Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

when it's time to go weighted?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mauretto

PostSubject: when it's time to go weighted?   Wed May 02, 2012 4:22 am

Hi all!

I've already did a search on the forum but i didn't find an answer to the question that's buzzing in my head in these last days.

I was wondering at wich point of the progression with bodyweight training should be the time for starting with some weight added on..

now my max reps are

pull up 18
push up 42
dips 32

Time to start with some added weight? If yes, how much weight and how often in a routine of 3 days a week of training should i go weighted?

Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: when it's time to go weighted?   Wed May 02, 2012 7:46 am

I dont think you need a vest yet when you can do sets of your reps close to your max reps then add something light like 20lbs. and repeat till you can do the same reps as before with no weight.For now kill the basics pull/push train your legs/core harder you will get stronger real fast if you train your legs high volume on your off days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mauretto

PostSubject: Re: when it's time to go weighted?   Wed May 02, 2012 8:46 am

Thanks for the hints but i don't think i've understood when to start with the 20lbs weight (sorry i'm from Italy so excuse me for my english).

Another cuple of questions... so you say it's better to do the leg train not in the days i'm doing calisthenics? Is that to maximize the work on the legs only? What would be an high volume training for the legs? Something like a 5x5 squat with heavy weights should be ok or should i add some more exercises?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
G@lvo

PostSubject: Re: when it's time to go weighted?   Wed May 02, 2012 1:51 pm

Ciao da un altro italiano!

I think you can achieve the best results combining both calist exercises and heavy workouts with heavy weights.
I have found with trial and error the right way to workout and eat for my body's needs.
It's only matter of experience imho.
For me, to build muscle one has to lift BIG weight, and strive to lift more weight or do more reps every workout.
You can start doing sets with weighted vest when you can do 3-4 sets of an exercise with a weight that is nearly 100% of your max for that exercise for a fair amount of reps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mauretto

PostSubject: Re: when it's time to go weighted?   Wed May 02, 2012 3:26 pm

Ciao! Di dove sei?

scusa ma non ho capito, cosa intendi per "3-4 set di un esercizio fatto con un peso che si avvicina al 100% del tuo massimo per quell'esercizio per un buon numero di ripetizioni"???

Cioè, in soldoni, se io adesso faccio 18 trazioni a corpo libero, con quanto peso aggiunto dovrei iniziare e per quante serie/ripetizioni?
Io pensavo di iniziare magari con 10kg e fare 3/4 serie a esaurimento, ma non so se sia corretto.

Sorry for speaking italian Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
G@lvo

PostSubject: Re: when it's time to go weighted?   Wed May 02, 2012 3:44 pm

Sono di PC!
A mio avviso dovresti cominciare a caricare nelle trazioni quando arrivi a fare un 3x10.
Nelle trazioni è sconsigliabile lavorare sempre al cedimento..
Io nonostante abbia cominciato da poco ad allenarmi sono passato a fare trazioni con anche 20 kg con dip belt.. ovviamente solo nel top set..
Se hai bisogno o vuoi scambiare due chiacchere mandami un pm con il tuo account skype.

I think you can do weighted chinups when you can do around 3x10 bw.
I think one shouldn't always train to failure with chinups..
Sorry for speaking italian guys Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: when it's time to go weighted?   Wed May 02, 2012 4:25 pm

I personally got stronger overall and can lift heavier weights with high volume vest training, i do 2-4 vest leg workouts 1,000 reps minimum each 1session with light vest 1min. rest every sets, 1session with no vest higher reps rest 20seconds to 1 minute max, 1 session heavy vest 1 heavy dumbbell higher rest 2mins. max, 1session of half the workout vest other half no vest 25 sec. rest + 10 sets of 90 stair sprints.

Also working your legs like this doesn't only make your legs strong it makes your body as a whole more powerful, i use to get real sore from 1,000 with the vest but i kept doing it sore till now i could do 4,000+ a week.

A typical leg day for me : w/med vest 50lbs.

12 sets x 25 squats w/1 min. rest = 300reps.

2mins. rest

12 sets standing lunges 20 reps+ 5 squats to end each set w/1min rest = 300 reps

2mins. rest

I remove the vest i feel extra explosive i then do 16 sets x 25 body-weight squats w/ :15-:25 second rest maximum.= 400 reps

This is my 1,000 rep squat routine but some days i will do 300-600 more reps. In the beginning i couldn't do each set consecutive so every time i approached this workout i kept setting standards, like lowering the rest times constant, and doing more sets with more consecutive reps, so i built up to doing these workout with lower rest times, and i now count only consecutive reps.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: when it's time to go weighted?   Wed May 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Oh yea about your ? on when to add the vest, i meant when you can do sets of your max reps.

now my max reps are

pull up 18
push up 42
dips 32

Add the light vest when you can do sets of 15+ pullups, sets of 40 +pushups,sets of 30+ dips about 3 sets each of maintenance then you should be ready to repeat the process with the light vest only once per week with the vest , while upping your reps without the vest and adding variations to each exercise and maybe adding pyramids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mauretto

PostSubject: Re: when it's time to go weighted?   Thu May 03, 2012 4:51 am

G@lvo wrote:
Sono di PC!
A mio avviso dovresti cominciare a caricare nelle trazioni quando arrivi a fare un 3x10.
Nelle trazioni è sconsigliabile lavorare sempre al cedimento..
Io nonostante abbia cominciato da poco ad allenarmi sono passato a fare trazioni con anche 20 kg con dip belt.. ovviamente solo nel top set..
Se hai bisogno o vuoi scambiare due chiacchere mandami un pm con il tuo account skype.

I think you can do weighted chinups when you can do around 3x10 bw.
I think one shouldn't always train to failure with chinups..
Sorry for speaking italian guys Smile

Io di UD

Essendo leggero (pure troppo, 62kg per 1.80m...difatto il mio obiettivo è anche mettere su un po di massa magra)adesso come adesso faccio tranquillamente un 4x12 con presa più larga delle spalle. con la presa a larghezza spalle anche un 4x15. Chin up (presa prona) idem 4x15. Grazie per la disponibilità! Very Happy

I am pretty light (maybe too much, i'm 62kg-137lbs for 1.80m-5ft11", in fact one of my goals would also be to put on some lean mass) Now i can do 4 sets of 12 reps with grip wider than my shoulders
With a grip wide like my shoulders i can do 4 sets of 15 reps. The same with chin ups

Last edited by mauretto on Thu May 03, 2012 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mauretto

PostSubject: Re: when it's time to go weighted?   Thu May 03, 2012 4:54 am

ironloo wrote:
I personally got stronger overall and can lift heavier weights with high volume vest training, i do 2-4 vest leg workouts 1,000 reps minimum each 1session with light vest 1min. rest every sets, 1session with no vest higher reps rest 20seconds to 1 minute max, 1 session heavy vest 1 heavy dumbbell higher rest 2mins. max, 1session of half the workout vest other half no vest 25 sec. rest + 10 sets of 90 stair sprints.

Also working your legs like this doesn't only make your legs strong it makes your body as a whole more powerful, i use to get real sore from 1,000 with the vest but i kept doing it sore till now i could do 4,000+ a week.

A typical leg day for me : w/med vest 50lbs.

12 sets x 25 squats w/1 min. rest = 300reps.

2mins. rest

12 sets standing lunges 20 reps+ 5 squats to end each set w/1min rest = 300 reps

2mins. rest

I remove the vest i feel extra explosive i then do 16 sets x 25 body-weight squats w/ :15-:25 second rest maximum.= 400 reps

This is my 1,000 rep squat routine but some days i will do 300-600 more reps. In the beginning i couldn't do each set consecutive so every time i approached this workout i kept setting standards, like lowering the rest times constant, and doing more sets with more consecutive reps, so i built up to doing these workout with lower rest times, and i now count only consecutive reps.

that's a MASSIVE volume of training man, i'm impressed Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mauretto

PostSubject: Re: when it's time to go weighted?   Thu May 03, 2012 4:59 am

ironloo wrote:
Oh yea about your ? on when to add the vest, i meant when you can do sets of your max reps.

now my max reps are

pull up 18
push up 42
dips 32

Add the light vest when you can do sets of 15+ pullups, sets of 40 +pushups,sets of 30+ dips about 3 sets each of maintenance then you should be ready to repeat the process with the light vest only once per week with the vest , while upping your reps without the vest and adding variations to each exercise and maybe adding pyramids.

thanks man, so i think i'lltry with a weighted workout this week and i'll report my feelings. However i still don't have a vest, so i was thinking about using a firm backpack with a 20lb weight inside
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: when it's time to go weighted?   Thu May 03, 2012 4:25 pm

I also dont have a vest and use backpack too. Just one advice is to make it close to urself and not let the bag be loose and touch ur lower back/a$$ cause if u do soemthing explosive it maybe hits u.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mauretto

PostSubject: Re: when it's time to go weighted?   Fri May 04, 2012 4:24 am

yep, i will use my dakine wich is a mtb backpack so you can set it very tight to your back and it won't move Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: when it's time to go weighted?   Sun May 06, 2012 7:22 pm

weighted always... now... anything else to me feels like a waste of time... I stil like to throw in a few BW sets.... but every thing that I do revolves around weight... get started... then you reach a point where you ask your self "why havent I been going weighted all along"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: when it's time to go weighted?   

Back to top Go down

when it's time to go weighted?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1