn't know, really appreciate it and will hopefully get my first MU in a few months Smile peace
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ohiosteve

PostSubject: Re: muscle up training advice    Sun May 13, 2012 8:42 pm

There really aren't any secrets. Just get really strong in the right areas, meaning shoulders, arms, back, and abs. You should already be training all of these muscles so keep up with the basics and pull hard, push fast, and most importantly, practice the muscle up. It's a skill that takes practice to be mastered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: muscle up training advice    

Back to top Go down

muscle up training advice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1